PDA

View Full Version : DM-Cath (final version)

Nurb
01-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Level: DM-Cath
Version: Final
Description: A duel map set in a cathedral ruin.
Playercount: 2 to 4 players

Author: Claes "Nurb" Engdal

DOWNLOAD FOR PC (http://www.claeng.com/leveldesign/dm-cath-final.zip)

DOWNLOAD FOR PS3 (http://www.claeng.com/leveldesign/dm-cath_ps3.zip)

Changelog:

Final:
* Moved some foliage that you could previously too efficiently hide behind.
* Moved some pickupfactories that intersected with static meshes.
* Readded the fog, but barely noticable this time.
* Tweaked the midtones in postprocessing slightly.
* Changed this textfile adding a "not" where it previously said "You may commercially exploit any of the content of the level without my permission." (lol @ late nights/no coffee) :P

Beta 2:
* Botspaths! (mail me if you find the bots behave strangely)
* Fixed the jumppad up to rocketlauncher so it's harder to not get into the hole, and also bots can now use it without bouncing up and down for all eternity.
* Revamped (always wanted to use that word, but never again!) map lighting and post processing.
* Made lightmaps more purrdy, at the expence of an entire MEGABYTE of harddrive space! Should have no impact on performance on 99.9% of all machines (totally made up number ^^).
* Removed fog.
* Removed weird staticmesh in lower part of cave.
* Decreased ambient sound volume in cave.
* Lowered altar with helmet slightly.
* Haxxed so the health-packs in the center hall don't fly in the air (not a pretty solution, I know ^^).
* Tweaked spawnpoints.

Almost all textures and static meshes are custom made by me. I've tried to make a good mix between graphics and a solid, fastpaced competitive gameplay. Please mail me if you have any bugreports or suggestions (e-mail in textfile).

The screenshots:

http://www.claeng.com/portfolio/level_dmcath1.jpg

http://www.claeng.com/portfolio/level_dmcath2.jpg

http://www.claeng.com/portfolio/level_dmcath3.jpg

http://www.claeng.com/portfolio/level_dmcath4.jpg

http://www.claeng.com/portfolio/level_dmcath5.jpg

chaos667
01-21-2008, 09:40 AM
ZOMG! This map is AMAZING! Thank you so much for it! This deserves a 10 only!

AnubanUT2
01-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Wow its great to be awake still so I can get yet another amazing looking level. Thanks for you hard work this level is awesome looking. :D

ColdfireRik
01-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Wow this rocks!!

Mighty Rabbit
01-21-2008, 09:49 AM
those screenies look very good but i feels to much UT2K4 to me. I like the new necris- like maps.

FreEp
01-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Personally, UT2k4 feeling is much better , that an Over-SMeshed UT3 feeling :P This level really rocks- thank you Nurb!

djrussell
01-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Ill probebly have every loudmouth on my back after saying this but still:

Any chance of perhaps getting this cooked for the PS3 please?

Looks like a fantastic map and I'd sure love to play it given the chance. Cheers!

Grinchy
01-21-2008, 10:08 AM
This looks fantastic! :eek:

Al
01-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Looks awesome! Will try it out :)

Perfect_Dark
01-21-2008, 10:13 AM
love this map would look even better if could have one of those Harleys.

Nacher
01-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Really coold map with a really cool concept! I just think that map should have some kind of post processing, as now the colors look a bit weird and sterile. Otherwise great. Definetly completely unique gameplay.

Setheran
01-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Nice job with all the improvements, though I still think it's a touch too light. Five stars from me for theme and fun-factor.

Nurb
01-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the comments all :)

On popular request I have cooked a PS3 version, hope it works :eek: Check first post for link.

Freak
01-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Beautiful map,GJ Uploading to server now.This is a keeper.

Terror_Force
01-21-2008, 11:06 AM
damn that looks very good!

Host @ ut-X.net
http://www.ut-x.net/component/option,com_docman/task,doc_details/gid,218/Itemid,62/

Skynet2017
01-21-2008, 11:14 AM
yes, PS3 version works! thanks man!

Omega-Dragun
01-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Very cool map,tested it on the PS3 and its great nice sniper spots!

Saiya-jin
01-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Really good map! Nice atmosphere, nice details, and I get to rain down rockets of doom on unsuspecting bots. HAHA!

