PDA

View Full Version : UT3 Style Mutators for UT2004 [b3 - Weapon models!]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

GreatEmerald
11-15-2008, 02:18 PM
And here it is! I finally finished the beta 3 version of the UT3 style mutators. It now includes:

1. UT3 Weapons:
Version: Beta 2.0
All of the weapons from UT3 converted for use in UT2004. That includes sounds, functionality, visuals and icons.

2. UT3 Vehicles:
Version: Beta 1.1
All the vehicles converted from UT3 for use in UT2004. That includes sounds, functionality, tooltips and some visuals.

3. UT3 Instagib:
Version: Beta 1.0
Instagib with UT3 Instagib Rifles.

4. UT3 Like the Back of My Hand:
A mutator that emulates the UT3 achievement "Like the Back of My Hand". It displays the amount of pickups on the map and gives you an announcement and logs it if you manage to find all the pickups in a map.

Info on the mod on my website:
http://greatemerald.xmpcommunity.com/index.php/unreal-tournament-2004/unreal-tournament-2004-mods/49-unreal-tournament-3-style-mutators-powerwheel.html

Download:
Download UT3 Style Mutators for UT2004 Beta 3 (http://www.mediafire.com/?nnl5y1dimj5) (38 MB)
Alternative mirror: Download from my website (http://greatemerald.xmpcommunity.com/index.php/downloads.html?do=view&file=Unreal+Tournament+2004|Mods|UT3Style4UT2004-B3.7z)

Known bugs (taken from readme):

Weapons:
1. Impact Hammer: It doesn't knock items off players.
2. Enforcer, Stinger, Sniper: The tracer colour is not the same.
3. Biorifle: It doesn't have the blob at the end of it once charged.
4. Shock Rifle: The skin isn't entirely the same, however, it can't be due to UE2 limitations. Will use particles later.
5. AVRiL: The lock on crosshair isn't right.
6. Rocket Launcher: It charges faster than its animation shows.
7. Translocator: The EM field skin might show some anomalies.

Vehicles:
1. Leviathan: Doesn't have destroyable turrets.
2. Hellfire SPMA: Bot support isn't complete.
3. Scorpion: Can steer too good when boosting.
4. Overall: Steering and speed might feel incorrect.
5. Vehicles still use UT2004 meshes.

Instagib:
1. No zoom Instagib yet.

Overall:
1. Please note that the feeling might be not identical to UT3 as the values were usually just copied over from UT3 to UT2004. Yet that way you still have some UT2004 feel which eliminates most issues people mention about original UT3 weapons.
2. Not tested online thoroughly, but should work for the most part.
3. The armour pickups won't appear in the HUD.

Other TODO:
1. Add animations for vehicles
2. Convert other vehicles
3. Add spawn effects (after I get meshes)
4. Add projectiles

Screenshots:
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2381/shot00319.th.jpg (http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2381/shot00319.jpg)
The AVRiL in DM-Khronos. You can also see the "Like the Back of My Hand" counter at the lower right.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6631/shot00316.th.jpg (http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6631/shot00316.jpg)
The Translocator's Electromagnetic effect.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2593/shot00243.th.jpg (http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2593/shot00243.jpg)
The Rocket Launcher's new fire mode, rocket propelled grenades.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/382/shot00135p.th.jpg (http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/382/shot00135p.jpg)
The BioRifle mesh and it's projectile texture (Thanks to KillerSkaarj for the texture).

Promotion movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daUYiVR6y3U

The official Readme:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
|**|Readme of Unreal Tournament 3 Weapons, Pickups and Vehicles mutators for Unreal Tournament 2004|**|
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

*NOTE: For best results, Word Wrap needs to be enabled.*

-------------------
GENERAL INFORMATION
-------------------

Authors: GreatEmerald, Wormbo
Release Date: 2008 11 15
Last Update: 2010 06 07
Archive Filename: UT3Style4UT2004-B3.7z
Unpacked Size: 109 MB
Version: Beta 3.0

-------------------
MUTATOR INFORMATION
-------------------

Mutator Names: UT3 Weapons, UT3 Vehicles, UT3 Instagib, UT3 Like the Back of My Hand
New Textures: Yes
New Sounds: Yes
New Music: No
New Weapons: Yes
New Vehicles: Yes
New UnrealScript: Yes
New UnrealMatinee: No
Custom Vertex Animated Meshes: No
Custom Static Meshes: Yes
Weapons: All UT3 weapons.
Ammo: For all UT3 weapons.
Vehicles: All Axon UT3 vehicles.
Pickups: All UT3 ones except for some powerups.
Sounds: For pickups, weapons and vehicles.
Animations: None yet.

------------
CONSTRUCTION
------------

Base: Unreal Tournament 3
Build Time: Several months.
Editors Used: UDE, Notepad, PSPad, UnrealEd 3.0, Sound Recorder, UnrealEd for UT3, Audacity.
Known Issues: See the Known Issues category below.

------------
KNOWN ISSUES
------------
Weapons:
1. Impact Hammer: It doesn't knock items off players.
2. Enforcer, Stinger, Sniper: The tracer colour is not the same.
3. Biorifle: It doesn't have the blob at the end of it once charged.
4. Shock Rifle: The skin isn't entirely the same, however, it can't be due to UE2 limitations. Will use particles later.
5. AVRiL: The lock on crosshair isn't right.
6. Rocket Launcher: It charges faster than its animation shows.
7. Translocator: The EM field skin might show some anomalies.

Vehicles:
1. Leviathan: Doesn't have destroyable turrets.
2. Hellfire SPMA: Bot support isn't complete.
3. Scorpion: Can steer too good when boosting.
4. Overall: Steering and speed might feel incorrect.
5. Vehicles still use UT2004 meshes.

Instagib:
1. No zoom Instagib yet.

Overall:
1. Please note that the feeling might be not identical to UT3 as the values were usually just copied over from UT3 to UT2004. Yet that way you still have some UT2004 feel which eliminates most issues people mention about original UT3 weapons.
2. Not tested online thoroughly, but should work for the most part.
3. The armour pickups won't appear in the HUD.

------------
REQUIREMENTS
------------

Unreal Tournament 2004 with Editor's Choice or Megapack BPs.

------------
INSTALLATION
------------

RAR:

Unrar UT3Style4UT2004-B3.rar into your UT2004 folder. If you want to do it manually, follow the guide below.

Guide:
*.unr, *.un2, and *.ut2 files go in Maps\
*.utx files go in Textures\
*.umx and *.ogg files go in Music\
*.uax files go in Sounds\
*.u, *.ucl, *.int, and *.ini files go in System\
*.usx files go in StaticMeshes\
*.ukx files go in Animations\
*.ka files go in Karma\
*.upx files go in Prefabs\

-----------
DESCRIPTION
-----------

Unreal Tournament 3 weapons, pickups and vehicles converted to Unreal Tournament 2004. This pack gives you four mutators:
1. UT3 Weapons:
Version: Beta 2.0
All of the weapons from UT3 converted for use in UT2004. That includes sounds, functionality, visuals and icons.

2. UT3 Vehicles:
Version: Beta 1.1
All the vehicles converted from UT3 for use in UT2004. That includes sounds, functionality, tooltips and some visuals.

3. UT3 Instagib:
Instagib with UT3 Instagib Rifles.

4. UT3 Like the Back of My Hand:
A mutator that emulates the UT3 achievement "Like the Back of My Hand". It displays the amount of pickups on the map and gives you an announcement and logs it if you manage to find all the pickups in a map.

-----
NOTES
-----

Works very well with some versions of the map VCTF-Suspense2K4 to bring the UT3 feeling to UT2004.

--------------
OTHER PROJECTS
--------------

Still working on this mutator pack; also on Unreal Tournament 2003 style mutators and Unreal II weapons. You can find information on all this and more on my website.

-------
TESTERS
-------

Wormbo, GreatEmerald, Epic Games and BeyondUnreal forums

-------
CREDITS
-------

Wormbo:
For porting the health and armour pickups, Translocator, Leviathan and SPMA, and allowing to further develop and release the mod;
GreatEmerald:
For porting the rest of the weapons, vehicles, sounds and icons;
KillerSkaarj:
For providing models and textures of the weapons.
Wail of Suicide:
For providing the base for the UT3 Scorpion;
ZeaLitY:
For providing all the weapon, vehicle and pickup sounds;
meowcat:
For help in solving some UnrealScript related issues.
RoninMastaFX:
For providing the Readme template;
Epic Games Forums:
For providing support, answering questions and giving tips.

---------
CHANGELOG
---------

+ b1.0 The initial beta.
* b1.1 Fixed the Shock Rifle bug that prevented it from doing combos.
* b1.1 The Sniper Rifle no longer creates a smoke screen.
+ b2.0 Added the vehicles: Hellbender, Manta, Goliath, Scorpion, Paladin, Hellfire SPMA.
! b2.0 The Raptor is now just like the one in UT3.
! b2.0 Leviathan now has correct sounds.
! b2.0 You can no longer make Impact Hammer jumps after jumping, but the height of a jump was increased by 20%.
! b2.0 Link Gun alt fire transfers less momentum.
+ b3.0 Added all of the meshes and textures for weapons.
! b3.0 Revised most of the weapon sounds, now they feel closer to their UT3 counterparts.
* b3.0 Fixed most of the weapon bugs that were present in the previous beta. See the development blog for more details.
+ b3.0 A lot of mechanics additions for weapons so they would be nearly the same as in UT3.

----------------
CHANGELOG LEGEND
----------------

* Fixed
+ New
- Deleted
! Changed
@ Renamed
# Restored
& Statement

-----------
PERMISSIONS
-----------

You MAY use this mutator pack as a base for other packs.

You MAY NOT commercially exploit this level, i.e. put it on a CD or any other electronic medium that is sold for money without our explicit permission!

You MAY distribute this level through any electronic network (Internet, FIDO, Magazine Covers, local BBS, etc.), provided you include this file and leave the archive intact.

----------------
COPYRIGHT NOTICE
----------------

Unreal Tournament 3 Weapons, Pickups and Vehicles mutators for Unreal Tournament 2004 is Copyright (c) 2008 by GreatEmerald and Wormbo.

Unreal Tournament 2004 (c) 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008 Epic Games, Inc. and Digital Extremes. All Rights Reserved. Unreal and the Unreal logo are registered trademarks of Epic Games, Inc. All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.

Unreal Tournament 3 (c) 2007, 2008 Epic Games, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Unreal and the Unreal logo are registered trademarks of Epic Games, Inc. All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.

Tawn
11-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Excellent work GreatEmerald! Downloading and testing straight away!

Lorin-Slasher
11-15-2008, 03:43 PM
I can't seem to download it... Maybe Filefront's on the fritz.

GreatEmerald
11-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Yea, Filefront doesn't like me downloading it too, but I can upload just normally. Odd.

Lorin-Slasher
11-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Maybe there's something wrong with your FF Account?

Dark Kontroll
11-15-2008, 04:10 PM
woww!!! downloading....

Tawn
11-15-2008, 04:24 PM
I gave it a few runs, I am very interested with this and the sounds are very nice, and great work on the Leviathan and crosshairs! Keep up the good job ;)
What was different about the Raptor though? Was it the firing rate of the alt fire/missiles?(Sorry, I dont have UT3)

GreatEmerald
11-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Lorin, nope, that's a global FileFront problem. I guess I could host some more popular mods in an alternative location as well...

Tawn, thank Wormbo for the Leviathan, and yea, it's very cool :)
And yes, the difference of the Raptor is the alt fire speed. I guess there's also something else, but I haven't started working on the vehicles yet, so can't say too much.

EDIT: I'll also add the files to UT200XFiles.com (it just pretends being the same filefront, it's actually another site :) ). They're pending now.

.:..:
11-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Something ur missing:
http://www.klankaos.com/downloads/SPMAShot.jpg
A mouse controlled SPMA.
Well this was a project I scrapped long time ago as I lost intrest in developing it.

GreatEmerald
11-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Cool. Care to share? :)

And I'm not missing it, it's in the TODO list ;) Yet you could save me some time... And heck, I wouldn't be able to do it by myself anyway :)

GreatEmerald
11-15-2008, 06:32 PM
No it's not... What do you mean?
By the way, it's very fun observing the weapons in Assault. The Link Gun makes a helluva defence weapon - the alt fire has quite a nice knockback effect on the target, and that makes it hard to get to the hold objectives. But on the other side is the Stinger Minigun which makes a helluva attack weapon - the alt fire is absolutely perfect for taking out damageable objectives.

Also, the knockback effect in UT2004 is a lot bigger than in UT3, where I hardly ever notice any at all. And I'm not sure which is better, and which is a bug.

Tawn
11-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Shock Rifle

Right Mouse
Left Mouse

Nothing happens.
Ditto. Nothing.

9ades
11-15-2008, 08:48 PM
I noticed pawns were "heavier" in UT3, that's why UT3 knockback values will affect UT2k4 pawns more.

Agreed on Stinger Alt, I looked at the code for that a while ago. Very high speed, lifetime of 10 seconds, double the range of the sniper rifle, and no reduced damage on vehicles, it's a beast.

I look forward to giving this mutator a spin.

DougC-Icarus
11-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Recently downloaded and played it, too.
All I can say is nice job! :)

I did not expect the kickback from the link gun (either it felt different in the UT3 or is it just me.) I was hoping if the grenade launch function worked on the Rocket Launcher, but I guess it is not there.

Shock Rifle

Right Mouse
Left Mouse

Nothing happens.

I also used the UT3 shock rifle and the shock combo does not work.

