PDA

View Full Version : SP_Insertion

M3rl1n
05-20-2008, 08:01 PM
http://www.leveldesign101.com/GoW/Release/SP_Insertion/01.jpghttp://www.leveldesign101.com/GoW/Release/SP_Insertion/02.jpg

http://www.leveldesign101.com/GoW/Release/SP_Insertion/03.jpghttp://www.leveldesign101.com/GoW/Release/SP_Insertion/04.jpg

http://www.leveldesign101.com/GoW/Release/SP_Insertion/05.jpghttp://www.leveldesign101.com/GoW/Release/SP_Insertion/06.jpg

Download (http://www.leveldesign101.com/GoW/Release/SP_Insertion/SP_Insertion.rar)(57.2MB)

======== ======== ========
Playing:
Once on the menu screen bring down the console by hitting the key to the left of the "1" key, then type:
start sp_insertion_p and hit enter

Installing:

Place folder containing SP_Insertion_P.war, SP_Insertion_C_Intro.war, SP_Insertion_C_End.war, and M3rl1n.upk
into:
WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\My Documents\My Games\Gears of War for Windows\WarGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps
Vista: C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\My Games\Gears of War for Windows\WarGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

Add the following lines to:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Gears of War\WarGame\Localization\INT\warfaregame.int

(Is not necessary but without these lines Points of Interest and Objective text will not display properly.)

Under heading [POIS] at bottom of list:

INS_POI_Raven=Raven
INS_POI_Crane=Crane
INS_POI_Crate=Crate
INS_POI_Redshirt=Dead COG Soldier

Under heading [OBJECTIVES] at bottom of list:

INS_OBJ_1=Shut off the gas leak fueling the fire that's blocking your path.
INS_OBJ_2=Use the crane to seal the emergence hole.
INS_OBJ_3=Get back to the surface.
INS_OBJ_4=Buy time while the primary satellite gets into position.
INS_OBJ_5=Destroy the arm guns.
INS_OBJ_6=Kill the driver.

M3rl1n
05-23-2008, 04:20 AM
New video showing the mission played from start to finish.

Download (http://www.leveldesign101.com/GoW/Release/SP_Insertion/ingame_video4.mov) (59.0MB) (Right click, save as)

NewPCGamer
05-27-2008, 05:16 PM
i watched the video and i think it looks really good. goin to download it right now! :)

Phayte
05-27-2008, 05:22 PM
its huuuuge

NewPCGamer
05-27-2008, 05:31 PM
yea it is! i just opened it in the editor and i have a few questions. First off it looks amazing! how long did it take u to make? another thing, how did you learn all those kismet goods? I looked at it and it looks like you have a ton of expierience with the editor. How long have you been working with UED? THANKS!!

NewPCGamer
05-27-2008, 05:42 PM
i cant figure out how to play in game, and when i try to play in editor, it just gives me a frozen screen. any ideas?

M3rl1n
05-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Not sure what the problem could be. Make sure to check spelling when attempting to load from the game. This has caught me a couple times (and it's my own map :P). I probably should have picked an easier name to type knowing people have to type to load it.

Opening the cooked map in the editor seems to cause a few problems -- brushes disappear, textures are missing or have been replaced -- so playing from the editor is definitely not recommended.

I’ll release the uncooked maps sometime tonight just in case that’s causing people problems.

As for the questions: it took about 3-4 weeks of solid work. As for kismet this was my first attempt at using it on a large scale. I've been working with UE3 since Gears was released and UE2 for about a year before that but I have quite a bit of scripting experience as well and kismet is really easy to use once you get the hang of it. It's a real pleasure to work with, as is UE3 in general.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out and for the positive comments :)

M3rl1n
05-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Here are the uncooked files:

Download (http://www.leveldesign101.com/sp_insertion_uncooked.rar) (6.44 MB)

Note that not everything will work properly or as it should through the 'play in editor' mode.

Nazgul24
05-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Well, i have to say you have a great control of kismet indeed. Like a lot the ideas you have done, maybe i copy one or two, LOL. I like them specially the boomerŽs flying door (constraints?), the derrick, the water-sprinklers anti fires (very good the persistent drop), and the machine that begins to move on having activated the button of the underground. You must have a lot of time to expend on it... Ah...That luxury!

I have to ask you where you learn all of that. IŽm still starting with more complex kismet works (i have finished the first chapter of a SP campaing - SP_Fallout, that have a few simple kismet aplications,and want to add some kismet features in fallot02 )and really in this map its a lot of good ideas and scripts to explore. Thanks for that. Anyway, if you can tell me the source where you learn to manage the kismets elements iŽll be so grateful (i prefer a theory introduction before analyze a finished product, its a crazy job, and a high cost of time - and really, i havent much. Unfortunately there is the theoretical slightly material one - and less still in Spanish, so i suppose i have to study directly finished examples, as those of your map). Concretly, I am interested in learning to apply animations to the prominent figures, "like credits" stuff, and texture and materials manipulation. And i need to know how to use emisive particules ... (very good use of water in the map certainly) .

In a critical , but ever constructive, order of things, the maps have a few black points... in my opinion. I must to say i havent open the map in editor yet... and some of the next objections could be ejecutions errors or beta errors. So, i speak only from a user point of view. Let me point any observations:

1)First, the light its too much dark; i think the final apparence will be better if use a little bit intese light in global ambient, and/or need any amisive or more "special Lighting points" to keep a balanced and realistic ambient.

