PDA

View Full Version : Pretty nasty bug.

MulleDK13
11-05-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't know if it was just a one-shot bug, but, I was compiling, and cancelled mid-ways.

After that I had to reinstall the entire UDK, because I couldn't re-run UDK.exe, it popped up with the message:

---------------------------
Invalid install detected:
Missing script files
Please try re-installing.
OK

Doesn't seem good to have to reinstall everytime you cancel a build.

Edit: Also seem to happen sometimes when the build fails.

Daniel Vogel
11-05-2009, 01:57 PM
D'oh! This is caused by code that verifies a proper install by making sure Core.u, Engine.u, and GameFramework.u are present.

We'll fix that up, but in the mean time you can simply keep those files around and whenever you get a compile failure that deletes them copy them back in from your backup, fix the failure and recompile.

Out of curiosity, are you modifying GameFramework? We clearly didn't anticipate this :-)

MulleDK13
11-05-2009, 02:09 PM
D'oh! This is caused by code that verifies a proper install by making sure Core.u, Engine.u, and GameFramework.u are present.

We'll fix that up, but in the mean time you can simply keep those files around and whenever you get a compile failure that deletes them copy them back in from your backup, fix the failure and recompile.

Out of curiosity, are you modifying GameFramework? We clearly didn't anticipate this :-)

Haha, nope. I added a class in Engine to test if we are finally able to modify things like Actor, rather than putting reused variables in all extending classes, and we can. That's so great.

Edit:
I wrote a small batch file as a temporary fix.

Create a folder in your UDK directory called something like BUILDER. (eg. C:\UDK\UDK-2009-11\BUILDER

Copy Core.u, Engine.u and GameFramework.u from UTGame\Script to the BUILDER folder.

Create a new text file and call it BuildScripts.bat and copy/paste this code chunk:

@echo off
echo Building scripts, please wait...
copy Core.u ..\UTGame\Script\Core.u
copy Engine.u ..\UTGame\Script\Engine.u
copy GameFramework.u ..\UTGame\Script\GameFramework.u
cd ..\Binaries
udk.exe make

Just execute the BuildScripts.bat whenever you want to rebuild your scripts.

If you place it somewhere else, make sure to update the relative paths in the batch file!

Daniel Vogel
11-05-2009, 04:22 PM
I added a class in Engine to test if we are finally able to modify things like Actor, rather than putting reused variables in all extending classes, and we can. That's so great.
Please note that you can't add/ remove properties to a native class as that is going to change its memory layout and would require C++ changes. You might get subtle bugs and crashes if you do that.

MulleDK13
11-06-2009, 03:59 AM
Please note that you can't add/ remove properties to a native class as that is going to change its memory layout and would require C++ changes. You might get subtle bugs and crashes if you do that.

Okay, thanks for telling me. I'll probably notice if it happens.

NightRyder
11-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Yup, ran across this exact problem. Looks like I lost Engine.u, and GameFramework.u

I was not modifying any of the 3 listed files, but did somehow compile with UnrealFrontend.exe, and then running my modified superfungame, the game crashed. One of those window's "program is not responding" errors came up.

Edit: just had it again. Hit Cook - then canceled it after a few seconds, and then tried to make. After UnrealFrontend tells me I need to reinstall, it crashes. I guess I should have let it cook. It can't cook or make btw, but you probably knew that. Also for anyone else who wonders - yes copying the 3 files back into UTGame/Script fixes it. Have to make every thing over.

MidnightOne
11-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Hello, i'm having this message:

Invalid install detected:
Missing script files
Please try re-installing.
OK
every time i'm trying to launch UDK.exe (including first launch)

Multiple reinstalls didn't fix it.

PS: Actually i don't have "Script" folder.

Can you help me?

shedadamir
11-19-2009, 10:28 AM
I have same problem after I stopped compiling.
I resolved it by copy
C:\UDK\UDK-2009-11\UTGame\back\Script
to C:\UDK\UDK-2009-11\UTGame\Script.

McTavish
01-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Got this problem right now, any chance someone can post there default script folder for me so I dont have to reinstall ?

Regards McT

Nevermind, Im reinstalling

immortius
01-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Protip: You can just open the UDKInstall exe in 7zip or other decent compressed archive application, and extract the .u files out of it.