PDA

View Full Version : Using GoW assets in UnrealEd

burlydan
09-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey guys I am curious if its possible to use the packages from Gears of War with the Unreal Editor? I tried opening some GoW packages and it gives me an error that says the package was saved with a previous version that is not backwards compatible with the one I am currently using.

The reason I'm trying to use GoW assets is I have a skills test I'm trying to complete and the guidelines for the test state I must use UnrealEd, but use assets from GoW.

Do I have to use the log and copy the content from Gears packages into a new one? Or will that even work? Is it because I have the Titan patch? Seriously stumped here.

WOBBLER
09-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Gildors Umodel can extract character, vehicle and weapons as well as the textures and animations from most games made with the unreal engine (UT3, Gears of war 1 and 2, Batman : Arkham Asylum, Mass effect) Gildor has also made a psk/psa 3ds max importer ,and for static mesh you can use 3d ripper.

TimesNewRoman17
09-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Burly, unless I'm mistaken and there's something else specified in the skills test, the GoW editor IS UnrealEd. They all use Unreal Engine 3 (in the games mentioned by Wobbler). It also doesn't make sense for me to think that you'd need to export the models and assets to Unreal Editor when you're in a sense using the same editor.

Serenius
09-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Unless you specifically have to make an Unreal 3 level using Gears of War, this isn't necessary. Gears of War uses the Unreal 3 engine, and it's editor is (mostly) identical to the UT3 editor. Just do your project using the GoW editor.