Meanwhile, as a response to the clouded sniper rifle. Since I think the UT3 sniper rifle is a subclass of the ClassicSniperRifle (from UT2004's UTClassic.u). I found this in the ClassicSniperAttachment, which also affected the UT3 Sniper Rifle's attachment.

simulated event ThirdPersonEffects()
{
local vector SmokeLoc, SmokeOffset;
local coords C;

if ( (FlashCount != 0) && (Level.NetMode != NM_DedicatedServer) )
{
if (FiringMode == 0)
WeaponLight();

if ( Instigator.IsFirstPerson() )
{
SmokeLoc = Instigator.Location + Instigator.Eyeheight * vect(0,0,1) + Instigator.CollisionRadius * vector(Instigator.Controller.Rotation);
SmokeLoc.Z += SmokeOffsetZ;
Spawn(class'ClassicSniperSmoke',,,SmokeLoc);
}
else if ( Level.TimeSeconds - Instigator.LastRenderTime < 0.2 )
{
if (mMuzFlash3rd == None)
mMuzFlash3rd = Spawn(class'XEffects.AssaultMuzFlash3rd');

C = Instigator.GetBoneCoords('righthand');
SmokeOffset = -1 * C.ZAxis * (Instigator.CollisionRadius + 35);
mMuzFlash3rd.SetLocation( C.Origin + SmokeOffset + C.ZAxis * 23 + C.YAxis*4.5);
mMuzFlash3rd.SetDrawScale(1.0);
mMuzFlash3rd.SetRotation(rotator(-1 * C.ZAxis));
mMuzFlash3rd.mStartParticles++;
SmokeLoc = C.Origin + SmokeOffset;
Spawn(class'ClassicSniperSmoke',,,SmokeLoc);
}
}

Super.ThirdPersonEffects();
}
The ClassicSniperSmoke might the smoke that is obscuring the sniper rifle when in zoom.

EDIT: What was bolded in red is what causes the smoke in screen. The other smoke is produced in third person.

GreatEmerald
11-16-2008, 04:35 AM
Oh, you're right about the Shock Rifle. It worked earlier, hmm...

9ades, there is damage reduction for vehicles. 0.6:
http://www.codekisk.com/unreal/ut3/scriptref/Source_utgame/utdmgtype_stingershard.html

Thanks DougC-Icarus, I never thought something could be in Attachment.

EDIT: Oh bummer, I forgot to tell the Shock Ball to explode when hit from UT3ShockRifle instead of ShockRifle...
EDIT2: No, it was actually the damage type issue all along. Bah, I don't like how Epic used hacks in their code :\ ) Uploading a new version now.

GreatEmerald
11-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Updated to Beta 1.1:
http://files.filefront.com/UT3+Style+Mutators+for+UT2004/;12368535;/fileinfo.html

---------
CHANGELOG
---------

* b1.1 Fixed the Shock Rifle bug that prevented it from doing combos.
* b1.1 The Sniper Rifle no longer creates a smoke screen.

EDIT: And here's another screenshot that shows you how rapid the Link Gun now fires:
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/3416/shot00020mq4.th.jpg (http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/3416/shot00020mq4.jpg)

Dark Kontroll
11-16-2008, 05:47 PM
mmm.... i test the mutator and is good, but need some fixes. for example, the stinger minigun is mi favorite weapon but for some weird reason, the bots never employ the minigun...:confused:
in other things, personaly, i hate the especial efect from the link gun, is very anoying when a bot push me to the abyss...:mad:
another thing: the armor never apears in my hud...:confused:

GreatEmerald
11-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Yeap, I don't know how to code AI yet...
And yes, armor doesn't appear in the HUD, but it's there. Forgot to mention in the bugs.

Murphy
11-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Good project. I'm looking forward to future versions.

I don't have numbers to prove it but the flak's primary seems to travel too fast. Maybe that's the exit speed in UT3 but the chunks feel a lot slower in UT3. Maybe they are slowed down over time and you forgot that in the UT2004 version?!

I didn't get to hit someone with the charged biorifle yet but does it have such a huge hitbox as in UT3 too and does it leave the opponent a second to be disintegrated?

GreatEmerald
11-17-2008, 11:02 AM
http://www.codekisk.com/unreal/ut3/scriptref/Source_utgame/utproj_flakshard.html
It's the same speed here and there. And wearing out is in UT2004 too, though not sure about slowness.

I didn't change any collisions as there is no collision info in the UT3 source (at least usually). And no, the opponent doesn't "wear green" yet.

lord softhijs
11-20-2008, 12:19 PM
hmm, as far as i see on the screenshots, the weapons don't change in first-person view. or is it just that this mutator changes the way the weapons fire?

GreatEmerald
11-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Like I've said, it changes sounds and the way weapons work.

9ades
11-22-2008, 02:43 AM
As for bots and the minigun, have you messed with the AIRating setting? It's supposed to act like a selection weight for weapons, though I haven't tested it much. Most weapons have around 0.70, Assault rifle has 0.40.

Momentum for the Link beam needs to come down, it just pushes people around the map. Did UT3's link even have lockdown?

Nice job on the Levi. Good luck with the Hellbender and Scorp.

I never expected to see (and hear) UT3 styled respawns for pickups. Good job on that too.
:D

GreatEmerald
11-22-2008, 08:58 AM
I know I should change AIRatings and such, but I don't know the syntax...

No, in UT3 people are too heavy to be able to notice that effect.

DougC-Icarus
11-22-2008, 11:41 AM
One thing, when I am using the Stinger Minigun's alt-fire, the fire sound (sounds like the stinger minigun winding down) is not like the UT3 version. In speaking, the stinger's alt-projectile impact sounds like the firing sound (I meant alt-fire.).

GreatEmerald
11-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Really? It sounds like I hear it in Beta Demo, maybe it was changed since then?

KillerSkaarj
01-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Hey, is this project still being worked on, or is it on hold due to lack of resources? I really like how the weapons work, and the Stinger Minigun works very well (except the altfire bugs me with it being a blue linkgun projectile. But that's just me).

I wish I could help with the meshes and animations, but the UT3 editor refuses to open. Maybe it's due to my crappy specs. I dunno.

GreatEmerald
01-22-2009, 08:50 AM
It's active, but I have to set up UnrealScript again after reinstalling, and I'm also working on numerous other projects, one is really interesting and near beta, another one is a mapping project. So I will work on it once I'll have time, and all reports go to the "UT3 Ports?" thread in Mod Ideas.

KillerSkaarj
01-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Ah, ok. Thanks for the info.

Herr General
01-22-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm wondering...is it possible to implement the distortion effect as in UT3? It should be (I think they work by normal maps) but I don't know if UE2 supports it.

GreatEmerald
01-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Yeap, as far as I know, you can't. At the very least you need a new renderer, but I guess it's just not supported.

Herr General
01-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Well, apparently the Farseer weapon mod included the distortion effect thingy, but I've never seen it. So perhaps you could ask him.

Quantum0700
01-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Do you think weapon models are in the cards?

9ades
01-30-2009, 12:28 AM
I think it's certainly possible. There is a utility called Game Extractor that can read UT3 files (and most other games on the planet as well). The hard part would be the animations. It's quite an ambitious project.

++EDIT++

Yay, only 1000 more posts till 1337 posts! W00T!

GreatEmerald
01-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Yeap, we could get models, but not animations... I'm planning to use them for static meshes in some future release.

KillerSkaarj
01-30-2009, 06:11 PM
So wait, in the aforementioned future release, only the weapons' pickup meshes will be the UT3 ones?

GreatEmerald
02-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Not in the nearest release anyway.

Redeemerheadshot
02-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Yet another great mutator by GreatEmerald, Keep up the good work!

GreatEmerald
02-22-2009, 03:23 PM
A new version should be out shortly, I had to test Linux again this weekend and didn't work on it yet. Wine has really progressed, and I'm very impressed with this! The whole weekend I didn't need anything else than Linux, no Microsoft products at all :D

dwax
02-25-2009, 01:41 PM
GreatEmerald, any idea when you'll have an update?:D

wildman
02-25-2009, 02:01 PM
I just tried this out nice work so far guys... :):D

GreatEmerald
02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Well, check out the "Ports from UT3?" thread on the Ideas forum, I'm posting the progress updates there. I have only Cicada and Leviathan left to finalise, and Wormbo has only the SPMA. That will be Beta 2 (mostly only vehicle updates), and I think for Beta 3 we'll concentrate more on the visuals.

wildman
02-27-2009, 02:02 PM
I got this on my rented server online the only one that doesn't work is the link gun. All the other guns work fine. Love the sounds they make.. like i said nice work so far.

GreatEmerald
02-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Yay, online compatibility test! What in particular doesn't work? And does your log have any references to that?

Tawn
02-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Running this with RPG- it removes the UT3 Link Gun because UT2004RPG requires the RPG Link Gun, so I think that is why. Also UT3 Stinger Gun doesn't work too well with RPG, but it's not only your weapon that is affected- all fast firing weapons have also been affected(I remember the Fusion-Gatling Gun not working properly, from some weapon pack I forget).

wildman
02-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Running this with RPG- it removes the UT3 Link Gun because UT2004RPG requires the RPG Link Gun, so I think that is why. Also UT3 Stinger Gun doesn't work too well with RPG, but it's not only your weapon that is affected- all fast firing weapons have also been affected(I remember the Fusion-Gatling Gun not working properly, from some weapon pack I forget).

Yes i'm running RPG you might be right about the link, the stinger still kicks but even though the firing is a bit slow. Healing and all that other stuff works so i think i'm going to keep it on the server. I like it.. Any chance of putting the weapon skins on in the future GreatEmerald???? Keep up the good work..;)

GreatEmerald
02-28-2009, 02:52 AM
Yeah, I'm planning to add the Static Meshes in Beta 3 and animations might follow in Beta 4, although it might be quite difficult to extract them.

KillerSkaarj
02-28-2009, 04:35 AM
I have the full game, and if someone could tell me how to do it, I'd extract and send the Static Meshes to you immediately.

Wormbo
02-28-2009, 04:39 AM
I have the full game as well. I don't worry about the static meshes, those are usually easy to work with. The problems I see are with the skeletal meshes, which are likely going to give us headaches.

GreatEmerald
02-28-2009, 05:44 AM
Use a program called 3D Ripper DX:
http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm
You'll get .3DS files, which can then be exported as .ASE and then imported to UEd 3. Not sure about animations though, they seem to be quite difficult to export, but maybe it can do that too.

Wormbo
02-28-2009, 05:46 AM
No, don't. Use UModel (http://www.gildor.org/en/projects/umodel), that'll be able to export meshes and animations.

KillerSkaarj
02-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Crap, UModel doesn't work on this computer for some odd reason... either it opens and then closes a split second later, or it opens and then freezes. I'm using Windows XP.

Stupid DOS programs...

EDIT: I just did a quick search and found out that Windows XP can't run DOS programs.

Stupid Windows XP. And I really wanted to help too...

GreatEmerald
03-01-2009, 04:48 AM
Cool! Thanks Wormbo.
KillerSkaarj, use DOSBox to emulate DOS.

By the way, wildman, what's your server IP? I might check it out.

|Grayfox|
03-01-2009, 04:55 AM
its nice

i would like to see some models

Wormbo
03-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Crap, UModel doesn't work on this computer for some odd reason... either it opens and then closes a split second later, or it opens and then freezes. I'm using Windows XP.

Stupid DOS programs...

EDIT: I just did a quick search and found out that Windows XP can't run DOS programs.

Stupid Windows XP. And I really wanted to help too...

XP can run DOS programs just fine. In fact, UModel is no DOS program, it's a console program that only opens a window to display meshes or textures. You should run it from Start->Run... either directly or through cmd.exe. It won't run via DOSBox btw, as it's a 32bit Windows application.

wildman
03-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Cool! Thanks Wormbo.
KillerSkaarj, use DOSBox to emulate DOS.

By the way, wildman, what's your server IP? I might check it out.

Sure here it is. 66.55.149.43:7777 This is my website you join on there as well.
http://www.freewebs.com/monsterextreme/

KillerSkaarj
03-02-2009, 11:59 AM
UModel constantly continues to freeze. I don't think it wants to work for me. You guys are on your own, I guess...

wildman
03-04-2009, 12:43 PM
GreatEmerald did you check your mod out on my server??? Just wondering..

GreatEmerald
03-04-2009, 04:13 PM
No, because I realised I can't because of version mismatches :) As I have a newer version, I can't join older ones. But I will if you will upgrade to Beta 2 after its release.

GreatEmerald
03-23-2009, 12:02 PM
And here it is! The Beta 2 of this mod! The main target for this beta were the vehicles. This version has all of Axon ones converted for use in UT2004, with a few more minor changes.

Changelog:

+ b2.0 Added the vehicles: Hellbender, Manta, Goliath, Scorpion, Paladin, Hellfire SPMA.
! b2.0 The Raptor is now just like the one in UT3.
! b2.0 Leviathan now has correct sounds.
! b2.0 You can no longer make Impact Hammer jumps after jumping, but the height of a jump was increased by 20%.
! b2.0 Link Gun alt fire transfers less momentum.

Download links are in the first post.
Enjoy the vehicles :)

wildman
03-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Thx i got this version in my server but the link gun still don't work..

GreatEmerald
03-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Well, that's not my issue, it's the RPG's issue.

Dark Kontroll
03-23-2009, 07:53 PM
great!! downloading...

KillerSkaarj
03-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Awesome! Too bad my UT2K4 is malfunctioning... I only got to play for several minutes...

The problem is, I'm lagging in game even with some settings turned down, and eventually these killer polygons keep stretching off of nearby terrain and static meshes and lashing out at me. My video card used to never do this and now it's suddenly causing the game to be unplayable. I scanned the registry and it's still doing that. My video card is nowhere near overheating.... I dunno what the problem is. I didn't even get to test out the new SPMA... :(

Tawn
03-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Great work, loved the SPMA and it's effects.

