PDA

View Full Version : 3d Modelling

Frantz
02-15-2010, 03:39 AM
I'm kinda new to modelling, so what is the best program for 3d modelling?

I heard Maya and 3ds max, which one is easier to use?

taz1004
02-15-2010, 03:49 AM
I've used both for more than 10 years. Max is the way to go for polygon modeling.

Frantz
02-15-2010, 04:06 AM
Is there any good 3d modelling software that's free? I'm reading that 3ds max and maya cost thousands of dollars >.>

ThePriest909
02-15-2010, 05:19 AM
Indeed they're both quite expensive products but in my opinion they worth the money. The free way leads to Blender. It can do pretty much the same stuff as Max or Maya.

FrozenDozer
02-15-2010, 08:52 AM
The thing is: Max/Maya/C4D and others are expensive because their development is not cheap. The software is industry standard and (nearly) free of bugs and flaws.

And here comes Blender: It's is Freeware, it's not developed by a paid (yes I know, it once was) team of programmers, it's made by people who like doing that in their freetime. You can't expect such high quality software there. One of the biggest flaws of Blender is (warning, opinion) the interface.

But you have to decide that. Give it a try :)

saymoo
02-15-2010, 11:23 AM
lightwave, modo, cinema4d, softimage, are all under 1000K USD, per seat. So that's cheap compared to the pricing of 3dMax and Maya packages.

Some fact based background about the manufacturer of 3dMax and Maya:
when Maya was still owned by Avid, through subsidiary alias wavefront, they had a PLE version, and discounts all the time, since autodesk (formerly known as discreet), took over, they quickly abondoned those versions!
it abuses the globaly utilization position of their products to drive up the prices to idiotic levels. Leaving the middle segment in the dark out of sudden. BAD business model, stopping creativity! the only thing they kept intact was softimage (pricing wise), feature wise, it's beyond maya.. but half of the maya/3dmax and global human race doesn't know this, since softimage is not much embedded in the 3d world as to 3dmax or maya (while it used to be strangely enough)

Then there was the competition! and their workhorses evolved quickly to beasts of huge magnitude:
The cheaper packages of any importance, like mentioned, are identical in basic modeling/animation posibilities and basic renders/texturing (that's all you need in games mostly). For high quality renders for movies or commercials etc.. Even here the lower priced 3d packages, currently, are very very close behind maya (just 1 fingertop behind :p) or beyond even at certain levels.
Heck, more and more developers are shifting to these " cheap" packages, cos they have better gui's to the end user. (more innovative, where max and maya stay the same look and feel of the interface (except for some color changes and very few new icons here and there.. but the basic navigation remains the same antique way.)

conclusion:
I don't say both MAX and MAYA are bad choices, heck no!
But they are way too overpriced nowadays (2010 and future), if you look at the current competition.
A few years back, then yes, it was rightly priced, since the competition was lightyears behind (excluding softimage), but that has rapidly changed.

BigDaz
02-15-2010, 02:51 PM
The big three are Max, Maya and Softimage.
Modtool is free (for non-commercial use). It's essentially a free version of Softimage, and has support for Unreal. It'd be my first choice.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?id=13571257&siteID=123112

Frantz
02-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Alrighty thank you for the help.

taz1004
02-15-2010, 05:54 PM
when Maya was still owned by Avid, through subsidiary alias wavefront, they had a PLE version, and discounts all the time, since autodesk (formerly known as discreet), took over, they quickly abondoned those versions!
it abuses the globaly utilization position of their products to drive up the prices to idiotic levels. Leaving the middle segment in the dark out of sudden. BAD business model, stopping creativity! the only thing they kept intact was softimage (pricing wise), feature wise, it's beyond maya.. but half of the maya/3dmax and global human race doesn't know this, since softimage is not much embedded in the 3d world as to 3dmax or maya (while it used to be strangely enough)

Alias was never a subsidiary of Avid. And if you think about it, the two giants that are left in 2D and 3D graphics industry, Adobe and Autodesk, have the most pirated graphic app in Max and Photoshop. And now they swallowed everyone. So you have to wonder if piracy actually hurt these companies or actually helped them by increasing the user base. People may use pirated softwares for learning them but they would buy them when they use it for business.

