PDA

View Full Version : UT3 and GoW content

Piranhi
11-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Is there any way of importing content from UT3 or Gears of War into the UDK editor? I was really hoping to use a lot of the meshes from GoW but I can't find a way of opening them.

Many thanks
Chris

Cr4zy
11-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Load them into the browser as usual. However you can't save from UDK back for UT3, and possibly GOW. If there was a way i'd love it lightmass is sweet :p

Hourences
11-05-2009, 10:30 AM
I don't know about GOW, but porting UT3 content over to the UDK is very easy, provided the level or assets in question do not depend on actors (certain weapons for example), or assets not available in the UDK.

Just open the files in the UDK, and resave them.

Works with Cooked files too, although I am not sure on how wonderful it is to port over already cooked files really. I would personally avoid doing that.

There may be legal trouble porting GOW content to UDK too.

silentw
11-05-2009, 10:41 AM
So, I take this to mean that one can't design content for Gears or UT3 using this new editor? We're stuck using the old one if we want to... say... make a UT3 DM level?

Piranhi
11-05-2009, 10:43 AM
I posted this in excitement and hadn't had a proper look around, I was using the import button on the generic browser instead of the open button. But thanks for the quick replies!

NightClucker
11-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Silentw You are correct.

Piranhi
11-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Tried opening GoW content with it and no luck unfortunately :( It gives a error message saying GoW is an older version of the engine and it's not compatible with the current version.

Now I'm stumped. I have to decide whether to abandon the GoW meshes in favour for the new features in the UDK for my Final Major Project.

silentw
11-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Now I'm stumped. I have to decide whether to abandon the GoW meshes in favour for the new features in the UDK for my Final Major Project.

Same problem here. I'd LOVE to use the new editor... but it appears I'm stuck using the UT3 version, since I'm essentially making a UT3 mini-mod.

Demruth
11-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Aye, converting from UT3 to UDK was very easy for the most part... I'm now just fixing issues related to things that substantially changed and broke my game.

Much easier than I could have ever expected, given I pretty much have my game standalone after a couple of hours.

silentw
11-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Aye, converting from UT3 to UDK was very easy for the most part... I'm now just fixing issues related to things that substantially changed and broke my game.

Much easier than I could have ever expected, given I pretty much have my game standalone after a couple of hours.

So, Demruth, you're saying that a UT3 Mod can be easily made standalone using UDK? I'm just starting a mod... no combat or anything, story-intensive, but I was planning on using UT3 assets. Should I be using UDK?

Steve Polge
11-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Some UT3 assets are included with the UDK - you'll have to see if those are adequate. Note that if you ever plan on making your mod commercial, you cannot use Epic owned assets in the mod.

ambershee
11-05-2009, 12:14 PM
So, Demruth, you're saying that a UT3 Mod can be easily made standalone using UDK? I'm just starting a mod... no combat or anything, story-intensive, but I was planning on using UT3 assets. Should I be using UDK?

If you're planning on using UT3 assets that aren't provided by the UT3 demo in UDK, you should probably be using UT3. Otherwise, it should be fairly easy to port your mod across.

Cpt_SLOG
11-05-2009, 12:15 PM
So i use Epics content as proof of concept , then replace them with my own to make a few zillion bucks. mmmm ,sounds fair to me

Jetfire
11-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Some UT3 assets are included with the UDK - you'll have to see if those are adequate. Note that if you ever plan on making your mod commercial, you cannot use Epic owned assets in the mod.

Including extending UT3 demo classes? For example, AFFVehicle extends UTVehicle

Steve Polge
11-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Use of Epic's code in a commercial mod is not restricted.

Jetfire
11-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Oh hey, cool :D

R2D5
11-05-2009, 08:21 PM
How can i port assets from my ut3 mod to udk?

Demruth
11-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Silentw, sorry, when I said my conversion was mostly complete, I didn't mention that my game is a total conversion and hardly uses anything from UT3 (except the Link Gun model and some random textures which are easily replaceable and models in one specific section of the map which I knew I'd have to replace anyway). I'll be removing all UT3 content from the game soon.

