PDA

View Full Version : The Unreal User Interface V2 [pics]

Felerian01
11-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Name: The Unreal User Interface V2
Compatibility: UT3
Description: The concept is to re-do the userinterface completely in a way that it is very functional (fast & easy) including some mindblowing eyecandy. If all works well, we might include a new Server Browser aswell
Comments: Until now this is more or less just concept work because were not 100% sure if UT3 will allow us to re-do the UI, as in UT2kx it was forbidden to do so.
Screenshot: See quotes from older thread.
Credits: traumatism, Taleweaver, Xenocide, and myself :p (no credit for epic this time...)
Homepage: coming soon - when its done
Download: coming soon - when its done

Here 3 Quotes from the Demo Feedback Thread so you know how it all started out:

I was just fooling arround and this was the outcome.

This is how i would appreciate it :P
Ofcourse there also could be different themes added, because i am sure some like it bright, some like it dark.

Tell me what you think?
Click to see full Size

http://felerian01.de/download/UBrowserS.JPG (http://felerian01.de/download/UBrowser.JPG)

Here, added the following one for Emmet Otter *g*

http://felerian01.de/download/UBrowser2S.JPG (http://felerian01.de/download/UBrowser2.JPG)

Edit: Ok, here is the one i want for my UT3 :D
Took me some time but i think its nice :)

http://felerian01.de/download/UBrowser3bS.JPG (http://felerian01.de/download/UBrowser3b.JPG)

A very nice post from Taleweaver about the Menu can be found >>here<< (http://forums.epicgames.com/showpost.php?p=25041368&postcount=529) in the feedback thread

This should be better. I quickly retouched the OP's image.
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/485/ubrowserretouchedoc5.jpg

you git! :P

i have just done the same thing and im adding some other thing to it that could become useful. just waiting on a font from felerian so i can keep it flowing

simplicity was better for it in my opinion. saved alot of loading time when starting up the game as there was less to load into it.

here is an unfinished look atm with everything showing up (will edit into a gif later when its finished.):

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4585/ubrowser2traumazb2.th.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ubrowser2traumazb2.jpg)

input is welcomed. so are ideas

http://felerian01.de/download/Splashdude.JPG

brdempsey69
11-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Man, oh man. I hope you guys can pull it off. This game needs it -- BADLY !!

Sir_Brizz
11-13-2007, 07:07 PM
They honestly all look like turds.

xerus
11-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Just get the graphic design quality up to par and you have yourself a menu thats 10,000x better than the default.

digerati
11-13-2007, 07:36 PM
I have been a serious Unreal player for years, and a lurker at these forums since I tried the demo because I am seriously concerned about the direction UT is heading. I saw this topic which gives me hope that I might actually enjoy UT again and had to register. I say worry about the artwork later, just give us a basic menu, something, anything to use first!

KewlAzMe
11-13-2007, 07:48 PM
that menu is actually pretty awesome... and useful.. the graphics in the menu are as good if not better than the crap graphics in-game so this would be a plus.

Sarge-David
11-13-2007, 08:40 PM
i would love it for epic to notice this user mod (a few days after the game became somewhat public) for the next verson hehe

anyway hope you can do it, would benifit the game, also make sure settings stay the way you set them too!

brdempsey69
11-13-2007, 10:01 PM
They honestly all look like turds.

What, are you blind ? The last one looks pretty darn good to me. And it looks a hell of a lot more functional than the UI we have now.

To Felerian01 and crew, please ignore all the naysayers and carry on with this, because if you are successful, a lot of people will be very grateful.

stephen_wq
11-13-2007, 10:48 PM
I love it, uwindows is great.

Please please let the modding capability allow this, even from the concept sketches.

Epic fails to notice its a problem when there is a redesign project within days of release.

Rehevkor
11-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Awesome all around. I sincerely hope you will be able to do this, but given the UT3 presentation so far, I wouldn't be surprised if the UI is hardcoded and unchangeable.

Whoever approved the current UI as suitable for a PC release should be fired. Interface design is inherently linked to the platform on which the interface will be used. A UI that works great for a gamepad WILL NOT work nearly as well for a mouse and keyboard. The existing UI shows a near total lack of understanding with regard to well established and documented software user interface guidelines and principles. Let's see some of that trademark Epic polish on the UI, shall we?

Wail of Suicide
11-13-2007, 10:58 PM
I like the idea, so I'm eager to see where you guys go with this. I'm liking the third screen so far the best, but I think, in general, a sharper, cleaner looking interface could be made from scratch.

One brief suggestion: Don't make the windows one uniform red color.

Kura
11-13-2007, 11:02 PM
nice one :) if you pull this off your gunna be amongst the most popular people in the world for us UT fans :)

Hedge-o-Matic
11-13-2007, 11:11 PM
I'd break online compatibility for this. The UI is that bad.

