PDA

View Full Version : Instead of pressing B the fastest...

host
06-19-2009, 11:54 AM
You know those kid games where its says on the screen:

X Y B X A X A

and whoever presses those botton the fastest wins? What if chainsaw duels where like that? Like when you engage in a duel 6 to 3 letters pop on the screen and who ever presses them faster wins the duel?

This way chainsaw duels will become much more interesting, people who press buttons slow don't have to complain anymore, and modded controllers won't win.

If you screw up a letter you would either get a .5 secound penatly, no penatly, or lose the duel, up to you guys.

Chiefgear
06-19-2009, 11:57 AM
i like it
(10 elephant ears)

Sulfuric
06-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Before release, Cliff talked about this. He said he didn't want Gears to turn into that type of game, and he thought that a simply b button mash would be best.

I disagree on him on many gameplay opinions but this is not one of them.

Miss Shotti
06-19-2009, 12:01 PM
That would take too much time, and for me effort. I hate the chainsaw regardless, but it doesn't matter just another opinion.

Your Devastator
06-19-2009, 12:11 PM
great idea. would destroy those turbo controllers too.

mwoelfel13
06-19-2009, 12:15 PM
yaa i like the idea cuz csaw battles are pretty hard to win against mods and turbo controllers

host
06-19-2009, 12:17 PM
That would take too much time, and for me effort. I hate the chainsaw regardless, but it doesn't matter just another opinion.

If it takes two long we could make it 3 letters, I don't care ;)
Have you ever played one of these kid games? Its actually really challengeing and more fun than pressing a botton the fastest, because then the same person doesn't wins everytime, and... its... just... fun :). (I still enjoy some children games lol)

JUGGERNUT
06-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Great idea, but whoever finishes first, most likely the guy with the better connection...I say it should go back and forth, information from either you or the other guy goes to you telling you what button to push, then the information goes back. Maximum of four goings back and forth, a fifteen minute duel, as Epic as that would be, would become boring after the fifth time.

l Vulgar l
06-19-2009, 12:19 PM
I think the system of mashing B is flawed because on one screen the duel already started but on the other it might start a second later. I find it really odd that offline I completely rape all of my friends in chainsaw duels but online I hardly ever win against the same people.

Spazzumes
06-19-2009, 01:40 PM
I dont chainsaw but I think this would be better than the B button mashing it is now.

Dakota 21 47
06-19-2009, 01:41 PM
marvel ultimate alliance for the win

Blackop Elite
06-19-2009, 01:59 PM
great idea. would destroy those turbo controllers too.

Exactly, I don't know why he thought it would be a bad idea. I think it would have been awesome.

TRELON
06-19-2009, 02:01 PM
I don't use the lancer anymore, but when I did use it I hated chainsaw duels. But not because of mashing the B button. It was the LAG. That is what determines who wins chainsaw duels. Your idea would be great, but I can't help but feel that LAG will still determine the outcome.

annoying
06-19-2009, 02:07 PM
I agree with this, sometimes I think chainsaw duels are impossible to win, often I see myself hammering the button and still lose, plus against the host it's impossible to win, this would counter those problems I think.

Also people can use modded pads for button mashing, they can't for this, superb idea imo.

Turbo Drift
06-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Pressing the button in gears of war 2 doesn't even matter. Two kids I know were in a chainsaw battle, one didn't press b once and the other was tapping it hard, the guy who never pressed b once won. Thats pretty messed up

RotorBalls
06-19-2009, 02:10 PM

I played that game for all of 5 minutes before taking it out and never playing again

Mr PresidentX
06-19-2009, 02:15 PM
I played that game for all of 5 minutes before taking it out and never playing again

thats too bad you missed out on one of the best games for XBOX 360

Chewbacca1978
06-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Chain saw duels are still random, I've won one (when I first started playing GoW2) while still at spawn and not playing, i didn't once press my B button!!