Wormbo
03-24-2009, 03:46 AM
Thanks. :)
Unfortunately I didn't get around to telling bots how to use it properly.

wildman
03-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Well, that's not my issue, it's the RPG's issue.
No worries i still like what you have done with it so far..:D Nice work

9ades
03-29-2009, 03:41 AM
That's alright, at least I won't keep getting hit by bombs from the sky all the damn time, lolz.
:D

Tawn
03-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Is the scorpion self destruct really supposed to kill the driver too? I thought it was just a eject and watch it crash type of thing, because whenever I eject myself from the scorpion but am too close to it's explosion, I get killed.

Wormbo
03-30-2009, 04:06 AM
I haven't tried this one yet, but in UT3 I have never managed to kill myself that way.

GreatEmerald
03-30-2009, 08:26 AM
No, you get ejected and you *should* be alive. No idea why sometimes that fails...

9ades
04-05-2009, 03:32 AM
Two small bugs. You can "combo" yourself in the SPMA. On the sniper, the zoom sound overrides the firing sound (ie, fire a shot and zoom out to see what I mean).

And enforcer/sniper bullets can gib people (simple adjustment to the damagetype can fix that).

Otherwise ..... COOL mod!

Nice job on the SPMA. I liked how the skymines on the Hellbender were made faster, actually makes the skymines less spammable.

And enforcer is always cool.

TurdDrive
05-24-2009, 06:27 PM
how is this coming along?

GreatEmerald
05-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Halted at the moment. I'm working on the Unreal II weapons mod now, but only a few days until the release, then I'll look at this mod again.

Designer0101
06-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Oh great. Finally i will be able to play my favourite game and UT3 weapons through UT2004 :)

TurdDrive
06-12-2009, 06:53 AM
will there eventually be necris vehicles

GreatEmerald
06-12-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm quite sure there won't, because we don't have visuals (and those necris walker legs look hard to make).

TurdDrive
06-12-2009, 08:37 AM
I'm quite sure there won't, because we don't have visuals (and those necris walker legs look hard to make).

you could take this.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=577219

GreatEmerald
06-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Yes, I'm aware of it, but as I've said, visuals are not even close. And so far I haven't found any way to export any visuals from UT3 at all... 3D Ripper doesn't work at all.

Blade Trooper
07-10-2009, 01:13 PM
It is good and all for a mutator, but here is the things you need to fix:

All those Bugs, Change Weapons as they are from UT3, and Have the Zoom Instagib done.

Thats all Im sayin

KillerSkaarj
10-15-2009, 09:53 PM
There was a method for ripping static, skeletal, and vertex meshes from UT2k4 (without the animations, unfortunately).

;5337526']Well if you can't find what you need here:
http://download.beyondunreal.com/browse.php?cat=72

You can always do the "xpawn-2-staticmesh" trick.

Just make an empty room and place an XPAWN there. In its properties change it to the mesh of your model you want under "display".
Under "skins" make it empty. Right click the pawn and save as a staticmesh.
Then delete the pawn.
In your staticmesh package that you created, find the new mesh, and place it in the room. Export the room as an OBJ under file.
Open the OBJ with an app like 3dsmax (or I use Deep Exploration first to delete the BSP and flip normals if I need to, then export as a .3ds) and edit away like normal. UVW settings should be the same, so you wont have to re-uvmap the mesh.

Couldn't you do the same thing with UT3?

Sanch3z
10-15-2009, 10:34 PM
3d Ripper DX works great with UT3. Digging around in their forums provides a wealth of information ;)

Dark Kontroll
11-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Any updates?

GreatEmerald
11-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Like I've already said, 3D Ripper DX simply won't work with my x64 installation. Although I've switched to Win7, so may try it then.
However, I'm taking a break right now since I'm moving to a new home (and getting a new PC in the process, which will probably improve things considerably *hint*UT3 performance*hint*). So expect updates only after three weeks. Looking at the bug list, it seems that most of them should be fixed easily, while the graphics will have to wait until I get things set up right...

KillerSkaarj
11-06-2009, 04:59 PM
I actually have the UT3 skeletal meshes and animations and have already ported two of the weapons to UT2k4, the Flakcannon and the BioRifle. I will probably have a few images and a video up sometime in the next few days but right now, I'll be importing and applying the meshes and animations to the weapons.

GreatEmerald
11-08-2009, 04:38 AM
Note to self: update all sounds to be dynamic.
Note to others: I'll continue working on this project after a few weeks.

KillerSkaarj
11-09-2009, 10:31 PM
And while GreatEmerald is on development Hiatus, I'll continue porting the models. I've currently uploaded two videos to Youtube of four of them (BioRifle, Flak Cannon, Shock Rifle, and Link Gun). See them on my channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Skaarjguy

Once GreatEmerald begins work on the pack again, hopefully either he or Wormbo could code the Rocket Launcher and Stinger. All the weapons I've ported thus far were the fairly easy ones, and only those two are left once I fix the last of the weapons.

And by the way, we need someone to help with porting the Static Meshes. UModel isn't designed to port UE3 static meshes and 3D Ripper DX causes UT3 to crash for me.

BTW: GreatEmerald, you might wanna change this in the first post: "2. Generally there are no new static or animating meshes yet." I've got the animating meshes, so really all we need now are the static meshes.

Wail of Suicide
11-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Nice work KillerSkaarj, those actually look pretty cool (esp. the Flak).

Did you do any optimization of the meshes or anything? I recall that the UT3 meshes were pretty high in polycount (I think the BioRifle is 30k polys?). That's pretty high for 2k4 even though I don't have that much sympathy for people who expect to run this game on 10 year old machines.

GreatEmerald
11-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Nah, the list there is for Beta 2, not Beta 3, I'll change it once I get B3 released.

KillerSkaarj
11-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Nah, the list there is for Beta 2, not Beta 3, I'll change it once I get B3 released.

Ah, ok. And Beta 3 will be released once all the weapon models and animations are done, right? Then Beta 4 could follow with the Static Meshes (hopefully).

Nice work KillerSkaarj, those actually look pretty cool (esp. the Flak).

Did you do any optimization of the meshes or anything? I recall that the UT3 meshes were pretty high in polycount (I think the BioRifle is 30k polys?). That's pretty high for 2k4 even though I don't have that much sympathy for people who expect to run this game on 10 year old machines.

Woah, where did you get 30k polys from? No, it's way less, about 11k polygons. It may be a high number compared to other meshes in UT2k4, but I've had no problems aside from the game having to pause for half a second when switching to it the first time. I think UModel dropped the polygon count when it exported the model, which could explain why the Shock Rifle mesh is slightly wonky. Anyways, thanks for the compliments!

Wait, "Mesh faces" is the same as "Polygons", right? Aaaanyways... I now have the Enforcer and Sniper Rifle done and I'm now going to finish the Redeemer. After that, the AVRiL, then my part of the job will be done. I will send it to GreatEmerald once he's ready so that he may code the RocketLauncher, Impact Hammer, and the Translocator to use their anims correctly. Also, I forgot how to assign 3rd person meshes to the weapons. I know it's the WeaponAttachment class, but I forgot how to assign said WeaponAttachment to the Weapon.

GreatEmerald
11-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Yeap, that's correct, for both the B3 question (this thread will have [B3 - Animations!] tag in the topic title) and the mesh face question (except that polys can also be quads, but UE2 can't handle quads, only triangles).
You assign it by adding a defaultproperty of AttachmentClass=class'AttachmentClass'.

KillerSkaarj
11-10-2009, 05:26 PM
So I have to manually add an AttachmentClass property? To the Weapon Class?

Also, does anyone know what these (http://img4.imageshack.us/i/mysterytextures.jpg/) three (http://img94.imageshack.us/i/whatistwpbioriflesp.jpg/) textures are supposed to do for the BioRifle? The other weapons have textures similar to those (and nearly all of them have that weird purple texture). Are they lightmaps? Bump maps? How do I use them?

EDIT: Okay, I found out the purpose of the second texture in the first image (the smaller black and white one whose window is overlapping the big purple one's window). It's used to make the BioRifle look shiny in certain places (i.e. where there's glass). That one's solved, now what about the other two?

GreatEmerald
11-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Yea, add them to override the AttachmentClass of the parent class.

The first one is a bumpmap, not supported in UE2. The second one, as you guessed, is used as a specularity map. Not sure about the third one, it's either an alpha map or a detail texture.

DougC-Icarus
11-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Is there a way I can see the third one high-res? It might be the extra details.

What you can do to these bump mapping textures is grayscaling them and overlaying the original texture, which will give the texture a bumpy appearance. Well, that method might require a program that does layers (like Photoshop, I have not tried GIMP). I know this paragraph is difficult to explain, but I did find a way.
(It is impossible without UE2 source code to support bump-mapping into UT2004, so I merged the bump map and texture together).

bECEH
11-19-2009, 06:31 AM
Nice work guys :P ! One question - when we can expect update (or at least new videos with UT3 weapons :) ) ? And after weapons whats next? :> Vehicles ? :P
Sorry for my bad english ;)

KillerSkaarj
11-19-2009, 09:05 PM
I took a little break from the weapon conversion. I've actually decided to start on the AVRiL The pack will be released once GreatEmerald is able to begin working on the pack again. The reason for this is that some weapons need code in order to animate properly. Those weapons would be the Impact Hammer (I thought it would've been a copy-paste job like the others, but nope), Stinger, and Rocket Launcher. Once they are coded and animating properly, then the pack will be released. All of the other weapons (save for the AVRiL which will be done after I post this, lol) are completed and animate wonderfully. The only thing wrong with them are the bugs listed in the first post of this thread. Oh, and of course the Shock rifle looks funky. I dunno what's going on there.

KillerSkaarj
11-26-2009, 01:58 AM
Sorry for Double Post.

What you can do to these bump mapping textures is grayscaling them and overlaying the original texture, which will give the texture a bumpy appearance. Well, that method might require a program that does layers (like Photoshop, I have not tried GIMP). I know this paragraph is difficult to explain, but I did find a way.
(It is impossible without UE2 source code to support bump-mapping into UT2004, so I merged the bump map and texture together).

I tried that, yes it's possible with GIMP, and yes, I've now decided to do that. This method causes the weapon skin to be much sharper than the normal texture. It also looks lightyears better! I'm now going to get right to work to convert all the weapon textures to be like that.

EDIT: HOLY SH*T I think I f*cked up the AVRiL. When I pick it up, I can't switch to it for some dumb reason. I was able to do it perfectly fine, but now it won't even respond. Sorry guys. I don't even know what I did differently to fusk it up like that.

EDIT2: Guys, I swear to you UE2's UScript is in a whole other universe compared to UE1. I copypasta'd a tiny function from the Shield gun into the Impact Hammer so that the IH's charge animation could play. When I selected the Hammer in game, the entire weapon reverted back to the Shield Gun (animations, sounds, mesh and all) but had the name UT3 Impact Hammer. What the hell!? I am stumped beyond all logic and reason. Should I just leave all the coding to you guys? I wanted to make a video of them, but I guess I'll just not show them so people can be more excited for the mod :D. Ill probably make one final video consisting of the Sniper Rifle and Enforcer, the only other weapons that work right.

EDIT3: Whoo! The AVRiL works again. But the skin is still messed up. It's using the UT2k4 AVRiL skin and reticule textures. The main gun has the reticule texture while aathe missle itself has the old AVRiL texture, just like the Link Gun. The Translocator is the same way. Stupid UScript...

And the ImpactHammer completely reverted back to the Shieldgun. And I mean completely. All changes to it were scrapped automatically somehow and so now I have to manually redo all the changes Great Emerald did. I'm not even going to touch UE2 UScript anymore after this. Jesus...

On a more positive note, all weapons have had their UT3 models applied (I'm STILL confused on how to change the 3rd person mesh, so I'll just leave it like that. I'm afraid to even look at UScript now) and are now awaiting evaluation (at least I think that's the word) and fixing by GreatEmerald.

bECEH
11-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Noo.. Just make video of the weapns (or atleast screenshots :P ). :D I`m so curious to see them. :) I`m waiting for new information for this mod, from a long time. :)
And again sorry for my English and greetings from Bulgaria :D

GreatEmerald
11-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Wow, that's weird. I guess something is messing with the Skin[] attribute in UScript, or calling Super() from their classes (it should all be Super(Weapon)).

Skred
11-28-2009, 05:01 AM
Nice nice work fellas. Any hope in a UC2 weapon mode afterwards? I can provide some material;)

Skred
12-04-2009, 10:44 AM
I was reading over the thread and the problems Wormbo was stating about the skeletal meshes etc etc.

I have all the ANIMATED weapons from UC2 in MD5Mesh format. Someone with 3dsMax or something like that should be able to get them into Unreal. The UC2 weapons look like "early" versions of the UT3 weapons. If you remember before UT3 was out, for a long time Malcom was seen holding the Flak Cannon from UC2. It has everything you need. You could reskin a race pistol for the Link gun.

So I have animated Unreal weapons that are within reason for UT2004 on tris etc.

email me if you want the stuff:

sith_assassin@telux.org

Skred
12-05-2009, 12:27 AM
SOme UC2 weps I haphazardly imported REALLY fast...lol. They can probably look much better with some shader work. Although the textures I have for them are smaller, like 256x256. Might can get them resized. These are the first person meshes with bones, but not anims. Proabably can make most of it work with these. I have more weps but here is RipJack and RL and Sniper and Flak.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/48/uc2weppreview.jpg (http://img187.imageshack.us/i/uc2weppreview.jpg/)

EDIT:

Succesfully animated a simple fire animation for the UC2 Sniper Rifle Model and have a UT2004 .ukx package started.:) Most of the other animations will be much harder to do. I plan on taking it one weapon at a time and getting as many as I can fully animated. So for now i'll be sticking with the Sniper Rifle model. Then I'll probably move on the the Enforcers and Nahkti Scorpions I am going to reskin the Scorpions and make it more chrome looking, rather than gold, and turn the teal color to a more Link Gun green.

