PDA

View Full Version : How Does 1 gig/sec Sound to You?

boltokPwnage
02-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Google to launch turbo-speed Internet trials
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/10/AR2010021001649.html?wpisrc=nl_natlalert)

Google, the world's biggest online search engine, wants to turbocharge your Internet connection.

The company said Wednesday it is getting into the broadband service business with trials for fiber networks that will deliver Internet access speeds that are 100 times faster than what most Americans are getting today.

With its announcement, the Internet juggernaut added to a fast-growing list of industries it has barreled its way through. Tuesday, it announced a social networking feature directly aimed at Facebook. Late last year, it got into the cellphone business with a smartphone to rival Apple's iPhone and Research in Motion's BlackBerry. The list goes on: The book, music, video, newspaper and map businesses have all been shaken by Google's steady march to place its marker on those industries for the Web.

continued (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/10/AR2010021001649.html?wpisrc=nl_natlalert)

The company said it will build fiber-to-the-home connections to a small number of locations across the country that will deliver Internet access speeds of 1 gigabit per second. It will take bids from municipalities beginning through late March to determine what areas would be part of its experiment. Google said access prices for consumers would competitive and that its network would reach at least 50,000 and potentially up to 500,000 people. A source who spoke on the condition of anonymity said the company doesn't currently have plans to expand beyond the initial tests but will evaluate as the tests progress.

Google will take over the planet one day.

iEat Locust
02-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Old News but you can get way faster connections....all about $$$$.....

Plus google will only supply to a tiny population...as more people get on to it i bet you will see TM....

LarryLaffer
02-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Old News but you can get way faster connections....all about $$$$.....

I guess no matter how good some news are, there will always be someone saying you can do better than that. But really.. you can get way faster connections than 1 GIG per second? I'd love to see your provider..

evilchris2003
02-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Google is Skynet in the making

Its been that way for a while

So if your surname is conner dont be too suprised when the Google1000 tries to track your a$$ down

TAO Devil
02-10-2010, 03:19 PM
I guess no matter how good some news are, there will always be someone saying you can do better than that. But really.. you can get way faster connections than 1 GIG per second? I'd love to see your provider..

lol. university here has 2.3 gigs/second

iEat Locust
02-10-2010, 03:52 PM

I could get my own Private Fiber Line thats 10 Gigabits/sec for a one off installation fee of 10,000 and then 6,000 a month.

But since servers cant even max out my current speed why bother?

HMFIC08
02-10-2010, 04:11 PM
I could get my own Private Fiber Line thats 10 Gigabits/sec for a one off installation fee of 10,000 and then 6,000 a month.

dont think so....

Technology: OC48

Speed: 2.488 Gbps (Gigabits per second)

Description: Optical carrier (multiple strands of fiber) connected by equipment capable of speeds up to 2.488 Mbps.

Application: Large enterprise or ISP backbone.

Pros: Extremely high speed and throughput.

Cons: Extremely high cost.

Costs: Expect cost of an OC48 to start at around $3-500,000 for a stable, reliable system (e.g. from a Tier 1 provider)..... plus several hundred thousand dollars in setup costs. However....the pricing for these connections can vary widely depending on the carrier, location of service and the application for which the connection is being used. A Tier 1 provider should always be the provider of choice for any business serious about the quality of their OCx network.

iEat Locust
02-10-2010, 04:21 PM
dont think so....

Technology: OC48

Speed: 2.488 Gbps (Gigabits per second)

Description: Optical carrier (multiple strands of fiber) connected by equipment capable of speeds up to 2.488 Mbps.

Application: Large enterprise or ISP backbone.

Pros: Extremely high speed and throughput.

Cons: Extremely high cost.

Costs: Expect cost of an OC48 to start at around $3-500,000 for a stable, reliable system (e.g. from a Tier 1 provider)..... plus several hundred thousand dollars in setup costs. However....the pricing for these connections can vary widely depending on the carrier, location of service and the application for which the connection is being used. A Tier 1 provider should always be the provider of choice for any business serious about the quality of their OCx network.

I do think so because i got quotes of several companies.

And im not in the USA....

UK is a lot smaller you see....

HMFIC08
02-10-2010, 04:29 PM
I do think so because i got quotes of several companies.

And im not in the USA....

UK is a lot smaller you see....

Really....

The Technology Strategy Board (TSB), an executive non-departmental public body (NDPB) established by the Government (UK) and sponsored by the Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills (DIUS), has invested 1,000,000 into over a dozen research projects for the development of ULTRA Fast 1 and 10Gbps broadband technologies.