2)I dont know if only happens to me, but there are not suplementary weapons in map, only the locust dropped ones... a few "reload" points are needed!. The map has a lot of load errors with textures... and the map its no so big (my machine works fine in high settings and excellent in medium-high., dont thinks its my problem). żIts a high detail version or low?.

3) For the rest some problem on a large scale with the mesh, and someone of coverage, but I suppose that you are in it.

Summarizing, congratulations for your map, it has much potential, and its funny. I hope that you continue in it, and soon release a version more advanced and complete.

A greeting.

PD: IŽll wait for your soon response

M3rl1n
05-30-2008, 02:24 AM
Well, i have to say you have a great control of kismet indeed. Like a lot the ideas you have done, maybe i copy one or two, LOL. I like them specially the boomerŽs flying door (constraints?), the derrick, the water-sprinklers anti fires (very good the persistent drop), and the machine that begins to move on having activated the button of the underground. You must have a lot of time to expend on it... Ah...That luxury!

I have to ask you where you learn all of that. IŽm still starting with more complex kismet works (i have finished the first chapter of a SP campaing - SP_Fallout, that have a few simple kismet aplications,and want to add some kismet features in fallot02 )and really in this map its a lot of good ideas and scripts to explore. Thanks for that. Anyway, if you can tell me the source where you learn to manage the kismets elements iŽll be so grateful (i prefer a theory introduction before analyze a finished product, its a crazy job, and a high cost of time - and really, i havent much. Unfortunately there is the theoretical slightly material one - and less still in Spanish, so i suppose i have to study directly finished examples, as those of your map). Concretly, I am interested in learning to apply animations to the prominent figures, "like credits" stuff, and texture and materials manipulation. And i need to know how to use emisive particules ... (very good use of water in the map certainly) .
Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it : )

The tutorials I used to learn kismet were those included with the bonus disk of Unreal Tournament 3. The video tutorials by 3dbuzz. They give you a solid introduction, especially on basic theory, and an idea of what can be done, which is almost anything. Beyond that -- just self taught mostly by referencing what Epic did. If you are already familiar with kismet chances are those tutorials won't be too much help though, as they really only cover the basics to get you started.

Kismet is a really accessible way of scripting once you get used to it. Advanced scripts are really nothing more then complex logic you work out in your mind or on paper or with nodes in kismet then apply the appropriate node and connectors to. A lot of what ended up in the map I did not plan for (which is why the flow of the map is somewhat sketchy) but I saw the opportunity for something and went with it since this map was really about learning to use Gears/UE3 to map for single player.

With kismet/matinee it takes only a couple hours to sketch out and setup even a complex sequence, especially since you can do it real-time in the editor using nodes. It’s almost addictive with the freedom it gives you.

/Edit - one thing I should note is that the water systems used in the map during the first "puzzle" were very simple to setup. I did not edit or manipulate through matinee any particles. It was simply a matter of turning certain particle systems on and off through kismet.

The boomer door was a KActor thrown with a kismet fire on a impulse actor. It seemed the best way to get the most natural reaction without a lot of work in matinee.

While the container drop was a KActor released by a kismet destroy of a constraint actor. That way when the crane moved I got a natural swing from the container as well as a natural fall.

In a critical , but ever constructive, order of things, the maps have a few black points... in my opinion. I must to say i havent open the map in editor yet... and some of the next objections could be ejecutions errors or beta errors. So, i speak only from a user point of view. Let me point any observations:

1)First, the light its too much dark; i think the final apparence will be better if use a little bit intese light in global ambient, and/or need any amisive or more "special Lighting points" to keep a balanced and realistic ambient.

2)I dont know if only happens to me, but there are not suplementary weapons in map, only the locust dropped ones... a few "reload" points are needed!. The map has a lot of load errors with textures... and the map its no so big (my machine works fine in high settings and excellent in medium-high., dont thinks its my problem). żIts a high detail version or low?.

3) For the rest some problem on a large scale with the mesh, and someone of coverage, but I suppose that you are in it.

Summarizing, congratulations for your map, it has much potential, and its funny. I hope that you continue in it, and soon release a version more advanced and complete.

A greeting.

PD: IŽll wait for your soon response
Thanks for taking the time to give some feedback, especially critical feedback as it tends to be very helpful.

The reason the map will appear with low detail textures/models is because of a bug with the game. I don’t know if it was fixed in one of the recent patches (I develop on an unpatched version of the game for compatibility reasons) but the only way I know how to work around it is a hack I’m reluctant to use. I chose not to use it on this release for a number of reasons.

Phayte
06-02-2008, 09:21 PM
its a pretty awesome map

Nazgul24
06-11-2008, 05:42 PM
sorry, i cant reply before. I have one doubt: what difference there are (if exist beteween a kactor and a InterpreterActor)?. I will "read" your map to se the process of water usage when i have time....

Another question, if you do not mind. Perhaps It will be answered itself by "editing" your map, but as i said i cant do it in a few days (medical reasons, minor surgery): in the crane animation, you have to use a few mesh (kactor or interpreter?), but in the matinee, you have to move one by one, or you can group them?. I noticed i cant move a prefab i made... and couldnt convert it to a interpreter... perhaps into a kactor?. iŽm a bit confussed with the difference between kactor,intrpreteractor and movers... id you can clarify it to me i will be so thankful.

The last one: a lot of thanks, the bonus disc of UT3 its very useful to basics, but there is not any content about animation of characters... any docs you know about it?.

Thanks for all, and release soon other full-kismet action map... you have instinct to take advantage of Kismet to do awesome new effects.

EPiC UP
07-21-2008, 04:16 AM
pretty cool