I am aware that the UT3 model can be experted but I know those things are just too much for UE2. Whereas these may work and they look semi-close to the UT3 stuff, just lower poly. UC2 is supposedly after UT3 in the timeline so...yeah we can justify using these models on both a technical level and from the standpoint of the Unreal universe.

So LMK if this is a good idea for the UT3 mutator or w/e you plan. I also plan to animate these for future use if someone decides to come along and code soem UC2 weapons or if that UC2 mod team will drop some code on em.

Big hopes and I'm willing to get to animating to get something going on both ends (UT3 and UC2) for UT2004. So I'll report in once I have the Sniper fully animated properly.:)

Let me make it clear, I have the FIRST PERSON models. Not the 3rdperson or static models. The sniper rifle and possibly the shock can be used statically, but for the rest of them I'll have to do some low poly version somehow. Unless there is some nifty programer option for weapon pickups and 3rd person display:)

[FC]Dia-Bllo
12-12-2009, 04:10 PM
I am so waiting to add these on my invasion server and replace FHI weapons we got.

bECEH
12-26-2009, 04:01 AM
Dead ? :confused:

GreatEmerald
12-27-2009, 05:41 AM
Nope, I'm still waiting for guys over at Sapphire to fix my defect graphics card they sent me, and they say the testing will be over by January 21. No clue how long it will take to actually repair it, too, but it's moving, and once I get it back, I can work on this project again.

DougC-Icarus
12-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Nope, I'm still waiting for guys over at Sapphire to fix my defect graphics card they sent me, and they say the testing will be over by January 21. No clue how long it will take to actually repair it, too, but it's moving, and once I get it back, I can work on this project again.

Ouch! Oh well...good luck!

The UC2 weapons look pleasing for the UT3 weapons.

KillerSkaarj
01-21-2010, 03:09 AM
So GreatEmerald got his PC back (I honestly expected for that to happen mid-February, but oh well), and right now we're experiencing technical difficulty, 97% in part to my overwhelming incompetence with Unreal Editor 3. Hopefully we'll have these issues solved sometime in the near future (if I can get anything to work...).

gogogogo

Skred
01-21-2010, 08:21 AM
So have you guys ironed out what your going to do about weapon models?

Maybe I can do some re-colored/ re painted skins from the exisiting one's or soemthing for you guys to use if you don't have models.

LMK

GreatEmerald
01-21-2010, 10:14 AM
I don't have the UCs (or, rather, .patch file) from him yet so I can't really say much right now.

KillerSkaarj
01-21-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm tryin' ok? D:

Anyway, I sent you the file link.

GreatEmerald
01-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Your effort is appreciated :)

Skred
01-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Okay.... so I take it you snagged some models?:D

GreatEmerald
01-21-2010, 05:34 PM
UT3 weapon animations right now. And Static Meshes derived from them.

Skred
01-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Nice!

Ya have textures yet? I can build shaders or w/e for the weapons if ya need me to:)

KillerSkaarj
01-23-2010, 07:47 PM
We already have all textures, anims, and models.

I uploaded some videos on my channel showing off some of the weapon models in action.

Crusha K. Rool
01-24-2010, 12:40 AM
Heya, I really like your project and wanted to do something similar in the EONS project of Wail, but you seem to do pretty fine already, so it's probably easier to continue here.

Are these things also supposed to be used directly in the maps instead of using mutators?

Well, did you already do the Pickups?
I mean those, that are not in such a form in UT2004 yet.

Few weeks ago I wrote Wail some ideas about it and most of it should be pretty easy, I don't know how far he's already with that, but maybe you can use the ideas too.
Especially since you seem to be able to export Animations and SkeletalMeshes out of UT3…

-Shaped Charge: Should be easy, just a projectile that is pretty heavy and will go fast to the ground infront of the player, where it will cause an explosion with the DamageType of a Redeemer.
Barricades and ramps that remove themselves when being hit by a Redeemer-DamageType should not be missing, that should be pretty simple to do.

-Invisibility-Pickup: Already exists in the 2k4-Suspense map.

-Berserk-Pickup: Same code as Invisibility, just Berzerk instead.

-Invulnerability-Pickup: Pawn.Controller.bGodMode

-Jumpboots: There is already a working piece of code, it has just one bug, but Wail wanted to fix that one. The mesh for the boots comes natively with UT2004. :)

-Deployable Linkbeams: A "foreach" looks each second (or Tick) for a DynamicActor around it. If it's a friendly Pawn and that Pawn is a Vehicle or ONSPowerNode, then it should get Health added and the BeamEmitters (multiple Linkgun beams) should get that vehicle as a destination.
I don't know anymore, does this thing damage close enemies?

-EMP-Mine: Wail has already the matching code in his EMP-Deployer, it just needs an optical overhaul to be a real mine that is layed. And some more sparks and stuff when it disables a vehicle.

-Spidermine-Trap: Can be thrown like Shaped Charge and will spawn Spiders until it reaches a certain "count". Maybe the Spiders should be smaller and fast than usual ones?

-Deployable Shield: Let the thrown thing spawn a shield with the specifications of the Paladin's shield, just with another shape.
The Actor-class has the nice variable bBlockProjectiles, that was especially made for the Paladin's shield.

-Slowfield: Maybe it was just something like a "gimmick" in UT3, but nonetheless it's worth porting it. The thrown thing (I don't want to say "projectile") needs to spawn a volume ingame, I don't know if that's possible.
Everything that enters the volume (except hitscans, which will be blocked), is slowed down by using the Touch-function (I guess there must be a variable for each projectile that tells it how fast it moves).
The specific values are described here (http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Deployables#Stasis_Field).

-The Nightshade is maybe not even necessary, for testing or in general could it be easier to modify an existing Hellbender so that it will become a Stealthbender (remove that turret, but some Necris-stuff there and add an animated "hook" or something like that). That hook has an own bone and on it's end should the deployables be spawned.
There's no need for the distortion-effect, the normal cloaking will do it, as long as you make sure that the bots won't notice the vehicle before it lost more than half of it's health, were it starts to smoke.

I really hope you can do that, this would help me and all ONS-mappers a lot.

EDIT: And don't you think that the Goliath should react a bit faster when it should start driving backwards? No slow-down phase, it should gain speed in the opposite direction almost immediately.

And will you do some more things with the vehicles' visuals? New textures, or even new meshes? At least the SPMA would need something to indicate that it's deployed. But really great job how you did that with the trajectory of the SPMA's projectile, I am really curious how you got that line there and about the mathematical stuff behind it. :)

GreatEmerald
01-24-2010, 04:13 AM
Yes, you can use them in maps directly as well, however, then the server has to have the mutator pack installed.

I have Bio Rifle and Flak Cannon static meshes, and I guess I can get more. KillerSkaarj, how exactly did you get them?

About deployables - right now I'm not going for them, the next release will be with updated animations and sounds, but once I get (hopefully working) vehicle animations for nightshade and stealthbender, I may add them. The thing is that if I was to add them now, it would be a kind of "dead code", nobody could use them since no maps have their spawn points. Unless, of course, I make them like relics - spawning in random NavigationPoints.

Goliath - yeap, I tried to emulate the accelleration, but I couldn't find any real good value that wouldn't speed the whole vehicle up. UT2004 physics are just too realistic, I guess :D

About the visuals - yeap, I guess I could update those if I get the meshes for them, but not sure right now.
And SPMA was Wormbo's creation, I couldn't have coded something as complex :)

EDIT: Working on weapon meshes, and this is what our Longbow looks like:
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4729/shot00130g.th.jpg (http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4729/shot00130g.jpg) http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4057/shot00129w.th.jpg (http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4057/shot00129w.jpg)

Mochitsuki
01-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Excellent work there, GreatEmerald! Just like always :)

GreatEmerald
01-24-2010, 08:21 AM
The BioRifle:
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4738/shot00136ku.th.jpg (http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4738/shot00136ku.jpg) http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/382/shot00135p.th.jpg (http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/382/shot00135p.jpg)
Note: no blob at the end of the charged BioRifle since it should either be prerendered (which is not) or 3D drawn, which would be very hard to achieve right now.

Thanks to KillerSkaarj for the sludge texture and, of course, porting the animations :)

Mochitsuki
01-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks to KillerSkaarj for the sludge texture and, of course, porting the animations :)

Oh... and I mean you two are awesome! ;)

wildman
01-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Oh yes yes nice work indeed. Can't wait for the next release to try out these baby's. Well done GreatEmerald and all the others that are working on this.

Mochitsuki
01-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I'm in dire need to have these models in UT2004 because my PC can't tolerate UT3. Right now I'm thinking about possibilities to put UT3 player models into UT2004. Sadly, I don't have any of those skills involving porting models :p

Skred
01-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Yes, you can use them in maps directly as well, however, then the server has to have the mutator pack installed.

I have Bio Rifle and Flak Cannon static meshes, and I guess I can get more. KillerSkaarj, how exactly did you get them?

About deployables - right now I'm not going for them, the next release will be with updated animations and sounds, but once I get (hopefully working) vehicle animations for nightshade and stealthbender, I may add them. The thing is that if I was to add them now, it would be a kind of "dead code", nobody could use them since no maps have their spawn points. Unless, of course, I make them like relics - spawning in random NavigationPoints.

Goliath - yeap, I tried to emulate the accelleration, but I couldn't find any real good value that wouldn't speed the whole vehicle up. UT2004 physics are just too realistic, I guess :D

About the visuals - yeap, I guess I could update those if I get the meshes for them, but not sure right now.

EDIT: Working on weapon meshes, and this is what our Longbow looks like:
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4729/shot00130g.th.jpg (http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4729/shot00130g.jpg) http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4057/shot00129w.th.jpg (http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4057/shot00129w.jpg)

Well I could another VDM map and put yor stuff in there:) I'd like to do a Necris themed one. any way of extracting the UT3 textures easily?

Crusha K. Rool
01-24-2010, 11:13 AM

What is done by the mutators? I thought they would only replace the UT2004 weapons with UT3 ones. What's the problem with just setting a different vehicle class in an existing ONSVehicleFactory or another weapon class in a pickupbase?
I would consider this project to be actually more about creating the resources that can be used by mappers, the use in old maps by replacing the old stuff is just a fine gimmick.

The servers for which I plan to make maps with these things won't run any non-whitelisted mutators, but even when I use this as map-mutators (we don't want the vehicles and weapons in every map, only in a few chosen ones) the server will end up to have the mutators added to the real server-mutator list as long as that map is being played. And that would remove him from the Standard Servers list, what is really not our goal.

The deployables: I wouldn't consider them dead code, at least not from the perspective of mapper's resource. ;)

Goliath, well, it will be fine, I guess. But it should really get a mesh that is close to the UT3 one, as the current Goliath's tread is more "linear", what doesn't really look like a realistic tank. And you should try to get it's antenna, which is a clever BeamEmitter actually.

And yeah, Wormbo is just great, I learned almost everything I know about UScript from him. :D

Currently I am using Wail's EONS vehicles, which have nicer textures, although they use default meshes, but if you get everything to work fine, then I'd like to use your stuff instead. Sorry Wail. :(

GreatEmerald
01-24-2010, 12:11 PM
What is done by the mutators? I thought they would only replace the UT2004 weapons with UT3 ones. What's the problem with just setting a different vehicle class in an existing ONSVehicleFactory or another weapon class in a pickupbase?
I would consider this project to be actually more about creating the resources that can be used by mappers, the use in old maps by replacing the old stuff is just a fine gimmick.

Currently I am using Wail's EONS vehicles, which have nicer textures, although they use default meshes, but if you get everything to work fine, then I'd like to use your stuff instead. Sorry Wail. :(

The server wouldn't need the mutators per se, I meant that the server would need to have the UT3Style.u package installed for the map with new weapons to be playable (otherwise where would one find all the code of weapons and such).

I see that KillerSkaarj also extracted Manta and Scorpion, so I'm sure I can make Manta look the same as in UT3, and not sure about the scorpion yet.
The difference between my and Wail's goals is that I want to achieve historical correctness, all the things ported 1:1 and without any additional effects added.

EDIT: BioRifle's third person perspective. KillerSkaarj didn't include any 3rd person meshes, but they are totally unnecessary, as you can see:
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4444/shot00138.th.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4444/shot00138.jpg) http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2536/shot00137x.th.jpg (http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2536/shot00137x.jpg)

Crusha K. Rool
01-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Is that thing really that big?

I never saw myself in third person in UT3, don't know if it's even possible.

And yeah, I didn't expect the weapons and vehicles to be working without any code. ;)
Just the "mutator" was confusing me.
The player wouldn't have the Impact Hammer and the new Assault Rifle by default then, but that's not bad. I never used the EMP-mode of the Impact Hammer in UT3, don't even know how effective it is and the Shieldgun is much more useful.

GreatEmerald
01-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Compared to other UT2004 weapons, it's small :) I was going to make it 10% bigger, but this looks just perfect, considering that it has bHeavy=True. Of course, if more of you think that it's too big, it can be made smaller :)

And the EMP mode in UT3 is quite awesome, really. Fully charged EMP = Manta instakill. That shows those mantas what their "pancakes" taste like ;)

Rukifellth
01-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Is that thing really that big?

I never saw myself in third person in UT3, don't know if it's even possible.

Unfortunetly, yes... makes you really question the logic in UT3. The weapons gets bigger and BIGGER, but they are almost no different from their earlier models. What the heck is the big deal with the guys that built them?

