PDA

View Full Version : I got a new vid Card, Can I run UT3?

Andy420
03-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Hey everyone, i was wondering if I can get some help, I'm no comp wizz but I ended up purchasing a new vid card hoping I would be able to play my UT3 which i bought 3 months ago and never played ( crash issues), and now I own COD4 for PC. I was wondering If your expertice can help me out deciding if I made the right decsision on vid cards...

I bought a Nvidia eGeforce 8600 GT Superclocked 256mb card HD ready , Direct X 10 ready , SLI ready

PLZ tell my I am able to play UT3 now , other than my video card my comp exceeds all requirements for the game, so how should I do now?

Cheers

Harmatia
03-16-2008, 03:02 PM
That was an awful choice of a card, but yes-- you will be able to run UT3.

Silver900
03-16-2008, 03:15 PM
my card will be GeForce 8600 GT 512 MB :D i got it tommorow i hope

MTL
03-16-2008, 03:17 PM
thats good enough card (if you paid less than $100), though I would say the GTS is better? you have an overclocked version so it should be fine. you WILL have to lower the details or tweak the UTEngine.ini
You should probably play at texture and world detail at "3" if you dont want to tweak.
check my sig, might help you out...unless you are fine playing at 30FPS...
framerate smoothing helps out alot. Its not like midrange cards are going to stay above 62FPS anyways.

Sincreator
03-16-2008, 03:53 PM
thats good enough card (if you paid less than $100), though I would say the GTS is better? you have an overclocked version so it should be fine. you WILL have to lower the details or tweak the UTEngine.ini
You should probably play at texture and world detail at "3" if you dont want to tweak.
check my sig, might help you out...unless you are fine playing at 30FPS...
framerate smoothing helps out alot. Its not like midrange cards are going to stay above 62FPS anyways.

Hey my 3870's are considered midrange, and Im getting 100+ usually. lol. (fun flame) Whats up MTL.

Andy420
03-16-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm not looking for extreme performance or anything im only a computer enthusiast im not diehard enough to go out and buy the 500$+ cards like the 8800 GT, hell they dont even carry those at my local computer stores ( I live in canada)

What about a Geforce 7600GT 512 mb Superclocked , sorry but halfway through my installation I realised it was PCI-e , so it wouldnt fit the connection at the motherboard, so I was forced to go out and try to find the highest available to me that would fit, and it was the 7600GT....any reviews on that , would be appreciated!.

oldkawman1
03-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Hey everyone, i was wondering if I can get some help, I'm no comp wizz but I ended up purchasing a new vid card hoping I would be able to play my UT3 which i bought 3 months ago and never played ( crash issues), and now I own COD4 for PC. I was wondering If your expertice can help me out deciding if I made the right decsision on vid cards...

I bought a Nvidia eGeforce 8600 GT Superclocked 256mb card HD ready , Direct X 10 ready , SLI ready

PLZ tell my I am able to play UT3 now , other than my video card my comp exceeds all requirements for the game, so how should I do now?

Cheers

Is it the OK DDR3 version or the ultra poor performing DDR2 version?

oldkawman1
03-16-2008, 05:20 PM
my card will be GeForce 8600 GT 512 MB :D i got it tommorow i hope

There are 70 different 8600 cards out there. Price and performance differ by a factor of 3. The GTS are much better than the GT with DDR3 memory. The DDR3 memory cards are much much better than the DDR2 cards. Some cards are clocked at 500MHz and some all the way up to 760MHz. The real dogs are the DDR2 512Mb cards.

Andy420
03-16-2008, 05:23 PM
****....lmao 515mb DDR2, I hate where I live, its about the best I can find in stores.....im not big on purchassing online

oldkawman1
03-16-2008, 05:25 PM
I'm not looking for extreme performance or anything im only a computer enthusiast im not diehard enough to go out and buy the 500$+ cards like the 8800 GT, hell they dont even carry those at my local computer stores ( I live in canada)

What about a Geforce 7600GT 512 mb Superclocked , sorry but halfway through my installation I realised it was PCI-e , so it wouldnt fit the connection at the motherboard, so I was forced to go out and try to find the highest available to me that would fit, and it was the 7600GT....any reviews on that , would be appreciated!.

That depends on what you get. There are the very poor DDR2 7600 cards and there are the much better DDR3 version cards. When it comes to economy and mid range version cards, it seems they span a large range of quality and performance. Rule of thumb, DDR2 = SLOW so don't buy it and DDR3=OK, but check the rest of the specs.

oldkawman1
03-16-2008, 05:28 PM
****....lmao 515mb DDR2, I hate where I live, its about the best I can find in stores.....im not big on purchassing online

newegg, zipzoomfly, mwave, and many others are better than any walk in store. You have a huge selection and all the info is a click away.

Andy420
03-16-2008, 06:05 PM
hey thanks alot for your input man, and for the suggestions , I installed the card and drivers, and just played some UT3 ....graphics are a bit crude, but no lag, and most importantly NO CRASHES , it actually plays!!!

D-Hunter
03-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Looking at only UT3 benchmarks, I'd say the best bang-for-buck card is the 8800GS. This doesn't necessarily hold true for other games.