RotorBalls
06-19-2009, 02:26 PM
thats too bad you missed out on one of the best games for XBOX 360

You gotta be kidding me...sarcasm right? :D

Silenoz666
06-19-2009, 02:29 PM
When they first announced chainsaw duels, this is how I'd hope it would be. Sure, it'd seem kinda silly, but it would take more skill and eliminate turbo-controller cheaters.

komradkyle
06-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Too much time for a quick kill but quicktime events aren't anything new either

< Profess >
06-19-2009, 03:14 PM
I've never lost an on-host duel. Current system needs to change, it's too connection dependant.

Completing a sequence in a period of time (like the UC coup de grace) and comparing their speeds within that (like fasted finger first) should be it IMO.

RIP67VDub
06-19-2009, 03:30 PM

My thoughts exactly.

oOausarOo
06-19-2009, 04:07 PM
horrible idea

Miss Shotti
06-20-2009, 02:59 AM
If it takes two long we could make it 3 letters, I don't care ;)
Have you ever played one of these kid games? Its actually really challengeing and more fun than pressing a botton the fastest, because then the same person doesn't wins everytime, and... its... just... fun :). (I still enjoy some children games lol)
No I have never played one of those..so I wouldnt really understand. I have played that Mortal Kombat where you have to do those combos super fast to unlock new characters and such. I dont know if thats the same..probably not. lol

Authorizedkilla
06-20-2009, 03:02 AM
yea that would be fun but if it has no penalty then they can just press buttons so yeah i think we should rule that "penalty" out

Anne IFrank
06-20-2009, 03:09 AM
what if instead you had to buy a ddr mat and breakdance?lol
nah chainsaw duels would be fun that way, but it doesnt bother me right now

AgentCamper
06-20-2009, 03:17 AM
You would be a noob for getting in a chainsaw duel in the first place.

Anne IFrank
06-20-2009, 03:18 AM

ah do we gotta call noob?come on, be fair

AgentCamper
06-20-2009, 03:26 AM
ah do we gotta call noob?come on, be fair

Alright, a lesser skilled player in some aspects of the game? :p

Anne IFrank
06-20-2009, 03:28 AM
Alright, a lesser skilled player in some aspects of the game? :p

ah thats your opinion, but it's much more well put
Touche, man.

Brendy Boy
06-20-2009, 04:38 AM
This is a much better idea. Or maybe B button when the screen flashes it, so turbo controllers wont win.

Taffer
06-20-2009, 05:11 AM
**** QUICKTIME EVENTS.

This is the last thing this game needs, and this thing needs to actually be abolished from ALL games, everywhere.

Anne IFrank
06-20-2009, 05:14 AM
**** QUICKTIME EVENTS.

This is the last thing this game needs, and this thing needs to actually be abolished from ALL games, everywhere.

QTE is a practical solution man...BTW the current animation is technically a QTE :P
so don't be so harsh, we're here to share ideas

Maarten833
08-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Great idea man!!!

OZombiePenguinO
08-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Good idea, it would stop people from thinking I have a turbo controller =D

llMurall
08-12-2010, 06:30 PM
From the moment the game came out I've always supported some kind of button combination instead of b-mashing

_sticks_
08-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Can't remember ever seeing a chainsaw duel online :s

With chainsawing in general though, it doesn't seem to matter who wins because they invariably get gibbed anyway :(

Call.Me.PRIEST
08-12-2010, 07:02 PM
i dont chainsaw duel

EpicGames4Life
08-12-2010, 07:12 PM
No. I don't like it.

ES Hands McGee
08-12-2010, 07:12 PM
It couldnt hurt... Just a bit more complex, but not enough to ruin the experience, at least your finger wont be sore afterwards

parker92
08-12-2010, 10:45 PM
yes i think this is a great idea. tapping b gets annoying.

aHughez
08-12-2010, 10:47 PM
This is like Captcha for Gears, no thanks. I play Gears for fun ;)

llMurall
08-12-2010, 10:55 PM
This is like Captcha for Gears, no thanks. I play Gears for fun ;)

wut ?

