PDA

View Full Version : I don't mean to sound like a noob nitpicker, but...

ShyGun
02-25-2008, 09:43 PM
...does anyone else think that the shock combo's area of effect is too big? (I mean just look at it.)

I often find that the only way to beat a good shock comboer is to run away when you see them and catch them somewhere else within close quarters.

And even when you dodge a shock combo, you still get hurt a f*** load.

xFirexIcex
02-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Not if you dodge in righ timing. You can get away and live happy life time without getting blown to sh** by a shock combo. I think I've avoided one before (not get any damage done) by dodging.

Sprint
02-25-2008, 09:45 PM
I disagree.

Hedge-o-Matic
02-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Leanr to change your range as you dodge and maneuver. These sorts of distance changes make shock combos much harder to pull off effectively.

Nono
02-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Well, since they're now harder to hit, and the other weapons have been beefed up, the answer is no. My only complaint with them is the lack of transparency in the actual explosion ,compared to ut2004. In tight or obstructed areas, it leaves you blind for a moment as to what's happening behind it...then bam!- spam rocket in your face, or viper hit and run.

bclagge
02-25-2008, 10:07 PM
It all depends how far away you are. The farther away you are the easier it is dodge combos. The closer you are the easier it is to get inside their combo range and trip rocket them in the face. If you are farther away bust out Stinger or Link and whittle them down while staying away from shock cores. If you're closer attempt to predict which side of you he's going to fire a core and dodge the other way as he fires it. While doing this try and land rockets, flak alt or shock cores on him. This will knock him about distupting his aim or at least distracting him from landing the combo. Move in closer between dodges until you're no longer in the combo range.

Best of all try and learn to use combos yourself. You don't have to be able to land incredible dodging combos or anything fancy. Sometimes standing still is enough to hit the other guy before he does you.

Harmatia
02-25-2008, 10:08 PM
I find them perfectly balanced, and if anything-- weak in most situations if you're looking out. Once you realize someone's going for them, keep enough distance that you can dodge incoming shock balls before there's even a chance of it getting combo'd, and open up with whatever you can from a distance-- enforcer if necessary (useful if you find that the opponent isn't skilled enough to hit a dodging person with the primary).

Or get a shock rifle of your own, and blow the balls up in their face.

MTL
02-25-2008, 11:10 PM
one things for sure, dont try to land a big ball of goo on the opponent because it wont pass through the shock combo. Itll freeze in midair because of a glitch or something.

Mr Evil
02-25-2008, 11:14 PM
If you're in a really desperate situation, you can dodge into the incoming shock ball. You will take up to 55 damage, but it's better than the 200+ that a combo dishes out.

sKr1p7k1dd
02-25-2008, 11:15 PM
I find that the shockcombo is only gay when its used against me.

it doesnt seem to strong when I use it

DeathmooN
02-25-2008, 11:23 PM
in UT2004, this is easily remedied by taking out the shield and dodging towards them. Now, you pretty much have to run away.

Xenithar
02-25-2008, 11:31 PM
I feel that it is much more powerful than in UT2004. I personally dislike it due to the beefed up damage and radius. I mean, they've gradually taken away those good weapons from us, such as the razorjack, but I am disappointed in UT3 on several levels and while the weapons are one of the less important to me, I am not pleased with the changes, and this is probably my biggest weapon issue, next tot he one-shot link-gun kills from full health!

Uriop
02-25-2008, 11:57 PM
best thing to do is hit him before he completes the combo, this will disorient him. either with flak, rox, shock, stinger alt, etc anything with a pushback

Ultron
02-26-2008, 12:05 AM
I _thought_ the radius was reduced slightly for UT3, but I don't know for sure. Personally I can't tell.

LeeSan420
02-26-2008, 12:49 AM
well i feel it is a bit harder to hit than back in the day the shock combo has always been an important weapon/tactic to the unreal franchise i will cry the day the shock combo is gone but i have always felt like getting a shock combo was the best way to get a rush when killing another online person

Ronvdl
02-26-2008, 10:36 AM
the shock combo is fine. just kill the guy before he kills you:D

13th_Disciple
02-26-2008, 10:39 AM
what i find amusing, like last night in warfare, was standing what was around 10 feet from a dude on floodgate and him still able to pull off a shock combo..

barondro
02-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Certain powerups increase rate of fire, resulting in possibility of closer combo blast? Just a thought. Hmm, if that works (don't know why it wouldn't) I am going to try it today, thanks for the info ;-)

13th_Disciple
02-26-2008, 04:07 PM
he didn't have the berserk powerup..

nos217
02-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Just practise dodging them, i'm sure it's possible.

Zealot
02-26-2008, 05:26 PM
you can detonate his combo ball in his face with your shock primary, if timed well ;) or at worst the bio primary is good for detonating combo balls.

I often find that the only way to beat a good shock comboer is to run away when you see them and catch them somewhere else within close quarters.

but sometimes this is just the best option.

capthappy8p
02-26-2008, 05:33 PM
you can dodge em, my problem is seeing them before they get to me :)

RUKKUS
02-26-2008, 08:09 PM
seems like it was bigger in previous games..

