PDA

View Full Version : Importing into GoW UnrealED from the UT3 database

Leblanc
11-16-2007, 06:30 PM
First of all I should sincerly state that i just fell in love hopelessly with the Unreal Engine 3. Mostly because it looks and runs exceptional in my book. The engine itself determined in me the change to switch from a simple player to a mod editor. Yes, it's not easy, but if there's a will, there's always a way. After a few days of watching and reading tutorials (I highly recommend for newbies and not only, the cannedmushroom's EXCELLENT tutorials (http://www.veoh.com/users/cannedmushrooms)), I already have the information to build a basic outoor level with lighting, cover and AI. (And damn, that Kismet looked so scary!). So yes, I am pretty excited, as one can see, even if there is still SO MUCH to learn.

Now, since both GoW and UT3 are build on the same engine, I was wondering if it will be possible to import meshes, materials, skyboxes or other things from the Unreal Tournament 3 game.

If it actually would be possible, the possibilities to create more unique and original mods, maps and additional content to the GoW game would simply be incredible. And I am saying this because I already have a mod project in mind - just like alot of people here, I'm sure - but it would be impossible to set it to reach my high expectations without using UT3 data.

Thank you! :)

Darth Axel 007
11-16-2007, 07:22 PM
It is technically possible, yes. Not the other way around though.

skullKrusher101
11-17-2007, 03:03 AM
Nope, I already tried this, apparantly the UTIII demo was actualy complied on a slightly newer version of the engine than gears of war. And the gears editor wont let you import packages from even a slightly different version. So, so far its not looking likely.

Leblanc
11-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Sounds discouraging. Too bad then...

In this case the only hope that remains is an updated GoW editor.

Crozz
11-17-2007, 07:59 PM
When we get the UT3 editor I think it's likely that if the packages as a whole don't work you could export each model to a standard 3d format (as you do with stuff from 3d modelling progs) which could be imported in the GoW editor. This is only a guess though.

CrysAk
11-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Hey.. replied to this but my internet cutoff

just wanted to say Skulls correct about moving files between differnt versions of the editor

basically, Unreal cant open any of its files that are more than 1 version away from it... its damn annoying having to resave EVERY package when a new build of the engine comes in, sucks :(

also you might be able to export some game models from unreal intoa 3d format (maybe even the textures also) but this is highly dependant on the game in question andhow extensivly they have modified the engine / disable/enabled such features

for example you cant export a model from GoW package as its been "cooked" but you can export if not.

ModderX
12-25-2007, 11:50 AM
And how u can enable or disable this features for exports the model, textures and animations??