PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Offline Bots in Horde Mode

Ascendant Justice
04-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Ok most people know that it can be a huge pain when it comes to doing horde alone and have been wanting teammate bots to help them out if they dont have the luxury of XBL so I've come up with a little....thing for them to be implemented.

Ok first you have the option for the bots to be included or not, and you can decide the number of bots you want with you as well as their skill level.

Now their behavior would be a "regroup" function where they will always try to stay close to the player. But on top of that you could have a squad command system like in Gears 1.

LB+Y - Seek Weapon. Your bots will run off to find a different gun and immediately run back to your location. Useful between waves.

LB+B - Defense. They will enter and fire out from cover near your position and generally stay stationary even if you move away.

LB+A - Attack. If there are five or less enemies you can use this to order the bots to run out, locate, and kill enemies quickly. Could also be used in earlier waves to speed things up.

LB+X - Disperse. Bots will go and do their own thing.

Now when a command is in action, a little "gears" icon will be next to the name and to end the function, you simply would just hit "LB+X" a second time to stop the command.

The bots could also be designed to stay away from locust spawn points but the "stay close the the player" mentality would override this behavior if they player happens to be near a locust spawn point.

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I just thought this would be a nice way for the people who dont have XBL to be able to enjoy the good ol' "Five vs THE HORDE!!"

Comments, suggestion, new names for bot functions, etc. are welcome. If you support this idea you could put a link to it in your signature if you want.

EXTREME NOOBHUNTER
04-13-2009, 05:51 PM
I always wondered why EPIC got rid of the squad commands. Good idea!

Mclov7N
04-13-2009, 05:52 PM

Personally i just didn't think it worked well, the AI in GOW2 is decent anyways.

DaGirlzGoCrazy
04-13-2009, 05:53 PM
This sounds like a good idea, but kinda complicated just for bots.

Gears Ninjah
04-13-2009, 05:53 PM

They did?

I thought you could do it in campaign mode... Maybe I'm wrong though.

EXTREME NOOBHUNTER
04-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Personally i just didn't think it worked well, the AI in GOW2 is decent anyways.

I like being bossy. :p

Ascendant Justice
04-13-2009, 05:54 PM

Yeah in Gears 1 the squad commands really didnt help but in Gears 2 the AI is a lot better (in some cases) so maybe it could be worked in again.

SKORGE
04-13-2009, 05:55 PM
I like the idea, but while your at it? Why not just make all those commands manditory? Instead of making commands.

Ascendant Justice
04-13-2009, 05:56 PM
This sounds like a good idea, but kinda complicated just for bots.

People need complicated teams for horde :P And having 4 bots at several different locations on a map only means that they'll get picked off or mobbed in later waves.

Thanks for the comments people!

ThisActOfGod
04-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Wow, I can honestly say that this is one of the smartest ideas I've seen on these forums.

It would be really great to play Horde and command bots at the same time.

Definitely make it more tactical as well.

Ascendant Justice
04-13-2009, 06:26 PM
I like the idea, but while your at it? Why not just make all those commands manditory? Instead of making commands.

Having "Seek Weapon" and "Attack" both on at the same time for example would override the "stick close to the player" function and you would basically have regular old warzone bots running for power weapons while attempting to take on 15+ locusts at the same time.

And using a command like "Defense" could have your bots take cover at...say...the grenade spawn at Jacinto. They would lay down suppressing fire at enemies, they wouldn't move, and therefore wouldnt risk getting killed by following you around trying to get ammo. If you see them begin to get overrun, stop the command and they will make a run for your position.

Being able to change the commands allows for you to change tactics depending on the situation without "hoping" that your bots decide to do the right thing on their own.

Ascendant Justice
04-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Sorry for the double post but, I wonder if it would work out to be able to revive yourself in horde mode instead of just bleeding out.

Could maybe be a separate option, except being able to revive yourself would reduce your overall score where as leaving it the way it is would leave the score the way it is.

Ascendant Justice
08-14-2009, 11:36 PM
I still think this could work...I just wonder how long it would take to add something like this.

inb4Gears3

Riverback
08-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Imo, I would like something similar to Kantham's Lance Gold AI for Gears PC.

It would be fun to have bots around in horde, it would mean not being ammo constricted most of the time. Just hope they don't kick down those shields

D-Train
08-15-2009, 12:09 AM
I love it. Horde is my favorite mode and I often play solo, so that would be really fun. It could aslo help round out a small team so you could play at harder levels. I probably would not allow the player to choose the skill level of the bot. I would have the skill fixed at a certain level (perhaps in accordance with the chosen difficulty of the game). Excellent idea. Perhaps we'll see this in GOW3.

Comrade John
08-15-2009, 12:22 AM
maybe keep it to horde that is offline, so that you can't get tons of points (you get the original XP from playing it offline, which is 50 points per casual wave, 75 per normal wave (the only difficulties that bots could possibly beat by themselves)

Ascendant Justice
08-15-2009, 10:29 AM
maybe keep it to horde that is offline, so that you can't get tons of points (you get the original XP from playing it offline, which is 50 points per casual wave, 75 per normal wave (the only difficulties that bots could possibly beat by themselves)

Keeping it offline was pretty much the whole point. If you can round up four other guys on XBL then go for it. This would mainly be for the people who don't have XBL or whos connections cant support the juggernaut that is Gears 2 multiplayer.

And I doubt that the bots could do the ENTIRE thing themselves. Stuff like Maulers and Bloodmounts would destroy them unless you were there to keep them in line and alive.