PDA

View Full Version : Welcome!

crowl
11-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Hi everyone, welcome to the Unreal Development Kit general discussion forum.

We encourage you to share your ideas about working with UDK, ask questions, compare notes with other users, and discuss any issues.

Note that Version 1.0 (released Nov. 5, 2009) is a beta version. We invite you to report issues in the support forum (http://forums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=372).

Stay tuned for more news, and please, say hello. :)

Crotale
11-05-2009, 08:04 AM
crowl, I just want to take this opportunity to thanks you folks at Epic for this most awesome gift. This is yet another reason Epic is number one.

ambershee
11-05-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm certainly going to enjoy abusing the UDK to the maximum :)

Cpt_SLOG
11-05-2009, 08:46 AM
cool, Thank you for this.
I'll move my mod over asap.:)

SamG
11-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Thank you Epic !

Drummer.unr
11-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Wewt! Thanks Epic, this is awesome!

matticus
11-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Woohoo Christmas has come early! :D Thanks so much Epic, great news!

Cr4zy
11-05-2009, 09:25 AM
It's like a birthday present considering today is my birthday.
You planned that all along right Epic?

Mark Rein
11-05-2009, 09:31 AM
You're welcome! I'm going to post some of my thoughts on UDK later today but suffice to say a lot of folks put a lot of effort into creating this over the last several months so we're anxious to hear from developers. We know there will be lots of questions and we're here to answer them. Enjoy!

KillerVirus
11-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Wow, thank you sooo much :)
It's as if Christmas really had come early :D :D

Polyphobia
11-05-2009, 09:45 AM
so does this have any influence on the msuc? can the competitors use udk for it?

SuperApe
11-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Wow! Thanks, Epic! :D

rek
11-05-2009, 10:08 AM
i would not in any way consider myself a developer, but alongside having ue3 from my game purchase, this gives me more incentive to actually try to noodle out some of the map ideas and game play concepts i'd thought of...

thanks, keep me surprised, and you'll keep me
:)

Jetfire
11-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Never has working on a TC mod suddenly turned more rewarding. Truely awesome stuff Epic, gg.

RU1NOUS
11-05-2009, 10:14 AM
AWESOME! better than anything my wife can get me for christmas!!!!!
thanks for the release!

Steve Polge
11-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Make Something Unreal Contest entries must still be based on UT3. However, we encourage you to move your mod over to UDK once you've submitted your final entry. Being able to release your mod as a standalone app will give you a much larger potential audience.

Piranhi
11-05-2009, 10:18 AM
DAMN YOU EPIC!!!!! I was just getting ready to create my Final major project for uni in the GoW editor, now you bring out this!!
Nah, love it really, it couldn't of come at a better time to be honest!
Excellent work and many thanks.

Regards
Chris

dasKaRmA
11-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Wow,
this came unexpected!
Cant wait to try out unreal lightmass and all the other great feartures.

weephun
11-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Wow,
this came unexpected!
Cant wait to try out unreal lightmass and all the other great feartures.

And we can't wait to see what everyone comes up with using all the new stuff! And there's definitely plenty of new things to try! http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitBuildUpgradeNotes.html

ambershee
11-05-2009, 11:11 AM
I couldn't help but notice a couple of the features listed as new in that overview, are actually present in retail UT3 ;)

Cr4zy
11-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Some of they may be, but im guessing they have been updated in the 2 years since UT3 came out.

2th
11-05-2009, 11:17 AM
I am very impressed that you guys have done this. This should make for some really interesting indie game development using an industry-standard engine.

This is just one more reason why i have been an Epic fanboy since the mid 90's lol

CaptainSnarf
11-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Oh jeezus just when I thought I'd burnt out on game development and that UE3 would never be profitable for me as a starting developer... then you guys release this thing with 0% upfront and 25% tax when the dough comes in?! Awesome :)

plugh
11-05-2009, 12:00 PM
This is absolutely fantastic, thanks Epic!

: )

Ninja1082
11-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Just sending a thank you out to epic games,it's nice to see such a nice gift being given out to us fans and those who want to get somewhere in game design.

I also appreciate the fact that machinima was acknowledged in the listing of users as well,I'm extremely happy that there's finally something I can use for my game design course that can let me bring everything together easily and present my work,I used to use the unreal 3 editor to make maps and stuff to show on my projects,but this makes it so much easier,and feels like a general engine package,instead of just a mod/map editor that came with UT3.

Thanks again guys,and hey to everyone,hope to work with you guys soon :)

Tuqui-tuqui
11-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Thank you so much EPIC!

