PDA

View Full Version : LadderVolume WallDir

jbizzler
11-24-2007, 09:02 PM
I think i found a major bug. In UnrealEd, you can't set the WallDir of a LadderVolume, and in script, it sets the WallDir to the volume's rotation, which seems to be 0,0,0 no matter what I do in UnrealEd. Any ideas? If not, I'm making my own subclass that fixes this.

VerteX
11-24-2007, 09:29 PM
there's still ladder volumes???? :O

Hawkwise
11-25-2007, 01:04 AM
I was playing with ladder volumes and couldn't even get em to work Jbizzler. Did you?

frogspasm
12-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Yes, they do work. Just place a ladder volume against a wall that's directly to the north (+X) of the volume. It doesn't work in any other direction. I haven't tried it against anything other than BSP, but it should work against static meshes with collision.

Bret Hart
12-24-2007, 12:00 AM
lol another missing feature

Ekt0F0rm
12-24-2007, 11:26 AM
lol another missing feature

Meh... I never used ladders in 2k4 and I will most likely not use ladders in UT3. Could be wrong though. :)

-=TD=-DEMON
12-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Yes, they do work. Just place a ladder volume against a wall that's directly to the north (+X) of the volume. It doesn't work in any other direction. I haven't tried it against anything other than BSP, but it should work against static meshes with collision.

Well, I tried for over an hour to get a ladder to work - with NO results. I followed every tutorial (2 I could find - SAD!!) and no luck with either if them. Does the ladder volume have to be a specific width/depth in order to work? - I didn't go thru every iteration of 16/32/24/48 . . . .etc . . .I did use 64X64 as this would encompass the entire ladder . . .does the volume need to accomodate the UT3 players body (ie; 96X96 for UT3 player and then the volume size??). I just cannot figure out what I may be doing wrong. . . also, if you do have a working ladder - can anyone place the how-to on how you did it and please include pics so I can see placement?? I have a great map I am working and I would much rather use ladders than Jump-pads (which supposedly don't work either - tried real quick and it didn't work, but I didn't spend more than 10 minutes on it as it should have been very easy (if like UT2K4)). Any way, thanks in advance for any help with this . . .

SteelerWolf
12-29-2007, 07:37 AM
I too have been trying to get ladder volumes working but gave up in the end and decided to take a look at the code for them and came up with my own work around.
I havn't tested it online nor have i tested the Auto Ladders but here are a couple of links to my version of the ladder volume if anyone needs it :

Mod Database. (http://www.moddb.com/members/steelerwolf/downloads)

It's crude but works for the purpose i need and it may be of help to somebody else.

Once installed the Volume shows up in Unreal Editor in the Add Volume options, Look for SW_LadderVolume.
The Volumes WallDir can then be changed in Unreal Editor via the new Ladder Volumes properties under SW_Ladder > NewWallDirection.

Install/Usage instructions etc are in the ReadMe, Good Luck.

Edit: FileFront download link removed.

SteelerWolf
12-29-2007, 07:49 AM
Here is the code i used, Comments by me :

class SW_LadderVolume extends LadderVolume placeable;

var(SW_Ladder) rotator NewWallDirection;

// From Epics LadderVolume:
simulated event PostBeginPlay()
{
local Ladder L, M;
local vector Dir;

Super.PostBeginPlay();

//WallDir = Rotation;

// This is where NewWallDirection is passed to WallDir.
WallDir = NewWallDirection;

LookDir = vector(WallDir);
if ( !bAutoPath && (LookDir.Z != 0) )
{
ClimbDir = vect(0,0,1);
for ( L=LadderList; L!=None; L=L.LadderList )
for ( M=LadderList; M!=None; M=M.LadderList )

if ( M != L )
{
Dir = Normal(M.Location - L.Location);
if ( (Dir dot ClimbDir) < 0 )
Dir *= -1;
ClimbDir += Dir;
}

ClimbDir = Normal(ClimbDir);
if ( (ClimbDir Dot vect(0,0,1)) < 0 )
ClimbDir *= -1;
}
}

defaultproperties
{
}

SEBASTIEN-NOVA
12-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Thx for your work SteelerWolf !

Just a litle question :
If I use your ladder in a map I create, I need to put the .u with my others map files when I want to share it ? (I think the answer is "yes" but I want the confirmation;) )

SteelerWolf
12-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Yes Sebastian you will have to send my package out with your map as far as i am aware ... their is probably a way to embed it in a map file but at the moment i'm just messing around with the editor trying to get used to it before i begin a map so i'll check out things like that later. Hopefully Epic will fix the Ladder Volumes at some point or somebody will figure out a much better way to do it than i have.

SEBASTIEN-NOVA
12-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Ok, thx :)
I hope too Epic fix this stuff ... any many more...

SteelerWolf
01-01-2008, 03:13 AM
Just a little update - I was reading a tutorial yesterday and their was a little note in their about "Cooking" Packages. According to the notes i was reading, When a map has been Cooked it seems that *.u files get Cooked into the package at the same time. If this is true you might not have to package my LadderVolume up separately in a zip file (like ut2004).
Maybe somebody with a little more mapping experience can elaborate on it a bit more ?

-=TD=-DEMON
01-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Just a little update - I was reading a tutorial yesterday and their was a little note in their about "Cooking" Packages. According to the notes i was reading, When a map has been Cooked it seems that *.u files get Cooked into the package at the same time. If this is true you might not have package my LadderVolume up separately in a zip file (like ut2004).
Maybe somebody with a little more mapping experience can elaborate on it a bit more ?

