PDA

View Full Version : Maps keep having to be downloaded - why?

bambislayer99
09-03-2009, 07:38 AM
This is crazy! and dam annoying and...:mad:

Why is it when I've already downloaded a map, that later on, if I've downloaded other maps, when I come to play on a server with a map from a long time back (that I've already downloaded) I often have to download it yet again! wtf $^#%#%?

I don't ever remember any of the other unreal series doing this.

Is there a setting where I can direct UT3 NOT to trash maps that have already been downloaded before?

Is this yet another shortcoming introduced in UT3?

Wormbo
09-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Check your cache settings, there's probably a size and age limit for cached packages.

UnrealGrrl
09-03-2009, 09:42 AM
set you map cache settings to 9999 and you should be good to go, and if there are certain maps (or alot of maps you like, its not a bad idea to grab a ut cache converter and add them to your game from the cache (check the Mods release forum for the program) that way you will have them on and offline.

Pop!
09-03-2009, 10:06 AM
If you had only looked a little further down the forum, you'd have seen your answer!

Pop™

[MSF]Heggi
09-03-2009, 10:11 AM
expand ur cache size and install some software that install cached maps

The Demon Slick
09-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Google cache converter by BradG, the link at Epic forums is dead but there's a good dl at fileplanet. Run it every so often, problem solved!

jiiihaad
09-03-2009, 10:24 AM
UT3 downloads custom maps in cache and when its full old downloaded maps get automatically overwrited. For that use cache convertor or increase cache size(sorry dont have time to tell more specific).

BUT! I use cache convertor, ini tweaks for cache and download custom maps manually, still sometimes UT3 starts to download map what I already have. One time when download started and I already had the map, I writed chat about it and few guys answered that they had it too but still it started to dl.
Dunno was it different version of that map or was there a bug in that server?
Does UT3 recognise maps on file name or somekind of checksum?

coolcat22
09-03-2009, 10:27 AM
http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=699141read this maybe it helps

The Demon Slick
09-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Maps with multiple node setups will dl even if you've done it before. There is a seperate script file that doesn't get placed by cache converter, you can avoid this by taking note of what map it is, and manually installing that small script file. 99% of maps, you will not have this problem. Warfare players get this more often, because of multiple node settings, and maps with/without orb. Also, if you have the new version of a map, and the server has an older version, you will dl the old version. If you then select it in cache converter, and run it, you will often overwrite the newer version. Sure, it ain't perfect, but it will work almost all of the time. Cheers!

Brad.G
09-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Google cache converter by BradG, the link at Epic forums is dead but there's a good dl at fileplanet. Run it every so often, problem solved!

just updated the download link in the release section of the forums :cool:

_idk_
09-11-2009, 04:52 AM
nice to hear that Cacheconverter is up again :)

My workaround for the problem was to write-protect the files in the cache folder, so UT can't replace them.

bambislayer99
09-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks all - advice much appreciated

Thanks Coolcat22 - that link did the trick...

oldkawman1
09-27-2009, 10:47 AM
nice to hear that Cacheconverter is up again :)

My workaround for the problem was to write-protect the files in the cache folder, so UT can't replace them.

This is not fool proof. If your ini files get replaced, it is possible for you to lose everything in the cache folder. Make sure you use a cache converter also, I found this out the hard way..

coolcat22
09-27-2009, 02:25 PM
np
StaleCacheDays=30
MaxStaleCacheSize=100
MaxOverallCacheSize=300

chang it too thise
StaleCacheDays=9999
MaxStaleCacheSize=9999
MaxOverallCacheSize=9999

NovaZzZ
09-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Download the actual maps, saves hours of time.