*bow*

It is nice to see you release this and allow us to play/experiment with it. Expect to see me in this forums daily!

Repent_
11-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Thank you so much EPIC !!

I don't think I could love you anymore then I do now =) LOL

geodav
11-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Thank you Guys, this blows all TC modding wide open, may even be "The Way Games Are Ment to be Made" of the future

mikepurvis
11-05-2009, 02:09 PM
This is pretty awsome. I'm going to move the current project I am working on over.

Gammaray489
11-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Major <3 to Epic Games, I have been waiting for the Newer Unreal tech for a LONG time, love the new Engine improvements, made my day!

Simburgur
11-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Now this has me interested. Downloading now :)

KENKRANK
11-05-2009, 02:23 PM
^ Sim is Alive..... YAY...

and look at these crazy forums.... What do he have going on here???

EDIT:
Ahhhhh, Mark Rrrreeeeeeiiiiinnnnnn...

And a line of my sig is Invisible due to the crazy color... LOL

and this is way over my head.... So Good Luck people and have fun!!!

frvge
11-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks Epic. We're looking into the possibilities of porting Project Stealth over. UDK might need to mature a bit more, but we'll see about that after we get initial testing done. :)

Great job :) *cancels expensive game school registration that uses unity*

Nevellin
11-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Thats awesome. Thank you so much. No one could ever think about UDK being released free anytime soon. This is really a dream!

quadraxas
11-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Hello there. i am an ue3 noob, but i will try. and i will be frequenting on forums.

Thanks epic for such great opportunity.

R2D5
11-05-2009, 08:18 PM
its like christmas

Knox
11-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Totally sweet timing for me I have just added another 4gb of ram and im upgrading to windows 7 64bit tommorow, Hurrah epic!

SynaGl0w
11-05-2009, 10:47 PM
I must say this is amazing! Thanks Epic!:D

I don't think there has been anything to peak my interest in any aspect of game development more than Epic Games has. ;)

jeffro11
11-05-2009, 11:11 PM
This is really fantastic and such a great way for small Indie devs to get into the spotlight far easier. Thanks!!!

Bizkitdoh
11-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Oooh I wanna play.

and hello crowl :)

Angel38
11-06-2009, 12:48 AM
THANK YOU...

Guys, you are sooo Epics...

FragTastic
11-06-2009, 01:28 AM
This is so awesome Epic thanks so much, you've managed to make unreal engine even more unreal! :D

jaknine
11-06-2009, 01:38 AM
Awesome. Using a different engine for our latest game but I absolutely can't wait to play around with this and maybe use it for our next one. Thanks Epic!

Angel_Mapper
11-06-2009, 03:22 AM
This is a great thing for indies and for the Unreal engine in general, can't wait to get Prometheus released commercially with this. :)

Bobreg
11-06-2009, 02:04 PM
What can say? Thank you so much. I'm so happy... and to be able to say so along with Angel Mapper and more than a few others in here who also helped me to understand the editor. I love this sharing attitude. I hope to return the favor one day.

chrisrothcg
11-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Best day on earth to be a game designer, thank you!:D

SpitfireUA
11-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Thank you! I never thought that this day will come.

Crozz
11-07-2009, 10:32 AM
My university work will get a huge boost from these new tools and features. Thank you!

JJJ
11-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Ark, I forgot to say hello in this topic.

Hello~

AJ Anxiety
11-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Crowl I have one desperate question about an issue. What do you do when you have no weapon at spawn? Oh and Hello

Meathead
11-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Would like to say thank you to Epic for this awsum Program!

calee15
11-09-2009, 12:09 PM
hi everyone..
i am new here..im cale,,help0 me to familiarize this forum.. i want to explore my knowledge about the games...thanks..:))

disaac
11-09-2009, 02:56 PM
I would like to give a HUGE Thank You to Epic for this program. I am currently teaching my son how to code and design games with a much lesser engine that we purchased a year ago and I am not hesitant at all to switch gears.

Conjured
11-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Yes!
THANKS Epic!!!

I am brand new to this engine, and I want to make a racing game with the UDK.
(any advice or tutorials for that type of venture anyone?)

Thanks again Epic for this Unreal opportunity!

crowl
11-12-2009, 01:53 AM
Crowl I have one desperate question about an issue. What do you do when you have no weapon at spawn? Oh and Hello

Hey AJ, please post this question over in the support forums. Thank you.

Good to see everyone here! We can't wait to see what you do with UDK.

wuren
11-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks Epic!!Thanks everyone!

Vald
11-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Hallo everyone.

Happy to be here.

