PDA

View Full Version : Problems on importing meshes .fbx

roberdan
12-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I am new with the UDK, yesterday I downloaded the last December relelase, I have tried to import some assets inside the UDK they are in .fbx format who seems now supported but I am having errors.

As soon as i click on import a pop up show with the Failed import message.

These same meshes I have imported in every other 3d package and game engine without problems so I dont know why I have errors. Is anyone here having the same problems importing these?

I have exported in the .fbx from my 3d model program C4D 11.0

If you have any suggestion thanks.

ShawnBaxe
12-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Static meshes for UDK should be in ASE-format, skeletal meshes must be PSK, and animations in PSA-format. Don't know if there's native support for FBX in UDK.

roberdan
12-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Static meshes for UDK should be in ASE-format, skeletal meshes must be PSK, and animations in PSA-format. Don't know if there's native support for FBX in UDK.

Thanks for your answer, apparently there is they have added it in the last patch "i think" it was not there in the UDK from November 09, but now when you click import there is the .fbx import for fbx meshes and skeletal meshes. But For some reason as soon as i click OK I get pop up Import failed.

roberdan
12-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Unfortunatly as long as there is no way to import my own models I cant really make any use of the UDK, so I will wait to see if there is going to be different importing formats in the future, none of the mentioned are disponible either in Zbrush and in Cinema4D which has most of the formats.
IMHO there should be a plaing .OBJ or a fix for the .FBX because right now it doent work, I am not asking to have a specific format like C4D but one that is included to any 3d model program.

For now I will try to use a old XSI version just to see if I can use it to export in .ase

tesco
12-26-2009, 06:50 AM
.fbx format appears as an import option but failed for me also ?

amigoface
12-28-2009, 02:40 AM
the fbx importer fail to me too

i exported it from blender

the .ase exporter didn't give me the correct materials count in udk

:eek: help !!!!

Ardan
01-02-2010, 02:58 PM
lets hope it gets fixed in the next beta release

ali rafaty
05-08-2010, 04:17 AM
hi all.

set like this:
http://img1.hugeup.com/t/05072010/d216b5416.jpg (http://hugeup.com/v/d216b5416)

danimal'
05-08-2010, 08:47 PM
FBX works since March, alternatively if you're having issues, try Collada.

ali rafaty
05-10-2010, 01:32 AM
Ugh, don't comment if you don't know guys. FBX has been supported since March, and is the direction UDK/Epic is moving the pipeline since it allows one filetype to be used for all static/skeletal meshes. I've actually begun using it as my primary export from Maya.

It's really picky about the settings of your FBX export. If you don't get the right settings, you will get an Import Failed. One of the more common reasons for failing is that the export isn't exporting Smoothing Groups. Play with the export settings until you figure out the right ones from your app, sorry I can't help with C4D's settings. Maya's 2011 FBX export options work correctly out of the box, I'm just not sure what C4D's options are. Try playing with all of your settings, turning them off/on and trying to import. If you really get stuck, screen shot C4D's export settings for fbx, and I'll look for the equivalent in Maya and tell you what the settings are.

wow.you know,as you see in my picture.the object in udk work good!!i can assign material...

ali rafaty
05-10-2010, 01:32 AM
Ugh, don't comment if you don't know guys. FBX has been supported since March, and is the direction UDK/Epic is moving the pipeline since it allows one filetype to be used for all static/skeletal meshes. I've actually begun using it as my primary export from Maya.

It's really picky about the settings of your FBX export. If you don't get the right settings, you will get an Import Failed. One of the more common reasons for failing is that the export isn't exporting Smoothing Groups. Play with the export settings until you figure out the right ones from your app, sorry I can't help with C4D's settings. Maya's 2011 FBX export options work correctly out of the box, I'm just not sure what C4D's options are. Try playing with all of your settings, turning them off/on and trying to import. If you really get stuck, screen shot C4D's export settings for fbx, and I'll look for the equivalent in Maya and tell you what the settings are.

wow.you know,as you see in my picture.the object in udk work good!!i can assign material... forget it!

anthonymcgrath
10-18-2011, 09:44 AM
hey guys can anyone share with me how i can export out a skeletalMesh character using FBX please? I'm having real issues finding the right settings with maya?

anthonymcgrath
10-18-2011, 09:47 AM
hhahahahaa - not 20 secs after posting this i find the issue...

exported by selection (joints and meshes selected in scene)

in the fbx settings instead of USER DEFINED I used the default AUTODESK settings.

exported without issue

imported into UDK without any issue - full skeletalMesh with the correct normals on my model - I find that actorX keeps automatically smoothing all my normals on my mesh!

ta
ant

anthonymcgrath
10-18-2011, 09:57 AM
edit - worth noting that you can turn on baked smoothing groups using actorX - just type axoptions, check the tickbox and when you export - correctly normal'd characters :D