JohnDoe641
02-26-2008, 08:16 PM
...does anyone else think that the shock combo's area of effect is too big? (I mean just look at it.)

And even when you dodge a shock combo, you still get hurt a f*** load.
Most likely you're just being too predictable and they're having an easy time placing the combo where you're going.

Practice being random and never stop moving and you'll see your combo deaths decline by at least 60%.

Elohim
02-26-2008, 08:21 PM
the shock combo is fine. just kill the guy before he kills you:D

Or shoot his shock combo with your shock soon after he fires it - then it will kill him :) I've actually fragged a few opponents like this, but that was pretty much luck :D

ShyGun
02-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Most likely you're just being too predictable and they're having an easy time placing the combo where you're going.

Practice being random and never stop moving and you'll see your combo deaths decline by at least 60%.

I don't believe I move predictably. I believe I move more unpredictably than most players do, and I escape alot of shock combos because of dodging in unconventional directions.

But it's still easy enough for them to hurt me alot (if not finish me off) because of the shock combo's huge damage and radius.

I think if either the combo's radius was reduced, or the damage was reduced slightly, it would then truly be a balanced weapon.

Besides, I'm really good with the flak and bio rifle, but if I want to beat a person who's just as good with the shock rifle, I have to get my shots smack right on him before he kills me, and with the flak it often takes 3 to 4 good hits to kill him, while he only has to combo 1 or 2 times and not even be that accurate about it.

BlueTrin
02-27-2008, 06:59 PM
I don't believe I move predictably. I believe I move more unpredictably than most players do, and I escape alot of shock combos because of dodging in unconventional directions.

But it's still easy enough for them to hurt me alot (if not finish me off) because of the shock combo's huge damage and radius.

I think if either the combo's radius was reduced, or the damage was reduced slightly, it would then truly be a balanced weapon.

Besides, I'm really good with the flak and bio rifle, but if I want to beat a person who's just as good with the shock rifle, I have to get my shots smack right on him before he kills me, and with the flak it often takes 3 to 4 good hits to kill him, while he only has to combo 1 or 2 times and not even be that accurate about it.

well if he hits the ball consistently he would prolly hit you as fast with the sniper rifle =/, the ball is alot smaller now

ShyGun
02-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Nope, the ball stays on his crosshair when he shoots it standing still, while I'm a moving target.

Xenithar
02-27-2008, 07:35 PM
To those of you who say "shoot his shock ball when he fires it", this is almost 100% luck. First, you can't possibly know exactly when he is going to fire one every single time. Second, you'd have to possess godly aim at any distance to do this. I am not saying it isn't possible, but to do it correctly and consistently, you'd need an aimbot. No human could consistently fire off enemy shock balls without some form of aiming help or an angel's luck.

To demonstrate, check out the video below, specifically the time-frame 3:58 to 4:05. This is from UT2004 and is an obvious aimbot. It is programmed to go after enemy shock balls and I fail to see any human pulling off this kind of accuracy, least of all while running and dodging. If somebody CAN do this kind of thing legit, post a video or something, because I just do not see this happening in a real game with legit players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezRzXsPSfCw

BlueTrin
02-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Nope, the ball stays on his crosshair when he shoots it standing still, while I'm a moving target.

Hum, honestly you should not have a problem to take out someone who cannot hit the ball while moving =/

Even if you hit the guy with the shock gun this will knock him back and he is unlikely to combo you =/

Mr Evil
02-27-2008, 08:59 PM
To those of you who say "shoot his shock ball when he fires it", this is almost 100% luck. First, you can't possibly know exactly when he is going to fire one every single time. Second, you'd have to possess godly aim at any distance to do this. I am not saying it isn't possible, but to do it correctly and consistently, you'd need an aimbot. No human could consistently fire off enemy shock balls without some form of aiming help or an angel's luck...
You can do it consistently. I have decidedly average aim, but I can do moving combos, and if I try really hard, I can blow up the odd shock ball or two as my opponent fires them, since that is much the same skill. Those with good aim can do it much more easily.

And yes, you can know when your opponent is going to fire, because you know when you would fire if the situation was reversed. People aren't random.

Xenithar
02-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Again, it's easy to say "Oh I can do that", but where's your proof? Show me that you can read minds and have godly aim. I didn't say it wouldn't happen from time to time, but if I see anybody that consistently destroys shock balls when they're fired at them, I automatically begin wondering if the person is good, or if it's a bot. So far I haven't met the player who can do this consistently, including myself, and I was on the top ten list on the old UT2004 stats Epic hosted until I stopped playing, so I know I was aiming halfway decent. You cannot predict when a player will do this because what's stopping them from whipping out a better weapon and tearing you up? What if they dodge prior to firing?

If you honestly expect me to believe that you can do this, you better show a video, or admit to playing with day one noobs. I've been able to consistently do this to players who don't dodge or strafe, but those are new players and they're in an entirely different league.