Many thanks to EPIC!

sea5ide
11-14-2009, 08:15 PM
First of all let me say Hello to everyone since I just registered in this forum!
:)

I'm really excited by the release of UDK, a wonderful engine now available to the Indie developers.
I realized a lot of Indie Freeware games so far, using mostly old directx7 based 3d engines, so my limit has always been the lack of a professional 3d engine... until now! ;)

Now let me play a bit with this interesting tool and let's see what I can create! :)

CyborgGuineaPig
11-15-2009, 08:05 PM
You're welcome! I'm going to post some of my thoughts on UDK later today but suffice to say a lot of folks put a lot of effort into creating this over the last several months so we're anxious to hear from developers. We know there will be lots of questions and we're here to answer them. Enjoy!

Thanks guys, this is truly epic of you!

ThePriest909
11-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Hello everyone!
Many thanks to Epic for this great release. Finally, a complete tool, able of turning our ideas into real living/breathing games.

kostaxtreme
11-18-2009, 07:15 AM
Hey guys,

Well done on releasing such a great piece of software, i'm yet to really nut it out although i have already seen some really cool stuff with it. Although I've got a few questions regarding UDK as well. Apologies if this ain't quite the section for it tho.

UDK - Game seems to be missing a 'settings' option to change resolution, quality settings etc. etc., any particular reason for it or will we be seeing in a future release?

Also if and/or when the above gets implemented is it possible to locate details on the [SystemSettings] in the BaseEngine? For example the meanings of some of the settings and the valid values one is able to input for them?

Those are just a couple of ideas to ponder, but nonetheless it's much appreciated that the UDK is released for free so that everyone has the opportunity to Make Something Un.... (not sure whether I want to finish the phase in fear of getting flamed for the pun. lol)

Cheers

EMPIRE
11-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks to Epic and all the crew for releasing the UDK. This is an answer to a solution that I've needed for a long time. Look forward to sharing ideas and techniques with all of you. Best of luck with all of your projects!

nikdevid
11-21-2009, 02:28 AM
Hi All.

My name is Nikdevid and I have just recently join this site.
I am here to interact with people and definitely get the information regarding Electronic-materials community.
Glad to join this site.

Promichael
11-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi fellow gamers and developers!

I have always wanted to learn how to make games but I never managed to convert those intentions into actions.

Thanks to the release of the UDK something in me has changed. After looking into it some more a few days ago, I decided it's time to get to work!

I looked around a bit in the UDK and ordered a copy of the book "Mastering Unreal Technology, Volume 1". I think this will provide me with a good starting point.

I can't wait to start with learning the ins and outs of modding(which is what I will be learning first, right?) and making the first step to fulfilling the dream of becoming a game developer.

Hope to see you around

Atu
11-26-2009, 05:04 AM
hello there.
i'm a student in SW Engineering.
i don't know really much about game making.
although i made a small arcanoid game like MagicBall (http://www.alawar.com/games/magicball2/) using GameStudio6 i remember. but mine was looking too poor compared to original MagicBall itself :P.
UDK looks real cool gonna work this out for a bit :D
thanks for awesome DevKit!!!!

dr.mj
12-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi everyone
it's like a dream
epic is number 1

TDTrigg
12-04-2009, 05:02 PM
just joined earlier today.. not a experienced 3d artist as of yet LOL.. i do have a Poser gallery

http://artzone.daz3d.com/index.php?/gallery/user/mygallery

expanded gallery in Renderosity
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/member.php

Henrik
12-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Uh you do know those links won't show people YOUR gallery if they're not logged in as you....

TDTrigg
12-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Uh you do know those links won't show people YOUR gallery if they're not logged in as you....

whoops :(

shortcut (hope this works)

http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=3&userid=53181

Benfica
12-08-2009, 03:02 PM
A clueless leecher says thank you all, Epic and devs. I'm looking forward to commercial games too :)

GRoss
12-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Thank you for such an amazing tool freely available for everyone to experiment with!! You guys are EPIC!!

nomadicus
12-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Been heads down for a month now developing on UDK. Can't say enough good things. Sweet!

Red Eye
12-11-2009, 03:45 AM
Hi everyone, welcome to the Unreal Development Kit general discussion forum.

We encourage you to share your ideas about working with UDK, ask questions, compare notes with other users, and discuss any issues.

Note that Version 1.0 (released Nov. 5, 2009) is a beta version. We invite you to report issues in the support forum (http://forums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=372).

Stay tuned for more news, and please, say hello. :)
Hey! I am enjoying my stay!

How do i insert a image in my sig, like a logo?

