PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone considered the possibility that the Gears Movie won't feature Delta Squad?

NutJobJim
09-20-2008, 06:18 PM
You see a lot of threads about people posting their dream cast for the movie and speculating as to who is going to play Marcus, Dom, Baird, Cole etc. I have seen a lot of good suggestions as well as some awful ones, but I was thinking recently that maybe we're all barking up the wrong tree anyway.
There are probably thousands of soldiers fighting in the COG army, thousands of different squads, and many potential stories to be told in the Gears universe, so why does the movie have to be about Marcus and co?
Focusing on Delta Squad from the game presents a number of problems. Firstly it's going to be hard to cast actors who not only look like their game counterparts, but also have the ability to act, and the ability to sound like the in game voice actors. The voice talent on the Gears games is really great and I think no matter who they cast you're always going to have people complaining that the actors in the movie don't look or sound as good as the characters in the game. Focusing on a different squad altogether removes this problem completely and allows them a lot more room to cast different actors.
Secondly by focusing on a different squad they have a lot more options on the story that they tell. When I heard they were going to make a Gears movie I automatically assumed it would tell the story of Emergence Day. They can't set the movie between Gears 1 and 2 because the general movie going public may not have played these games (besides the comic is going to cover this period anyway.) Likewise you can't just start the movie after Gears 2 again because that seriously reduces the number of people that are going to be able to understand the movie having not played the games. Nobody wants them to just re-tell the story of Gears1 because we have already played it and know what's going to happen, so the obvious answer is make a prequel.
However there are a series of novels currently being written set in the Gears universe. The first (Aspho Fields) tells the story of the Pendulum Wars, but I imagine the next one will probably tell the story of Emergence Day. If so will the movie just be a retelling of this novel?

I think the best answer is to set the movie during Emergence Day but rather than focus on Marcus and Dom focus on a completely different group of soldiers. Let us read about Marcus and Doms experience during Emergence Day in a novel and then watch a movie about Emergence Day from the prospective of a different bunch entirely. Some may argue that it won't be Gears without Marcus, Dom etc. but I don't agree. So long as you have all the other elements from the games (the weapons, the Locusts, the gore) the movie will still feel like Gears. Besides you could always have certain characters, like Carmine, make small cameos.
What do you guys think?

UKS_BulletPoint
09-20-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm just hoping Gears the move isn't going to ruin the series name.

James Gotex
09-20-2008, 09:29 PM
I personally think making a Gears movie would ruin it. I dont see how they would make it as good as the game.

But if their was a movie, I do see your point, basing it around E-Day would make things better, plus, makes you read the novel.

DELTA TWO-SIX
09-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Well, that's a great thought, never thought about the movie like that....hhmmm.....

Number1Razor
09-21-2008, 04:50 AM
I wouldnt be suprised if the movie connects the first and second gears, because if memory serves... and sorry if im wrong, but i think the second gears takes place years after the first game... so maybe the inbetween struggles leading up to the second one.

NutJobJim
09-21-2008, 06:09 AM
I wouldnt be suprised if the movie connects the first and second gears, because if memory serves... and sorry if im wrong, but i think the second gears takes place years after the first game... so maybe the inbetween struggles leading up to the second one.

Gears of War 2 takes place 6 months after Gears 1. The comic book is telling the story of the 6 months between Gears 1 and 2.

You can't make a film and just places already established characters in a continuing storyline. What about all those millions of people that haven't even played Gears 1?

When Hollywood makes a movie based on a computer game they don't just make it for people that have played the game-if they did they’d be seriously limiting their potential market. It's more likely that the film will focus on Emergence Day and the beginning of the war with the Locusts. I'm just suggesting that they tell the story of Emergence Day from the perspective of a different set of soldiers than the ones we play in the games, for the reasons that I listed in my original post.

Number1Razor
09-21-2008, 12:32 PM
yea, for some reason I thought it was a longer time between them... anyway I do agree with your idea with using a different set of soldiers 100%, i just cant see John Dimaggio running around in a cog outfit, and the movie wouldnt be the same if Marcus was in it but with a different voice.

ryan219
09-21-2008, 12:36 PM
zomg! I never thought of that, it might be of another squad or something like that :D

Scuzzfest
09-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Yeah I was considering this aswell, If it wasn't going to be CGI this would be a much better idea. Because it's gonna suck if it isn't marcus' actual voice, It's like films base don books in a way. Don't ruin what everyone imagines the world looks like and all the imaginative ideas we have about the world by trying to make it real. I'm sure we al have idea sof what marcus would look like if he was real. but if I play what will eb gears 3 I will always ahve that actor that played marcus stuck in ym head when I see him. Kind of the same way harry potter books now, everyone jus timagines daniel radcliffe instead of their own version.