I will take a look at this when I get home from work today - I will try a quick test map and cook to see if it works and I will post here the results (am way busy today but will give it my best shot - :) )

SteelerWolf
01-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Thanks for that Demon :D

SEBASTIEN-NOVA
01-02-2008, 04:29 PM
If it works as you say demon, it's awesome !
I wait for your confirmation...

-=TD=-DEMON
01-04-2008, 10:41 AM
I am sorry guys - but I did not get a chance to work this when I got home yesterday - was overwhelmed with stuff I do not want to discuss here - but let's just say that I WILL look at this before Saturday night this weekend as I need to know this info as well . . . I won't let you folks down . . .

SteelerWolf
01-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Nice one, Thank you Demon :D

-=TD=-DEMON
01-04-2008, 05:39 PM
OK folks - here's the deal - the ladder works fine - excellent job SteelerWolf!! Now, about the .u file. If when you cook (Publish) the map, it is going to ask you if you want to save the packages. If you say Yes, the .u file will publish with the map and you won't have to include the file. If you say No, then you have to send the .u file and they have to place it in the correct folder. So far, I believe that by doing that over and over (saving the packages) to your existing package files - that they will corrupt over time as it seems when you say Yes it saves all the packages back to the original packages and then adds the other packages to it, OR, it is doing it to other files that eventually get large enough to get corrupted. I do not know if that is TRUE, however, that has been my experience, twice now, since I started mapping with UT3, the maps over time were getting large - and eventually after cooking them a number of times, the maps would NOT load to continue to build them. I also could NOT go back to earlier versions of the maps and get them to load so I could restart to determine the problem. So, my rule would be that you add your ladder meshes or whatever, but don't add the ladder volume until you are ready to Beta or finalize the build, OR, if you add the volumes as you place the meshes, don't continuously build the map to test them. That is what I am going to do. Now, to avoid you the trouble I went through - or to make it easy for you - when you add your volume place it against your building, then go to the top view and you will see the Red arrow pointing up - UP=0 - Right=90 - Down=180 and Left=270, and any variation in between. Enjoy, I know I will - :D

SteelerWolf
01-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Thank you very much Demon for your investigation, Very interesting point about the code currupting after cooking & makes me wonder if this happens with any other modified code or if it's just something in my ladder volume thats causing the problem, I will have to look into it a little further.
I have been looking at the ladder volume code again to try and get the pinkish coloured arrow to move around and show the direction that's been entered but i can't seem to find a way at the moment due to my lack of knowledge on the way Objects work within the code but i'll keep trying and report back if i have any success.

Anyway, Thanks very much Demon for checking this all out your feedback was great & i'm glad my ladder volume worked ok for you. :)

-=TD=-DEMON
01-05-2008, 12:09 PM
. . . . . . .Very interesting point about the code currupting after cooking & makes me wonder if this happens with any other modified code or if it's just something in my ladder volume thats causing the problem, I will have to look into it a little further. . . . . .

No, has nothing to do with your code - this happened BEFORE I did anything with your stuff - I was just saying in general to not cook your maps all the time to test while building - seems on especially large ones - that the files seem to corrupt, when the packages are saved. That is when it seemed to happen to me - twice - with 2 large maps - one I think may have had to do with the number of volumes - not sure - and the other I am not sure at all - they just blew up and now I cannot get any part of the maps to be worked on and built at all. So, just as a cautious measure when building maps - don't constantly publish them and save the packages - no problem without saving the packages - at least so far - :). Oh, and I wouldn't worry too much about the pink arrow - who cares as long as we know which direction to place the volume with the proper degree entered . . . I wouldn't sweat it. Besides, wouldn't hurt to make people use their brains once in a while instead of the point and click no thinking method . . imo anyways . . .:D

EDIT: Side note - after my maps blew up - I had to completely uninstall and reinstall UT3 - so, again, just a warning.

delyon
02-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Hey gang,
I've tried to make a ladder just like you have. Some of you mentioned being able to do it just fine so long as it pointed "north" and was against a wall. Mine doesnt even respond then. When I buildall it puts the 2 mini ladders in it but the overall volume doesnt do anything.
Am i cursed or just missing something.

SteelerWolf
02-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Demon, Thanks very much for your help, Sorry it's took me so long to get back to replying but home lifes been a bit hectic for the last few weeks.
Anyways, Now i have more time i'm gonna start work on a map so your feedback will be very usefull, Thanks again.

To deylan, You don't say if your trying to use the standard Epic LadderVolume or my own custom version of it, So a little more info would of helped ;)

delyon
02-23-2008, 02:13 AM
Demon, Thanks very much for your help, Sorry it's took me so long to get back to replying but home lifes been a bit hectic for the last few weeks.
Anyways, Now i have more time i'm gonna start work on a map so your feedback will be very usefull, Thanks again.

To deylan, You don't say if your trying to use the standard Epic LadderVolume or my own custom version of it, So a little more info would of helped ;)

Yes i'm using a standard ladder volume. Noting special or tricky. I can point around the mini arrows but i cannot get the main volume's direction to go anyway but north.

Kornswag
11-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Yes i'm using a standard ladder volume. Noting special or tricky. I can point around the mini arrows but i cannot get the main volume's direction to go anyway but north.

I suggest you read the post before posting, might help with your issue..:rolleyes:

Kornswag
11-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Works like a charm, nice job Steeler =)

SteelerWolf
11-18-2008, 02:09 PM
I suggest you read the post before posting, might help with your issue

Errr, your actually responding to an old-ish post their but hey, glad you got the ladder volume to work ;)