DSKEmilio
01-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Yeah it's cool. I like the lighting, and the placement of weapons. The Flak Cannon near that corridor leads to a nice chase. Haha, especially with gibalicious turned on, you leave a blood bath in the wake.

The level design is nice, good flow from one area to the other. I'm sure this match will really shine online, since some of the bots in instant action tend to find a spot, and shoot from there. Without gibalicious on, the framerate is steady even with 16 players. So thank you for cooking this for the PS3!

Bl!tz~
01-21-2008, 12:25 PM
i ll go in church each days with such a map ; )

odkKoma
01-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Nice homepage, too. Never knew you could actually study game development. Wish I had done so, too...

Gush
01-21-2008, 12:52 PM
I just played some quick matches on this map.
It really deserves five stars! Good work!

SEBASTIEN-NOVA
01-21-2008, 01:01 PM
The best map for ut3 I ever seen so far !!!
Good work on it (the size of the map, the lighting -except for the minigun area, maybe too bright-, the texturing and your meshes are just perfect for me ! )
Just Amazing !!

marilol
01-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Sweet jesus, no pun intended;)

bUT THIS LOOKS AWESOME

Arsenal55
01-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Looks amazing.. Got my download!!!

BuffyTheSlayer
01-21-2008, 04:10 PM
one of best map for UT3 !!! :eek::D

Herby
01-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Awesome map. Looking forward to more.
Thanks

ClockworkJB
01-21-2008, 10:17 PM
This is what I've been waiting for, a visually adept map with decent gameplay to boot and a memorable layout. Good item placement and fun with either bots or people. The theme is also fairly unique compared to the rest of UT3's levels and it utilizes colour well for a change (I'm kinda over the sterile, gray look most UT3 maps have). Great job!

NDN_Shadow
01-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Beautiful map and nice layout. However, I often find myself respawning in the same place over and over. How varied are the spawn points?

Software Junkie
01-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Great job. This looks fantastic! Downloading now.....

Leegeta
01-22-2008, 01:20 AM
I downloaded this map but it's as a zip file, how do i unzip this file to play it on PS3? I tried uploading it the way it is on "My contents" but it didn't work, any help is appreciated, thanks!

AnubanUT2
01-22-2008, 01:28 AM
You'll have to extract the archive file out of the zip file. So you need to unzip the archive and then copy the .JAM file to a USB flash drive and stick that into your PS3 and then install the mod. Use a program like Winrar to open the archive.

winrar.com is the site I believe.

Edit: Follow these directions from UT3Mod.com the place to get your PS3 content.

http://www.ut3mod.com/2007/12/downloading-ps3-ut3-mods-directly-to.html

BoomSlang
01-22-2008, 01:31 AM
Incredibly well built map. Everything feels great about it. Not quite as UT3ified as a lot of maps, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. This could be an amazing map even on UT99, UT2k4, etc. It's awesome!

Amun-RA
01-22-2008, 01:56 AM
Great Work.

djsilt
01-22-2008, 02:59 AM
awesome work ! had much fun playing it ! :tup:

Captain_Tea
01-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Very nice map :D

DaZ
01-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Great map, played it quite a few times with bots and its very enjoyable.

If I had to say anything, I think that the sniper rifle is a bit dominating on this map, and also bots sometimes get stuck around the shock rifle area, but nothing too serious.

Overall a very nice map, and runs very fast while still looking fantastic! 8/10

Nagis
01-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Three Thumbs up
excellent work. XD

Freak
01-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Having a server issue,this only happens sometimes but it's always this map.

ScriptWarning: BiaVote DM-Cath.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.BiaVote_0 (Function BiaVote.BiaVote:ScanForNewBots:00D3) Accessed None 'PC'

Any idea why?

Captain_Tea
01-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Having a server issue,this only happens sometimes but it's always this map.

ScriptWarning: BiaVote DM-Cath.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.BiaVote_0 (Function BiaVote.BiaVote:ScanForNewBots:00D3) Accessed None 'PC'

Any idea why?

Its the biavote mutator, I had this problem and had to take biavote off our server. There is a new beta version of biavote, perhaps it is fixed in the new version.