Henrik
11-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Honestly, I kind of agree with Brizz although maybe I wouldn't put it in such words .. ;)

I realize the need for a new UI, but I'm not sure you realize what's involved in actually redoing a UI & doing floating windows like those that exist in your shots.

Feel free to try anyway. I made the uWindows menu for UTR and am planning a new UI for UT3 among several other fixes, good luck with yours though..

UndeadRoadkill
11-13-2007, 11:25 PM
I'd break online compatibility for this. The UI is that bad.

Hey, if that ends up being the case anyhow, I hope the autthors of a new UI can add-in support for choosing bots and customizing the player for offline play.

[FfFC]_-(MAD)-_
11-14-2007, 12:18 AM
I hope this new UI will be ready soon, because i will get the speciall edition next week. HRHR

The Ut3 Menu is extreme bad, and drives me mad because its for konsoleros, not for PC- user who needs flexibility and fast navigation. Your new UI looks like Ut99, so its cool anyway. ;)

Crotale
11-14-2007, 12:44 AM
The red is too bright, too much and way too annoying. Might I suggest a theme similar to this one. (http://www.acliffhanger.com/UT2007/ut2k7gbb10.jpg) Yes, I know it's the old logo and wrong name, but the texturing and coloring are a more believable combination than the OP's versions.

Bret Hart
11-14-2007, 01:25 AM
The red is too bright, too much and way too annoying. Might I suggest a theme similar to this one. (http://www.acliffhanger.com/UT2007/ut2k7gbb10.jpg) Yes, I know it's the old logo and wrong name, but the texturing and coloring are a more believable combination than the OP's versions.
That one looks better to me.

sinx
11-14-2007, 01:54 AM
If you go into Design Mode on the Beta Demo UI (ie Ctrl-Alt-D etc...), you can see that it has pretty much the same components as the UT2Kx UI (with some additions). I think as far as modding the UI goes, you should remove any idea of re-implementing a uWindows interface for the moment and stick to basically relaying out the current UI in terms of pages and controls so it resembles more of the UT2K4 layout. A lot of complicated stuff requires native coding in C++ and that's just gonna cause problems. (Bersy is right!)

For example, they've stuck that red band across the middle of the Config Pages and limited all the controls to a list there, so when the number of controls goes past the bottom of the red band, then you get the fun game of scrolling through options. Yuck! IMO the video options screen should have all controls visible at once. See UT2K4 Display Options Page.

Obviously a major issue that can't be forgotten is screen resolution. Too many badly laid out options get borked on lower resolutions. This is probably a MAJOR reason why we have ended up with a UI that looks a lot like it does! - with regards to the fact that it needs to run on a console. You shouldn't underestimate the problems of varying Screen Resolutions!

If you are going to attempt a UI redesign then you should keep it simple at the moment. Just use the space a lot more wisely and keep away from second guessing the user (eg "Are you sure you want to start the games", or "Are you sure you want to quit the game?") Navigating around the options should not be as complicated and it shouldn't be as easy to get lost.

Sir_Brizz
11-14-2007, 02:19 AM
I like the idea, so I'm eager to see where you guys go with this. I'm liking the third screen so far the best, but I think, in general, a sharper, cleaner looking interface could be made from scratch.

One brief suggestion: Don't make the windows one uniform red color.
The look is just god-awful. I wouldn't use something themed like that over the current UI, and that is saying something.

I'm one of the few people that wasn't a big fan of UWindows. It's not good for a game interface. It's great if you're a hardcore gamer, but drop into the casual gamers and they find themselves confused. Then you add the fact that with all the floating windows you end up clicking around just as much as you do in the current theme, and you find yourself in the awkward position of having made things as bad or worse for no reason.

I'd rather if someone were going to mod the UI that they actually make some effort to do something original. Based on the screenshots in this thread, the UI mod will look like turds and I won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

[FfFC]_-(MAD)-_
11-14-2007, 03:07 AM
The old windows menu is fast, direct and comfortable. Dont get ur point...

Henrik
11-14-2007, 07:58 AM
I liked uWindows, but yes we have a powerful new system now which I have begun looking into. I feel I've just barely scratched the surface, but it is worth saying - whatever you thought you knew about how the menu system worked in 2k4, you should probably try to forget. Okay well not quite, but it is implemented quite a bit differently now, and the process of modifying it, while it may be simpler in the long run, is not quite a cakewalk until we get some solid documentation...

sinx
11-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Yes, I've seen a few things re the UI components that have caught my eye and I await to see if this will either make my life easier or hell. So far atm I'm feeling positive (or at least trying to be positive) about the outcome, bar a few unanswered questions.

