PDA

View Full Version : UTMultiTeam (TDM4 and Classic DOM) Progress Report

Catalyst
12-21-2007, 01:38 AM
I was hoping to get a working alpha done by today as an early christmas present for you all, but unfortunately I've not had the time to quite get it to a releasable standard. So, here's some screenshots instead! The gameplay's pretty much worked out, I've got a couple more bugs to fix and some netcode issues to do with team switching to sort out, but once I get back to a compy I can work at it on, I will be releasing at least the TDM component for testing sometime in early January :)

Once again, many thanks to Lotus of CustomUT fame for letting me use his shaders - the coloured skins you see here are all down to him!

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7049/screenshot00004xi6.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/4198/screenshot00006gu0.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8972/screenshot00007hx6.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7087/screenshot00009av5.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/6301/screenshot00011fx1.jpg

Taboen
12-21-2007, 06:00 AM
Niceeeeeeeeeee :D

Anyways, whats going to happen now, I thought UT3DOM was already remaking classic DOM? And they will implement 4 teams aswell won't they?

gravity0
12-21-2007, 08:08 AM
Very nice... Even with skin colors for all players (not like ut2k3 one)

Nice Job

Mr.UglyPants
12-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Freaking A Cataylst. Man, gotta love Lotus and that skin color thing he gave ya.

I seriously (and UTDOM + Public) can't wait for this to go final (or even beta).

Just a question, do you know if the shader thing Lotus gave you, will it put green and gold skins onto custom models as well? Like does his program/coder make it so it places a green/gold texture to replace the present blue/red?

Reverse
12-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Hey, I've tryed customUT and it was cool, however I didn't really like the fact that the custom skin colors made the bots in my game look like glowsticks, so I was just wondering if people are going to glow like crazy at a far distance?

Wormbo
12-21-2007, 01:12 PM
HeatRay Dark Walker shots please or it didn't happen. ;)

Chief-Justice
12-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Could be fun with 4 teams with 2 guys ;)

Larry L
12-21-2007, 01:44 PM
WOW, that 4 team mod has got to be one of the coolest mods I've heard of. If this works, in it's final release on PS3, people on PSN will have a field day with this. I don't know how many time this has been done on PC, but I don't think ANY console shooter has had 4 team battles. So sick! can't wait to play this some day.

Mr.UglyPants
12-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Hey, I've tryed customUT and it was cool, however I didn't really like the fact that the custom skin colors made the bots in my game look like glowsticks, so I was just wondering if people are going to glow like crazy at a far distance?

Look at the first picture, their you have it, non-glowstix bots.

Catalyst
12-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Just a question, do you know if the shader thing Lotus gave you, will it put green and gold skins onto custom models as well? Like does his program/coder make it so it places a green/gold texture to replace the present blue/red?

So long as those models' skins are based on the same materials as the vanilla UT3 characters are, and I don't see a real reason why they should not - although I'm not an artist so don't quote me on that - then that should be fine. Anyone subclassing my gametype should be able to add their own character shaders fairly simply anyway if they want to; Lotus has his setup so that team colour is controlled by a vector parameter, if I remember rightly, so if the custom models' shaders have that parameter then they'll be coloured too.

I've been aiming for a similar glow to epic's standard game models at a distance. The top shot may be slightly misleading given that it isn't *quite* far away to glow, I believe.

Hadn't even begun thinking about vehicle materials... that may or may not still be the case by final release ;)

WOW, that 4 team mod has got to be one of the coolest mods I've heard of. If this works, in it's final release on PS3, people on PSN will have a field day with this. I don't know how many time this has been done on PC, but I don't think ANY console shooter has had 4 team battles. So sick! can't wait to play this some day.

I hope it will just work on the PS3, but I'm willing to work with anyone who has the PS3 version to iron out any bugs with it, once we're allowed to do bespoke PS3 mods :). I believe Halo 3 does 4-team DM (maybe previous Halos too?), but I think they're 2v2v2v2.

Mr.UglyPants
12-21-2007, 07:49 PM
If your really silly, you could have everyone on their own team (everyone a different team color) in Halo2/3.

General.Jung
12-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Hello Catalyst,

this is a really good work and that in a so short time. I can not wait for the Domination Part of the mod.

Mr.UglyPants
12-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Hey Catalyst, in your mod, in the settings menu (for gamemodes) we'll be able to choose from 2 to 4 teams right?

Catalyst
12-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Hey Catalyst, in your mod, in the settings menu (for gamemodes) we'll be able to choose from 2 to 4 teams right?