AnubanUT2
01-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Great map ... thanks for the level ... very enjoyable ... it is nice to start getting more well crafted maps that have excellent gameplay and really unique visuals. And it is already on the PSN@Home for PS3 gamers. Good job ... looking forward to more levels from you.

Freak
01-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Its the biavote mutator, I had this problem and had to take biavote off our server. There is a new beta version of biavote, perhaps it is fixed in the new version.

I have 30+ custom maps running with BiaVote without a hitch.I can't see pulling it for 1 map.There is something cooked in the map thats non pc.

Ye Old Pub a dm server.

Maps=( Map="DM-Arsenal", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Biohazard", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Carbonfire", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Deck", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Defiance", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Deimos", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Diesel", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Fearless", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Gateway", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-HeatRay", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-RisingSun", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Sanctuary", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Sentinel", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-ShangriLa", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Bowl", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-CD_TheLongestYard_2007", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Flustered", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Gritt", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Noca", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Subterrane", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Ironic-beta2", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Krodan", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-SubZero", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-TheConveyor", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-{FA2K}-Biomatic_Industry", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-{FA2K}-Pro-Double_Damage-II",Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-DG-Enclosure", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-GrendelKeep3", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Abandoned", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-1on1-Meitsu", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Elevation", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Griever-0o", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Codex", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Pressure-UT3-ET", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-CanyonFearBeta3", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Yard-SE", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-F2F_Gael", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-PerfectTemple", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Calahan2-beta1", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-DomeofMud", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Phobetor_V12", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Stasis", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Downpour", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Tobi-Arena", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-{FA2K}-Spacenoxx_UT-III", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Pripyat", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Campgrounds-2k8-beta1", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-aX_Agony", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Idoma-FE", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Morpheus-2K8-Beta1", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-WorldsElite", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-1on1-Penetrated", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Liandri_B5", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Campgrounds-U3-F", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-DM-ShanghaiNightsV1", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Age", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="", Games="*" )
Maps=( Map="DM-Curse5-1", Games="*" )

Captain_Tea
01-22-2008, 10:33 AM
I have 20+ custom maps running with BiaVote without a hitch.I can't see pulling it for 1 map.There is something cooked in the map thats non pc.

I had the problem on DM-Campgrounds-U3 and it revealed my admin password to the dude that got the error. I had to change my password and i took it off and its not going back on my server till the next release when its fixed. If you like it leave it on, but I am being cautious with BiaVote now.

Nurb
01-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Freak: Hmm, perhaps that mutator has a problem with the custom content I have in my map? Thats the only thing I can really think of that would make Cath different from the other maps on your server. Most community maps are based almost entierly on retail assets, though I ofcourse cant be 100% sure that is the case with your entire maplist, but it's my best guess.

----

Thanks everyone for your comments! It really inspires me to jump right back into UnrealEd and make another map :) (which I probably shouldnt >_<)

DaZ
01-22-2008, 11:18 AM
which I probably shouldnt >_<

Shutup and get mapping :) Would love to see another one from you.

Mojonick
01-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Sexyyyyyyy (10 chars)

Freak
01-22-2008, 04:37 PM
I had the problem on DM-Campgrounds-U3 and it revealed my admin password to the dude that got the error. I had to change my password and i took it off and its not going back on my server till the next release when its fixed. If you like it leave it on, but I am being cautious with BiaVote now.

They have had an update,I started with 0.3.1 and I'm now running 0.5.1

brianford
01-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Really nice map to play. Great job. Thanks.

Chief-Justice
01-22-2008, 04:41 PM
THX @ Freak

good to know theres a new version out.

Larry L
01-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Nurb, I just got to play this map now that it's up on Herby's site. This is a dynamic map. You really have to know where you are or you're gonna get trapped and die quickly. I has a unique feel as well. There is a real sense of being in a Cathedral. Which is a setting no one has gone with yet. The only criticism I have for this map is I wish there was another level below the main floor. Like a tomb or something. I was really expecting that little water patch to go down to something, Anyway, thanks for the map. Good job. It's a keeper for me.

LOCOIDONTKNOW
01-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Love the map, but playing PS3 there seems to be some lag, very noticible when you shoot the guns. Other then that I love this layout, one of my favs so far.:)

AnubanUT2
01-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Hmmm ... I didn't notice any lag on my PS3 and I played a 20 minute match with 5 bots loaded. That seems strange.