The feasibility projects - each costing between 30,000 and 100,000 - will also help establish European collaborations and form part of larger EU-funded research projects. The ultimate aim, the development of pan-European Ultra Fast Broadband, could see EU companies gaining a massive competitive advantage on a global scale.

Mike Biddle, lead technologist at TSB, said: "Putting together an optical broadband capability across the whole of Europe, will fundamentally change the way that businesses operate and will give European companies a major competitive edge.

Imagine the efficiencies that could be achieved through broadband that is up to 1,000 times faster than we have now. Then add the opportunities for more flexible working arrangements, including an increase remote working and you begin to see the many advantages."

It's good to see a proactive initiative being taken on broadband technology research. Still, developing a technology and finding a government willing to spend the billions it might cost to roll the service out are two completely different things.

Hopefully, if the TSB has any sense, their research will concentrate on ways to utilise existing fibre optic cables and networks to push future services. The other issue is likely to be whether or not the Internet itself could handle the new bandwidth. Then again, you won’t be getting a 1Gbps+ connection to your home anytime soon

this article is from June 2009

iEat Locust
02-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Really....

The Technology Strategy Board (TSB), an executive non-departmental public body (NDPB) established by the Government (UK) and sponsored by the Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills (DIUS), has invested 1,000,000 into over a dozen research projects for the development of ULTRA Fast 1 and 10Gbps broadband technologies.

The feasibility projects - each costing between 30,000 and 100,000 - will also help establish European collaborations and form part of larger EU-funded research projects. The ultimate aim, the development of pan-European Ultra Fast Broadband, could see EU companies gaining a massive competitive advantage on a global scale.

Mike Biddle, lead technologist at TSB, said: "Putting together an optical broadband capability across the whole of Europe, will fundamentally change the way that businesses operate and will give European companies a major competitive edge.

Imagine the efficiencies that could be achieved through broadband that is up to 1,000 times faster than we have now. Then add the opportunities for more flexible working arrangements, including an increase remote working and you begin to see the many advantages."

It's good to see a proactive initiative being taken on broadband technology research. Still, developing a technology and finding a government willing to spend the billions it might cost to roll the service out are two completely different things.

Hopefully, if the TSB has any sense, their research will concentrate on ways to utilise existing fibre optic cables and networks to push future services. The other issue is likely to be whether or not the Internet itself could handle the new bandwidth. Then again, you won’t be getting a 1Gbps+ connection to your home anytime soon

this article is from June 2009

You clearly dont understand with "Just My House" and "the whole of the UK" being different.

http://www.xifos.net/leased-lines

They will give you one...

http://www.globalaxs.com/products-and-services

HMFIC08
02-10-2010, 04:40 PM
You clearly dont understand with "Just My House" and "the whole of the UK" being different.

Oh so just your house can get it. Okay.....

RockChucker
02-10-2010, 04:40 PM
1 gig/second sounds great, but hitting the lottery sounds great too!!!!! :D

Unfortunately, the odds of me winning the lottery and the odds of google bringing that 1 gig service to my area are about the same. :(

It wouldn't matter, even if I had that kind of connection, I still wouldn't be able to get host against some kid from Mexico with turbo boosted dial-up. :eek:

iEat Locust
02-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Oh so just your house can get it. Okay.....

Retard.

Just my house is cheaper than the whole of the UK.

Understand?

Laying Fiber for my house and leasing the line is cheaper than Laying the whole of the UK with Fiber Lines for 10 Gb...

sprunky
02-10-2010, 06:29 PM

Because you can't afford 6000 pounds a month? And only 0.0000001% of the earths population can :P?

bilbob85
03-25-2010, 05:06 PM
just to bump a old thread instead of creating a new one,
im moving house on the 6th of april and just ordered my new internet, bye bye 0.5mbs, say hello to 50mbs
Never going to feel bad about hosting again!
even though my missus isnt to happy with the disconnection fee's.

PSYCHOTIX
03-25-2010, 05:14 PM
what i would give to be in one of these test areas..............

gearbean
03-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Google is Skynet in the making

THat's been my theory for a while too!!!! On May 12, 2011, Sk...er..Google became self-aware.....

I am an early adopter of high speed internets. Currently have verizon Fios and would gladly pay for gigabit whatever the cost when it comes out :)

Wayfer Guy
03-25-2010, 06:06 PM
I think there's another country that needs it more than us...
|
|
|
V

Rtma
03-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Dream Crusher.