They even look dangerous to hold! Hold it wrong and you risk having your hand cut off. XD

Now compare this to the weapons in Unreal1, UT99 and UT2004. WOW what a difference. XD

Still I loved the look of the Flak Cannon and Rocket Launcher. :)
But I wish the next UT will have a visual style that goes back to the Unreal 1 and UT99 Feel. T_T

But if the characters are being ported. BOOYA, I'd love to see Ronin, Kralls and some of the Necris in UT2004. :D

Crusha K. Rool
01-24-2010, 03:00 PM
I guess character portation is not necessary. Who would want to play that? You need to download necessary stuff that nobody on the server, except you and those who might have downloaded it too, would see.

Btw I got the permission to turn the Bloody Hell-mutator by Runestorm into a map-mutator, so you probably don't need to care about nicer blood. :D

Rukifellth
01-24-2010, 03:29 PM
But people managed to Convert things from UC2 to UT2004, so why not see some UT3 chars in UT2004?

DougC-Icarus
01-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Nice to see UT3 style still on the active work...

Oh, somebody did get Reaper in UT3, but did not release it...yet. In addition, somebody have to cut down the poly significantly. :P

GreatEmerald
01-24-2010, 04:29 PM
I guess character portation is not necessary. Who would want to play that? You need to download necessary stuff that nobody on the server, except you and those who might have downloaded it too, would see.

Unless you add it to serverpackages? But that would be too much of a d-move :)
Though they do need to be ported. Not everyone plays only online, you know ;)

Mochitsuki
01-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Not everyone plays only online, you know ;)

100% agree! I'm an offline-player all the time :)
Of course I love to see UT3 models in UT2004 for at least, Instant Action pleasures :D

Disembodied
01-24-2010, 11:12 PM
^ Ditto, whoever ports the Krall is awesome. :D

KillerSkaarj
01-25-2010, 12:59 AM

I used the good ol' XPawn trick. I place an Xpawn into an empty map, give it the Flakcannon's 3rd person mesh (and delete the Xpawn's skin from Display->Skins), then right click it and select "Convert to Static Mesh." Unfortunately, this method didn't work with the other weapon models. Probably because they're too complex, even as 3rd person meshes.

Regardless, it's good to see that we're making progress. The Longbow AVRiL looks great!

P.S.: How did you get the biorifle to show up in 3rd person view...?

P.P.S.: I tried to get the rocket launcher alt-fire to work by myself, but I fail at Uscript. So if you see any funky looking code in the RL's altfire, that was me >.> <.<

GreatEmerald
01-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Hmm, I wonder if it would be possible to convert not the actual mesh, but a LOD of it to a static mesh... But anyway, you can create static meshes out of animations, just remove bones and save as ASE, provided that you actually opened it in a 3rd party editing tool. You could try and see if that works :)

Making the 3rd person view is easy - create an Attachment class (UT3BioAttachment), set its mesh to the 1st person mesh, set RelativeRotation.Pitch to be 1024*64/2 and then set RelativeLocation to the right place. This part used to be very difficult because it's trial and error, however, that was before I realised I could input commands like set UT3Style.UT3BioAttachment RelativeLocation (X=100,Y=-40,Z=-50) - that takes effect immediately so it's very easy to get the right location and then copy it to the code. Though often times I forget to do that and have to start over :D

Similar situation is with positioning weapons in the 1st person view. The strange thing is that Weapon.PlayerViewOffset has no effect on the weapon display whatsoever, although it works with my U2Weapons pack, go figure :\ So I have to use Weapon.PlayerViewPivot instead, where Pitch makes the weapon go up, Yaw makes it go to the right and Roll rolls it (so that one's completely useless); then Weapon.DrawScale scales it.

So yea, right now I only need StaticMeshes and then once I integrate them, I'll be able to release the new version, probably RC1 now.

Crusha K. Rool
01-25-2010, 09:39 AM
I have no clue if you mentioned it already as I have never created a weaponmodel or animation yet, but did you mind that the pickup's pivot needs to be in the center, while the animated mesh's pivot needs to be at the trigger?

GreatEmerald
01-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Pickup.PrePivot(X,Y,Z) ;)
EDIT: Used the XPawn trick to get the AVRiL into a static mesh, and it worked. Not sure why it didn't for you.

Unreal4Eva
01-25-2010, 09:06 PM
This should be interesting. I like all the effort you guys are putting into this thing. I have a great idea: How about including an UT3 Hud? It will feel a lot more like UT3. Also, have anyone thought about how to make the Redeemer in UT2k4 to look like the one in UT3?

GreatEmerald
01-25-2010, 11:39 PM
The HUD, at least the player icon, will eventually be there (since otherwise you won't be able to tell if you have a ShieldBelt or not).
I have the Redeemer anims, so it will be in this release, yes.

Mochitsuki
01-26-2010, 08:24 AM
What about weapons HUD? I mean weapons selection HUD at the bottom of the screen like in UT3, will they be included too?

p/s: I love how they look in UT3 :p

GreatEmerald
01-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Not sure, at least that's not a priority right now. I've heard quite a lot of criticism about the UT3 HUD, too... And coding a list like that may be somewhat difficult.

Mochitsuki
01-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Yeah, you're right. UT3 weapons are the top priority right now. After all, UT2004 HUD not so bad as some people complaint about it :)

GreatEmerald
01-26-2010, 10:38 AM
AVRiL third person mesh:
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8077/shot00141.th.jpg (http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8077/shot00141.jpg) http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5651/shot00140.th.jpg (http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5651/shot00140.jpg) http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1780/shot00139g.th.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1780/shot00139g.jpg)

However, it got some "poly optimisation" on it, so the right hand side looks pretty funky right now. KillerSkaarj, can you get the actual 3rd person skeletalmesh of AVRiL for me? And possibly others?

EDIT: Also, disregard the shadow glitch in the picture, that's what happens when you Alt Tab when in paused/playersonly state :)

Crusha K. Rool
01-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Nice. :)

I hope you will also convert the turrets as pure mapper ressources as it would be hard to replace the single laser-turret correctly with either laser-, rocket- or shock-turret. And don't forget about the Eradicator, which could probably use the same code as Wormbo's SPMA, just with another mesh and without the ability to undeploy it.

But even more interesting is, that the turrets are movable. I already made my thoughts about how one could realize that, but I lack the knowledge of UScript vector maths.
You would basically need to create a subclass of NavigationPoint (maybe even a subclass of PathNode). That class would be placed by the mapper in a pretty straight line or curve and not further away from each other than a normal PathNode-distance. Let's call it MarkingSpot for now.
The concept is, that when the player is in a turret and press the Forward- or Backward-key, then the turret will check the it's current rotation (i. e. the player's direction of view). Consider that we are talking about twodimensions only, I don't know if the turret in UT3 has actually any situation where it moves along a slope.
You have to imagine that the space around the turret, in which a foreach RadiusActors (or CollideActors, if the MarkingSpot-class has bCollideActors = True) will try to find the closest MarkingSpot, is divided by a line that goes perpendicular to the turret's rotation. If the player press Forward, then the turret will move to the location of the closest MarkingSpot that is infront of that dividing line, meaning in the direction where the player is looking. If he press Backward, then it will move to the closest MarkingSpot that is behind the turret.
In order to prevent you from always having the spot that you are currently at to be chosen as the closest one, you could set a minimum distance that the next spot needs to be away. Just 1-2 units.

Some more properties for this actor-combination could be:
MarkingSpot: bool bAttackPosition - this will tell the bots that it's a good idea to move to this particular spot with the turret because it's from where they are supposed to attack or defend.

Turret: name DefaultPosition - enter the name of the spot to which this turret should automatically drive back (following the MarkingSpots as if a player would be inside) when it's left for a certain time.
float ReturnTime - wait this long without having an UnrealPawn of your team close to you before returning to the DefaultPosition.

The different kinds of turrets would be subclasses of this. Maybe many AI-code can be taken from the ManualGunPawn (or it's controller, dunno).

Something about the current vehicles and weapons:
-AI seems to be too exactly with the Scorpion's turret yet. I played against a masterful team of bots and the bot in the Scorpion was the one who killed me most often. He never missed and that with a ballistic weapon! It feels a bit too strong too, or at least fires too fast. 1-2 shots and you are dead on foot before even knowing what's going on. I could survive three shots of the tank in a row by dodging, that seems good to me. But you should tweak the Scorpion's BotskillModifier to maybe require it to be on godlike in order to have godlike aim. ;)
-I am not sure, but can the Manta jump on water? The UT3 one can't do, unless the water is only as deep as a player is tall, I guess.

GreatEmerald
01-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Hmm, interesting concept about moving turrets, though I guess the tricky part would be to actually make them move (all turrets are static right now, so it would need to be altered to be able to move - well, at least ASTurrets are a subclass of Vehicle).

About the scorpion - yeap, need to set ONSWeapon.AIInfo(0).aimerror to something *more* than 0 ;)
The Manta can't jump on water, and it emits dust as long as you hold the altfire button until the effects wears off, so that's pretty much identical to what you have in UT3.

Crusha K. Rool
01-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I forgot to mention that the MarkingSpots should only be the direction toward the turret should move, it shouldn't move completely to a spot just by tapping the Forward-key once. ;)

And the name DefaultPosition would probably work even better with a
var() edfindable MarkingSpot <variable name>;
The mapper can enter the spot then by just clicking on it. :D

Using code from ASTurrets could be fine, but one should also take a look on a normal ONSManualGunPawn in order to see how it's properties are for AI and for being disabled when the close PowerNode gets destroyed. Normal vehicles would just blow up while a function in ONSPowerCore checks for all close ManualGunPawns and disables them instead. So it probably really needs to be a subclass of a normal ManualGun, but it shouldn't be hard to set bStatic to False, should it?
The ManualGun already reacts on pressing Forward, but I think it uses this for zooming, doesn't it? bStatic = False and changing the coordinates when pressing a key should be something possible to do. It's not like Turrets would need to be Karma objects, SpaceFighters aren't too.

Scorpion: Cheating bots! :mad:
Manta: My mistake.

EDIT: And I probably need to publish a newer version of my UltimateONSTools earlier than I thought. Found a bug that ruined my own concept in a map of mine, so that needs to be fixed. :)
I also noticed, that your mutator probably changes only 2k4-vehiclefactories to such with UT3-vehicles. It didn't change my custom factory, which stores several VehicleClasses in an array, not in the normal VehicleClass-field. That way I got 2k4-Bender and UT3-Bender accidentally in one map. O_o

GreatEmerald
01-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Well, I'm not very familiar with moving things... And no, it's a lot more complicated than just changing bStatic, what about replication and all other things like that?..

Hmm, I wonder if CheckReplacement() works on vehicles. I guess it would, but then again, I think that factories need to keep track of their vehicles. So I can't really support other factories, unless in a hackish IsA() way.

Skred
01-26-2010, 06:41 PM
UT3 hud TOTALLY not needed. WEAPONS make it a cool thing.

GO EMERALD, GO EMERALD!:) It's cha birthday

KillerSkaarj
01-26-2010, 07:10 PM
About the Static meshes, I ordered a new video card and it's on its way. Once I get that, and once I get a stronger PSU, I'll try using 3D Ripper again.

And I didn't try converting all of the meshes. I just tried a few of the weapons and when they didn't convert, I didn't bother with the rest.

Oh, and do you want me to send you the 3rd person meshes?

GreatEmerald
01-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Yeap, I do, since 1st person meshes don't seem to be optimised for 3rd person view (the "invisible" half doesn't have all polygons, so it looks as if someone forgot to make the weapon identical from both sides). And it might have lower poly rate, which is always good for converting to Static Meshes.

EDIT: It also seems that the only 1st person meshes without cut polys are Biorifle, Redeemer, Enforcer, Sniper and Translocator, although the last one doesn't have any animations whatsoever. Maybe the actual animations are in another package?

EDIT2: The Enforcer graphics are mostly done:
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6088/shot00145w.th.jpg (http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6088/shot00145w.jpg) http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3232/shot00144.th.jpg (http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3232/shot00144.jpg) http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8285/shot00143.th.jpg (http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8285/shot00143.jpg) http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/9305/shot00142o.th.jpg (http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/9305/shot00142o.jpg)

I'll have to work a little more on the muzzle flash and implement tracers, but right now I also managed to make it show the reload animation each time you start the game/switch to Enforcer (if the Impact Hammer has a higher priority), so that's exactly how it works in UT3. Also, you don't see it in the screenshots, but it has really awesome looking specular shading, the same as in UT3.

Crusha K. Rool
01-27-2010, 07:49 AM
Really good job, we count on you!

And yes, I bump this because it doesn't get by your edits. ;)

Rukifellth
01-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Hahaha, the Next-Gen UT99 weapon returns. :D

I love how the Enforcers turned out. :)

KillerSkaarj
01-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Do the Enforcers do the three-burst shot now? I ask because the enforcers are turned on their side, and since I gave the enforcers that animation as a placeholder for the alt-fire, I want to know if you're using the alt-fire or they're like that because you're close to an enemy. Regardless, they look very nice! Way better than I could have ever done.

And I coulda sworn I imported the animations for the translocator... Also, expect a PM for the DL link to the 3rd person meshes

DougC-Icarus
01-27-2010, 10:35 PM
The under-rated Enforcer makes way for UT2004!

Skred
01-28-2010, 03:14 AM
NICE.

Can you make each weapon like a placeable for maps that's myLevel'd? Or is that WAY too much to ask?:)

wildman
01-28-2010, 06:28 AM
Looking good any chance for a release date???? for testing???