Freak
01-23-2008, 10:51 AM
I like the map so well I had to find a way to run it on my server.I deleted map from server,redirect and client side.I dl again and uploaded to server and redirect again.I've tested 4 times now no error.Not sure if it was a corrupt file or someone trying to hack server,log had several errors and questionable players.Any way the map runs great on server and will remain there as long as I have the server.Thank you for the great map!

Brits__Hit
01-23-2008, 12:19 PM
I find the map really fun to play in, and it runs well because of the good use of BSP etc.

The overall texture work is nice, but I'm surprised most of them don't have bump/normal maps.
One thing I can't stand is the vines texture.. I suggest completely changing it to a more deep, constant green as well as the grass. The colours will look much nicer IMO.
Another suggestion is to overall darken the lighting of the map to really accentuate the light coming in from the windows as well as the wall lamps. Also, maybe you could change the wall lamps to a more orange texture and likewise do the same to the lighting around them. That might add some nice vibrant hues.

Great map, otherwise :D

Kantham
01-23-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm impressed by the way it turned out with all the custom content. I am sorry but I have to download this right now.

LOCOIDONTKNOW
01-23-2008, 12:50 PM
played it again no problems. great map

GSX600F
01-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Nice map!! great design, runs very smooth , no problems at all!

i recommend this map! :)

Kantham
01-26-2008, 07:11 PM
I played it, my main issue with the map is the number of pillars standing around, and the upper levels where the sniper stands, makes the whole bottom really dangerous. Also, that tight tight tight corridor, is really bad.

Great design visually though, I'd recomend not to make corridors small enough just to say someone can pass there.

Mickilla
01-27-2008, 06:33 PM
very nice map. plays smooth and looks great. one of a rare few that i'm keeping just because they match the quality of the epic maps.

4TX4
01-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Wow, that looks amazing! Cathedralesque maps kick ass. :cool:

/CPH\
01-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Excellent map, that is really well done. This one is a keeper for me!!

Whiskey 7
01-27-2008, 10:48 PM
A big hanks for the map :D

I was looking for this excellence and found it.

Thankyou for the effort. Appreciated :)

Is the sig too big?

First forum I have bothered with one :rolleyes:

fury020
01-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Nice bright map i think its a keeper. :)

Mojo
01-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Nice map we have in on our server.

Kiyoka
01-30-2008, 08:43 PM
I think I'm in love... :D

JUNGLIST MOVEMENT
01-31-2008, 03:03 AM
what a beauty :)

BooRad
01-31-2008, 07:16 AM
A very beautiful technical map that flows well and departs from the 'killbox' style of maps bundled in UT3. Definitely a keeper :)

T@F
01-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Very good :D
My only gripe is the pillers,keep running into them lol

Also nice and colorful :D
10x

gämmö
02-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Excellent map. Love the layout... well done.

btcomm
02-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Downloading now, looks good.

AnubanUT2
02-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Congratulations on making it into this:

http://planetunreal.gamespy.com/static.php?page=UT3Essential

Great job!! We demand more work of this quality. :D

optic_freeze
02-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Very well done....

BooRad
02-11-2008, 05:56 AM
About time this map got the recognition it deserves. Well done on making Planet Unreal's Essential UT3 Maps list :D:D:D

Nurb
02-13-2008, 04:05 AM
Congratulations on making it into this:

http://planetunreal.gamespy.com/static.php?page=UT3Essential

Great job!! We demand more work of this quality. :D

About time this map got the recognition it deserves. Well done on making Planet Unreal's Essential UT3 Maps list :D:D:D

Thanks! It was a big suprise for sure :) Very motivating! I'm about halfway done with my next map now, hope you will all like that one aswell :) Again my focus is to make a good looking map with heavy emphasis on gameplay. This time I intend to try take the graphics one step further (without sacrificing gameplay or performance) simply because I've learned so much since last.

FreEp
03-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi Nurb! How's your work on the next mak going? When we can expect beta, or some screenshots?
Or write something about it- what kind of theme you're creating? :)

FordPrefect
03-12-2008, 06:04 PM
I love this map, it's beaut-i-ful.

