PDA

View Full Version : Quebec excluded in MSUC

Kantham
03-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Edit: Please see post #27.

Sanch3z
03-15-2009, 10:45 PM
I cant speak officially but I released a map for beta testing prior to submission to MSU and I've seen many other people who have done so also.

bazzwano
03-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Asking EPICs level designers for feedback prior to FINAL may be a different story.... though I doubt they would give a level feedback prior to MSU

Kantham
03-15-2009, 10:53 PM
I cant speak officially but I released a map for beta testing prior to submission to MSU and I've seen many other people who have done so also.

So it work as a yes I take it? I read the FAQ's but couldn't find anything answering my question.

bazzwano
03-15-2009, 11:08 PM
lots of mappers release beta's them submit them when the time comes, I just wouldn't go asking epic for advise before you go final.. thats unfair, but the community's help is fine.. I intend to get the communitys opinion of this who flag timmer thing in my map before I decide if its a keeper.

Angel_Mapper
03-15-2009, 11:18 PM
If someone has a map almost finished right now, and that said person would release his project on the beta forums here, get feedback for final, then near Phase 3 submit it as final for the MSUC, is it acceptable?Why would it not be? :confused:

Kantham
03-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Why would it not be? :confused:

Well, it came to my mind that using other people's feedback/help to win a probable high amount of cash, was a bit, somewhat, unfair.

I just wanted to make sure. Also, on the other hand you could have a project released for months from now (Under beta/final status), then submit for the next phase. This too came to my mind as unfair for some reasons. Whatever.

Thanks AM. :p

I just wouldn't go asking epic for advise before you go final.. thats unfair

Certainly, you never ask a judge before submission..

Flak
03-16-2009, 02:20 AM
If someone has a map almost finished right now, and that said person would release his project on the beta forums here, get feedback for final, then near Phase 3 submit it as final for the MSUC, is it acceptable?

Yes. :)

Kantham
03-21-2009, 12:59 AM
New questions:

1) Can we use stuff from the Titan pack?
2) If I used 2 textures and a sound from a free site for non-comercial use, can I still use them for MSUC by crediting them?

Kantham
03-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Anyone? :)

Hourences
03-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Its weekend plus its GDC next week :)

There is no reason why 2 should be a problem at all. I always use free content here and there.

_N_
03-22-2009, 06:51 PM
I know a ton of people (including myself) who are using Titan content for phase 3. Unless they issue a statement saying that you can't use it, I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume you can. I don't see why they wouldn't allow it...

On a different note, I thought you (Kanthram) couldn't enter the contest because you're from Quebec. Was that just a typo on their part? (it seemed really silly to exclude Quebec in the first place).

jayoplus
03-22-2009, 10:12 PM
I am sure 2 isn't a problem. I had some textures from cgtextures in my P1 entry. It was in the credits.

I believe 1 isn't a problem either since it is available to all, not just a select few.

Kantham
03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

On a different note, I thought you (Kanthram) couldn't enter the contest because you're from Quebec.

What?

I hope you come up with this because I haven't submitted anything yet. It's just that I haven't bothered at all until now, this would be my first time with the MSUC ever.

Hourences
03-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Afaik there is no problem at all from being from Quebec really. As also stated in the rules.

schenksmill
03-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Unless the rules are being misinterpreted here (http://www.makesomethingunreal.com/rules.aspx), then Quebec is indeed not included in allowed territories. As stated in the rules:

The $1 Million Intel Make Something Unreal Contest (the "Contest") is open to individuals (or "Teams" comprised of individuals, as listed below) who are at least 18 years old and who are lawful residents of the 50 U.S. states, the District of Columbia or Canada (excluding Quebec) and can speak, read and understand English. The Contest is also open to English-speaking persons, at least 18 years old (or the age of majority in jurisdictions where the age of majority is over 18 years and where such Contest is legal), and resident in a non-U.S.-embargoed country ("Contestant").

