PDA

View Full Version : Map Idea

Widunder
11-14-2007, 10:11 AM
I have an idea for a multiplayer map and I'm just looking for some feedback and tips on this idea.

It's a pretty small, simple, map in which the players should be able to get into the action almost at once. Matches played on this map would be very, very quick since the players meet up almost at once and there is no real place to hide for camping. I did a small sketch that you can look at here below.

The Gray areas are coverable areas like walls etc. The text speaks for itself. There will ofcourse be props and stuff on the map for simpler cover and for visual purposes. The brown areas are ground. I haven't decied on distances yet but it won't be far between the spawnpoints at all, so I guess it should be about 100-150 meters between the spawnpoints. I haven't decided on the theme yet, but it will be an indoor map.

http://student.gamemaker.nu/~marham050/stuff/GearsOfWar_Map01.jpg

Tell me your thoughts on what ever comes to your mind, this was a pretty quick and simple idea and I haven't thought it through that much, I just thought the structure and the flow of the map could be fun to play. And oh, it's a Team Deathmatch map.

CrysAk
11-14-2007, 10:33 AM
nice ^^

might be worth thinking about z axis (hight) add some of that in like...

a dip across the centre of the level (E->W)
or
a dip across centre (N->S)
or
the centre passage N-W is high with a tunnle running undernear it

and youl be on your way to a pretty nice level ^^

(resists urge to do an extemely similar level before he releases...)

SportingSCP
11-14-2007, 10:54 AM
If this was my map id do this
add a higher floor in the middle with stairs and the arrows are climbing spots ;)

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7754/gearsofwarmap01replycopru9.th.jpg (http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gearsofwarmap01replycopru9.jpg)

Or wait until people give you enough info and mix it up! :cool:

Snake
11-14-2007, 04:53 PM
The lures present a bit of a different gameplay style than Gears traditionally supports - the grenades lure players to the side and the sniper rifles lure them to the center but they're both fairly close together. This is what I like to call a "clusterf***".

Keeping with your idea of fast-paced symmetry, I would place the two sniper rifles on the sides, and place a grenade spawn in the center. You want players to duke it out in a bloody brawl, but placing the sniper rifles in one spot so close together you give players no chance to maneuver - the sniper would die soon after getting his prize.

Grenades aren't - in my opinion - a big power weapon, they don't guarantee a kill. They're more of a lure for new players who think they are, or skilled players looking to embarrass someone. Grenades would still work fine, but a Boomshot may entice players more.

The side cover shouldn't hug the wall, players should be able to turn left or right off of the cover - this gives the players more options, and possibly some more uncertainty as to where they should maneuver next giving the map some more room to move even though it's small.

I think it's a good idea either way to add some more Z-axis; raising the middle portion seems like an elegant way to do this by creating a little mesa.

Overall it looks pretty cool, sort of like an Iceworld for Gears.

KIWIDOGGIE
11-14-2007, 05:12 PM
Nice, Just thinkin about runnin thro there...hehe Nice Idea you should try it.

Widunder
11-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Thank you everyone for the feedback and tips! It really helps, so keep it coming :D.
I will think this map through a bit more and then start to build the actual map.

And btw, funny that you mentioned "Iceword" Snake, since I'm building a version of that old Counter-Strike map already ^^. Almost done even since I don't take it too serious, I wanna go on to my own maps. I will post the Iceworld-map as soon as it's done so you guys can try it out.