CrysAk
11-14-2007, 09:27 AM
best of luck with this dude, alot of people will probably be using this (includeing myself) so please dont cut any corners ^^

traumatism
11-14-2007, 09:41 AM
thanks for the feedback guys.

to the people who are against it, dont use it. we aint gonna force you to use it. its a choice.

to the people who are for it. all your input will be very appreciative towards creating a good looking menu. i say good because of one thing. since when does someone spend most of the time on a game, looking at the menu system.

if it is that we can make this possible and create a decent UI for the menu system then we will do our best and try to create something to suit every ones needs. hell if its possible we could create a few different versions and/or ask people to design a few colour schemes for it (of course you will be credited). if it is we cannot create the floating windows, so be it. besides the windows are not floating as such. its more like an info box that pops up when you hover over the icon on the desktop. anyway, as i stated before. all input into the menu system is wecome, but if you want to flame and cannot back up the reason it should be changed and so forth then please do not post a response unless you can back it up. we would like to keep this thread peaceful and structured.

Cobi^^
11-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Referring to this picture: http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ubrowser2traumazb2.jpg

You added a player-list there. That´s fine but not quite complete. You could include further info like (individual) ping, team (in case it is a team-game) etc. table-like. I always found these infos usable. ;)

Btw.... is there something like an IRC-channel of you guys where I can drop by to suggest or discuss new ideas?

zenwretch
11-14-2007, 12:51 PM
IMO, there's still too much unused space on all those screens. I want to see all space utilized with either options to set or useful information to see.

Also, the design.. the look.. is far less important than the functionality. I would shy away from making a bright red screen with blood splatter and painterly look like they did in Epic's version. It's hard on the eyes. And, to tell you the truth, the worst thing about your re-done screens is they remind me of Epics.. they give more info and options, yes, but they still look like they're trying to follow the same graphic theme. I say go as far away from this as possible, if nothing more than everyone hates epics version so much you want your to look nothing like it.

Make it look like a metalic, industrial control board, instead of a Sin City cartoony thing. But, like i said, graphics should be secondary to actual functions. Just plain checkboxes and sliders filling up a screen, with no 'graphics' to them at all would be better than Epics version, or even your re-do, IMO. Concentrate on function.. that's what UT3 PC deserves.

Just my opinion.. good luck with the project... i'm sure whatever you come up with will be 30x better than Epic UT UI.

KewlAzMe
11-14-2007, 02:21 PM
I think we are arguing over semantics now.. who cares what it looks like so long as its useful. Or just make it skinnable so people can load their own jpg in the background and they can all shut up.

Felerian01
11-14-2007, 02:48 PM
please everybody, we dont want to start a war here.
We appreshiate the ideas and ofcourse we know that some will like it and some will not.
As traumatism allready said, those that think its a stupid idea, please feel free to use the original UI.

This project has just started, what means we wanted to show some of the ideas for the UI what i think the screenshots do. And ofcourse, some like the background and some dont, i did not expect anything else.
Thats why i can say:
The "look" is not priority 1... its the functionality.
The look can be changed later ;)

And if Uwindows is not possible, we stick to the 2k4 menu style which is fine too.

Anything is better than what we got right now.

But its nice to see some nice ideas coming from you guys :)
Keep it coming.

I realize the need for a new UI, but I'm not sure you realize what's involved in actually redoing a UI & doing floating windows like those that exist in your shots.

Feel free to try anyway. I made the uWindows menu for UTR and am planning a new UI for UT3 among several other fixes, good luck with yours though..

Well... wouldn´t it make more sense to work together instead of working on the same thing in seperate teams?

ColdfireRik
11-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Tnx m8 good job!!!

Henrik
11-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Well... wouldn´t it make more sense to work together instead of working on the same thing in seperate teams?Perhaps, but forming another team isn't what I need right now, I'm working on it as a personal project to learn UE3 without having to deal with the baggage involved with mod teams.. if you've been in a few you'll know what I mean. Besides, it's not exactly a Total Conversion game, sometimes one person can do it better and faster when it's something relatively small and focused, like a menu system.

AgouraSteve
11-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Excellent work.
This is better then the menus in the Demo by FAR.
Kudos!

Flou
11-14-2007, 05:03 PM
It will probably make everything really SLOW because it's going to be object based programming to get those pull down menu's or to reach them all from one source.

[FfFC]_-(MAD)-_
11-14-2007, 05:11 PM
On a Dual i80486DX2-66 maybe ;)

db|mak
11-14-2007, 05:16 PM
I really like your ideas with the menu. It looks great and I hope it turns out. However, I have a bone to pick with the following image:

http://felerian01.de/download/Splashdude.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_and_an

Using proper articles is cool, I swear. :P

zenwretch
11-14-2007, 05:33 PM
just the second 'a' needs to be an 'an', btw. Just so you didn't change them both and then still be wrong.... :)

Felerian01
11-14-2007, 05:38 PM
your right :p

fixed it *g*

Emmet Otter
11-14-2007, 05:57 PM
It really is sad that epic is leaving their monstrocity of a UI to a band of devoted fans to have to fix, it really is! Instead of leaving their fans to work on cool mods and maps, hardcore fans are left with trying to figure out on how to improve and fix their game.

