PDA

View Full Version : Project Management & Collaboration Tools

obsolete
11-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Hey everyone,

What do you use for project management, source control, bug tracking, and file sharing?

I'm most likely going to use Basecamp for project management and definitely SVN with Tortoise as my client. Anyone have a good SVN host they use? Can UDK projects use Google Code and/or SourceForge as long as the UnrealScript is shared openly?

I've used Bugzilla and FogBugz before for issue tracking, but my project is small enough that I may skip it for now. Also, I have unlimited space on my website and can share large files via FTP, but I was thinking I might use RapidShare instead. Any thoughts?

Just seeing what everyone else is using. Free is preferred, but I'm willing to pay a few bucks a month for something that saves time and headaches. Thanks!

elmuerte
11-15-2009, 02:40 PM
If you can use sf.net or google code depends on the license you are going to use. You can release your sources under any license you want, but you cannot release the final package under that license (needs to be udk license compliant). So stick to BSD or public domain, then it will be ok. Other licenses are an issue. Note that this only applies to the stuff you created from scratch, not a single bit from the UDK or other Epic content may be put on sourceforge or google code.

obsolete
11-15-2009, 02:47 PM
FYI, I found another project tool similar to Basecamp called ProjectPier...it might be a good solution if you already pay for web hosting since if you want to have a bunch of users or host files then Basecamp will cost you. I'll update later with my impressions of ProjectPier vs Basecamp.

neai
11-15-2009, 03:00 PM
BaseCamp is very nice but also very basic. The missing piece is issue management, so you need to buy extra service/s to fill that hole. For free solutions check out Trac or Redmine. If you want all in one solution, look into Assembla.

ambershee
11-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Personally, I use Subversion and Trac on a private server. Failing that, you could probably adopt ProjectLocker or something similar, but at the end of the day, you really get what you pay for.

obsolete
11-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Since my project is a small team, we are going ahead with the free version of Basecamp for messaging, to dos, and milestones. Integrated with it is the free version of Beanstalk, which is what I'm using to host the SVN repository. Dropbox will be used to share art files.

Since it's a one man programming show, bug tracking will just be another to do list. Fortunately, all this stuff is free for what I need. For a larger project, I might go with a different solution.

batmang
11-15-2009, 11:26 PM
I use Redmine. I do suggest you look into it. http://www.redmine.org/
It's licensed under the GPLv2
Overview of the features:
* Multiple projects support
* Flexible role based access control
* Flexible issue tracking system
* Gantt chart and calendar
* News, documents & files management
* Feeds & email notifications
* Per project wiki
* Per project forums
* Time tracking
* Custom fields for issues, time-entries, projects and users
* SCM integration (SVN, CVS, Git, Mercurial, Bazaar and Darcs)
* Issue creation via email
* Multiple LDAP authentication support
* User self-registration support
* Multilanguage support
* Multiple databases support

Also, here is a good list!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_project_management_software

Lunazure
11-16-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm going to recommend a great management tool called Pivotal Tracker. http://www.pivotaltracker.com/learnmore

It's fantastic if you're looking for a free solution to agile project management. It's a story-based tracking tool that is very fluid and easy to learn. If you want to learn more, there's a great video you can watch right from the page I linked you to.

Dn2
11-24-2009, 02:10 AM
I'm going to recommend a great management tool called Pivotal Tracker. http://www.pivotaltracker.com/learnmore

It's fantastic if you're looking for a free solution to agile project management. It's a story-based tracking tool that is very fluid and easy to learn. If you want to learn more, there's a great video you can watch right from the page I linked you to.

Using what you suggested. Its nice, clean and simple. I just wished it had a more "forum" or "wiki" type area but the comment systems seems ok for now.