Kind of. Because it's currently near impossible to set your own gametype settings in the menus, I've included a gametype in the menu for each type of setting (so 3-Team Deathmatch and 4-Team Deathmatch, though DOM will require three of 'em). I hope to either find a novel way of inserting my own options screen or just go with that ;). It's still only one gametype really, with multiple entries, so starting a server will happen with a ?NumTeams option.

Mugglez
12-23-2007, 08:36 AM
This looks awesome! Can't wait to try it out! Thanks for all your hard work!

Chief-Justice
12-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Yeah, I'm keen on playing an 8 people 2on2 against my clan mates. ;)

Just played a little of that against bots in UT99 ... 0ld sch00l ftw!

Mr.UglyPants
12-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Some next patch by Epic will probably fix it.

Catalyst
12-23-2007, 03:24 PM
It's in their TODO list from what I've heard :)

Mr.UglyPants
12-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Well thats good.

ScottUT
12-23-2007, 09:02 PM
A last team standing, or something of the sort, would be really cool.
Although, I think each player should have a specified amount of lives to pull from, rather than having the lives be bound by team.

TheIronKnuckle
12-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Oh my G-GG-GO_ggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

I had given up hope that 4 team stuff would ever come back, and all of a sudden THIS pops up. I love you. I must subscribe to this thread.

Mr.UglyPants
12-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Let someone make a Team Elimination4 or Last Team Standing 4 instead Scott.

agentq_71
12-25-2007, 08:18 PM
Let someone make a Team Elimination4 or Last Team Standing 4 instead Scott.

If the 4 team code is directly based off of UTTeamGame then it shouldn't be too hard for me to make a multiteam version of Team Elimination.

Catalyst
12-25-2007, 09:34 PM
If the 4 team code is directly based off of UTTeamGame then it shouldn't be too hard for me to make a multiteam version of Team Elimination.
It is - I'd appreciate it if you had a look at the framework once I've released a beta and let me know how I can change it to be best for subclassing though :)

agentq_71
12-26-2007, 01:20 AM
It is - I'd appreciate it if you had a look at the framework once I've released a beta and let me know how I can change it to be best for subclassing though :)

Sure thing. Just let me know when it's ready. The key for Team Elimination to work is if you maintained support for the MaxLives and LateEntryLives properties in UTGame and the bOutOfLives property in PlayerReplicationInfo.

FragTastic
12-27-2007, 12:20 AM
Share the glowstick concerns, having played custom UT. However I must admit I like my TDM4 that much, I'd probably still play it, even if the bots had strobe lights lol. Hopefully they wont be too bright however, although I guess a bit of brightness is going to be necessary to discern green and yellow teams. Keep up the good work Catalyst :)

Tahngarthor
12-27-2007, 03:03 AM
in response to a waay earlier post, Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64 actually offered teams for all gametypes (even CTF lol) where N is the total number of players and bots. It was like the first console shooter to allow you to have more than 4 players + bots in the game. So basically, if you had 12 ppl (4 player splitscreen with the max 8 bots) you could have 6 pairs, or everyone for themselves except team up a noob player with a bot or something as a handicap. :D With these shaders, you could in theory do the same thing...

Will you be able to include an option to set your preferred team (which is mysteriously absent even for normal 2 team DM)?

Catalyst
12-27-2007, 05:10 AM
So basically, if you had 12 ppl (4 player splitscreen with the max 8 bots) you could have 6 pairs, or everyone for themselves except team up a noob player with a bot or something as a handicap. :D With these shaders, you could in theory do the same thing...

Theoretically, yes, this is possible and my code supports it, but the in-game assets I've generated don't - although if the scoreboard were changed to the sort of layout that Halo 3 uses, this would be possible, now I think about it.

Will you be able to include an option to set your preferred team (which is mysteriously absent even for normal 2 team DM)?

Unfortunately it seems not at the moment, given that I can't change the gametype settings menu - although I may add an ini setting to do this for those who really want a preferred team.

Tahngarthor
12-27-2007, 12:38 PM
What I would do in the situation of more than 4 is use the deathmatch hud, and have the spread in the top right show teams instead of individuals., and highlight each player's name in a different color on the DM scoreboard.

Thing is, in PD you knew exactly how many people would be playing before you started the game; you would need two variables: maxteams and teamsize to support that. I always liked multi-team deathmatch because it gives you someone to cooperate with while still retaining that free-for-all deathmatch feel since you have more enemies than allies.

I'd leave it the way it is for now, and maybe experiment with this after its out the door. :)

GrrDraxin
12-27-2007, 08:31 PM
The TDM4 for UT2K4 was quite interesting and had all kinds of nifty features, including some of the ones mentioned here. Perhaps you could take some ideas from that one to implement into this one.

