PDA

View Full Version : X-Fi and OpenAL audio problem?

RaptorZX3
11-18-2007, 09:17 PM
i tried with the OpenAL on since i have my X-Fi XtremeGamer, and i noticed there are more-or-less frequent "clicks" when sounds plays in-game, it can happen more when there are a lot of sounds happening, i dunno exactly...

but since i disabled OpenAL in-game, it seem like this problem happen a lot less often, like...rarely.

i had on-board Realtek AC'97 before (before installing the X-Fi drivers, i disabled the on-board sound in my BIOS)

can it be that the OpenAL engine in UT3 have some bugs?

i played Crysis demo after this and i didn't noticed those tiny "click" sounds, i also played some other games like Live For Speed, no "click" there either.

larsdidriksen
11-19-2007, 07:54 PM
thats a known nvidia driver problem. update to beta 169.09 and see if that fixes it. Or roll back/upgrade your X-fi driver

[FfFC]_-(MAD)-_
11-20-2007, 02:44 AM
On your A8V you have to press ctrl-alt-entf short after you have turned on your rig the first time. (After the first signal) Try if this solves audio-problems. I have the normal A8V, and even if you have a newer chipset, it might be, that your chipset doesnt initialise the soundcard correctly after cold boot. I have to do this every time. if not, pops and crackeling with my X-FI, and my SCSI-Controller is gettin slow.

RaptorZX3
11-20-2007, 03:08 AM
hmm i have a question, is AsusUpdate good to update the BIOS?

by the way, Creative is really lazy with their drivers, the last Windows XP update is from a year ago!

[FfFC]_-(MAD)-_
11-20-2007, 05:13 AM

by the way, Creative is really lazy with their drivers, the last Windows XP update is from a year ago!

Install Vista drivers. At the creative froum, search for a user called fffcmad ;). In one of the latest post from him, you will find a manual how to install the newest vista-drivers in XP. The newest Vista drivers will support EAX and Directsound in XP. So dont be scared.

BIOS Updates wont help, install them for bugfixes, but dont expect that the X-FI would run fine after it.

larsdidriksen
11-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Bios updating through windows is NOT A GOOD IDEA. Several people have fryed there Bios doing this, (my self included, mine was salvageable that g..). For Asus use a USB pen along with the EZflash bios feature if you have it. Otherwise floppy is the way to go. But i agree if you dont have a reason dont flash your bios. clicks and odd sounds are often the result of "other data" going through the same channels, in windows 3.11 days (yes I’m that old) it was almost always due to IRQ and DMA interference (you can look it up, but its not important) today this is configured automatically, but sometimes a driver glitch can cause these problems, this seems especially true for x-fi and even more so for X-fi and Nvidia drivers in conjunction. Did you clean out your old drivers? (use a utility like drive cleaner) both Nvidia AND creative leave residual driver files, that are not always removed with uninstall, that can cause havoc. Im not an expert on this, but i had the same problem with an early audigy card, drive cleaner and new drivers fixed it. but x-fi seems to have inherited this problem on a grander scale.

kray28
11-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Yeah, never update a BIOS through Windows....

EZFlash + floppy
or Get the actual flasher utility + bios binary + DOS boot files, and boot up from floppy.

Respen
11-20-2007, 04:25 PM

NEVER use asusupdate. If you go to the asus forums, you'll see that it turns at least 75% of asus mobos into paperweights. either update via bios or the old fashoned way with a bootable floppy.

Mouton
11-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Didn't this X-Fi crackling bug, old news and that it only happened on some NF4 boards? If I remember well, Nvidia said there was no way to fix this.

Never update ur bios through Windows. Everytime I did it, even if I did all the good steps 1 by 1, it killed my bios.