PDA

View Full Version : Some new tutorials

Hourences
11-28-2007, 01:36 PM
I have released a set of three new UE3 tutorials on my community website:

http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3faq.htm - Editor FAQ
http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3terrain.htm - How to create a terrain
http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3phys.htm - How to apply basic physics to an object.

I have 15 other UE3 tutorials available on my website: http://www.hourences.com/book

Enjoy :)

KewlAzMe
11-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Thank you Hourences! I was hoping you'd be adding some level design input now that the game is out! :)

3leggedFreak
11-28-2007, 01:44 PM
I love you, keep 'em coming. :)

NiteX
11-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Wow you're a life saver man, most of these tutorials are just the things I have been looking for. However, I did not see a skybox tutorial. I know how to make the basic layout itself with the seperate brush and what not from the original level, but where is the option for the skybox camera?

Hourences
11-28-2007, 03:50 PM
There's not a whole lot to say about a skybox so it is rather hard to write a tutorial on it.
A skybox is nothing more than a (or multiple) really large staticmesh actor around the whole level. The old idea with a skybox cube and zoneinfos and all can't be done anymore in UE3. Or actually it could, but it would have a large impact on perfomance so while you can, you don't want to.

Meroin
11-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Hourences, I've been using your tutorials and loving them, but I'm stuck on the terrain one. When I'm at the texture-appliacation stage, I can't get my two layers to appear properly. I've been fidgeting around with whick material goes on which layer, but I can't get a consitent result.

I had to make my own material, because the swatch I wanted to use was a texture. Now I go to apply it and it doesn't appear as the default texture, and furthermore prompts me to add another layer as soon as I click OK on the first. Even when I do this, no texture appears.

So I suppose as clarification, what does the layer/material heirarchy in the Terrain window look like, expanded, for just two layers (one base grass and another alteration)?

T@F
11-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Nice one Hourences :D
Any chance of doing a step by step guide on a small map.
So us thicko`s can get our head around adding textures,finding the textures we need ect.

TheRealDeFo
11-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Nice one Hourences :D
Any chance of doing a step by step guide on a small map.
So us thicko`s can get our head around adding textures,finding the textures we need ect.

I second that. A step by step guide would be great. Thanks for what you've already done!

NiTrOcALyPsE
11-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Oh, Hourences! Nice man, good to see you're still here.

Jonny
11-29-2007, 05:19 AM
Thankyou very much Hourences :)

Giblet
11-29-2007, 01:48 PM
Terrain eh?

Thanks man. :)

Hourences
11-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks all :)

Maybe I will write a complete "your first level" tutorial one day, but it's not a priority for me. A 'your first room' tutorial anyone can write, I'd rather cover the slightly more complex subjects than extreme beginner tutorials.

At the top of my list are currently Lighting and a small tutorial on the foliage actor.

Will be releasing my GOW level next week, and I'll also release near final screenshots of my 100 percent custom UT3 DM map.

Probot
11-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks!
Your tutorials have always been excellent, i've been looking forward to your input on UED3.
Thanks again.

Bware
12-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Awesome work m8!!! Thanks a bunch! :D

sargebx
12-02-2007, 12:46 PM
hey Hourences i like your tutorials they have been a big help i am now stuck on how to make things break i want to make walls crumble and glass windows break maybe you can give some attention to this subject or point me to someone who has already written about it

Hourences
12-02-2007, 01:21 PM
If it's a simple wall and window, I would do it the Unreal 1 way. Make a window mesh that is just a simple sheet, when it gets destroyed you move the sheet away really fast, or you toggle it to an hidden state, and you spawn in a particle system or a number of physic meshes on the same location, which fall down. If you do this really fast the player wont notice the original mesh disappearing, and the broken pieces suddenly appearing.

You don't neccy need to destroy the original mesh, it's all about the illusion that it is destroyed, while in fact it may still be in one piece and you've only moved it out of sight...

Ekt0F0rm
12-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Those tutorials are great! Like your other tutorials too. :D

sargebx
12-05-2007, 03:45 PM
that sounds simple enough thanks alot Hourences

MeepZero
12-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Hourences is my H3R0!!

Discmage
12-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I don't even need any of them and I see the usefulness in them! Actually I have to modify that...listing all the materials applications and what they do will be a godsend when I want to start doing crazy stuff with materials.

And I will no doubt need other when I come across them. I think I might put your address in my signature (with credit where its due of course. eg. not mine!) it seems like such a good resource! If thats OK with you of course.