PDA

View Full Version : Changing footstep sounds on terrain

Odedge
11-28-2008, 02:44 AM
I have been trying to figure out if/how you can change the footstep sounds for terrain. I tried using materials with footstep sounds assigned to the them, though in-game, it's always the same sound.

I tried adding a "static mesh" collision component in the Collision section and added a physics material (this is how I change the sounds for static meshes), but that didn't work.

Is this possible?

DGUnreal
11-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Terrain doesn't currently support footstep sounds. It always plays the same default sound.
This should be implemented in the engine soon but I don't know if UT3 will get that feature also.

Odedge
11-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Terrain doesn't currently support footstep sounds. It always plays the same default sound.
This should be implemented in the engine soon but I don't know if UT3 will get that feature also.

That's what I thought after my original series of tests. It seems such a standard feature, surprised it doesn't work. Ohh well... :(

DGUnreal
11-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Hopefully we will see it in a future patch.
That along with a pile of other features are being completed on the engine actors.

Idiot
11-29-2008, 07:26 PM
This can't be done with a physics volume?

Odedge
11-29-2008, 07:30 PM
This can't be done with a physics volume?

Naw... A physics volume usually only effects how the player's body reacts to the volume. I tried adding a Component in the Physics section (tried a Static Mesh one) as you can change the footstep sounds for a SM in this section. But it didn't work.

DGUnreal
11-29-2008, 07:48 PM
This is probably too technical for everyone... :p

The only proper way to do this is actual feature integration in the engine for the Terrain actor.

For example, if you had a terrain that was grass with a thin dirt pathway, it would be near-impossible to create a bunch of twisting volumes or meshes or other method that follows the pathway just to get a different foot sound.

The reason why there is currently only the one footstep sound is because the terrain system combines all layer Materials into one single compiled shader "Super-Material" for each terrain component, which occurs automatically behind the scenes.
So even if you specified individual settings for each individual layer Material that you used (eg. rock, dirt, grass), when they are combined into the Super-Material the individual physical asset properties are not retained because there is only one of these allowed for a Material, and the terrain actually only has the one Super-Material.

For it to work it can't be based on the compiled Super-Material, the engine code has to be changed so that line casts are performed that read the corresponding texel from the Super-Material and use that to look up the weightmaps and determine which layer has the strongest top-most painted value, then base the footstep off of that.

If the upcoming UT3 super bonus pack is ready sometime next year we may see this feature integrated by then.

Odedge
11-29-2008, 08:04 PM
This is probably too technical for everyone... :p

The only proper way to do this is actual feature integration in the engine for the Terrain actor.

For example, if you had a terrain that was grass with a thin dirt pathway, it would be near-impossible to create a bunch of twisting volumes or meshes or other method that follows the pathway just to get a different foot sound.

The reason why there is currently only the one footstep sound is because the terrain system combines all layer Materials into one single compiled shader "Super-Material" for each terrain component, which occurs automatically behind the scenes.
So even if you specified individual settings for each individual layer Material that you used (eg. rock, dirt, grass), when they are combined into the Super-Material the individual physical asset properties are not retained because there is only one of these allowed for a Material, and the terrain actually only has the one Super-Material.

For it to work it can't be based on the compiled Super-Material, the engine code has to be changed so that line casts are performed that read the corresponding texel from the Super-Material and use that to look up the weightmaps and determine which layer has the strongest top-most painted value, then base the footstep off of that.

If the upcoming UT3 super bonus pack is ready sometime next year we may see this feature integrated by then.

I understand what you said and it makes sense. But they could have allowed you to override it with a different foot step sound for the "Mega-Texture" as a whole. :p

Luckly, the sound works well enough with the sound I would like it to produce.

Idiot
11-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Naw... A physics volume usually only effects how the player's body reacts to the volume. I tried adding a Component in the Physics section (tried a Static Mesh one) as you can change the footstep sounds for a SM in this section. But it didn't work.

Sorry I meant physics material

Odedge
11-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Sorry I meant physics material

Gotcha! Seems like you should be able to apply atleast one for the entire terrain. Ohh well..

TheAgent
11-29-2008, 10:03 PM
UT2004 has seperate footstep sounds for each texture applied on the terrain and it takes on account for the wieght of the texture...oh wells

Idiot
12-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Gotcha! Seems like you should be able to apply atleast one for the entire terrain. Ohh well..

the alternative might be a little time consuming, but if you really wanted to, you could create multiple invisible materials that have their own physical material, lay down some planes, and apply the material. Technically, that should work - maybe.