And the original poster asked about modeling... polygon I assume. And I haven't tried it for 4 years but Softimage doesn't have a great track record for being a good modeler. I'm sure you can do sufficient modeling but Max is still the king in poly modeling.

darthviper107
02-15-2010, 06:54 PM
lightwave, modo, cinema4d, softimage, are all under 1000K USD, per seat. So that's cheap compared to the pricing of 3dMax and Maya packages.

Then there was the competition! and their workhorses evolved quickly to beasts of huge magnitude:
The cheaper packages of any importance, like mentioned, are identical in basic modeling/animation posibilities and basic renders/texturing (that's all you need in games mostly). For high quality renders for movies or commercials etc.. Even here the lower priced 3d packages, currently, are very very close behind maya (just 1 fingertop behind :p) or beyond even at certain levels.
Heck, more and more developers are shifting to these " cheap" packages, cos they have better gui's to the end user. (more innovative, where max and maya stay the same look and feel of the interface (except for some color changes and very few new icons here and there.. but the basic navigation remains the same antique way.)

conclusion:
I don't say both MAX and MAYA are bad choices, heck no!
But they are way too overpriced nowadays (2010 and future), if you look at the current competition.
A few years back, then yes, it was rightly priced, since the competition was lightyears behind (excluding softimage), but that has rapidly changed.

Actually, Maya's price isn't as bad as it used to be, and while the price of 3ds Max has always been the same, that's actually been a good thing considering all the stuff they keep on adding without increasing the price.

Plus if you're on subscription which is very cheap you get updates without any additional cost.

Also consider that 3ds Max has the largest user base which means there's a ton of learning material available, same thing to a lesser extent with Maya.

saymoo
02-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Alias was never a subsidiary of Avid.
correct, i mixed up Softimage. :o

piippo
02-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Been using Luxology modo for about an year and a half. For me, it's the best tool out there. Intuitive, robust. Blender is another good choice. Maya doesn't feel fluid for me. Students can get pretty good deals on 3D packages.

Autodesk Education Suite for Entertainment Creation 2010 is $349.98 for:
Autodesk 3ds Max 2010
Autodesk Maya 2010
Autodesk Softimage 2010
Autodesk MotionBuilder 2010
Autodesk Mudbox 2010

That's a good deal, Mudbox is pretty sweet, even though ZBrush seems to be more popular.

sueds
02-22-2010, 12:51 AM
Also consider that 3ds Max has the largest user base which means there's a ton of learning material available, same thing to a lesser extent with Maya.

that not exact. Maya and Max differs in the use and production movie don't really use max, at least from my experience.

Max is widely use in game development and archiviz and maya more for cg animation but since you want to model for udk go for max

One piece of advice don't overlook tutorial like max essential or such stuff like that. 3d modeling is a big deal but understand the tool is another a lot too.

GRoss
02-22-2010, 01:10 AM
I am using Blender, after having used Maya 8.5 at university and I have to say that I much prefer Blender interface and handling overall - it just takes some getting used to. Sure Maya has some more advanced tools, but for game modeling it is very often not necessary.

junkens
05-10-2010, 07:25 PM
hmpf didn't know that softimage has actually a free version. Instant dl.
I tried blender and some other free modeller but I don't really get the hang on it.

Some time ago I had the chance to play with cinema4d around. I loved the interface and how easy I could learn that stuff.
but because of many people who were telling me that if I wanted to use models for a game I should use other software.. well.. tried others..stopped modelling. :D

Well, maybe softimage is going to satisfy my needs.. elswhere maybe I will get me a cinema4d at last. :D

but it's awesome that more and more high quality software gets a free license version.

danimal'
05-10-2010, 08:39 PM
- If you don't want to ever sell anything you make, XSI is probably your best "free" option.
- If you want to be able to sell stuff and insist on free, Blender is really your ONLY option.
- If you JUST want to model, look at Silo, it's a very competent modeler and is only I believe 100$ (but fair warning, it ONLY models).
- If you want to go "indie dev", look into Cinema 4d and Modo for professional applications that model an animate and only cost around 1k.