GreatEmerald
01-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Do the Enforcers do the three-burst shot now? I ask because the enforcers are turned on their side, and since I gave the enforcers that animation as a placeholder for the alt-fire, I want to know if you're using the alt-fire or they're like that because you're close to an enemy. Regardless, they look very nice! Way better than I could have ever done.
No, it uses your altfire "hack". I'll add proper three burst support sometime later, maybe today. Depends on when I'll finish adding the tracer and fixing the muzzle flash for the Enforcers.

NICE.

Can you make each weapon like a placeable for maps that's myLevel'd? Or is that WAY too much to ask?:)
Way too much, you can include the whole mutator with your map if you wish to use the weapons :P

Looking good any chance for a release date???? for testing???
Two weeks (http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Unreal_Tournament_2003#History) :p

Crusha K. Rool
01-28-2010, 10:31 AM
I see no use in a myLevel-version too at this point, except for Beta-testing with meshes.

It's definitely better to wait for a final release of at least the weapons-stuff, so that all meshes and all code and all textures can come bundled in their own three packages.

That will save users a lot of download if mappers intend to use that stuff in more than one map. ;)

GreatEmerald
01-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Created a tracer:
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4903/shot00146.th.jpg (http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4903/shot00146.jpg)

Will make it orange later. And still need to make the muzzle flash look right...

Crusha K. Rool
01-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Tracer for the Snipers, I hope.
Can't remember that the Enforcer had Tracers, but it looks like this on the picture.

GreatEmerald
01-28-2010, 02:34 PM
They have, similar to the sniper, just shorter life time.

Skred
01-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Hey I was thinking maybe I should try to get the UC2 Enforcers animated into UT2004. I was thinking they could and should probably just use your same code for the UT3 version.

I am aware of some technique where if your skeletal animated mesh is boned, you can basiically "lift" existing UT2004 animations. So with that in mind, maybe I could just get the material applies etc and get it set up right ....or just send you the .3ds file, and textures or w/e.

Whatcha think?

GreatEmerald
01-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Not in this project - this is UT3Style (codename POWERWHEEL ;) ), not UC2Style. That will be its own separate pack for faster downloads and those who like only one type of weapons.

Skred
01-29-2010, 02:56 AM
Oh I know, I was just thinking that the Enforcers are the one weapon that the UC2 version would still probably want to use the same code as UT3 is all. I guess that can be done at any time though:)

I gotta start getting these UC2 weapons set up.

Crusha K. Rool
01-29-2010, 05:20 AM
How did you actually create the HUD-message with the picture for the Scorpions self-destruct?

I'd like to do something similar (with a plain text-message that updates itself), but maybe on another place on the screen.

Is it possible to do such a thing easily without using a mutator?
To become more specific: I want to show a text-message below the RadarMap that updates over the whole game (shall be a score for something).
It would of course need to match different resolutions somehow.

GreatEmerald
01-29-2010, 08:26 AM
How did you actually create the HUD-message with the picture for the Scorpions self-destruct?

I'd like to do something similar (with a plain text-message that updates itself), but maybe on another place on the screen.

Is it possible to do such a thing easily without using a mutator?
To become more specific: I want to show a text-message below the RadarMap that updates over the whole game (shall be a score for something).
It would of course need to match different resolutions somehow.

You kidding, without a mutator? In UE2, you can not change *anything* without using at least a mutator! Well, except for skins IIRC.

That code there is pretty sophisticated and created by Wormbo, but if you only want text, then I can help - I implemented that into my Unreal II weapons mutator (project FLASHBANG ;) ), the Hydra Grenade Launcher. Basically you need to mess with canvas, create mutator with RenderOverlays() function and use Canvas options to change the settings to your font and colour, then do Canvas.DrawScreenText(text, ScreenPercentageX, ScreenPercentageY, Alignment) and it will autoalign the text to where you want it to be.

Crusha K. Rool
01-29-2010, 12:11 PM
No thanks, I only work without mutators for now because my whole project shall work without removing the server from the Standard Server-list.

And not changing anything, well that's not right.
You can use a normal actor that is placed in a map and use the functions that are called by the engine. PostBeginPlay & Co, the Reset-function, the Tick… all of them can do things.

The only things you can't do are operations that need to replace something with another thing and some more complicated things.
But it would be no problem to change a server's settings for SwapTeamsAfterReset or UseRandomLinksetupAfterReset right in a map without using a mutator.
(Although I am not sure whether those settings are not somehow saved for the server, what might not be in the interest of an admin)

I already created a Countdown that can be displayed on the screen and updates (it actually updates really fast if I wouldn't have slowed it down).
I am only worried that the score could lay itself right over the Countdown. Probably the best way is to tell the mapper that he shouldn't broadcast both things at once, or he set the Countdown to be displayed as xDeathmessage in the chat-field. That would make the mini-chat pretty unusable during the CountdownTime, but at least it wouldn't spam the big F2-chat.

However, someone requested already that I integrate the Orb in my UltimateONSTools. Wanna team up on that one later? I don't plan to put it into the next version and the version after that can still wait.

The Orb / Hoverboard would also require some adjustments to be compatible with each other to be historically correct. That's something that should be included in any case.
I wonder if Wail would want to participate too, he got the Hoverboard pretty good already and wanted to keep working on it. A co-production would give us the best results.

Rukifellth
01-29-2010, 12:54 PM
However, someone requested already that I integrate the Orb in my UltimateONSTools. Wanna team up on that one later? I don't plan to put it into the next version and the version after that can still wait.

Bishop: "I got 'thee' orb!"

Speaking of UT3 orbs always reminds me of Bishop's weird way of saying it. He says it as if it was the Holy Grail. :S

Oh well, he is rather religious. :P

Skred
01-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Orb and Hoverboard are a must have in ONS after playing Ut3. It just feels stupid w/o it now:)

my 2 cents!

GreatEmerald
01-29-2010, 02:04 PM
You can use a normal actor that is placed in a map and use the functions that are called by the engine. PostBeginPlay & Co, the Reset-function, the Tick… all of them can do things.

Arrrgh!! I can not listen to such enormous hax!!! Players who have "standard servers only" selected - guess what - want Standard Servers Only! If you create such hack, you make their preference useless, and adding things to myLevel is of similar hackish nature. myLevel was, is, and will never be a place to add something that is to be reused, in any intent or purpose, on other levels, even if there will be only 1 or 2 such levels. myLevel increases the map size, myLevel can't be used on other maps directly, myLevel increases server bandwidth, myLevel causes people with slow connections lose it and never be able to get on the server since the package is too large to download. myLevel can not even be downloaded from the web manually without installing the level into the global level list!

Needless to say, I don't tolerate hacks of that size. I also detest small hacks like those in Onslaught.ONSAVRiL, actually. If you are creating a mod, please be fair and don't use crappy hacks that let you gain something, for a price of a lot of other features that they break.

POWERWHEEL progress: added the Enforcer "loading" sound, synced with the animation, made the tracer more realistic. Working on the muzzle flash, it almost works, but doesn't stick to the weapon for some reason.

KillerSkaarj
01-29-2010, 03:15 PM
For what purpose does giving the mod the codename POWERWHEEL serve? Regardless, it looks like the Enforcer is beginning to take on its true UT3 form. I would help, but I can't code even if my life depended on it. The only piece of code I wrote that worked was the code to make the BioRifle play the "Idle while fully charged" animation. And I don't even know how I did it.

And just wait until you see the Rocket Launcher code. The horrible, non-functioning code you'll see sitting in the Altfire function would probably give any decent coder seizures.

GreatEmerald
01-29-2010, 04:06 PM
For what purpose does giving the mod the codename POWERWHEEL serve? Regardless, it looks like the Enforcer is beginning to take on its true UT3 form.

It's for my Launcher batch file, I use it to launch all the programs and folders I need to start coding right away (so I wouldn't have to spend time navigating through folders and running programs every time I try to code). And since batch files only accept names without spaces, I had to give it a codename. Besides, it just sounds good and is shorter than the full official name :) It's like saying "Deneb" instead of "AMD Phenom II X4".

And yeap, it is starting to look like the one from UT3. I got the 3rd person MuzzleFlash working, still need to figure out the 1st person, and discovered a very interesting UnrealEd function I have never noticed before:
http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/AnimBrowserReference.html#Attach
This will further cut down the time needed for testing the attachments, since I can see and change everything in real time this way, without messing with the slow console.
And I'm planning to add correct Akimbo support as well as three burst fire into the Enforcer in the nearest future.

Crusha K. Rool
01-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Arrrgh!! I can not listen to such enormous hax!!! Players who have "standard servers only" selected - guess what - want Standard Servers Only!

Ok, that example was extreme. But imagine you want to make an underwater-map. You somehow need to set the Pawn's Underwatertime to a ridiculous high value, but a mutator would be probably too much (although that is probably a thing that can't be done without).

The problem with "Standard Servers only" is, that it's in some cases not what the players actually want, many don't even see that tiny button down there or know what it does. But if a map-mutator is not whitelisted, then the whole server is not at that moment, what might lead to the problem that new players won't see the server. And such a simple hack that is required to realise the concept of a map is in my opinion not a big bad hack that should punish the server for hosting a creative map.

And did I say something about code in myLevel? I actually talked about making a tool-package for mappers. ;)
The EONS-Vehicles are all in myLevel currently, because they are still somewhat beta and because nobody ever released a whole package. I also don't like that, but a package is something that should be considered final.

GreatEmerald
01-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Ok, that example was extreme. But imagine you want to make an underwater-map. You somehow need to set the Pawn's Underwatertime to a ridiculous high value, but a mutator would be probably too much (although that is probably a thing that can't be done without).

The problem with "Standard Servers only" is, that it's in some cases not what the players actually want, many don't even see that tiny button down there or know what it does. But if a map-mutator is not whitelisted, then the whole server is not at that moment, what might lead to the problem that new players won't see the server. And such a simple hack that is required to realise the concept of a map is in my opinion not a big bad hack that should punish the server for hosting a creative map.
Mutators are never too much. But in that case you'd simply need to either create a new type of WaterVolume and add it to a code package or add a PhysicsVolume instead of a WaterVolume.

Well, if people don't see the button there, then chances are that they miss around 20% of the game, including configuration menus and the like. The only hack that is not cheating would be something that spawns the GUI2K4.UT2K4TryAMod (http://ericdives.com/UT2004-UnCodex/Source_gui2k4/ut2k4tryamod.html) window. I'm not sure if it's spawned in the stock game, however, but it would be logical if it was. I can't find any evidence, though.

Crusha K. Rool
01-30-2010, 06:01 AM
Epic just needed to disable "Show Standard Servers only" by default, then everyone would be happy.

But enough with that, we are still looking forward to your weapons. :D

Mochitsuki
01-30-2010, 06:19 AM
But enough with that, we are still looking forward to your weapons. :D
I agree. Can't wait to score some frags with GreatEmerald's UT3 babies :D

Rukifellth
01-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Same here, UT2004 lives on thanks to the colorfullness and the goofy characters UT3 lacks. (Loque's horrid design in UT3. >_>)

GreatEmerald
01-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Still working on the 1st person Muzzle Flash for Enforcers... It's so trivial yet so hard to do! What the hell!

KillerSkaarj
01-30-2010, 02:19 PM
I agree. Can't wait to score some frags with GreatEmerald's UT3 babies :D

HEY! I helped too D:

The mesh importing was all my work (unless you count the fact that GreatEmerald had to re-apply the meshes to the classes after I sent them to him, then it's only partially my work)

Of course, the REAL heroes here are the guys who made the weapon models in the first place.

GreatEmerald
01-30-2010, 03:01 PM
OK, the muzzle flash now works, sort of. It starts from the middle of the screen when you use dual enforcers though, and that's the same place that the tracers start.

Working on the akimbo animation when you come close to an enemy.

EDIT: Akimbo works right now, but could someone say what's the scale difference between UT3 and UT2004? Since right now you need to get *really* close to the enemy to get the animation, and it's even harder to do so here because of the jump height and speed that everyone travels around the map in.

Crusha K. Rool
01-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Is such an animation really necessary? You could keep that small detail as it is in 2k4.

I only know that everything in UT3 is as big as in UT2004, the world-scale did not change. Players are still 88UU high. But 2k4-characters have 88 UU collision radius, while UT3-characters have only half of it.

GreatEmerald
01-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Yes it is, why wouldn't you want to see your player turning the pistols in "gangsta style" when they come close to an enemy? It's a small, but interesting detail.

Hmm, I guess I'll add a little more to the distance then, maybe like 10% of the current, and see what happens.

Mochitsuki
01-30-2010, 11:08 PM
HEY! I helped too D:

The mesh importing was all my work (unless you count the fact that GreatEmerald had to re-apply the meshes to the classes after I sent them to him, then it's only partially my work)

Of course, the REAL heroes here are the guys who made the weapon models in the first place.
Oppss.... my bad! My apologies, KillerSkaarj. I know it's your work too, I just forgot to mention your name. I'm sorry :o

Now the phrase is: I can't wait to score some frags with GreatEmerald & KillerSkaarj's UT3 babies.

And now I really want to say that both of you are indeed AWESOME for making our dreams to play UT2004 with UT3 arsenals come true. You guys deserve more than just a simple 'credit' :)

Skred
01-31-2010, 03:45 AM
Is such an animation really necessary? You could keep that small detail as it is in 2k4.

I only know that everything in UT3 is as big as in UT2004, the world-scale did not change. Players are still 88UU high. But 2k4-characters have 88 UU collision radius, while UT3-characters have only half of it.

I knwo its offtopic, but could that lead to a "player scale" mutator?

GreatEmerald
01-31-2010, 04:09 AM
I knwo its offtopic, but could that lead to a "player scale" mutator?

Err, the player scale doesn't change? It's only the collision radius.

EDIT: Implemented the three shot burst. It was pathetically easy O_o The fire effects will take a lot more time to complete...

