PDA

View Full Version : Funny thing a co-worker tried to claim with Gears Of War and Steam

RareAir23
12-20-2008, 12:31 AM
OK guys ready for this one. According to a co-worker in my department at work he made the blasphemous claim that Gears Of War for Windows can be added to Steam (yes THAT Steam) as a non-Steam game and run fine within Steam with no restrictions and no problems whatsoever. Wuh-whaaaaa??? Last I checked that is a complete white lie. Because Gears uses a dual-executable to run the game (wargame-GFWLIVE.exe and startup.exe) Steam won't detect the second executable after it runs errr launches the 1st and it will crash out. So anybody want to prove me right and this guy wrong (I'm also requesting that someone from Epic Games back me up on the claim that Gears for Windows will NOT run in Steam)? Also, the guy involved will remain nameless but he is an idiot, he's from Alaska and he always goes after women completely out of his league. I am out!

d15c0d4v3
12-20-2008, 12:34 AM
I'd be glad to back you up or test it out myself if I can get my installation to work:
1. I recently installed Gears of War on my Vista computer. After installing, I run the game and it runs perfectly. However, I cannot play online without downloading the update. After downloading and installing, the game restarts but crashes to the desktop immediately after the introduction sequences (Game experience may change during online play, Epic Games, Microsoft Game Studios) and right before the title screen shows. The Live sign-in thing usually shows up during that.
2. Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.40 GHz Processor, 3838MB RAM
3. Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001)
4. None
5. English
6. via Windows Live

RareAir23
12-20-2008, 12:45 AM
OK d15c0d4v3, a quick question. When you installed Gears of War for Windows did you remember to install the latest Games For Windows LIVE Redistributable file before you installed the game? That is paramount to getting the game working as it is recommended to install the redistributable before the game for the game to work. Also, try updating the game's patches manually. Fileshack.com is where you can find the patches. They aren't big patches at all (less than 10MB each) so it's a light download. Try those things and get back to me. Also, let's get some debate on whether Gears of War will work with Steam or not. Hey Epic...I'm talking to you guys too. Out!

BlackRaven
12-20-2008, 05:39 AM
its possible but its bugged, the games not fully compatible with the steam overlay and therefore crashes soemtimes.

proof: http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/4575/wargameg4wlive200812201to4.jpg

RareAir23
12-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Good answer BlackRaven so lemme ask you this then, if a user had a fully stable copy of Gears on his system non-Steam would it too big a risk to add it to Steam IYO? In other words, is Gears a game better left off Steam like I believe? Thanks in advance for the answer. Out!

BlackRaven
12-21-2008, 01:37 PM
like i said it crashes more often when run from steam