PDA

View Full Version : Ping limits

Gubna
06-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Two quotes from Joe that caught my attention today

We were planning to add it today but then the servers went down. We added it once the servers were back up. I also changed the max ping from 200 to 175

The code will not connect to any server with 600ms ping. It has to be < 200.

I'm located in Australia and no matter what game I play online on the pc, I have never seen an American server under 200ms ping. So why is it then, that almost every game that my team is not host we end up in an American game. Joe's statement translates directly into "Australians will not connect to an American host", and yet they do. WHY?

Also, in every game I have ever played where ping is displayed, if the ping is below 200, it is generally playable. Why is it then that these magical <200ms games play like the ping is well over 1000ms. That's right 1000ms. Ive frequently been forced to play games where my shotgun shot takes over 2 seconds to come out of the barrel. I know the game doubles its lag by having host hit detection and I'm not going to go into why that is stupid (that's a whole other thread), but how could a game that is supposed to be under 200ms have 10 times as much lag on the shotgun.

Is it because the game adds the lag when the ping is fine?

Is it because the Ping limit is false?

WHY?????

I'm seeking feedback mainly from Joe, since he wrote the code, but any explanation from anybody would be good.

NOTE:
Even if the game only tests the ping between the two party leaders, since I only play with a full party, that would not cause me to be connected to >200 ms games.

Dan2102
06-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Do you think people from other countries are happy when they have to play on your host? I spent 1 minute in a game earlier with an Australian host and it was awful.

It works both ways.

Gubna
06-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Do you think people from other countries are happy when they have to play on your host? I spent 1 minute in a game earlier with an Australian host and it was awful.

It works both ways.

No, obviously. I'm not qualifying this question for a particular country, just using my own experience as an example. I would rather play against competitive opponents with low ping on host too. the point is that nobody, anywhere in the world needs to look more than 200ms away to find a match. even south Africa could get a decent connection to Australia, and I'm more than happy to play against other people from Hong Kong or anywhere else in south-east Asia if it means a better connection.

SupernaturalOne
06-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Imo it's flawed because there is now way I should connect to you and vice versa, Your too far away from me to even get an enjoyable game, Same goes for when people from Japan are in my game how are you supposed to have fun in games like that?

It needs fixing and it needs it quickly before all the new games come out.

SkyFire
06-07-2009, 10:04 AM
It is bad but two seconds lag isn't too bad as far as it goes. Try 5 second lag, then it gets fun :rolleyes:

Epic are aware that it is host selection that causes lag and are looking for solutions so it''ll hopefully get fixed some time

Chappe11e
06-07-2009, 10:05 AM
host selection is obviously broken.