Opinions: Blender is a fairly incompetent modeler, it not only lacks a ton of tools, those tools have few options and probably the least efficient interface I've ever seen. Blender will also force you to learn a system/interface that will not carry over into any other program (unless you consider that doing the exact opposite of every other 3d program teaches you them by proxy). XSI is a good, competent modeler. I prefer Cinema4d's poly tools over Modo's by a fairly significant amount, but I know plenty of people who dig Modo. The most overlooked aspect of polygonal modeling is workflow, and in my mind, what separates the good from the bad. Virtually any program will extrude, bevel, or add edge loops. The real question is how many times do I have to click to accomplish those tasks. Basic selection and tool workflow is a huge deal, if a program makes me take 2 clicks where the other takes 1, it adds up really fast where you end up selecting and invoking tools hundreds/thousands of times per session.

Disclaimer: I've used all of the above programs, but have largely been a long term Maya user who is probably switching to Cinema4d.

avoak
05-13-2010, 07:57 PM
don't go with 3ds max or maya if you don't have the money

Phylik
05-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Blender is not that slow:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HcOlAb7HzyI&feature=related

Blain
02-08-2012, 04:47 AM
Wings3D is excellent. Check it out.

http://www.wings3d.com/

WedgeBob
02-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Another good set of tools to use right now, believe it or not, are Hexagon, Bryce, and DAZ Studio... Sure, they may not be the best substitutes for anything with Autodesk in the name, but...for now, they are free to download through the end of the month. So I'd give them a chance and see what you think about using objects made in those in the UDK environment. They probably might work...doesn't hurt to try.

In a way, Hexagon does have the same interface and modeling control that Maya has, but the export options are pretty limited...but you can however bridge your models into DAZ Studio, and you can export to .FBX from within there if you wanted to...just make sure you buy the decimator or Game Developer's Kit in order to bring the models you make there up to code for UDK use, tho.

http://www.daz3d.com/

Anartist
02-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Is there any good 3d modelling software that's free? I'm reading that 3ds max and maya cost thousands of dollars >.>

I know ppl who have successfully modelled and rigged a UDK character in Blender, which is free.
I don't dig the interface, but it is free and it does work with udk

There is one called wings 3d which is free

for cheap there is the MAGNIFICENT Nevercenter Silo for like $100
http://www.nevercenter.com/silo/
it works with zbrush too.
however, it does NOT create rigs, its only a modeller
and right at this moment they don't natively support FBX
but maybe a few emails from udk users could convince them to add some fbx export

MessiahStudio can rig and animate, but doesn't model, and can be found cheap (like $200ish)online because the company gives good deals.

You can also dl the softimage modtool still and use it to model and rig
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?id=13571257&siteID=123112
I would grab it if I were you. I have it archived.
I think autodesk will pull it soon like they did with Gmax, which was decent at 29 megs
this is the dl page:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=13571320

I think the actorx plugins work best in max and maya,
but I know you can get actorx to work from the modtool because I've done it a couple of times for both static mesh and skeletal meshes. I did not export animations, but was able to imort the skeleton, unfortunately my base rig was based on HL2 skeletals so I could not link up the animation in that test, it looked fine in the viewer in udk though.
I seem to remember a bit of dimensioning issues at first, but they were remediated.
I was able to import a custom model properly mapped with minimal uv seams.
I believe I made those maps and some original tweaking of the mesh in C4D and C4DBodyPaint then sent them to the modtool to test uv, tweak, and export to UDK.

I think that between max and maya, if you have a choice, maya has more zbrush->maya->udk tutorials available
but I personally find max a bit easier for some reason at low poly
I can't explain why
but my first modeller was LW

I find silo easier to model with now, after zbrush, because it has a symmetry mode and excellent edge looping and quick extrusions of low poly meshes while seeing the subdivided results interactively.
but with low poly normal mapped models, even the mod tool will work

right now I think zbrush is the way to go for creating normal maps of high poly characters, but any of the above tools will allow you to create a low poly mesh to uv the normal map to.

Its when you want to create custom animations that you'll need to use fbx and rigging
but you can do a lot of level design static mesh and replacement skeletal mesh work before needing to rig and animate.

autodesk has a free fbx converter as well which they have a link to on the udk wiki article regarding fbx