The one thing I would have done different is that puddle of water near the body armor. It should lead to a waterfilled tunnel and exit through a well or something pretty far away.

Not that my suggestion matters, but it reminded me of the old Unreal maps, and they tended to have fun things like that. Love the bell tower thingie too.

paradigm
03-13-2008, 09:37 PM
this map looks amazing

Viper7
03-14-2008, 12:31 PM
This is fine example of small but really well made map. There are no bugs to be found anywhere, and the whole look is really beatifull. Map has a lot of variety which you have achieved with succesfull usiage of floors and levels.
Getting to the upper levels is easy and weapons seem to be well placed around the stage. Not to mentiontion the way you have placed the Grass and other greenies.

There are only few downsides and some are a bit oppinion based.
Firstly, the map is bright, really bright as in REALLY bright, after jumping around other levels and entering this one almost made me search for my sunglasses. slighthly lowering the brightness of things could ease the eyes but not too much since it is also one of the factors that make this map seperate from dark and gloomy epic maps (no offense to epic :P)
Also the map has partialy some rather low resolution textures which could better but do not dramaticaly lower the already nicelooking map.
Then there are these parts you havent given as much attention as others, one of them is the really cubic looking passage inside the cathedral which leads from 3rd floor to 1st floor. There are also a bit unrealistic cubic doors in the map, cathedrals mostly consist of round shaped objects

http://www.nashfordpublishing.co.uk/cathedrals/index.html
See any square doors?

also theres a part of the cathedral where the floor is nearly empty and pillars go straight trough the floor, its a bit unnatural for pillars that are basicly there to support the building to have such a thin bottom/base part. Oddly most of your pillars however seem to have the bottom part.

Also as you know, cathedral is a church, so there should be plenty objects around it like maybe old coins, chairs, old carpets, books etc etc. Having some more of these might give the cathedral more realistic look and higher lvl of detail. However in small map like this too much might damage the playability.

Yet like many other maps I have played, the map is well made and having bug free map is really a rare sight. Keep up the good work and relase more maps like this one! or some maybe even better.

Oh and having readme file is always a plus, but its not lot of trouble to add some small guide how to install the map to Ps3 as there are dozens of guides around the web.

Taintedmarrow15
04-26-2008, 10:52 AM
dude sweet ass map, i love how you used the gothic catherdral look it is ****ing badass

Vitae
04-26-2008, 04:12 PM
I must say that this map looks sweet.
I both hate you and love you. :)

Hate, because Ithis is exactly what I would like to have in my portfolio.
Love, because you managed to pull this of nicely and thats a hard thing to do because the areas in this map are quite hard to complete in a level designers point of view.

Freaky1
04-29-2008, 07:07 AM
Uploaded this map to server the day it was released and it's one of the few maps I've never had to worry about.All comments have been what a great map it is.Congrats on the recognition and thanks for this fine map.

Kev_Boy
04-29-2008, 07:10 AM
That can be a sign to worry though, if everyone likes it maybe it didn't go far enough? Just a possibility... :p

ZzyzX
04-29-2008, 10:46 PM
absolutley beautiful looking. thanks

VoodooFox
04-30-2008, 10:02 AM
We installed this on our server, we found it very practicle. ;)

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/85.236.101.21:7777/b_560x95.png

surfdude1
05-27-2008, 02:07 AM
This was my first custom map download. Still play it, still love it! Many thanks from a PS3 user!

UT2004Addict
05-30-2008, 03:06 AM
One of my all-time favorite Deathmatch maps. :) Absolutely great level design, variety, and flow -- it's actually fun to fight bots here! How'd that happen? :)

Thanks for sharing! I hope you make some more maps soon!

Lynch
07-04-2008, 12:16 AM
This is great! I've been playing it non-stop for 2 hours. If you are too far behind try taking the sniper rifle, get to where the rocket luncher is located and knock off some heads. There is a respawn point right behind there, so have to be careful not to get too carried away with sniping. Cheers.

SkaarjMaster
03-10-2010, 09:38 PM
DL link still works on this one! Mostly inside a church with lots of pillars on the side of a mountain; I liked the floor, walls, steam and lighting. This has decent z-axis, but the bots could be better. Not sure about the long winding tower with not much in it though, but a crazy time in the church.