PDA

View Full Version : is there anyway to convert a speed tree into a static mesh

smerf1
04-19-2010, 04:33 PM
as we all know many speed trees can crap out the performance, yet if they were converted to static meshes, they wouldnt. i tried to convert it to a static mesh within the editor, but the option inst there.

is there another way?

FlynT
04-20-2010, 02:26 AM
only if you buy a license for either speedtree or the udk.

smerf1
04-20-2010, 07:32 AM
ahhh damn.

i read that 3ds max has a speed tree plugin. im gonna do some searching and find out how much that costs!

Analdin
04-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Or you can use Tree[d], it's free and produces .b3d models which you can convert to .obj meshes with Gile[s], also free.

smerf1
04-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Or you can use Tree[d], it's free and produces .b3d models which you can convert to .obj meshes with Gile[s], also free.

thank you for that, just downloaded it :D

is there anyway to export the textures on the model aswell from Tree[d] as i really dont fancy unwrapping a tree lol

Analdin
04-22-2010, 09:57 AM
You can do it that way: First set up your tree so that it looks good in Tree[d], then go over to Gile[s] and convert it to OBJ. Go into Blender, and there you can see the UV layout of the tree, size and move it until it fits into the grid squad. Then open up your painting software and put the textures right on the places you put the UVs (you should remember your UV layout easily, it only consists of 2 parts: leaves and trunk/branch geometry). Then scale your tree to about 100x the "normal" size (in blender, use s and then move your mouse around to scale it. There show up some numbers at the bottom of the window, thats the scaling).

Hope that helped you!
With that method, i made ~30 tree models (about 6 different "tree species").

BigDaz
04-23-2010, 02:47 PM
I don't think you need to do anything as complex as that.
Tree[d] exports textured .obj and .x models directly. You just need to copy the textures from the plugins/treed/textures directory to the same location as the exported file manually, it doesn't seem to do it itself.

Analdin
04-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Tree[d] doesn't export .obj files, just .b3d and .x files. Plus, you still got to resize the trees if you don't want to have incredibly small trees with messed up geometry.

taz1004
04-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Or if you had Maya, you can export paint effect trees as geometry.

Analdin
04-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Yes, but Maya isn't free ;) anyway, i do the tree generating like i decribed a few posts above :D

BigDaz
04-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Well mine exports obj..

http://i44.tinypic.com/2yyv0ug.jpg

Analdin
04-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Okay, i think i should head over to frecle.net and download the lastest version ;)
Thanks, BigDaz!

Ninjabuntu
04-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Wait a sec... Taz, there is a way to make trees in Maya? I have Maya Unlimited 2008 and It would just be best if I could generate my trees in one program rather then with a bunch of others.

If I misread this, Then that fine. but It would be cool if Maya had a sort of SpeedTree Clone Plug-in now wouldn't it...

I know blender kinda has one but it's a bit too complicated for me to understand... Yet.

Okay well that my question for the day now. Gonna have google this just in case its out there and easy to find.

Ghiest
04-26-2010, 05:46 AM
There really are no decent tree generaters for maya really, there are some foliage stuff for Max but the results take allot just to get good, I would personally use the speedtree method.