PDA

View Full Version : Is lagswitch/standby banning going to be fixed?

Mrwubbles
04-01-2009, 06:35 PM
I just realized today that the host selection and banning thing (i dont know the name of it) is really bad. 7 of my friends were banned today for a laggy connection. Not one owns a lag switch or a standby button. Will this ever be fixed to actually tell when somebody is lagswitching instead of just bad connection? Also will host selection ever be fixed?

spunky onion
04-01-2009, 06:45 PM
I just realized today that the host selection and banning thing (i dont know the name of it) is really bad. 7 of my friends were banned today for a laggy connection. Not one owns a lag switch or a standby button. Will this ever be fixed to actually tell when somebody is lagswitching instead of just bad connection? Also will host selection ever be fixed?

if they have crap connections then it doesn't really matter if they never get host does it? everyone would suffer then

aj adam
04-01-2009, 06:50 PM

why do people insist on complaining about not being host,being host gives you no advantage,like joe said the host wins 48% of the time,not a percentage worth complaining about.

OrtanaIV
04-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Well if your friends have crappy connections in the first place, they shouldn't be hosting period. Think of it as process of elimination. They're slowly getting rid of all the bad connections.

Although it would just be easier to select the guy with the most suitable connection to host.

aj adam
04-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Well if your friends have crappy connections in the first place, they shouldn't be hosting period. Think of it as process of elimination. They're slowly getting rid of all the bad connections.

Although it would just be easier to select the guy with the most suitable connection to host.

preach it brother!!!!seriously...preach it!

indecent
04-01-2009, 06:54 PM

That's more of a side-effect then anything. This needs to be fixed pronto, because as it is right now people with bad connections are lumped together with standbyers. This means that either:
-They ban many innocent people, or
-They don't ban anybody, letting standbyers go

Unrated 7331
04-01-2009, 06:55 PM

The system is perfect. If your friends have a bad enough connection to get banned, that is good news. We don't want people who don't have a sufficient connection to host games.

OrtanaIV
04-01-2009, 06:57 PM
That's more of a side-effect then anything. This needs to be fixed pronto, because as it is right now people with bad connections are lumped together with standbyers. This means that either:

They don't get banned from the game. I believe they lose the privilege of hosting. Epic has this system where if a player continuously manages to cheat, then only then do they get permanently banned. Sure players with crappy connections are getting "banned" from ever hosting again, but that's a good thing.

As I said before though, it would be easier to simply take the guy with the best connection to host.

Unrated 7331
04-01-2009, 06:58 PM

Depends on your definition Of the BAN. Don’t take it negatively, if their connection is bad enough to get banned from host, that’s good. They shouldn’t host if their connection is causing considerable lag.

Professor74
04-01-2009, 06:59 PM
why do people insist on complaining about not being host,being host gives you no advantage,like joe said the host wins 48% of the time,not a percentage worth complaining about.

That's a load of crap. I always know when I am host because how much easier it is to kill people.

Also, people with bad connections should not get banned. Epic could fix this whole problem if they made dedicated servers.

Charliezard
04-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Its a good system, that in reality, doesn't need to be fixed. 2 Birds with one stone, destroys alot of the chance of getting bad connections and chances of getting lag switched'.

Unless, of course, they really do lagswitch and you just want the ability to do so?

Regardless, why complain? Being banned just means no host, therefore you are in the same position as everyone else, SO WHATS THE PROBLEM?

Unrated 7331
04-01-2009, 07:02 PM
They don't get banned from the game. I believe they lose the privilege of hosting. Epic has this system where if a player continuously manages to cheat, then only then do they get permanently banned. Sure players with crappy connections are getting "banned" from ever hosting again, but that's a good thing.

As I said before though, it would be easier to simply take the guy with the best connection to host.

I agree with everything, however, sometimes, when the system is testing for the best host, the "best" host may not be the case. Ping rates can change when all the information is put together. The system may select host based on the PING test. When all is said and done, all the players are put together, the packets of information starts being set, their internet may take a nose dive…
I think we’re just experiencing a process of elimination.

Think of it like an interview…
You’re a manager interviewing for a position. The prospect is going to be at their best, talk up their skills and their abilities to perform the job function. However, once their hired, they fail, they’re late to work, the performance is lacking, and their attitude sucks.

