PDA

View Full Version : msuc phase 3 machinima - who's in?

m3fs
03-13-2009, 01:48 PM
I know of myself and one other guy entering for sure. Anyone else?

geodav
03-13-2009, 02:48 PM
not trying to be nasty but will you actual post the maps from you "matinee" or just a avi

m3fs
03-13-2009, 03:02 PM
nothing nasty about that :)

Epic stated specifically that they want the movie files not the maps...

Doublekill was the first go round for me in machinima so for every scene, I made a new map (yes there were heaps of War-Downtown's). For the dance vid that lessened significantly as I learned to utilize the editor more. That said, I was blown away when I saw Ivanov's kismet scene and I doubt I could do something like that. So for now, it will be just the avi file. :)

bez
03-14-2009, 06:16 PM
i plan to knock up something

m3fs
03-23-2009, 03:06 PM
awesome, looking forward to seeing all the entries. I started putting together a facefx tutorial this weekend. I will complete it if anyone is interested.

geodav
03-27-2009, 04:40 PM
yes please, i'd like to know where i went wrong ;)

Ivanov
04-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Count me in too. I think, I'll do something better then last time. Have to work hard this month. :)

m3fs
04-03-2009, 10:15 AM
do any of you have the problem with meshes clipping in and out with custom animations? This is driving me nuts and preventing me from doing anything. =/

http://www.treadster.com/images/meshProblem.jpg

Ivanov
04-03-2009, 04:40 PM
do any of you have the problem with meshes clipping in and out with custom animations? This is driving me nuts and preventing me from doing anything. =/

I dunno how to fix it. :( I've had Necris head disappearing too, but only at close camera angles. So I've left it as-is.
True, there are many small but crazy issues in UnrealEd. For example - did you know that skeletal meshes are shaking during animation if they are too high on z-axis? That was driving me nuts too. :D

As to the problem - do you have this clipping only on Necris characters?

m3fs
04-03-2009, 06:00 PM
nope, happens on all characters but not vehicles. So far I have uninstalled UT3 and re-installed with no patches. I get the same result. Mine happens at almost all angles or if the camera is moving on solid meshes (cine) or peices (red team male). Doesn't seem to happen when I try and use delivered animations.

Ivanov
04-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Hmm. Looks like parts disappear only in animations where character moves too far away from zero point (of course there are no such animations in delivered package)...

m3fs
04-06-2009, 02:34 PM
AH HA! So it is. This is really strange because I did not see this problem until relatively recently. I created that entire dance video with custom animations that were way off of the origin. Of course I did that with one of their cine maps so maybe the map has something to do with it as well.

geodav
04-06-2009, 04:06 PM
you could try cooking the content first and then try again

m3fs
04-07-2009, 02:43 PM
good thought. I will try that. Thanks geo.

wildshot
04-11-2009, 12:41 AM
How are people making custom animations? Are they made using 3rd party programs like Maya or something? I'm interested in learning how to do this, are there any tutorials out there about how to do this kind of stuff?

m3fs
04-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Yes, all of the custom animation I have come from 3rd party programs and are imported into UE3.

There are heaps of tutorials out there for 3DS max, Maya, Blender, Lightwave, you name it. Also check you local library, they often have great computer books that cover recent versions of everything.

You don't NEED custom animations though. You can make something pretty good without them too. :)

m3fs
04-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Hmm. Looks like parts disappear only in animations where character moves too far away from zero point (of course there are no such animations in delivered package)...

Strangely, if you use one of the cine maps (in my case the Briefing one) the clipping happens but isn't nearly so bad. why is that??

juicyj
06-18-2009, 01:10 AM

http://www.treadster.com/images/meshProblem.jpg

Sorry to bump an old thread, but do you have any more information about this animation clipping?

I've run into the same problem myself and have tried everything I can think of to fix it.

m3fs
06-18-2009, 01:14 AM
as a matter of fact...

I HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!

I am making a video tutorial about how to fix it. It will be up shortly.

m3fs
06-19-2009, 01:04 AM
posted the fix here

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?p=26559427#post26559427