I'm just waiting to see who does a remake of the Morpheus map, then apply CTF4 into it like with the UT2K4 version. That one was fun. Too bad space combat was didn't make the cut this time, Mothership was cool.

Catalyst
12-27-2007, 09:48 PM

Your wish is my command:

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/5532/screenshot00017pn3.jpg

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/9482/screenshot00018cl2.jpg

Shinobi
12-27-2007, 10:15 PM
<3 Catalyst.

Tahngarthor
12-27-2007, 10:59 PM
darkwalker pics

plz release mod! <3 <3 <3 this will be awsome :D

Mr.UglyPants
12-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Does that even happen for red and blue team in the regular game?

Still, amazing work C, man i wonder if some people will design Warfare4... omg taht would be way too much fun to play, 32 player matches, 8 x 4 teams, pure havoc/ greatness, though i bet we'd be able to coax more player amount out of the game, i think 48 would be good enough for Warfare4, 12 x 4 teams, now if only this could be done, then it would be like the craziest and best gamemode ever!

Sorry for just wandering off, i can dream can't i? Still, the Darkwalker looks great.

So your doing TDM4 and Classic Domination, why randomly throw in Domination, why not CTF4? You know anyone working on CTF4?

Catalyst
12-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Well, I originally wanted to program a classic domination mode and TDM4 was a step towards that :). I don't see any reason why someone couldn't expand Warfare using my techniques/classes as a basis but it wouldn't be trivial.

I might consider doing CTF4 but that would require more scoreboard/HUD coding and I'm a little sick of that for the moment! Still some bits and bobs to clean up before I'm ready to release an alpha version.

Larry L
12-28-2007, 01:15 AM
I'm really just drooling to play TDM with 4 teams. Domination will be a great bonus as well if it works on PS3. 4 team CTF?.....that's complicated to just THINK about playing. Warfare as well. Not to say I wouldn't try them, were they attempted. Would a mod be able to increase the amount of players on the PS3 version? or is it limited to 16 players? Cuz you couldn't even think of playing 4 team warfare with a 4 man team.

That darkwalker is so sick in yellow. I really have never been able to see the lines of it till now. It's the Ferrarri of Darkwalkers. This is my MOST anticipated mod FYI.

Tahngarthor
12-28-2007, 03:21 AM
I could see warfare-4 working but you'd need to set the minplayers to at least 16.
I'm pretty sure even ps3 servers still have a 32 man limit.
Warfare is fine on the smaller maps with 4v4 (i.e. market district, sinkhole). If you want to set it up once u get DM working I can even try making a map for it. (I'd probably convert torlan, it already has a nice shape for this)

But finish deathmatch first. I'm itching for it bad! :D

Spoondog
12-28-2007, 06:12 AM
The Darkwalker was the first vehicle I tried to change to green/yellow and it was easily able be changed just with material instance parameters (except for the glowing orb)... but then I talked to Wormbo and he mentioned that others are "hard textured" red and blue. So I looked at the Cicada and sure enough, that has red and blue base textures... so I played with that and found you can change that to green/yellow fairly easily with a new material (http://spoondog.beyondunreal.com/miscimages/green_cicada.jpg) (so file size is still small), but apparently that means different treatment for each vehicle so is a pain to do in script... so good luck if you're planning on supporting the vehicles!

I for one have always been a fan of 4-team CTF, and 4-team DOM in UT1 was probably my favourite gametype. So I'd be happy to see this become a success :)

Come to think of it... warfare would basically be just "interactive Domination" (interactive referring to capturing/destroying points rather than just touching them) if the level was made so that the core was damaged n points per sec * number of nodes held (which I assume could be done in kismet)... so go 4-team warfare I say! ;)

Catalyst
12-28-2007, 08:15 AM
The Darkwalker was the first vehicle I tried to change to green/yellow and it was easily able be changed just with material instance parameters (except for the glowing orb)... but then I talked to Wormbo and he mentioned that others are "hard textured" red and blue. So I looked at the Cicada and sure enough, that has red and blue base textures... so I played with that and found you can change that to green/yellow fairly easily with a new material (http://spoondog.beyondunreal.com/miscimages/green_cicada.jpg) (so file size is still small), but apparently that means different treatment for each vehicle so is a pain to do in script... so good luck if you're planning on supporting the vehicles!

