PDA

View Full Version : GoW/UT3 Unreal Design Community (UDC)

CrysAk
11-20-2007, 05:27 AM
GoW/UT3 Unreal Design Community (UDC)

This is an Open invitation to any skilled and dedicated Modders , Designers, Artists and Programmers to join a friendly community where everyone shares a single passion.
Unreal.

New to game development or not, dedicated and professional people alike are all welcome.
This is not strictly development team, nor is it an open forum but something in between where talented developer’s; eager to improve themselves can chat, work and play together with anything to do with GoW and UT3

Primarily the community is for one of the most important aspects of development, Testing and Feedback.
We are looking for people who are willing to not only offer up they’re creations for feedback, but also to test and give positive critique on others to further improve the quality of user created content for GoW/UT3.
Be it a level, mutator, piece of art or TC mod, they all need feedback and that’s where I hope UDC can excel.

If you’re interested, there’s no “sign up sheet” as this isn’t a formal team, simply stop by our IRC channel
irc.quakenet.org #unrealdesign (irc://irc.quakenet.org/unrealdesign)
(if you are unsure about how to connect, please read the post below, its very simple)
However, if you would like to play a more important roll and help out in anyway possible, feel free to send me a mail/pm or chat with us in IRC.

There are several advantages IRC has over a forum, but the most distinct are the fact you can chat in real time with other people without the disadvantage forums have of clogging up with 100s of threads and being able to setup servers for testing/sending/sharing files and receiving feedback almost instantly from other users.

Obviously this is going to be a little slow with active members over the next few weeks, but I hope soon we can flourish into a community where you can simply post a msg in IRC and have active members ready and willing to help in anyway possible.
As we are currently just forming, it would be a huge help if we can get ppl to idle in the channel to encourage others to stay when they visit. Hopefully we can have a full fledged positive community in no time ^^

Thanks for reading and hope to see you joining in

Forums/Website/Vent will all be setup in the near future for interaction with members in different time zones maximizing efficiency of the community.
Also this Topic will be posted in the UT3 forum a few days after the EU release of UT3, this is when the community will really begin to pick up

Chris

CrysAk
11-20-2007, 05:27 AM
IRC Setup

Description and Install
IRC is basically an online chat program (think multiplayer notepad)
All it requires is an install of the “mIRC” client found here
http://www.mirc.com
This program is extremely easy to install and requires very little resources to run on any PC. It is also perfectly capable of running in the background while using other programs with no performance hit what so ever.

Once you have it installed, on first execution your are prompted to enter you details (name/email/username etc)
Once this is done your set to go…

Connecting to IRC Channel
Simply type the following in the “Status” window to join the server.
/server irc.gamesurge.net
Then… once its connected, type the following to join the channel.
/join #unrealdesign
A new window should open and your set ^^

Additional Features
Also, if you’re not too keen on the look of mIRC you can download “scripts” which alter the visual presentation and also have a more user friendly graphical interface, so if you’re thinking of sticking around I highly recommend you use one.

They can be downloaded from here
http://www.mircscripts.org/
Personally I use “NoNameScript” and highly recommend it as it’s very easy on the eyes ^^

Chris

R_Diaz
11-20-2007, 06:13 AM
This sounds interesting, I might stop by. There's nothing better than an afternoon of Unreal editing while interacting with fellow mappers to help and get help. :p

SportingSCP
11-20-2007, 08:57 AM
hehe, it's ben over 4 years i don't have mirc installed :D well ill get it

CrysAk
11-20-2007, 09:05 AM
good to see got some interest and ppl in channel already ^^ thanks guys
if it continues this way should have an active community in no time :D

ill sort us out a vent server a few days after UT3 EU release so we can start hosting some playtest sessions for everyone ^^ if theres any ppl out there who are up for making a website for us that would be great also (im a tad rusty sinse the days of dream weaver lol) same goes for forum ^^

Chris

Snake
11-20-2007, 04:53 PM
I'll hop in when I get home :)

NakhtiUT3
11-21-2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah I will definitely be stopping by at some point ... but I can't say when exactly ... especially with the game just getting released and it being the holidays and all.

Crozz
11-21-2007, 07:26 PM
We've had lots of fun already. I recommend hanging out in there, you dont have to chat all the time just so you can see and drop into the discussion if you feel like :) Just remember timezones, some are regular at different times..

aoteg
11-22-2007, 09:30 AM
i'm happy to help out how do i join the community

CrysAk
11-22-2007, 09:34 AM
just stop by IRC :P not much else to it lol ^^ theres a few of us in there at the mo chattin about Unreal if you wana join in :)

if you wana do a little more than that, send us a PM and can talk some more regardin ops/website/forums etc

CrysAk
11-25-2007, 03:22 PM
hey guys, just advertised on UT3 forums and so far we already have a tight community of active ppl

also we are moving the channel to irc.quakenet.org (original post has been updated reflecting this, as has my sig) this is due to the ammount of users on quakenet relative to gamesurge and also we have a fair few ppl that are usualy on quakenet, joining gamesurge purely for this channel

Chris