PDA

View Full Version : Way to use staticmesh as a placeholder?

ShadeMistress
02-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Just a somewhat silly question. Since I am kind of stuck with using Blender at the moment and none of the export tools work very well for PSA/PSK as far as characters go, is there a way I can import a StaticMesh version of my character to take the place of the default UT3 robot?

Right now I am most focused on getting the gameplay elements in place and establishing the "feel" of the game, I can pretty it up with animations and cloth/particle effects later when it is actually needed.

I've got a few months before I can get a hold of Maya, so I am trying to get some of the UScript/Prototype Level Design done in the meantime.

Baphomeh
02-15-2010, 11:50 PM
use xsi modtool or look on my site for links to better/different blender exporters

http://underworldmmo.wordpress.com

musilowski
02-16-2010, 02:57 PM
use xsi modtool or look on my site for links to better/different blender exporters

http://underworldmmo.wordpress.com

How does this answer on how to get a static mesh to replace a skeletal mesh on a pawn? I'd like to know too. I can't animate worth **** and having an inanimate mesh of my character would be better than nothing (extending UDKPawn which doens't have a set mesh yet). Right now I'm using a sprite stick figure to see where the pawn is, but a mesh would be a better representation.

CoffeeGrunt
02-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Alot of people appear to use spheres as Pawns, so I'm guessing it's possible...

How to do it though, isn't a question I know the answer to...

micahpharoh
02-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Alot of people appear to use spheres as Pawns, so I'm guessing it's possible...

How to do it though, isn't a question I know the answer to...

I think that they still have them as skeletal meshes.

Denny
02-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Just make a skeletal mesh with one bone, it's better than nothing no? ;)

musilowski
02-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Just make a skeletal mesh with one bone, it's better than nothing no? ;)

Hmm, need to try that. :)

ShadeMistress
02-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Yeah I just thought of that after signing off and going to bed. I suppose I could just have a mesh all weighted to one bone.

I don't know jack about animating models even though I have been pouring over 3 books on it for weeks... It's just not in my skill set I guess, so I will need to get a rigging/animatoin artist when I have a more complete prototype demonstration finished.

I just think having a tangible example of the project available when recruiting will draw much more attention than another : "OMG I have a great Idea, help me do it!" thread. I figure if I show that I can do some work and am dedicated, it will attract the like-minded.

Thanks for the responses guys. :)

5hfifty
02-17-2010, 03:38 PM
I hope I haven't missed something in this thread but..

You could just replace the SkeletalMeshComponent with a StaticMeshComponent in the default properties of your pawn. I actually use a static mesh for my pawn as final.

I wonder why no one said this earlier, :p