PDA

View Full Version : Teleporting Greed skulls [Solved]

Odedge
12-01-2009, 03:44 AM
Is there anyway to teleport Greed skulls in Kismet? I have it setup to teleport a player to a random player start if they fall of the edge. They take some damage, but usually survives. This help keep players in the game a bit longer.

It would be nice to teleport any skulls that fall off the mapp (which happens enough) to a random player start as well. Is this possible in Kismet?

SEBASTIEN-NOVA
12-01-2009, 03:01 PM
I know nothing about greed game mode but, I think the skulls are a special actor, so you can put a trigger volume on the place they can fall, and filtre the trigger volume class with the class of the skull...Then make a kismet seq when skull touch the trigger volume an teleport it to the player start.

Odedge
12-01-2009, 11:35 PM
and filtre the trigger volume class with the class of the skull...

For some reason, I always forget you can change this. After some tweaking, I got it to work (at one point, bio-goop was teleporting too!). Now I need to add something for the skulls to come out from (static mesh) as the just appear from no where!

Actually, this will help with my Beyond Unreality map and my O-bert map. Glad to have you back and active in the mapping scene. ;)

Edit: I browsed the pickups.upk package and made my own unofficial pickup that will spit out any skulls that fall of the playing area of the map. Now I need to come up with a cool name for it!

SEBASTIEN-NOVA
12-02-2009, 12:16 PM
For some reason, I always forget you can change this. After some tweaking, I got it to work (at one point, bio-goop was teleporting too!). Now I need to add something for the skulls to come out from (static mesh) as the just appear from no where!

Actually, this will help with my Beyond Unreality map and my O-bert map. Glad to have you back and active in the mapping scene. ;)

Edit: I browsed the pickups.upk package and made my own unofficial pickup that will spit out any skulls that fall of the playing area of the map. Now I need to come up with a cool name for it!

Cool, if I can help ;)

HO0815XX
12-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Is there anyway to teleport Greed skulls in Kismet? I have it setup to teleport a player to a random player start if they fall of the edge. They take some damage, but usually survives. This help keep players in the game a bit longer.

It would be nice to teleport any skulls that fall off the mapp (which happens enough) to a random player start as well. Is this possible in Kismet?
I have a similar problem on 2 of my greed maps. How have you solved it ? Can you explain it exactly ? Maybe a little tutorial :D

Odedge
12-02-2009, 08:42 PM
1. Place a trigger volume wherever a skull can go out of the playable area of the map. Select it, then go to Kismet.

2. While the volume is selected, add a Touch event, which will automatically assign it to the trigger volume.
2a. Make sure "bPlayersOnly" is unchecked, change the "ClassProximityTypes" to "UTGreedCoin", and the "MaxTriggerCount" to 0. You maight also want to set the "ReTriggerDelay" to 0.00 as there can be many skulls falling at once.

3. Add a Teleport node.

4. Select a pathnode or player start you want the skulls to appear (in this example, I only have one, but in another map, I have a random node that connects to 4 different path nodes for some randomness).
4a. You might want to disable the nodes so bots don't use it. It will reduce the chance of them being in that spot when a skull appears (though I don't know exactly what the engine will do when that happens).

5. Connect as pictured.

Let me know if you have any other questions. This is a quick "how to" and I can make a more detailed one with a "snippet" to copy and paste into your map.

Also, you might want to create something to visually show something is actually shooting the skulls out instead of magically appearing. I looked in the pickups.upk and pieced together my own "skull returner base".

http://odedge.com/forums/ut3_kismet_06.jpg

HO0815XX
12-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Thank you very much, Odedge ! I'll test it out ! :)

Also, you might want to create something to visually show something is actually shooting the skulls out instead of magically appearing. I looked in the pickups.upk and pieced together my own "skull returner base". This sounds very interesting.

Edit: Tested it ! Works absolutely great ! Thanks again !

Odedge
12-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Edit: Tested it ! Works absolutely great ! Thanks again !

No problem, Seb and I are happy to help out!

HO0815XX
12-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Also, you might want to create something to visually show something is actually shooting the skulls out instead of magically appearing. I looked in the pickups.upk and pieced together my own "skull returner base".I followed your suggestion, and made this as >SkullSpawnBase< :)
http://www.pictureshoster.com/thumbnails/b89gr6eo4aa50obx3l_thumb.jpg (http://www.pictureshoster.com/hosted-pictures/jpg/b89gr6eo4aa50obx3l.html)

4a. You might want to disable the nodes so bots don't use it. It will reduce the chance of them being in that spot when a skull appears (though I don't know exactly what the engine will do when that happens).I've tested it. When you stay on the spawnbase, the only thing that happens is... you earn the skull :D

Odedge
12-06-2009, 11:42 PM
I followed your suggestion, and made this as >SkullSpawnBase< :)[/URL]

Ahh, nice. It's very "straight to the point". The one I made isn't as obvious that it returns skulls and looks a bit like a tornado (but very small).

[quote]I've tested it. When you stay on the spawnbase, the only thing that happens is... you earn the skull :D

OK, good to know. I didn't know how the game would handle it (having a player on the node and a teleporting a greed skull in the same location.