Well, yes, there's the 'Veh_Plating_Team_Color' parameter on the necris vehicles' base material ("VH_All.Materials.M_VH_All_Necris_Base"), which is why the colours are so striking in those screenshots. Still, the material I'm using changes the lass noticable teamcoloured features of those skins as well as the obvious parts. The trick to supporting multiple vehicles in-game is to replace their materials on the fly with newly created MaterialInstanceConstants, copying the needed parameters from the old MIC and replacing their parent material that does the colour changing.

I for one have always been a fan of 4-team CTF, and 4-team DOM in UT1 was probably my favourite gametype. So I'd be happy to see this become a success :)

:cool:

Come to think of it... warfare would basically be just "interactive Domination" (interactive referring to capturing/destroying points rather than just touching them) if the level was made so that the core was damaged n points per sec * number of nodes held (which I assume could be done in kismet)... so go 4-team warfare I say! ;)

Funny you should mention that, I was planning on using the warefare node models as control points for DOM. They come with a handy location tag as well ;)

Chief-Justice
12-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Get it done FFS ;) :D

Larry L
12-28-2007, 02:26 PM
I could see warfare-4 working but you'd need to set the minplayers to at least 16.
I'm pretty sure even ps3 servers still have a 32 man limit.
The max players right now on PS3 is 16. As far as I know anyway. I've never seen a server with a max players # over 16. That's why I was wondering if max players on a server can be increased through mods. Or will it be stuck at 16 cuz that's what's programmed on the disc? The PC cab have as many people as the server can handle, right?

ColdfireRik
12-28-2007, 04:51 PM
When do you plan on releasing it? Since it's been christmas, just take your time ;)It's only a question :) ;)
Cya

Catalyst
12-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Two weeks? :D

Chief-Justice
12-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Tooooooooooooo Looooooooooooooong!!!!! ;)

PS: In case you need some peeps to test it just let me know, my team's got a lovely root server which is constantly updated with new stuff so we'd be pleased to help :D

Tahngarthor
12-28-2007, 08:13 PM
The max players right now on PS3 is 16. As far as I know anyway. I've never seen a server with a max players # over 16. That's why I was wondering if max players on a server can be increased through mods. Or will it be stuck at 16 cuz that's what's programmed on the disc? The PC cab have as many people as the server can handle, right?

The normal limit is 32.

Catalyst
12-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Thought you might like to see another screenshot... this is one of the bugs I'm about to fix (well, technically a feature I suppose ;)). Spot the problem!

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7808/colorcoordinationhl1.jpg

Tahngarthor
12-28-2007, 10:47 PM
actually, thats kinda cool can you leave it like that? ;D

Catalyst
12-28-2007, 11:40 PM
Sorry, but I've fixed it! Though... I've just had a thought. How about disco coloured skins. Every so often the game goes into glitterball mode and you must dance til you drop! Maybe that's 5AM talking ;). Here's some more eye candy!

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6352/screenshot00022mm3.jpg

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2254/screenshot00023ts2.jpg

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3308/screenshot00025xl6.jpg

Tahngarthor
12-29-2007, 12:43 AM
in the last two pics the guns look green but the hands look yellow. :)

I did find a preferred team setting in the ini... will this work with this mod and you just use #2 and 3 for green and gold?

ColdfireRik
12-29-2007, 06:09 AM
Can you release an Alpha version of it?

Catalyst
12-29-2007, 06:47 AM
in the last two pics the guns look green but the hands look yellow. :)

You're right :). That's very helpful to me, I'm slightly colourblind! The colour changing isn't perfect, unfortunately, but it's good enough.

I did find a preferred team setting in the ini... will this work with this mod and you just use #2 and 3 for green and gold?

Actually, it should do, theoretically.

Can you release an Alpha version of it?

Yes, but I'd rather wait til I've got the last few things implemented - those being some more weapon colourings, fixing some of the teamchange issues I've had in online play and some structural code changes to make it easier for people to reuse my multiteam logic without a dependency on all the new assets I've created.

ColdfireRik
12-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Ok thanks for your reply ;)

Chief-Justice
12-29-2007, 01:48 PM
An alpha would be awesome, really wanna play it with my clan mates on our password protected server :D
So damn keen on playing 4 x 2ppl ;)

Tahngarthor
12-29-2007, 02:43 PM
That was really my favorite way to play DM in UT99... four pairs. It gives you the opportunity to gain an advantage from cooperating with a teammate while still retaining that free for all deathmatch feel. :)

Chief-Justice
12-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Sorry, but I've fixed it! Though... I've just had a thought. How about disco coloured skins. Every so often the game goes into glitterball mode and you must dance til you drop! Maybe that's 5AM talking ;). Here's some more eye candy!