Crusha K. Rool
01-31-2010, 08:07 AM
I wonder if it would be hard to port the Titan-mutator.

It basically needed the server to create an array that keeps the points that are required for transformation and let the player transform when he press a certain key.

Then it would need to scale the player (and it's collision radius) up and limit his weapons to Shock Rifle and Rocketlauncher (and double their damage).
Fire rate should also increase and the Rocketlauncher needs to lock a target faster.
Ammo is refilled by using the Tick-function.
The health and shield will also be increased. When the Titan dies, then it spawns something like the Ultima-ability from from RPG-Invasion.

The hardest thing would probably be the shock wave that comes when the player press the Use-key. It would require new animations and throw the players away (since we can't turn them into a ragdoll) and damage them.
I don't know if a Titan can damage players just by touching them (Roadkill).

And then the server would need to fill the score for the player when he's a Titan and allow him to become a Behemoth, which uses the Tick for the countdown too.

But you should finish the weapons first. ;)

GreatEmerald
01-31-2010, 08:34 AM
Yea, Titan would be somewhat difficult to port, but I'm planning to port the Weapon Replacement mutator that is a lot better in UT3 than the Arena in UT2004.

I'm finished with the Enforcers! Fixed a glitch in the system that allowed players to shoot faster than they normally could, the altfire now gets its spread increased in the same style as the primary fire, added the Enforcer static mesh and applied the UT3 sounds to enforcer and its ammo pickups. Will be moving on to the Flak Cannon shortly, maybe after adjusting the PlayerViewPivot of the Enforcers a little.
TODO for Enforcers: make the shots go from alternating hands and attach the muzzleflash accordingly. It might be easy, just messing with handedness, but it will wait until at least beta 4, or maybe RC1.

EDIT: Adjusted the playerviewoffsets and pivots. Here's the result:
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3786/shot00171f.th.jpg (http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3786/shot00171f.jpg)

Mochitsuki
01-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Hmm... the new playerviewoffsets looks better...

GreatEmerald
02-01-2010, 10:41 AM
That's the point, the new offset is nearly identical to what you have in UT3.

BioRifle now has a proper Self Illumination effect:
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/5710/shot00172.th.jpg (http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/5710/shot00172.jpg)

Mochitsuki
02-01-2010, 12:20 PM
That's the point, the new offset is nearly identical to what you have in UT3.

I see... though I never played UT3 before :p

The Bio-Rifle indeed getting better too :)

GreatEmerald
02-01-2010, 01:02 PM
I've got the Flak!
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5227/shot00174i.th.jpg (http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5227/shot00174i.jpg) http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6319/shot00173.th.jpg (http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6319/shot00173.jpg)

I'll adjust the offsets for it tomorrow and let you see the first person mesh. Then it will only need some sound tweaking and that's it, I'll move on to the next weapon (Impact Hammer), since it doesn't have any bugs right now.

EDIT: Also, compressed the textures from ARGB to DXT3-5, and the texture package size decreased from 130MB to 30MB :)

Crusha K. Rool
02-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Nice work! :D

Why are you actually always typing "shot" for a screenie? F9 or Fraps might be better. ;)

For the Bio-blob infront: Maybe you need to add that blob into the animation itself? The UT2004-Flak also does some stuff with it's projectile-ammo in first person when firing. You can see it pretty well when switching to "Rmode1". The yellow Flak chunks are reloaded after being fired.

GreatEmerald
02-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Why are you actually always typing "shot" for a screenie? F9 or Fraps might be better. ;)

For the Bio-blob infront: Maybe you need to add that blob into the animation itself? The UT2004-Flak also does some stuff with it's projectile-ammo in first person when firing. You can see it pretty well when switching to "Rmode1". The yellow Flak chunks are reloaded after being fired.

Because I'm too lazy to search for F9, and I always forget that it's F9 and not F something else. Besides, it's not that hard to press tab and enter four letters now is it? :) And Fraps, I hate it, the only thing that it's good for is that it gives half-good framerates while recording.

Unpossible! I can't animate that well! Attaching would be a lot simpler solution anyway.
I have no idea what you're talking about. The shell is reloaded, yes, that's what happens in U1, UT, UT2003, UT2004, UC, UC2 and UT3 Flak Cannons.

Mochitsuki
02-02-2010, 07:35 AM
I've got the Flak!
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5227/shot00174i.th.jpg (http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5227/shot00174i.jpg) http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6319/shot00173.th.jpg (http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6319/shot00173.jpg)

I'll adjust the offsets for it tomorrow and let you see the first person mesh. Then it will only need some sound tweaking and that's it, I'll move on to the next weapon (Impact Hammer), since it doesn't have any bugs right now.
Awesome! Smooth performance you got there, GreatEmerald. Flak Cannon and Enforcer have been my favorite since UT99. Glad Flak didn't got too much problem in your work. Can't wait to see it in action :)

GreatEmerald
02-02-2010, 11:55 AM
OK, here's the first person mesh:
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1706/shot00179v.th.jpg (http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1706/shot00179v.jpg)
Just for comparison, this is what it looks in UT3:
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/1440/screenshot00000i.th.jpg (http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/1440/screenshot00000i.jpg)

As you can see, it's pretty similar :)

Crusha K. Rool
02-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Nice, although it looks a bit over-speculared (maybe it's different when you move). Is it possible to tame that effect a bit. It may shine, but not so bright that it looks like it is plastic. ;)

And maybe you should take the standard UT3-Torlan so that we have about the same light-conditions.

Is your 2k4-shot with "small weapons"-option or with standard size?

Does it animate already?

GreatEmerald
02-02-2010, 12:44 PM
I want to get rid of specular altogether, it's not needed here, and instead add a Self Illumination map, but I have no idea how KillerSkaarj made it to be specular :\

Well, disregard light conditions, the unlit mesh is identical, not like if it was remade :P

Small weapons I think, both of the shots.

Of course it does, all of the weapons animate correctly.

Also, updated sounds to be random, as in UT3.
EDIT: Solved Muzzle Flash problems and will be moving on to the Impact Hammer tomorrow.

DougC-Icarus
02-02-2010, 03:52 PM
I did not like the UV2 spec (it appears to be using that spec on the UT3 flak in UT2004), it looks too plastic. :P

Does the flak have a specular mask? Maybe it uses a specular, but it does not have a mask to limit the brightness (or something like that) of the specular.

Oh well...flak attack!

GreatEmerald
02-02-2010, 03:54 PM
No, it doesn't... What sets it on, then?

DougC-Icarus
02-02-2010, 06:11 PM
I meant visibility of the specular...oh well...

As for the UV2 spec, I meant to say HighDetailOverlay. I found this on the default properties of the UT2004 weapons.

HighDetailOverlay=Material'UT2004Weapons.WeaponSpe cMap2'
...I guess that is what gives its plastic shine.

The other way to find out is if the texture used on the flak cannon is a shader (where the self-illumination and specular textures can be set).

KillerSkaarj
02-02-2010, 07:45 PM
I want to get rid of specular altogether, it's not needed here, and instead add a Self Illumination map, but I have no idea how KillerSkaarj made it to be specular :\

I didn't add a specular. When I imported and assigned the new mesh to the Flak, it automatically "acquired" a specular. I'm assuming it's that thing that DougC-Icarus found. That's probably why there's so much specular to make the flak look plastic-y.

By the way, Great Emerald. Great job on the Self-Illumination! You truly know more about this Unreal Editor 3 than I do.

Okay, with that out of the way, I have good news and bad news.

The good news, Umodel now allows UE3 StaticMesh exporting (a change that was made on December 27th, 2009 in fact :/).

The bad news? For some reason, they're being exported as .psk. Meaning they're not true Static meshes. So I have to open every single file one by one in MilkShape and use the (strangely well hidden) .lwo export feature.

So yeah, it's gonna take some time for me to convert every single Pickup to staticmesh. For now, I guess you guys wait while I do this.

Huh, it looks like I'm the Model Manager or something like that, eh? :P

Also, fun fact, I think MilkShape is the only modeling program on the planet that has built-in .psk and .lwo import and export. It's weird.

GreatEmerald
02-03-2010, 02:34 PM
DCI, you were right. This is how it looks now, with the Self Illumination:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2725/shot00180n.th.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2725/shot00180n.jpg)

And it has a Shader, but no specular on it. Also, I wonder if I can apply bumpmaps to those textures? Combine the textures somehow?

Working on the Impact Hammer. Made it so the EMP fire kicks vehicles back, but not players (for good ant-manta coverage).

Crusha K. Rool
02-03-2010, 05:10 PM
I remember that someone tried already to get something like a "fake bump-map", but I don't think that it works out.

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Pseudo-Bumpmapped_Texture

You could only try to bake the Normal-map into the texture, but it seems like that has been done already.

GreatEmerald
02-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Hmm, IceTextures... Well, the bumpmaps from UT3 aren't grayscale nor 256x256, so I guess I can't use them...

Finished the Impact Hammer graphics, this is how it looks in first person:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1417/shot00187r.th.jpg (http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1417/shot00187r.jpg)
And in third:
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8144/shot00190.th.jpg (http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8144/shot00190.jpg) http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1424/shot00189.th.jpg (http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1424/shot00189.jpg) http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4937/shot00188m.th.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4937/shot00188m.jpg)

I'll be working on the Impact Hammer's muzzle flash now (will make the primary grey and the alt blue) and on fixing the alt fire bugs.

DougC-Icarus
02-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Hmm, IceTextures... Well, the bumpmaps from UT3 aren't grayscale nor 256x256, so I guess I can't use them...

Finished the Impact Hammer graphics, this is how it looks in first person:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1417/shot00187r.th.jpg (http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1417/shot00187r.jpg)
And in third:
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8144/shot00190.th.jpg (http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8144/shot00190.jpg) http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1424/shot00189.th.jpg (http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1424/shot00189.jpg) http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4937/shot00188m.th.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4937/shot00188m.jpg)

I'll be working on the Impact Hammer's muzzle flash now (will make the primary grey and the alt blue) and on fixing the alt fire bugs.

You can make the bump-map grey-coloured from an image editor program. If it is too large, I could resize them to 256x256. I am sure it is possible to do it larger-res.

As for the Impact Hammer, Jackhamma'!

Crusha K. Rool
02-05-2010, 02:56 AM
You can make the bump-map grey-coloured from an image editor program. If it is too large, I could resize them to 256x256. I am sure it is possible to do it larger-res.

You could do that probably, but I think it would be hard to turn the three-coloured offset of a Normal map into a greyscale - you would still keep that offsets.

GreatEmerald
02-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Working on the muzzle flash... Man that thing is difficult to set up :\ Made the flash grey for the primary fire and blue for the alt fire, and I think I could implement powerup disabling, need to look at that.

Also, just got a nice hosting site for my personal webpage, so expect to see it, and expect slightly slower progress here :)

GreatEmerald
02-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Got the muzzle flashes working on the first person. Now working on the winding sound support, and later on I'll move on to updating the 3rd person graphics.

Mochitsuki
02-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Got the muzzle flashes working on the first person. Now working on the winding sound support, and later on I'll move on to updating the 3rd person graphics.

Which weapon you're talking about? Impact Hammer?

p/s: Oh, I think it's still about Impact Hammer :)

GreatEmerald
02-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Yeap, still about that one.

GreatEmerald
02-07-2010, 10:56 AM
OK, finished with the Impact Hammer. Now the 3rd person mesh animates when it's loaded, the sound is correct and it's synchronised with the 1st person animation. Both 1st person and 3rd person meshes have correct muzzle flashes.
Will be moving on to the Link Gun soon.

Crusha K. Rool
02-07-2010, 11:09 AM
http://www.gamestar.de/community/gspinboard/images/smilies/banana_1.gif Yehaww! http://www.gamestar.de/community/gspinboard/images/smilies/banana_1.gif

*Crusha really wants the final version soon*

So what is absolutely complete already?

Impact Hammer
Enforcer
Flak Cannon
Bio Rifle (?)
Longbow AVRiL

What is left to do in this package?

Linkgun
Sniper Rifle
Rocketlauncher
Stinger Minigun
Shock Rifle
Redeemer

What comes after that?

Pickups
Vehicles

Mochitsuki
02-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Good luck, GreatEmerald! I pray you'll have no problem in your progress. Don't forget to activate your SPEED combo while working too :D

GreatEmerald
02-07-2010, 11:40 AM
I'll want to tweak AVRiL later. Though I may get occupied with other, more important work soon... On one hand, there is this project, on the other hand, my new website and the unannounced Unreal II project...

Mochitsuki
02-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Unannounced Unreal II project?! Don't keep us in suspense too long :eek: :p

HideInLight
02-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Can you post a picture holding a Ut3 weapon centered instead of in the the right hand. Always wondered how that would look like.

GreatEmerald
02-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Well, I can't disclose any information right now, but monitor BeyondUnreal Forums for any new information.
Err? I don't think that Middle Hand is supported in UT2004? It is only in Unreal and UT:GOTY AFAIK. And even if it was, due to the mesh optimisation I talked earlier, it would be of no use anyway, since only half of the weapon is displayed.

EDIT: Link Gun 3rd person. I hope it's not too small, since to me it seems to be on some models...
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6577/shot00191z.th.jpg (http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6577/shot00191z.jpg)

Crusha K. Rool
02-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Oh, there is surely no centered weapon in UT2004…

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/6470/ut2004centeredweapon.jpg

*cough*

Try how it looks if you choose the option. And also pay attention to whether the projectiles spawn in the center now.

Maybe you need to make a second version of each mesh, for the compatibility with all players…

Linkgun: Size looks ok to me, maybe it's because the Juggernauts are so strange. How is the size in compare to another weaponmodel?

