PDA

View Full Version : Google SketchUp and UT3

UT2004Addict
11-17-2007, 04:06 AM
Heh -- maybe I should change my username, eh? :)

Anyway, just curious (AND VERY HOPEFUL!) if there is an easy port from the AWESOME Google Sketchup into UT. I understand that it probably has to go through a standardized format first, but hopefully that can be done through a nice open source program like Blender, and with minimal hassle.

Considering the RIDICULOUS ease of use of Sketchup, I would hope the UT folks would see it as an "easy win" to bring in outside 3D stuff.

Thanks folks!

UT2004Addict (er, whatever. :) )

alto
11-17-2007, 07:00 AM
Sketchup is like... UT99 detail, I would reccomend 3ds max as a 3D modelling program.

KingLollo
11-17-2007, 07:31 AM
Take a look @ Blender.

I know I know, people tend to say its bull****, but it really rox.
The UI isnt that easy to learn, but it's really worth it.

And by the way it is free......

JaFO
11-17-2007, 07:34 AM
3ds max may be 'better', but it also is too expensive ( it's $3495 !!! (http://store.autodesk.com/servlet/ControllerServlet;jsessionid=b6a72e0f4d9646d896bef e9cc7058f93?Action=DisplayPage&Currency=USD&Locale=en_US&SiteID=adsk&id=ShoppingCartPage) ), unless you are a professional designer it just is easier to use the warez-variant or free tools like Maya Personal edition ...

karmatized
11-17-2007, 02:14 PM
maya all the way.

Mr_Rose
11-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Unless you want to purchase the pro version of sketchup, you're not going to get a standard file out of it as it only saves in its own proprietary native format otherwise, and I don't know of any converters.

Beyond that, consider Blender on its own; it is a fantastic piece of work and a joy to use (with no "for a free program" type qualifications: Blender is awesome) and it's only an eight megabyte download.

Or you could go for Maya PLE (which may well come bundled with UT again, not sure though) which also has a fairly nice interface, as well as being very powerful, but it's huge.

3DSMax I won't touch personally. Can't stand the interface, can't find half the tools and the ones I can find don't work the way I expect them to. YMMV though....

UT2004Addict
11-18-2007, 04:14 AM
Thanks to all for the fast and thorough responses.

I was just hoping for a quick and dirty tool to throw some very simple vehicles together, or edit vehicle skeletons / meshes already in the game. I have no 3D experience or education, so Blender looks like a great start to me.

Anyone have experience porting a vehicle from Blender --> UT? (2004 or UT3) I hope they smoothed out the import process in UT3, 'cuz I couldn't even get a Maya PLE "brick" into the game. :(

Patarak
11-18-2007, 05:40 AM
THIS IS A HIJACK! PUT YOUR HANDS UP!

If you can do models on stuff like blender, how does one add things like headboxes and walking animations and such?

.:Tr@ceR:.
11-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Go here:

http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/

That will be able to do everything you will most likely need. You can import models from it into the UnrealEd. You can make models, rig characters for animations, add textures, and the whole nine. There are plenty of good tutorials out there too that can teach you how to use it. :cool:

Arson
11-18-2007, 02:40 PM
3DSMax I won't touch personally. Can't stand the interface, can't find half the tools and the ones I can find don't work the way I expect them to. YMMV though....

Your the first person I have ever heard say that max has a worse interface than blender. Blender is good, but they need to standardize the interface if they want more people to use it.

Dark.Revenant
11-18-2007, 10:11 PM
I personally prefer 3dsMax, but it is not the easiest program to get used to. Try them all out and see what you like.

KewlAzMe
11-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Go here:

http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/

That will be able to do everything you will most likely need. You can import models from it into the UnrealEd. You can make models, rig characters for animations, add textures, and the whole nine. There are plenty of good tutorials out there too that can teach you how to use it. :cool:

What about things like Normal & Bump mapping? Adding scars and ripples to characters? Can Blender do that? or do we need a program like mudbox or zbrush?

Patarak
11-18-2007, 11:50 PM
I thought unrealed is just for mapping. Cool.

faultymoose
11-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Maya PLE (Personal Learning Edition) is free, fully functional, and other than slapping a watermark over your renders, completely compatible with previous UT modding tools and likely to work with UT3. Hears hoping, anyway.

Or do what I did and buy Maya :/

Xyx
11-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Maya PLE doesn't support lighting fully, does it?

.:Tr@ceR:.
11-19-2007, 02:43 PM
What about things like Normal & Bump mapping? Adding scars and ripples to characters? Can Blender do that? or do we need a program like mudbox or zbrush?

Blender does have normal and bump mapping. It's normal mapping is still a relatively new feature so it's not as perfected as other software. It also has a sculpt mode that lets you sculpt models similar to the way you can do you in zbrush.

Six Ways
11-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Blender will do absolutely everything you need for UT3 (and unless you work for Pixar, everything you need to produce professional quality anything) and is free. It's not really as hard to learn as a lot of people say, and it's getting better all the time in that sense. I was personally considering buying the student version of Maya until I started using Blender.

Trust me - learning Blender is one of the most worthwhile things you can do in 3D modelling/skinning/animation/whatever, because it's always going to be free and you never have to buy the next upgrade. Learn it once, you're sorted literally for life. Maya PLE is great, but at the end of the day it's hamstrung, so you end up wishing you had the full thing.