Thanks in forward,

Red Eye

UnspoiledWalnut
12-11-2009, 04:31 AM
So you pretty much blew all of the indie engines away with this.

HRuivo
12-11-2009, 08:45 AM
So you pretty much blew all of the indie engines away with this.

hehe, true.

Thank you very much EpicGames. I couldn't believe when I knew about UDK. :D

Red Eye
12-11-2009, 03:41 PM
OlŠ! Es portuges? Eu tambem! E Holandes! Quer dizer.... Agora vivo na holanda...

Benfica
12-21-2009, 04:30 PM
OlŠ! Es portuges? Eu tambem! E Holandes! Quer dizer.... Agora vivo na holanda...
There are a few around here, yes :)

Vilperi
01-08-2010, 11:02 AM
HI EVERYBODY!

A couple of years ago I was planing on making content with Unreal Editor but I eventually drifted to Cryengine camp because of all the cool features like SSAO and soft shadows. Now I came back to Epic forums to see what's going on. I was suprised to bump into this UDK that seems to have all the fun stuff Cryengine has and even more. And what's eaven better is that I always found UnrealEd more pleasing to use.

So can you guys please give me a little update on what's going on here?:) Do I need to install Unreal Tournament 3 again or does this kit work indepently?

Bobreg
01-08-2010, 11:17 AM
...Do I need to install Unreal Tournament 3 again or does this kit work indepently?
UDK is all you need. It contains just a few demo maps and all the tools needed import and manipulate game assets so you can create a game.

---
P.S. Why would you ever not have your UT3 installed? tsk, tsk... no excuse :)

klesk88
02-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Hi everyone!
I'm new here! Many thanks to Epic for this great release!!!

Warrior_For_God
02-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Wow, this is so awesomely cool. And the timing is impecable.
Time to design some levels! :D

Cadmium
02-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Huge thanks to Epic for making this available, Iíve been playing with UDK for a week or so now and am starting to find my feet.

Amazing the difference from the Indie engines, while some are excellent considering their budget, Iíve not seen anything that can touch UDK, the polish is astounding.

Devils
02-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Thank you very much Epic Games. This is a awesome gift and I hope I can learn to use it to my advantage.

mrjimmyos
03-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Hey, newcomer here. I use to mess around with the cryengine 2 sandbox editor a little but now I'm using the UDK as it's easier to import stuff in with it (I use blender 3d). And after watching a few of the tutorial videos (downloaded them all) and checking out the UDK I'm just so excited about it all, I had no idea just how powerful this tool is! All the features look so awesome :D And these video tutorials are friggin great! Right now I'm going through the videos for the material editor and it's very similar to blenders node editor so that's another plus

Warrior_For_God
03-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Hey bro,
I messed around with Sandbox 1+2 abit but theres something about Unreal that i've always loved altho i love designing outdoor environments. You know any good Blender 3D learning resources?

mrjimmyos
03-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Hey bro,
I messed around with Sandbox 1+2 abit but theres something about Unreal that i've always loved altho i love designing outdoor environments. You know any good Blender 3D learning resources?

I know of a load of them, what sort of thing are you looking for?

Warrior_For_God
03-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Ahh, just introductory stuff really, modeling etc. For some reason i can't find anything decent, not a big fan of following what they officially have available. I like tutorials that start from the top and work their way down like the 3DBuzz UDK video series, that stuff is spot on.

mrjimmyos
03-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Ahh, just introductory stuff really, modeling etc. For some reason i can't find anything decent, not a big fan of following what they officially have available. I like tutorials that start from the top and work their way down like the 3DBuzz UDK video series, that stuff is spot on.

Ah, well alot of blender video tutorials are like that, here's a link to 3 youtube pages for tutorials that are all good (especially super3boys for beginner stuff):
- Super3boy - nicely explained introductions to alot of things in blender (http://www.youtube.com/user/super3boy)
- Bits of Blender - little snippets (http://www.youtube.com/user/bitsofblender)
- cganim8or - general stuff (http://www.youtube.com/user/cganim8or)

And here's a link to blender cookie: http://www.blendercookie.com, a very awesome site for blender tutorials (and my personal favourite).

And as you progress into 3D alot you'll probably find yourself watching video tutorials for all sorts of packages, there's an awesome free one on the Gnomonworkshop that is for creating believable eyes that I watched and pretty much applied in blender (well I didn't spend as long on it as I should have but the general ideas worked).