And did you tame the knock-back effect of the AltFire? That's way too much! You can push the enemies better around than with a Shock Rifle that way.

GreatEmerald
02-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Try how it looks if you choose the option. And also pay attention to whether the projectiles spawn in the center now.

Maybe you need to make a second version of each mesh, for the compatibility with all players…

Linkgun: Size looks ok to me, maybe it's because the Juggernauts are so strange. How is the size in compare to another weaponmodel?

And did you tame the knock-back effect of the AltFire? That's way too much! You can push the enemies better around than with a Shock Rifle that way.
Hmm, have to find that option, then.

A second version? I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer! ...I mean, I'm a coder, not a modeller!

Yea, the link effect was dampened 5 times so it should be OK now. Still has a pushing effect, but not nearly as big.

Crusha K. Rool
02-08-2010, 02:30 PM
It's in the Player-tab. ;)

And well, you exported the meshes already and simplified them. So how about doing it a second time and cut the bottom part away this time. Then you need to code something that uses either the one or the other mesh, depending on the player's setting. Or code something that will automatically use the right-hand mesh for that weapon if the center is chosen.

GreatEmerald
02-08-2010, 04:00 PM
It's not simplified or anything, I'm using stock Epic models. That optimisation has been there all along. I do believe that it is in UT2004 models, too, since the Shock Rifle you've screenshotted is using right hand for its base - you can see it's not symmetrical, and from a realistic perspective it would have hit a little to the left of Outlaw in your screenshot.

LoveFest
02-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Anyway to have the weapons stay perpetually on the locker? It's a drag not having a weapon if a bot picks it up from the stand/locker.

What's the difference with UT3 IG vs. 2k4's? Explosions, beam, everything is the same except the sound?

Are you going to replace the 2k4 weapon meshes with ut3 weapon meshes and animations (like the rocket launcher loading rockets)?

KillerSkaarj
02-08-2010, 11:01 PM
What's the difference with UT3 IG vs. 2k4's? Explosions, beam, everything is the same except the sound?

Are you going to replace the 2k4 weapon meshes with ut3 weapon meshes and animations (like the rocket launcher loading rockets)?

The differences with the InstaGib rifle in this mod is that it uses the UT3 IG Sounds and mesh

Yes we are, lol. In fact, there were well over 5 pages discussing this with pics posted. I was the one who converted and imported the meshes, but GreatEmerald is working on the coding so that the meshes animate correctly.

GreatEmerald
02-09-2010, 05:23 AM
KillerSkaarj is correct, and the rifle's speed is a little different I think.

As for the first point, err, what do you mean? Weapon lockers are player specific, you always get weapons from them unless you have already taken them :\ And the chargers keep weapons if you enable the "Keep weapons" option in the settings tab when launching the game...

Crusha K. Rool
02-09-2010, 07:25 AM
It's not simplified or anything, I'm using stock Epic models. That optimisation has been there all along. I do believe that it is in UT2004 models, too, since the Shock Rifle you've screenshotted is using right hand for its base - you can see it's not symmetrical, and from a realistic perspective it would have hit a little to the left of Outlaw in your screenshot.

Can you post a screenshot of one of your weapons in "center view normal" and in "center view wireframe" and in "lefthand view normal" and "lefthand view wireframe"?

Talking about first person. ;)

GreatEmerald
02-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Well, lefthand is righthand, just invert the picture :P But I'll post it once I get to it, no time right now.

Working on the link gun animation, and I can't believe how much hax is in the code... For example, WeaponFire.PlayFiring:

function PlayFiring()
{
if ( Weapon.Mesh != None )
{
if ( FireCount > 0 )
{
if ( Weapon.HasAnim(FireLoopAnim) )
{
Weapon.PlayAnim(FireLoopAnim, FireLoopAnimRate, 0.0);
}
else
{
Weapon.PlayAnim(FireAnim, FireAnimRate, TweenTime);
}
}
else
{
}
}
Weapon.PlayOwnedSound(FireSound,SLOT_Interact,Tran sientSoundVolume,,TransientSoundRadius,Default.Fir eAnimRate/FireAnimRate,false);
ClientPlayForceFeedback(FireForce); // jdf

FireCount++;
}
Who thought of doing that to a looping animation?! It's FireLoopAnim, so it should call LoopAnim(), not PlayAnim()! Seriously, what the hell! Same thing with all that "your view decides where the muzzle flash is, not the weapon position" BS... Sigh...
Another example, LinkGun.UpdateLinkColour:

simulated function UpdateLinkColor( LinkAttachment.ELinkColor Color )
{
if ( FireMode[1] != None )
LinkFire(FireMode[1]).UpdateLinkColor( Color );

if ( Mesh == OldMesh ) // no support for old mesh
return;

switch ( Color )
{
case LC_Green : Skins[0] = material'LinkgunShader';
Skins[1] = material'PowerPulseShader';
break;
case LC_Red : Skins[0] = material'LinkgunRedShader';
Skins[1] = material'PowerPulseShaderRed';
break;
case LC_Blue : Skins[0] = material'LinkgunBlueShader';
Skins[1] = material'PowerPulseShaderBlue';
break;
case LC_Gold : Skins[0] = material'LinkgunYellowShader';
Skins[1] = material'PowerPulseShaderYellow';
break;
}
}
The code itself would be OK, provided that it uses the following variables:

Material DefaultShading, DefaultPulse, RedShading, RedPulse, BlueShading, BluePulse, YellowShading, Yellowpulse;
bool bUseDynamicSkins;
But it doesn't use any of that! And the comment, "no support for old mesh"? No support?! Maybe they meant no hax for old mesh, instead!

Crusha K. Rool
02-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Well, it's probably no Laurent-code™, is it? ;)

And yeah, the old meshes give me some kind of nostalgic feeling…
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/pc/featurepreviews/ut2/ut2_screen036.jpg

KillerSkaarj
02-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Working on the link gun animation, and I can't believe how much hax is in the code... For example, WeaponFire.PlayFiring:

function PlayFiring()
{
if ( Weapon.Mesh != None )
{
if ( FireCount > 0 )
{
if ( Weapon.HasAnim(FireLoopAnim) )
{
Weapon.PlayAnim(FireLoopAnim, FireLoopAnimRate, 0.0);
}
else
{
}
}
else
{
}
}
Weapon.PlayOwnedSound(FireSound,SLOT_Interact,Tran sientSoundVolume,,TransientSoundRadius,Default.Fir eAnimRate/FireAnimRate,false);
ClientPlayForceFeedback(FireForce); // jdf

FireCount++;
}
Who thought of doing that to a looping animation?! It's FireLoopAnim, so it should call LoopAnim(), not PlayAnim()!

WHAT. So THAT'S why the altfire anim for the UT3 linkgun was screwed up. I actually thought I was doing something wrong. Looks like it isn't my fault after all.

GreatEmerald
02-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Indeed, and the hax I posted below that explains why the textures get screwed up after firing anything if you don't unhack the class...

Mochitsuki
02-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Is it possible to unhack the class so the Link Gun can work properly?

100GPing100
02-10-2010, 05:15 AM
Good mutator. Downloaded it and it works fine. I am importing UT3 Weapons to UT2004 and already have the Shock Rifle and the Minigun (Stinger in UT3), the only thing that I haven't made is the animations. I am trying to finish that. I am activating your mutator to test the weapons and would like to use it to public the weapons as a mutator, of corse I will give you credits.

GreatEmerald
02-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Of course it is, it's just that Epic didn't make it mod-friendly in the first place, hence why KillerSkaarj couldn't get everything working in the first place.

100GPing, I am working on the animations, you have no need to do that yourself. Please wait for Beta 3 release, where all the animations will be complete and won't cause version mismatch errors.

Mochitsuki
02-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Of course it is, it's just that Epic didn't make it mod-friendly in the first place, hence why KillerSkaarj couldn't get everything working in the first place.

Ha, that's a very good news then. That's what I love to know :cool:

Awaiting for the Beta 3 Release... :D

bECEH
02-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Please wait for Beta 3 release, where all the animations will be complete and won't cause version mismatch errors.

What would beta 4 include (or full release?) and when we can expect beta 3 ? :)

And again - sorry for my bad english :D

Crusha K. Rool
02-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Beta 2 brought the vehicle changes, Beta 3 will give the weapon meshes, Beta 4 might be either the pickups with meshes and preferences or some minor changes on vehicles preferences and meshes for them, I guess.

GreatEmerald
02-10-2010, 03:58 PM
The Beta 3 will have most of weapon bugs fixed, weapons will have their meshes and animations properly setup and maybe have pickup meshes as well. Beta 4 will have vehicle meshes and animations and maybe gametypes.

As for when to expect it... Probably around next month. Check this thread for development progress and screenshots.

KillerSkaarj
02-10-2010, 05:07 PM
The Beta 3 will have most of weapon bugs fixed, weapons will have their meshes and animations properly setup and maybe have pickup meshes as well.

Oh, that reminds me, did you get the projectile and Ammo pickup meshes I sent to you on BU? Most of them don't have skins, but since you already have all of the skins, that shouldn't be a problem.

GreatEmerald
02-10-2010, 05:10 PM
I did get them, but haven't tried them out yet.

KillerSkaarj
02-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Ahh, ok, just checking,

100GPing100
02-11-2010, 05:14 AM
ok thanks for the information. But I am still going to import UT3 weapons into UT2004, but not using your mutator, just to have fun doing something, and try to amke it a mutator for home use or maiby, not so shure, pulish it.

---------------------------------------
Sory for the bad inglish :)
NEVER STILL THE OTHERS WORK!

GreatEmerald
02-13-2010, 11:26 AM
OK, this is around how the middle hand would look like:
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6987/shot00192.th.jpg (http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6987/shot00192.jpg)
It's not the real middle hand, but I've offset it so it would look like one, so it won't perfectly match what you get in game.

Finally solved the strange bug that allowed people to fire the linkgun before the animation started, and aligned the beam start with the muzzle flash. Trying to make the beam straight right now.

EDIT: Finished that (the beam may sometimes be L-shaped, but I'll fix that in the next beta I guess), now only the positioning is left and I'll be able to move on to the Stinger Minigun.

GreatEmerald
02-14-2010, 07:18 AM
OK, last positioning improvements in place for the Link Gun:
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/6565/shot00198.th.jpg (http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/6565/shot00198.jpg)
Will mess with the skin and the sounds a little and then move on to the Stinger Minigun.

EDIT: Added the alt fire activation and deactivation sounds, added a Self Illumination mask, will now move on.

EDIT2: Attempting to change the Stinger Minigun, and this looks pretty tough... The UT2004 minigun apparently uses code-based animation control, that is, the minigun's barrel is rolled via code. The Stinger Minigun, however, is just like any other weapons, so it may take some time to disable code control and re-enable automatic control. The good thing is that the Link Gun uses practically the same animation scheme, and that I made the Stinger Minigun into a Weapon, not Minigun, child, even before I got the animations.

Rukifellth
02-14-2010, 11:05 AM
A problem I already see is on the weapons toolbar, the LinkGun there looks very small, and is placed to low compared to other weapons...

And about the Stinger, hmm... could'nt you see your arm holding the Stinger? Perhaps it could be solved by removing that handle on the Stinger? That way, we will avoid seeing that big arm...

GreatEmerald
02-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Nothing I can do with the icon, it's as high as it can be, if I were to make it higher, you'd see parts of Stinger and Shock Rifle.

Err? No, there are no arms in UT2004 whatsoever.

chrisl121212
02-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Nothing I can do with the icon, it's as high as it can be, if I were to make it higher, you'd see parts of Stinger and Shock Rifle.

Err? No, there are no arms in UT2004 whatsoever.
You could add arms though, just like Runestorm did with Ballistic Weapons.

GreatEmerald
02-14-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm trying to be consistent with the UT2004 theme, and that means no arms anywhere.

Crusha K. Rool
02-14-2010, 03:03 PM
You could add arms though, just like Runestorm did with Ballistic Weapons.

Oh yeah, I am a Robot, but it's nice to see that I have some random arm that looks like it'd belong to some ninja suit that I don't have when looking at me in third-person-mode, but hey, I don't care. :rolleyes:

There is a function DrawActor in the Canvas that forces to draw something, even if it's actually not visible from that view, like it's done with all first-person weapon models. But I don't believe that it would be able to draw only the arm, it would probably draw the whole mesh, besides that the arm wouldn't be where you'd expect it.
I guess that's what is being done in Project Alpha Three to achieve that setting that allows you to render you character even when you are in first person mode. That way you should be able to see yourself in cameras and mirrors, but it doesn't work really good for all characters. You can see your empty hands, but as a Skarrj you can always see your tusks in your view (from the inside), what can be pretty annoying.

GreatEmerald
02-15-2010, 04:43 AM
Fully implemented the primary fire mechanics, including the UT3 style wind up (except that it won't replicate online right now I believe). Will be working on the tracer and the alt fire now.

chrisl121212
02-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Oh yeah, I am a Robot, but it's nice to see that I have some random arm that looks like it'd belong to some ninja suit that I don't have when looking at me in third-person-mode, but hey, I don't care. :rolleyes:

There is a function DrawActor in the Canvas that forces to draw something, even if it's actually not visible from that view, like it's done with all first-person weapon models. But I don't believe that it would be able to draw only the arm, it would probably draw the whole mesh, besides that the arm wouldn't be where you'd expect it.
I guess that's what is being done in Project Alpha Three to achieve that setting that allows you to render you character even when you are in first person mode. That way you should be able to see yourself in cameras and mirrors, but it doesn't work really good for all characters. You can see your empty hands, but as a Skarrj you can always see your tusks in your view (from the inside), what can be pretty annoying.
You don't have to be a mother f***ing wise a**, a**hole...