PDA

View Full Version : Blender and light maps

Bobreg
12-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I followed this great detailed stone tutorial by Pelle Johnsen ...
http://vimeo.com/5667694

My problem is that after importing the low poly mesh and textures into UDK, the stone never lights properly. I can see where the faces are and the smoothing is mostly gone. I tried deleting all extra UV channels, adding one with the same unwrap, adding one with smart projections...etc... nothing seems to work.
Does anyone know what I can do to get the light maps working?

iniside
12-15-2009, 03:51 PM
UV maps for LightMap must be:
a) second, third and above layer
b) Elements cannot overlay each other. Everyone must be seprate.

Bobreg
12-15-2009, 08:51 PM
I good with a) and b) but I still have the same problem.

kat
12-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Sounds like whatever format you're using isn't saving the smoothing information.. you're not using ASE by any chance are you as you don't say in you initial post (always a good idea to provide that info btw). Also are you sure you're using a format or export tools that exports multiple UVWs?

Bobreg
12-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Sounds like whatever format you're using isn't saving the smoothing information..
I'm using the py srcipt goofosASE-2.44v0.6.10b_UT.py (all options enabled except -Center Objects- ) to export the mesh as an ase file from Blender 2.49b.
The collisions work fine when I include them. The meshes are scaled up by 32 before export but I tried without scaling and there was no difference.

I also just tried exporting in a collada1.4 dae file format (options on - apply modifiers - use UV image mats - Use relative paths - Triangles - export only selected). There was no unusual light shadows but I lost ALL smoothing.

I wonder if maybe I'm also missing some settings in the UDK mesh property settings.

--- IN ADDITION --- if that's your site I gota say thank you so much!! I have really enjoyed the reading and downloads at katsbits.com.