PDA

View Full Version : problems with UV while importing custom weapon

frozenfire2
03-01-2010, 01:32 AM
Hi guys, I'm trying out my hands on GeoDav's custom weapon tutorial, it seems that after importing the gun the UV seems to be very messed up. Anybody know why.

I am exporting from 3dsmax and I believe the UVW settings are correct in 3dsmax because I tried exporting it as .ASE file and import it in UDK , and after applying the material it looks correct.

However, when i export as PSK following the Video tutorial of GeoDav, it seems that after importing the UVW is messed up. Or could it be something else.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/719663/TEMP/Gun.jpg

same mesh ( before exporting ), same material ( in UDK ).

obihb
03-01-2010, 02:03 AM
Make sure to use only 1 UV channel with 1 material on the model before export. That's where I'd start checking, but I can't think of anything else that might cause this result, not that I know of anyway.

frozenfire2
03-01-2010, 05:27 AM
argh.. got this fixed. Actually it's the material ID instead of UVW Map Channel that I thought of, I changed all of it to the same one. I'm a bit confused here, does UE3 really don't support multiple material ID?

obihb
03-01-2010, 10:48 AM
You can use multiple material id's but there's a specific way to do so. You apply the id's on the faces, as you would normally, then apply a multi/sub material with the same amount of id's in there. For each of the sub materials you name them "Skin_00, Skin_01, Skin_02".. etc. And also make sure to have a diffuse map in each of the sub material diffuse slot.

frozenfire2
03-01-2010, 11:46 AM
ah yes yes.. silly me

if my gun has 5 mat id(somehow automatically set by 3dsmax)... .and my mat/texture only point to mat ID 1.. no wonder it only showed in front. thanks

edit : but still I don't get why when exported as .ASE it works.

geodav
03-01-2010, 01:57 PM
it's just one of those problems we have to work with, so long as you know what went wrong all well now, any more probs then just shout ;)

obihb
03-01-2010, 03:35 PM
With ASE also the material has to be applied correctly for multiple id's to work. I think it's probably because of how ASE files exports. So if you have 5 id's and 1 material, then after the export, ASE will have only 1 id because of the material so UDK use only 1 id. Which is why your ASE worked. But with PSK the ActorX exporter will still export the id's even though they are not able to be used by the UDK unless you had the correct materials applied. It's kind of weird but I think possibly an exporter oversight.

Raenz
03-19-2010, 01:07 AM
ah yes yes.. silly me

if my gun has 5 mat id(somehow automatically set by 3dsmax)... .and my mat/texture only point to mat ID 1.. no wonder it only showed in front. thanks

edit : but still I don't get why when exported as .ASE it works.

I was playing with the export thing today and ran into the same thing.
When you apply smoothing groups to the mesh based on what you want (i.e. 45 degrees>autosmooth, so on and so on), MAX will take the total number of independent smoothing groups generated and assign that many material IDs to the mesh.
As someone mentioned, you can easily fix that by just selecting all polys, and assigning one MAT ID.