PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Unreal Rush (Race gamemode)

DS3
11-27-2007, 04:20 AM
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7243/utlogoao1.jpg

Hi, folks!

I'm going to introduce my gametype idea. (I can make it by myself but i still need help in unrealscript)

Idea:
Players starting game in specified vehicles and driving across the map to finish it.
Map could be linear(with checkpoints), circle or any form you want.

Gamemode statements:
* Weapons are removed
* NO hoverboards until its race with them
* Frags are changed into "points". Each map has some points to win(you get them for driving over a checkpoint)
* Of course, you still could frag and opponent with vehicle weapons but it will give you nothing(point are only for checkpoints)
* Point limit = map checkpoints so if you finish map, you'll win.

Difficulties which i have ATM:
* Players must start race in one moment(don't know if min players will help)
* Players must start race IN VEHICLES and respawn in them
* Players must be unable to score multiple times with same checkpoint.
* Don't know how to deal with different max score for each map.

About maps:
* They should be BIG. I mean REALLY BIG. They will have less details than normal maps in order to keep fps at desired level.

Unreal Rush(Later - UR) will have NO:
* Fragging on foot and weapons
* Bot support(i still thinking about this though, but it will require much more coding)

Plans:
*** BASIC(Internal Alpha Version) ***
-Create racing gametype with no weapons and some maps
*** ADVANCED(Public Beta) ***
-Synchronize player start
-Deal with checkpoint problems
*** DREAMS ***
-Add some kind of show(Players can see themselves after "you've win" so they could taunt as much as they want :D )
-Add new vehicles
-Add single player and "rally" mode with time records

Anyone are welcome to join if you are:
-Programmer (We need to change gameplay as we want)
-Mapper (Very self-explainable. We will need racing maps.)
-Want to participate in testing (Not now. Then first alpha builds will come :D )

Thanks. Any comments are welcome.

I'm going to ask for separate forum at www.unrealtournament3forum.com or somethere later to organize all the stuff.

luau.design.df
11-27-2007, 04:55 AM
Hey, man

The Race idea is always very nice...

After read your post, I got some thoughs about how to make this project easier to do, by using more of the orignal game (and your proposal is a gametype not a TC mod), ok lets go...

• no need to make (too many) maps: assault, deatchmatch (checkpoints = replace some pickups with your checkpoint pickups, persistents, on foot races), onslaught (from a power core to another, passing by many power nodes... replace mantas and raptors the players will need to get out of vehicles to get the powernodes... change them, make each track with a diferent vehicle), CTF and VCTF (that's already a race, no many changes...)
• many laps can replace the need for large maps... in non-circle maps, the players will need to come back using the same patch, and fight with other players that are going yet...

* by using native maps your mod will have many more maps, and with the quality they came from Epic Games...

other things:

• if the game be released with an Invasion gametype, you can place monsters by the way...
• no need to put the weapons out: gametype mod not TC, why do you want the unreal gameplay out? ;)
• you can also make a team race (remember bombing run?)...

I dont need to confuse you man, I hope it all be helpfull! good luck...

DS3
11-27-2007, 06:50 AM
Thanks for reply.
Actually, i DON'T mind using standart maps but it will lead to difficulties.
1 - Maps ARE SMALL.(Even WAR ones)
2 - There is no defined map borders. This means player could find some expliot or unpredicted way to finish it. This will be cheating.

if the game be released with an Invasion gametype, you can place monsters by the way...
no need to put the weapons out: gametype mod not TC, why do you want the unreal gameplay out? ;)
you can also make a team race (remember bombing run?)...
(1)
Then i say UNREAL RUSH i don't think normal race mode. Actually players will have not only finish map but stay alive as well.
I'm thinking about traps like turrets, lava rivers and, of course if i can, monsters(Like Star Wars 1(or 2) "campers" on hills in race episode)
(2)
About weapons - i just don't want to see players abusing others by shooting them all the time(there is always such a noobs)
(3)
I don't understand that means "team race". Could you explain?

Taboen
11-27-2007, 07:01 AM
Team race is that 2 teams would be battling eachother instead of free for all battle. The fastest of 1 team sets the time for the team and so does the fastest one of the other team.
Team race has a advantages:
- clans could battle eachother
- You can make maps where you need a teammate boost in order to make a certain tricks, more teamplay.

And a disadvantage:
- Maps need 2 identical raceways instead of 1.

The difference between Bunnytrack in 99 and Trials in 2k4 was also that Bunnytrack was teambased. That was the reason Bunnytrack made its way to clanbase ladders and even cups. Definitely make it teambased.

Khainegom
11-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Doing it wrong. Go work with the assault gametype people. I guaruntee that if you make this mod it will be dead within a year. We don't need seperate game types for every variation of assault. Put your ideas in the asault thread and ask hyperforce about it all, he is trying to organise a team for assault. Assualt will never get done if everyone splits up to make niche gametypes.

DS3
11-27-2007, 01:30 PM
I don't want assault. This will be different gamemodes. Like DM and CTF.

Khainegom
11-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Idea:
Players starting game in specified vehicles and driving across the map to finish it.
Map could be linear(with checkpoints), circle or any form you want.

That basically is assault, but without weapons.

luau.design.df
12-01-2007, 05:46 PM
I don't understand that means "team race". Could you explain?

as in bombing run, the race is about the "bomb" not about the players, if a player holding the bomb crosses the finish line, it is a victory... but it only work on foot races...

curtainrod
12-11-2008, 07:05 PM
heres a good idea, how about adding a map with the game type that looks like the daytona 500 super speedway? huh?

TheAgent
12-11-2008, 07:24 PM
apparently he was banned.