PDA

View Full Version : Checkpoints/Saves

Killermud
01-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Does anyone have an idea as to how to make this work? Want i want to know is how to store the world data somewhere so that the user can come back and load this checkpoint/save.

Anyone have an idea?

chess
01-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Check out how to write into the .ini files. (There's a code called sapitu in the documentation that does exactly that).

Killermud
01-30-2010, 09:56 AM
I've read that but is there no better way than to save every detail in the .ini files? Like make a hard file? Plus im not sure if that method saves the current state just characters which is of no use to me. I need to have it so that it saves the data of everything in the level.

chess
01-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Well, i think there's no better way, maybe writing a function in a dll, but i don't know how that works... or an external program and acces it via TCPLink, still, you'd end up writing a lot of information but in different places.
About sapitu... it just saves data... you can modify the variables and their values however you like :S.

Killermud
01-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Ok ill try using the saiptu scripts, but does anyone know how to get the data of the current state so, which Pawns are still active and info like that?

chess
01-31-2010, 12:52 AM
You mean like if a pawn has died or something like that? You could write the data on the death event, or any other event, such as:
Pseudo code:

event dead() {
Pawn32 = 0;
}

Killermud
01-31-2010, 08:52 AM
Well not dead pawns, just active ones, i need to make it so that when someone saves at a time when theres alot going on it records all the pawns in the level, so where they are how much health they have etc.

phale
01-31-2010, 09:38 AM
you're going to have to look at how world info works and how to get information for each actor you want to save data for. i'd think a custom .ini for the save data is a good place to start, writtern through a SaveGame class and then read by a Loadgame (names may be reserved).
It wont be as simple as simply taking a "screenschot" of that tick in the map (awesome if it is), and then you have things like what AI was going to do, what events were / are / have happened. Things like pawn info seems like the least of your work, but i do believe there'd be some kind of way to work around having to script native. Just need to do a lot of research or ask nicely someone who worked on bioshock or Arkham...?? I think i've seen a few classes in the source called savegame / autosave or something similar. Not what i'm focusing on learning though so sorry I can't help more