PDA

View Full Version : Making a non-moving crowd

juicyj
02-15-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm trying to make a stadium full of spectators that will randomly play one of four different cheer animations.

I've tested the crowd system but it seems designed around spawning meshes at one point and having them run to a given destination. While the randomness of it is great, it's not really suited for what I need.

Is there an alternate way I can have 100 or so skeletal meshes play animations randomly?

Crozz
02-15-2010, 05:17 PM
I guess you could manually place the skeletal meshes out in the level, then make a script that
1) Grabs all of the skeletal meshes to be used into an array.
2) Iterates through them and plays the animations on some random condition.
Bonus) Change the script to it itself places the skeletal meshes in the level so the positions change every time.

Matinee can also control skeletal mesh animations through a dedicated track made exactly for that (see examplelevel that comes with udk). But, it isn't exactly random playback.

Denny
02-16-2010, 02:58 AM
You can make a simple AnimTree with just a Random Node and the animations you need, then place the SkeletalMesh Actors (or was it SkeletalMeshMat Actor?) with the AnimTree/AnimSets assigned to it. Depending on how you setup the conditions in the Random node you should get a good variation of animations playing on your spectators. I'd recommend making a set of Prefabs or Archetypes of your spectators, so you can quickly update all the spectators of the same type.

juicyj
02-17-2010, 05:40 PM
You can make a simple AnimTree with just a Random Node and the animations you need, then place the SkeletalMesh Actors (or was it SkeletalMeshMat Actor?) with the AnimTree/AnimSets assigned to it. Depending on how you setup the conditions in the Random node you should get a good variation of animations playing on your spectators. I'd recommend making a set of Prefabs or Archetypes of your spectators, so you can quickly update all the spectators of the same type.
Thanks for the help. I've created the AnimTree, but I'm not sure how to get it to play on the SkeletalMesh. I set the AnimTree and AnimSets in the SkeletalMesh properties, but it's not playing.

What else needs to be done?