Maybe I'm posting too much already but I also reccommend the blender open movie workshop DVDs ;D

Warrior_For_God
03-18-2010, 09:32 AM
Wow, thanks alot for the links man!
Yeah i just wanna get a firm foundation first before i start picking around at different things, i find i get nowhere if i dont...sorta how i work with anything really.
Not sure if i'm a big fan of the interface, i look at it and wanna vomit lol Maya or 3DS has a much leaner look to it, unfortunatly i can't afford those packages at the moment, so i gonna stick to blender til then.
Thanks alot again :)
BTW, how you finding UDK?

mrjimmyos
03-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Ah no problem :D And as for the interface have you tried blender 2.5 (http://www.blender.org/download/get-25-alpha/)? It's made to be more user friendly. Also the community at blender artists is great and thriving.

I got into blender as a hobby and I ended up doing stuff in it for a while and I realised at one point that I wasn't learning about blender, but I was learning 3D, and I never really thought about it like that.

I'm very much liking the UDK, it has everything! I haven't made anything in it yet but I did a test and imported a model and it was surprisingly easy

Warrior_For_God
03-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Yeah i've read 2.5 UI is set to be easier so i'm downloading it now. And that blender artists site looks good too, thanks for that.
Whats your main focus in 3D? level design, modeling or animation etc?
I've realised with UDK that there isn't all that much in the way of static meshs available to use so i gotta brush up on my modeling skills hehe

Azazeo
03-19-2010, 05:52 AM
Hi everyone!
I'm from Minsk, Belarus, and I'm going to create a short CG video (STALKER-style, lost factories, anomalies, mysterious landscapes). I use Blender 2.49/2.5 - for modelling and texturing objects, and choose UDK for final render (I have no powerfull PC to render, but don't want to use Blender Game Engine - I'm not clear with using shaders e.t.c in it).
Now I'm collecting photos for textures and trying to get used to UDK. I'll hope get some help here...
sorry for my terrible English))

mrjimmyos
03-19-2010, 06:15 AM
^ Your english seems good to me ;D Also that idea sounds awesome (I've played all the STALKER games too). If you want some reference images then 3Dtotals reference image database (http://freetextures.3dtotal.com/index.php?s=c:Forest&cid=17&sc=Nature/Mountain) is pretty good, and so is searching around on Flickr (www.flickr.com)

Yeah i've read 2.5 UI is set to be easier so i'm downloading it now. And that blender artists site looks good too, thanks for that.
Whats your main focus in 3D? level design, modeling or animation etc?
I've realised with UDK that there isn't all that much in the way of static meshs available to use so i gotta brush up on my modeling skills hehe

No problamo ;) Well my main focus to be honest is still something I'm exploring, I try to do allsorts, haven't done any animation though (but I am reading a book on it). I did do a fair bit of object creation recently (link (http://www.fallingpixel.com/city-street-objects-pack-3d-model/22235)) but that stuff wasn't the best stuff I can do. I do like the idea of modeling buildings and people.

Also yeah if you don't want all your levels to look like Unreal Tournament 3 I guess creating your own objects is a pretty awesome prospect :D

Azazeo
03-19-2010, 06:43 AM
mrjimmyos thanx!
I do not need search ref.images becouse here in Minsk lot of places with ehmm... correct atmosphere, also I do photohunting (and interesting in shooting photos at all) - so soon (as snow will dissappear) I'll go outside and shoot a lot of photos for modelling and texturing.
PS OMG!!! Three (3!!!) years ago i have started thi topic - http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=589654
Well, I'll go there with next questions...

mrjimmyos
03-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Hey cool, and looking at thread if you do need a few props modeled I can do that sorta thing ;D (can't do characters yet though)

crannog_dolmen
03-20-2010, 11:01 PM
This is unreal... a game engine of epic proportions...a while back I was viewing Cry-engine videos on U-Tube and a responder said it wasn't bad but Unreal was better...since then I periodically searched for Unreal Engine and finally found the UDK free one...I have determined (if you haven't heard it anywhere else before) that...
Unreal Engine is the one...
Unreal Engine is the one...
CD

Psilocybe
05-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Hey, thanks everyone for being so helpful! This is truly an epic community.

Sleepygamer
06-13-2010, 03:50 PM
I've been using this site for awhile now, looking at other people's tutorials and advice, and thought it was about time I actually registered. To be honest I've been putting off using an engine, instead I've been developing my coding skills to make my own engine (C++/DirectX & openGL)... or heavily mod another one, but it's time I get a break from it all because it can be one big headache. :)

Anyway, I'm using UDK to develop 3rd person games (fps games to me have no substance), and I want to go ahead and thank everyone who has posted advice and tutorials, they help(ed) me out a lot.

yaragad
06-22-2010, 05:22 AM
Hello everyone!! :)