There's still a big difference between wanting to create UT3 content and using UDK, yes.

Izzno
11-06-2009, 09:28 AM
I have a map file from the UnrealEd 3 but I can't load it into UDK. Is there anything to do before loading it into the new one?

stevenchau
12-08-2009, 11:23 AM
I think this is copyright problem

eAlex79
12-08-2009, 11:49 AM
So is Gears of War assets Epic owned? Are the rules slightly different with Gears assets to UDK then with UT3 assets to UDK. Of course if you use any assets from either you could not go commercial, that should be common sense and that isn't my interest.

I am a student, interested in the many features/additions to the udk (that mean I can do what I want, and my editor doesn't crash as much :D). As only a student in the interest of showing my design, Unreal and animation skills (not my modeling, boning, skinning and texturing skills). Why is it so difficult to use these assets?

So now do I also need to choose Gears or UDK? It isn't easy to convince your student team who is very excited about the UDK to go back to Gears... We didn't think this would be an issue. I don't want to be sneaky and do anything Epic doesn't want me to do.

I don't think I am alone on this either other students are feeling the same way.

I'll put logos, information, agreements and anything else Epic wants where ever Epic wants.

You Choose UDK and make the assets or get a team and do that with them.

The Art in neither UDK nor the Games is free for anything else then concrete, absolute, private use. I doubt anyone could use them legally even for proof-of-concepts or whatever, at school f.e. Even though I doubt that Epic or anyone else would ever come to the idea to sue in such cases (if they even would know).

nki
12-08-2009, 02:33 PM
The Art in neither UDK nor the Games is free for anything else then concrete, absolute, private use.
Not true. UDK assets are useable as long as it's an non-profit project.

neai
12-08-2009, 02:47 PM
You Choose UDK and make the assets or get a team and do that with them.

It's common these days to outsource or buy the art assets.

Piranhi
12-08-2009, 03:14 PM
You can get hold of the GoW assets and put them in your map, but I've posted it twice now though why it's not the best idea, you'll have to dig around this forum for what I said.

TheAgent
12-08-2009, 03:55 PM
What if you use UT3 assets and release the game for FREE with no prices or anything just for Free so people can have fun, will that cause problems?

nki
12-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Profit: UDK assets->NO, UT3 assets->NO
Non-profit: UDK assets->YES, UT3 assets->NO

MAdMaN
12-08-2009, 04:00 PM
What if you use UT3 assets and release the game for FREE with no prices or anything just for Free so people can have fun, will that cause problems?

Whether you release it free or for money, if you don't have permission of the creator(s) it's illegal.

TheAgent
12-08-2009, 04:03 PM
But UDK assets are ok, :] so im good, its better and more rewarding if your own assets are created anyway, just wanted some curiosity asnwered

eAlex79
12-08-2009, 04:08 PM
But UDK assets are ok, :] so im good, its better and more rewarding if your own assets are created anyway, just wanted some curiosity asnwered

Actually I was under the impression that it is not allowed to use anything else then the Engine herself and the with the UDK provided UScript's.

I read that multiple times, though I think the EULA isn't that clear on that topic.

I'm sorry if I'm wrong, and would be happy to know that I don't have to cleanup before I go to put something selfmade UDK public.

So if you find a valid answer from Epic that anyone can use that UDK assets et al freely in non-commercial projects, please point me to it, as I cannot find that.

LordNelson7
12-02-2010, 03:52 AM
Can I use the textures included with UDK?

Also I am extending my classes from UT script, such as MyPawn extends UTPawn.

Am I hearing you right when you say that we can extend UT classes, Steve?

I read in the terms of agreement that we can't use any character included with UDK. That's fine, but what about textures? There are some EXCELLENT textures bundled with UDK and it would be a heartbreak if I couldn't use them.

darthviper107
12-02-2010, 03:57 AM
You can use everything in UDK except for Skeletal Meshes--that means you can use static meshes and textures, and you can certainly modify things as much as you want