Maybe Epic could clarify the situation here once GDC is over for those living in Quebec.

xxxmachine
03-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Unless the rules are being misinterpreted here (http://www.makesomethingunreal.com/rules.aspx), then Quebec is indeed not included in allowed territories. As stated in the rules:

Maybe Epic could clarify the situation here once GDC is over for those living in Quebec.

not just quebec, i think they should clarify all the countries that cannot participate

Kantham
03-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Excluding Quebec? D:
What? Quebec isn't a Country, it's a Province/State of Canada! Why they'd remove it from the allowed list? Like they'd remove Texas from MSUC or something..

Can we get actual input from a Epic Games employee here for a moment?

Hourences
03-23-2009, 08:24 PM
That only says that you should live in either in English speaking USA or Canada OR live anywhere else on this planet that is not an embargoed country (north korea - somalia - iran - etc), so that would include Quebec.

Kantham
03-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Why they put it so confusing. Ok most of Quebec is built up 60% French only-speakers. But this is really insulting, even laughable.

_N_
03-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Why they put it so confusing. Ok most of Quebec is built up 60% French only-speakers. But this is really insulting, even laughable.

Yeah, the way they stated the rules seem very confusing. If they had just said "The contest is open to anyone in a non-US-Embargoed country, and can speak english" then that would have covered everything. But the way they list Canada explicitly and then exclude Quebec sounds pretty odd...

The first sentence seems to say that if you live in Quebec, you can't enter. But the second sentence seems to say that people from Quebec _can_ enter. The second sentence pretty much contradicts the first, this is pretty darn confusing :confused:.

Still, if worst comes to worst, you could always ask a friend or relative in another province to submit your entry for you ;).

crowl
04-03-2009, 02:50 PM
I know it sounds confusing, but the bottom line is this:

If you are an English-speaking person, and the contest is legal in your country (including Quebec), then you can enter.

Kantham
04-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Hey Crowl, thanks for the reply. Is there any way of knowing if the contest is illegal in my country/province now that you mention that? I don't see how it would be, but just in case.

crowl
04-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Quebec has a lot of rules with which I'm not familiar. I can put in a request to have our legal team investigate, but it would be best to do some research on your own to make sure you can accept cash and/or hardware prizes from Epic. Never say never, but most of our winners thus far are outside of the US, and we haven't had any issues paying people.

crowl
04-06-2009, 03:19 PM
New questions:

1) Can we use stuff from the Titan pack?
2) If I used 2 textures and a sound from a free site for non-comercial use, can I still use them for MSUC by crediting them?

#1 Sure, you can use anything from the Titan Pack because that's part of the "Unreal universe."

#2 This should be fine because a) it's not infringing on third party IP rights, and b) your mod is not for sale.

Kantham
04-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the replies, I asked about the usage of Titan content since people would be forced to download Titan pack in order to play my entry, I thought that might have been undesirable for the contest.

Never say never, but most of our winners thus far are outside of the US, and we haven't had any issues paying people.

That's reassuring. I thought maybe someone from Quebec won in the past, that would conclude it. Still, the way they put it clearly on the page "Quebec excluded" is really out of my mind. But then it's been "cleared up", no worries.

Kantham
04-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Ok after a few seconds of braining, I found this on google. :p

http://www.ehmac.ca/everything-else-eh/47908-quebec-contests-why-they-get-shaft.html

Translation: I'm ****ed.

Basically, the way I read that and the rules, contest owners have to ask permission, what they don't do apparently.

Angel_Mapper
04-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Are you purposely looking for a reason for them to exclude you from the contest? Just wondering. Never seen someone so determined to sabotage himself. :p

Kantham
04-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Oh I am not excluding myself from the contest, no way. I just have to find someone I can trust to claim the prize. That "I'm ****ed" I said was mostly related to how my province has dumb laws, and how almost every prize contest exclude Quebec is priceless.

|Grayfox|
04-14-2009, 01:55 AM
is that a canadain only forum?

never been their & The administrator has banned your IP address

real shame that you cant enter

Kantham
04-14-2009, 01:59 AM
is that a canadain only forum?

never been their & The administrator has banned your IP address

real shame that you cant enter

I'm afraid but I couldn't make out what you said right there. I wasn't by any mean IP banned anywhere.

|Grayfox|
04-14-2009, 04:53 AM
when i went to look at the topic i go IP ban message

so it could be because it is a Canadian Forum only