OrtanaIV
04-01-2009, 07:04 PM
I agree with everything, however, sometimes, when the system is testing for the best host, the "best" host may not be the case. Ping rates can change when all the information is put together. The system may select host based on the PING test. When all is said and done, all the players are put together, the packets of information starts being set, their internet may take a nose dive…
I think we’re just experiencing a process of elimination.

Think of it like an interview…
You’re a manager interviewing for a position. The prospect is going to be at their best, talk up their skills and their abilities to perform the job function. However, once their hired, they fail, they’re late to work, the performance is lacking, and their attitude sucks.

Interesting thoughts. I see your point. ;)

Unrated 7331
04-01-2009, 07:07 PM
That's a load of crap. I always know when I am host because how much easier it is to kill people.

Also, people with bad connections should not get banned. Epic could fix this whole problem if they made dedicated servers.

I don't think you're grasping the situation. First, you agree, that people with "BAD" connections are getting banned, yes they are, They are GETTING BANNED FROM HOSTING. If they have a bad connection why should they be chosen to HOST?? Use some common sense.

Maybe, if EPIC had two list, would it make you feel better. A "HOST banned" list for people who force host and lag switch.

And another list called a, “Host Restriction List Due to bad connection” (using the same detection system) If these people with “BAD” connections were put into this ‘named’ category would you feel better?

G-Unit
04-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Please read where it says: 'Mysteral Speaks' for SOME reference, as of now, EPIC hasn't said anything about 'fixing' it.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=667512

I see nothing wrong with it.

indecent
04-01-2009, 07:19 PM
I don't think you're grasping the situation. First, you agree, that people with "BAD" connections are getting banned, yes they are, They are GETTING BANNED FROM HOSTING. If they have a bad connection why should they be chosen to HOST?? Use some common sense.

Maybe, if EPIC had two list, would it make you feel better. A "HOST banned" list for people who force host and lag switch.

And another list called a, “Host Restriction List Due to bad connection” (using the same detection system) If these people with “BAD” connections were put into this ‘named’ category would you feel better?

The thing is, Epic can't tell the difference between a standbyer (who deserves to get XBOX banned) and a bad host (which should get host banned). Right now, there isn't 2 different categories because they can't differentiate. Right now, bad hosts and standbyers will be treated the same.

bobdabuilda
04-01-2009, 07:20 PM
wait. how did ur friends get banned?

banned for xbox live?
temp banned from xbox live?
or banned from hosting?

x Mr KLUTCH
04-01-2009, 07:21 PM
no epic dont fix this...its not a PROBLEM...eliminate all these terrible laggy connections from EVER obtaining a host advantage PLEASE...this is one way to level out the EXTREMELY UNLEVEL playing field

Unrated 7331
04-01-2009, 07:25 PM
The thing is, Epic can't tell the difference between a standbyer (who deserves to get XBOX banned) and a bad host (which should get host banned). Right now, there isn't 2 different categories because they can't differentiate. Right now, bad hosts and standbyers will be treated the same.

Standbuyers are not getting XBL banned.. they are getting host banned. So whether or not the fact is they're a standbuyer or have a bad connection is irrelevant. No need to worry about deciphering between the two, both shouldn’t host.

The point is not to punish, imo, but to avoid problems before they begin by restricting those with inadequate connections, and those who exploit being host.

z NOTHINGFACE z
04-01-2009, 07:29 PM
why do people insist on complaining about not being host,being host gives you no advantage,like joe said the host wins 48% of the time,not a percentage worth complaining about.Thats because they give host to retards and those retards have really bad connections. Now my connection is great and if I had host I would just down the whole other team with my Hammerburst unless I were to play against The Game JJS and his friends then I would just get cheated or mod controller'ed but then again I couldn't be host playing against them because there to busy forcing host all the time.

DonnyJN
04-01-2009, 07:44 PM

I could agree with this dude.

quimwedge
04-01-2009, 07:49 PM

It seems to me that even if your connection suffers one brief moment of drop then it thinks you are cheating.If people get banned permanently for this then sooner or later there won't be anybody to host as nobody's connection is perfect 100% of the time.