-Raven-
08-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Thats how I originally envisioned chainsaw duelin and I liked it then so I like it now. Probably wont happen though.

aidy1972
08-13-2010, 02:00 AM

Fair comment... Except when SOMEHOW, in some magical sort of way you move up behind someone who is laying down lancer fire, and I can't emphasize the behind bit enough... All of a sudden he's done a 180 and you've both locked chainsaws?!

Chainsaw duels should happen in one situation and one only:

When both players are facing each other and they both have chainsaw revving. Anything else should be a kill.

Don't get me wrong, I don't use it that often but far too many times I have been in a similar situation and have been BS'd because I was by no way expecting to get locked into a duel.

Brandon Dazo
08-13-2010, 02:01 AM
Great idea, but whoever finishes first, most likely the guy with the better connection...I say it should go back and forth, information from either you or the other guy goes to you telling you what button to push, then the information goes back. Maximum of four goings back and forth, a fifteen minute duel, as Epic as that would be, would become boring after the fifth time.

or it can keep on going back and forth, and every time it goes by, make it faster, and if you got some really good and fast people, then yeah, it will be 15 minutes. but thats onlu if you can push the button in like .000000000000000000000000000001 seconds

AgentCamper
08-13-2010, 02:11 AM

lol I was such a dick. Btw, nice bump on a year old thread ;)

julianwelton
08-13-2010, 03:36 AM
Honestly the duel was a cool idea, but its just a cool idea. In practice it isn't very fun and takes up too much time and effort. But if it has to stay I guess I would prefer to press 3 buttons as fast as I can rather than tap B forever.

PSYCHOTIX
08-13-2010, 03:47 AM
Depends too much on lag, more so than the current duel.

OverKill
08-13-2010, 04:38 AM
i hate QTEs so this idea gets resounding no from me

i also hate chainsaw duels...i can't win them for crap

CCx Batman
08-13-2010, 04:57 AM
so i can get blown away while trying to fumble with buttons? no thanks lol. but i use hammerburst anyways so this doesnt apply to me lol

Moo
08-13-2010, 11:06 AM
theres really not much point in changing it, i mean theres hardly any chainsaw duels as it is anymore and there will be even less in gears 3 with people using the new pendulum lancer

bws_jax7
08-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Disregarding all other posts, button mashing B does not prove anything. The way gears is, in combination with the controller, there is a limit to how fast you can press B. If you want to test this, whip out a pistol and just start mashing B as fast as you can, you'll notice they won't come out as fast as you're pressing it. Trust me, I go ape**** when it comes to button mashing, and it just doesn't work. They might have done some tweaking because of the "rapid-fire" controller users, but idk. To add some credibility to myself, I was a pro at Test of Might in Mortal Kombat (1, Deadly Alliance, etc.). I've also button mashed against my cousin in a chainsaw duel (who is not extremely fast compared to me) and he still won. Please don't say "well you just suck" or some BS like that. I would like to suggest rotating the joystick. Either that, or remove the button mashing limit.

Peterp205
08-13-2010, 12:43 PM
errr i kinda had to go with yea would make it more intresting only worries have been said but time that it would leave you in the open and also chainsaw id for "nubs"

bobsy852
08-13-2010, 02:16 PM
nah! idea sucks! as soon as u get into a chainsaw duel, drop ur controller on the desk infornt of u and tap away! :D u'll soon be winning them all! :D

I can sort of see the idea, but it takes a while on other games like WWE! So i think it's ruin the pace of GoW! I vote no! :(

GcRayden
08-13-2010, 02:32 PM
The system should go like this:

Each player bashes the B button on their controller. The game counts the button presses on client side only for both players, then sends the information and compares both variables to determine who wins.

This way, the counting for both players have been done on client side, making lag not an issue since the counting wouldn't be effected through networking. That way, all the game would have to do network wise is compare the variables to one another.

I believe this would be the best way to handle a button mash to the death.