PDA

View Full Version : An original Gears fan and longtime forum member here - my opinions

ooATILAoo
11-14-2008, 07:28 PM
I've been a fan of Gears ever since the game came out, and I've been on these forums for an age and a half (reading more than posting as you can see:p). I figured it would be worth it to post my opinion on the game (all of it, not just MP). Here goes!

(Not going into specific weapon-balance issues [although I hate the smokes])

Campaign:

Pros:

Fun as hell (this is what matters in the end)
Very movie-like (also a con)
Much more varied than the original
Higher production value
Stellar voice acting
Interesting story
Slightly more of a "draw-you-in" factor
Lots more unique enemies
Smoother feel

Cons:

Way too easy
Checkpoints make the game lag and occasionally freeze (VERY annoying)
Lots of cover spots are missing options for leaving the cover (also annoying)
Not enough battles
Very movie-like (also a pro)
Too much happens underground (everyone preferred the above-ground segments of Gears 1, guess Epic didn't catch that)
Allies never die (they can pretty much do it all themselves)
Skorge was absolutely waaaaaaaaaay too easy

Horde

Everything about this is concentrated awesomeness. I couldn't have asked for more. Well done!

Online Multiplayer - Matchmaking

Pros:

Matchmaking supposedly matches you up with players of similar skill

Cons:

Simply not nearly as fun as Gears 1's server list
Matches me up with people far away and then lags horribly
Big advantage to the team with host (Epic sure didn't fix that!)
Takes way too long half the time, even with a full team
No option for a CoD-esque "Mercenaries" playlist - this is a MUST
People fail to make it into the room but it launches anyways
Playlists are bad (I see this is already being fixed though, awesome!)
One big smoke grenade/chainsaw fest

Online Multiplayer - Private Matches

Pros:

All of the options missing in the original are now available
Lots more fun than broken matchmaking

Cons:

Really the only con is that alive people can't talk to dead people and vice-versa in the lobby, and the teams can't talk during breaks between the rounds. This was one of the strong points of the original - in fact, Epic released a patch to make it possible. Why are they going backwards? What's the point of a match with my friends if I can't talk to them?

Overall, I love the game - but it does have its problems, which I'm sure will be fixed in time. Thanks, Epic!

AceManUSC
11-14-2008, 07:34 PM
I am in the same boat as you as far as being around since the beginning. However, I have to say I began to hate GoW1 by March of 07. The online play became very one dimensional, the shotty dance.

2 is not perfect, no game is, but I have more "fun" more variety. I am dying from a mortar, rushed by a shield guy, get mulched, etc etc. No longer am I pouring clips of Lancer into a shotty rusher only to have them arrive at my doorstep, alive, and blast me into pulp, F that.

Matt S
11-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Excellent post - I agree with many points here.....

kake rumbler
11-14-2008, 07:40 PM
I am in the same boat as you as far as being around since the beginning. However, I have to say I began to hate GoW1 by March of 07. The online play became very one dimensional, the shotty dance.

2 is not perfect, no game is, but I have more "fun" more variety. I am dying from a mortar, rushed by a shield guy, get mulched, etc etc. No longer am I pouring clips of Lancer into a shotty rusher only to have them arrive at my doorstep, alive, and blast me into pulp, F that.

i agree with you, people dont realise epic didnt want you to play gears like number 1 was played, they try to play 2 like 1, then complain when they cant, for everyone who want to play a tactical team based shooter gears 2 is perfect, for everyone that wants to play it run and gun style like gears 1, im sure there are at least a few people playing halo still, or even gears 1 itself.

Specter33
11-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Agree, especially with the campaign. It was too movie like. I wanted to curbstomp some Locusts, not ride a Derrick/boat/reaver/brumak(the reaver and brumak were fiendishly fun though) while fighting enemies as I'm unstoppable.

thorp3do
11-14-2008, 07:45 PM
i agree..

the BIGGEST thing people fail to realize is this is Gears of War ]2[/U], not Gears of War.

ooATILAoo
11-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Agree, especially with the campaign. It was too movie like. I wanted to curbstomp some Locusts, not ride a Derrick/boat/reaver/brumak(the reaver and brumak were fiendishly fun though) while fighting enemies as I'm unstoppable.

My sentiments exactly...especially considering how they boasted about their new tech that would allow hundreds of locust to be present.