However, for baking normal maps (and I recommend this to everyone) get xnormal. Easy, painless and amazingly good, for something that's free or something you've paid for. It does a ton of other things besides bake normal maps. www.xnormal.net

So, my answer - make your low poly models and sculpt your high poly models in Blender, bake your high poly models to your low poly models in xnormal.

EDIT: And don't touch 3ds Max :p

Denny
11-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Six Ways - When you can give me a painless plugin/pipeline on getting my static meshes and characters with animation from Blender to UT3, I'm going to concider it. Because as far as I know, what good is it to make things for free when it's not compatible in any way?

I know Blender is good, has a really weird interface, but it has tons of features to help me make what I want. But if I can't get it to UT3, what good will it do for me?

Arson
11-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Sometimes when you don't have the cash you have to do a little extra work.
You can do the animations in blender, then import into Maya ple and export with actorx.
Or you can send the files to someone with Max and have them export for you.

If someone needs something exported for UT3, just message me.
I'll be more than happy to do any file conversion you need.

ant2732
11-22-2007, 01:44 AM
you can use sketchup to model and import into unreal

there is a great video tut here (http://www.russelllowe.com/tutorials_index.html)
also the plugin for sketchup

[ss]Bison_Boy
11-22-2007, 04:58 PM
anyone here use milkshape? The price is good and I know that they try to support UT actively.

UnWheelModeller
11-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Blender version 2.43 has a built in .ase export script, so any mesh exports into UT3. Optimus from the Omnip)o(tentS clan has coded a .psk exporter that worked for RoboBlitz; http://www.p-fat.net/Opti_PSK_Dump.zip . The map below was built entirely in Blender. http://home.mchsi.com/~steve.horton/wsb/html/websiteTitleC.jpg

GIJOEJK
11-23-2007, 11:44 PM
3ds max may be 'better', but it also is too expensive ( it's $3495 !!! (http://store.autodesk.com/servlet/ControllerServlet;jsessionid=b6a72e0f4d9646d896bef e9cc7058f93?Action=DisplayPage&Currency=USD&Locale=en_US&SiteID=adsk&id=ShoppingCartPage) ), unless you are a professional designer it just is easier to use the warez-variant or free tools like Maya Personal edition ...

You can get an academic version of Maya for around $300, if you are a part time or full time student...

Ikaros
11-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Blender version 2.43 has a built in .ase export script, so any mesh exports into UT3. Optimus from the Omnip)o(tentS clan has coded a .psk exporter that worked for RoboBlitz; http://www.p-fat.net/Opti_PSK_Dump.zip.[/IMG]

I've messed with Blender working through a few modeling tutorials. I think its pretty neat. Since Maya 7 PLE doesn't have a plugin I don't have any other non-expensive choice what to use to model with. I really miss the pre-UT2004 days when you could model everything in UnrealEd. But I realize technology has changed since then. I would like to see something in tutorial format to guide me through how use Blender to export/import with UT3 properly plus working in UT3 /Blender mesh scale sizing back and forth.

Lord Vipes
11-24-2007, 03:46 PM
maya all the way.

Same here, thats what Epic used for UT2k4, UT3, and so am I

alto
11-24-2007, 06:01 PM
I thought they used 3ds max. Learn sometihng new every day.

Unknown Target
11-25-2007, 01:00 AM
To get the topic back on track, I beg to differ that Sketchup is UT99 in detail:

http://people.rit.edu/~jtp4753/imm/projects/project2/images/slide8full.html

So is it possible to use SU for UT? Anybody know? I have the full version, so I can export to a different format than .skp, I just need to know the conversion process.

ScottUT
11-25-2007, 06:40 PM
To get the topic back on track, I beg to differ that Sketchup is UT99 in detail:

http://people.rit.edu/~jtp4753/imm/projects/project2/images/slide8full.html

So is it possible to use SU for UT? Anybody know? I have the full version, so I can export to a different format than .skp, I just need to know the conversion process.

Well someone would have to create a file exporter for UT3.
No professional companies use Google sketchup, and I dont think epic expected anyone to want to map using sketchup.

As for blender, when I have some down time, Ill check it out.

Unknown Target
11-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Pro architectural companies use Sketchup, no pro game studios though :(

ant2732
11-26-2007, 05:05 PM
check out this site http://www.russelllowe.com/tutorials_index.html

download the .ase exporter

and then watch the video on the left

easy as and you can use the free sketchup

Unknown Target
11-26-2007, 05:11 PM
The only thing that I'm having problems with is I can't find that specific window where I import the static mesh in UT3Ed (the static mesh one he uses in that video, I'm looking in the Generic Browser for it, am I doing it wrong?)...also, what's the player scale in UT3? I assume it's bigger.

marilol
08-08-2008, 06:44 AM
ok, i was wondering if any kind of actorx plugin was working for sketchup?

btw, character is approx 128 uu = 88.5 inches = 7.375 ft

HardPCM
08-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Delete me 1

BoneFish
09-09-2008, 07:03 PM
This exporter is great to have, playing around with it now, but as I'm new to using the Unreal editor, not sure what the results should entirely be, but a great resource.

I'm curious if anyone has tried to go to Unreal through the collada exporter. I'm able to import collada files I've exported from SU, but the problem is the collision mesh first, and textures. I've not tried a lot with textures, but can't get a collision mesh in from SU. Any thoughts anyone?