Chenery
09-27-2008, 03:39 PM
u do know Cliffy B is 1 of the producers for the movie dont you? thats a good start at least

BadMoFraker
09-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Just make sure "The Rock" isn't a cast member or the Movie is DOOMED to Fail...

Lancer Splatter
09-29-2008, 01:34 AM
From what I've read online about the treatment for the movie, it's ALL about Emergence Day and Dom and Marcus...

The only thing I am praying for is that whoever is in it and whatever the story end up being, a) NO UWE BOLL and b) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Don't suck!

Omega360x
10-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Good point you have there.

...I still think CGI is better....spread the word...:eek:

Omega360x
10-03-2008, 07:06 AM
You see a lot of threads about people posting their dream cast for the movie and speculating as to who is going to play Marcus, Dom, Baird, Cole etc. I have seen a lot of good suggestions as well as some awful ones, but I was thinking recently that maybe we're all barking up the wrong tree anyway.
There are probably thousands of soldiers fighting in the COG army, thousands of different squads, and many potential stories to be told in the Gears universe, so why does the movie have to be about Marcus and co?
Focusing on Delta Squad from the game presents a number of problems. Firstly it's going to be hard to cast actors who not only look like their game counterparts, but also have the ability to act, and the ability to sound like the in game voice actors. The voice talent on the Gears games is really great and I think no matter who they cast you're always going to have people complaining that the actors in the movie don't look or sound as good as the characters in the game. Focusing on a different squad altogether removes this problem completely and allows them a lot more room to cast different actors.
Secondly by focusing on a different squad they have a lot more options on the story that they tell. When I heard they were going to make a Gears movie I automatically assumed it would tell the story of Emergence Day. They can't set the movie between Gears 1 and 2 because the general movie going public may not have played these games (besides the comic is going to cover this period anyway.) Likewise you can't just start the movie after Gears 2 again because that seriously reduces the number of people that are going to be able to understand the movie having not played the games. Nobody wants them to just re-tell the story of Gears1 because we have already played it and know what's going to happen, so the obvious answer is make a prequel.
However there are a series of novels currently being written set in the Gears universe. The first (Aspho Fields) tells the story of the Pendulum Wars, but I imagine the next one will probably tell the story of Emergence Day. If so will the movie just be a retelling of this novel?

I think the best answer is to set the movie during Emergence Day but rather than focus on Marcus and Dom focus on a completely different group of soldiers. Let us read about Marcus and Doms experience during Emergence Day in a novel and then watch a movie about Emergence Day from the prospective of a different bunch entirely. Some may argue that it won't be Gears without Marcus, Dom etc. but I don't agree. So long as you have all the other elements from the games (the weapons, the Locusts, the gore) the movie will still feel like Gears. Besides you could always have certain characters, like Carmine, make small cameos.
What do you guys think?

I see what your getting at but who wants to see a Gears movie without Delta Squad?

Wisdom Thumbs
10-12-2008, 08:31 PM
I can really imagine a bunch of different Gears, maybe some of them disappointed that they didn't get to participate in the Pendulum Wars. They start wishing for some big conflict that they can prove themselves in... and then hell opens up underneath their feet. Who will crack? What do people do when their very existance, their very memories, everything they've worked to accomplish, will be erased? Will they run and hide, give up and cry, or will they scramble for whatever they can grab, fight for everything they have, and never give up an inch?

I can really imagine some guy, really outspoken guy, throwing his life away and grabbing a little girl in the middle of the street, trying to race her to safety. I can imagine a man sacrificing his life for his friend, trying to shield his body and save him from the Locust. But what is most vivid in my mind is a dead Gear lying in a water fountain, half floating, staring sightlessly up into the camera as it pulls up into the sky; the blood pouring from his body forms the shape of wings behind him.

Sheesh, I need to be on medication or something, that was disturbing. <_<