PDA

View Full Version : Custom Skeleton

JasonX
11-23-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm working with my player models and i'm almost finished with the animations. Problem is: my rig is completely custom and very different than the default UT3 rig. How can i configure my models, once exported, to work in the engine? Any special guidelines?

micahpharoh
11-23-2009, 12:35 PM
It should work just fine, unless you're planning on making it a playable character, or AI controlled character. Then I'm sure they're are probably some rules to follow.

JasonX
11-23-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm creating a player model. I need to now which rules... maybe bone naming, special bones, or something? Could not find any specific instructions. All rigging/animation tuts are for UT3 mods, and they use the default rig.

Deranged
11-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Have yet to see a decent guide on this but try studying the bone names of the ut3 skeletons, their IS info on this buried in these forums

genetransfer
11-23-2009, 10:13 PM
So far I've been able to get my animations and multi parts into the engine(though don't know how to assemble the parts together or control the animations,might have to make it a single mesh till that's resolved, yet though have been able to test them). so far what I've found is that naming conventions for bones can be non UT3 specific though it just means your rig won't be able to use ut3 animation content.

from what I've been able to dig up is that if your making a custom charactor, your bone names in your .psk's have to match the bones in the .psa. that way all actors can derive their animations from the .psa. so I gather that you just have to make a custom master rig that you use as a base for certain types of actors though with a different hierachy and bone names from UT3 but you just won't be able to use the ut3 anim content.

Denny
11-24-2009, 02:39 AM
I'm currently typing up a bunch of articles regarding the whole animation pipeline in Unreal. The first article is done. (http://dennylindberg.com/tutorials/animation-in-unreal-developer-kit/) I'm going to write about skeleton setup next. As been stated in the thread it doesn't matter what names you give your bones, but it's always good to have a naming convention as you usually need to call on things through code or define specific bones in the AnimTree. :)

genetransfer
11-24-2009, 04:48 AM
I'm useing max but will be able to follow your tutorial's, thanks, looking forward to them.

Denny
11-24-2009, 05:08 AM
I think the tutorials will work with Max as for example joint orientation is a general knowledge and is not exclusive to any app. :)

Onikudaki
11-24-2009, 09:23 AM
This might be useful.

http://jeremylanum.com/tutorials/

genetransfer
11-24-2009, 08:43 PM
well that helped me get my custom character in and getting the idle animation working though couldn't figure out the jumping. also had to fly blind during the scripting section(still studying the docs) as it references UT3 which I don't have but thanks as I'm one step closer to understanding this! at least I got my custom actor in and have idle running:)

edit: got the jump working, don't understand it yet but under UTAnimBlendByPhysics there is a physics map property. setting one of the slots to 1 allowed jumping to work in game. oh and thanks for the tutorial!