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6352/screenshot00022mm3.jpg

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2254/screenshot00023ts2.jpg

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3308/screenshot00025xl6.jpg

Now that I re-read the whole thread again I just realised that I don't care about weapon colours since weapon models should be disabled anyway. ;)

Only eye candy noobs play with visible models and these guys don't need multi-TDM to play offline against bots anyway, so GET IT OUT. :D :p :D

Mr.UglyPants
12-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Totally awesome work Catylst.

Tahngarthor
12-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Only eye candy noobs play with visible models and these guys don't need multi-TDM to play offline against bots anyway, so GET IT OUT. :D :p :DI'm no "eye candy noob" but I certainly dont think the weapon models are any major obstruction. I dont get a feeling like im shotting a gun if I can't see it. I dont care if it's pretty looking or not. And i'm quite the deathmatcher, online or not :D

Plus those colors apply to other peoples models and the gun they're holding in their hand as well. So unless u want to disable other players models (Now theres an idea for another gametype ;) too, it still needed addressing :)

Chief-Justice
12-30-2007, 03:40 PM
I'm no "eye candy noob" but I certainly dont think the weapon models are any major obstruction. I dont get a feeling like im shotting a gun if I can't see it. I dont care if it's pretty looking or not. And i'm quite the deathmatcher, online or not :D

Plus those colors apply to other peoples models and the gun they're holding in their hand as well. So unless u want to disable other players models (Now theres an idea for another gametype ;) too, it still needed addressing :)

Good point tho :D

marilol
12-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah, the models are great but i don't stare at them or find them an obstruction, in fact i find having the models turned off lowers my accuracy because you can't realy on the crosshair with some weapons.

Chief-Justice
12-30-2007, 03:46 PM
because you can't realy on the crosshair with some weapons.

What the heck are you talking about? :confused: :D

Tahngarthor
12-30-2007, 10:45 PM
What the heck are you talking about? :confused: :D

Crosshairs are next to useless with the bio rifle and the flak cannon alt fire, and the translocator. Anything that fires in an arc.

D-Hunter
12-31-2007, 01:43 AM
This is cool. Can't wait to try it.

Kearin
12-31-2007, 07:34 PM
Hey Catalyst this looks great. I had actually thought about doing something similar and if you look in the code of my invasion mod on the beta thread, I built a new game set off of UTDeathMatch and added support for a variable number of teams. All works well enough, I just never really finished the shaders and some of the player/vehicle elements.

That said, I'm so involved in the invasion mod I'm probably not going to do anything else with the framework as far as multiteam games go for now, but I'd really be grateful if you could give me a hand with the shaders, just as far as listing what areas of the code you had to touch to set them.

I want to fully support team colors because in invasion I made the team colors configurable and the defaults are Yellow and Green. (Yellow/Monsters in slot 0, Green/Players in slot 1, so red and blue are overwritten.) I had the hud and a lot of elements updated, but things like vehicles and players skins are still left to fix.

If you could point me to some of the spots you had to touch I'd be very grateful! Thanks.

Catalyst
12-31-2007, 10:49 PM
Alpha Version 0.1 has been released, go test it for me, my evil minions! MWAHAHAHA! (http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=596192)

EDIT: Oh, and happy new year ;)

batman_darknight
01-08-2008, 12:43 PM
will try it out ryt now! thanks. happy new year to you too catalyst

Uncommon
01-08-2008, 05:55 PM
As the original author of CTF4, I'd love to see it on UT3, but unfortunately my modding time is much more limited these days. So if anyone else is working on it, I'd like to at least participate as a beta tester.

Catalyst
01-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Will be sure to let you know if I or anyone else ends up doing CTF4 :)

TheIronKnuckle
04-26-2008, 02:35 AM
progress????????????

Coreper
04-26-2008, 04:48 AM
how is the mod going?
i always loved the 4-team gameplay [especially the big maps and perfect teamplay needed]
is there already a final release coming up?
*is there is, i apologize for not having read all pages...

EDIT:
lol, i just read Catalyst's post [like 5 posts or something above mine]

Yoshi_last
04-27-2008, 08:39 AM
ya im not shure if anyone noticed this but when i was trying it out the bots some of them just dont realy like atacking each other they mostly atack red and sometimes blue im not shure why realy but they just do

Catalyst
04-28-2008, 03:19 AM
ya im not shure if anyone noticed this but when i was trying it out the bots some of them just dont realy like atacking each other they mostly atack red and sometimes blue im not shure why realy but they just do

Thanks for letting me know, I'll add it to the list.