I don't care how any of these look. As long as it functions great with tons of features that are easy to access without a gazzillion pages. You will most certainly have my download and a big hug and thanks as i'm sure many other will appreciate it:)

I wish I knew how to do this sorta stuff myself. Good luck guys!

*note to epic* If any of talented these guys pull off a fully functional kick ass UI, don't forget to send them a big phat paycheck!!

SwaTz0rs
11-15-2007, 01:03 PM
just found that

Q: I am unhappy with the UI.
A: We're aware that the UI isn't perfect. We're working on numerous improvements and additions to the user interface that will be made available in future updates to UT3.

KewlAzMe
11-15-2007, 01:10 PM
I don't know why they don't just make it XML based... similar to how the dashboard menus are done for Xbox modding.. this way people can make their own custom menus with as many or as few commands that they want in the menus. Just link the command to the actual value in the ini file.

Would also make it super easy for Mod teams to make custom menus for their mods.

Felerian01
11-15-2007, 07:29 PM
just found that
Q: I am unhappy with the UI.
A: We're aware that the UI isn't perfect. We're working on numerous improvements and additions to the user interface that will be made available in future updates to UT3.

im not really sure what to think about it...
i want to play UT3... but i only will buy it with a proper menu and gamebrowser.

So i have two options.
Start making my own or wait 6 months until "maybe" Epic releases a menu that suits me more.

Mhh... i think i will start working on it.
If epic is faster and the menu is good enough, i still can stop.
If it still is sh!t i will keep on working on it.

Or what you think?

IzaFly
11-15-2007, 09:08 PM
....Or what you think?
Considering you will spend 99% of your time in UT3 in an actual map, I'd say buy the game and pray the UI becomes better. :)

KewlAzMe
11-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Considering you will spend 99% of your time in UT3 in an actual map, I'd say buy the game and pray the UI becomes better. :)

NOOO! i buy the games just for The mini-menu games. :P

Ozz_of_war
11-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Ok :D as a game developer in progress (graduating from school next month) here are my comments

1- Good job on trying to make a difference!! - at least we moved on from complaining to helping out and doing something about it

2- As a Photoshop expert i can honestly say i dont like the layout at all, find better non common fonts.. (there are many on the internet google.com / fonts)..something more appealing.

3- I see you guys are going for the ut99 style :D and that is very nice but why not doing something no one else thought before? also we know the base colors for ut3 is black and red but tooo much red doesn't look good base it more on black

But still i love the idea of doing this :D im gonna try to make my own ui tomorrow when i get a free time and post it for everyone to see :D maybe i can add some stuff to what is already done.

Patarak
11-16-2007, 12:17 AM
When do you think this baby will be finished?

IzaFly
11-16-2007, 12:18 AM
All I ask for is something as clear and precise as what 2k4 had. :)

SwaTz0rs
11-16-2007, 01:30 AM
Ok :D as a game developer in progress (graduating from school next month) here are my comments

1- Good job on trying to make a difference!! - at least we moved on from complaining to helping out and doing something about it

2- As a Photoshop expert i can honestly say i dont like the layout at all, find better non common fonts.. (there are many on the internet google.com / fonts)..something more appealing.

3- I see you guys are going for the ut99 style :D and that is very nice but why not doing something no one else thought before? also we know the base colors for ut3 is black and red but tooo much red doesn't look good base it more on black

But still i love the idea of doing this :D im gonna try to make my own ui tomorrow when i get a free time and post it for everyone to see :D maybe i can add some stuff to what is already done.

i 2nd that... good points

Nietzsche
11-16-2007, 01:58 AM
It will probably make everything really SLOW because it's going to be object based programming to get those pull down menu's or to reach them all from one source.

Sometimes, especially when you don't have any clue, it's better to just shut up.

Henrik
11-16-2007, 09:09 AM
im gonna try to make my own ui tomorrowReality check? There is a lot you're gonna have to learn first. It isn't the same as making a UI for 2k4.

I have actually made some progress, but it took 2 days of digging around just to really get started - and there are still potential roadblocks I have to figure out.

KewlAzMe
11-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Sometimes, especially when you don't have any clue, it's better to just shut up.

:P good call.

MeepZero
11-16-2007, 01:21 PM
I dont know if this has been mentioned/asked yet. But the idea of the old desktop overlay style from UT99 would be great, where you could still see the action in the game you are playing from the menu area if you were loaded into a map after hitting ESC.

Overlay the top and bottom bar and windows over the stuff going on in the background.

Lostsoul3
11-16-2007, 01:49 PM
It's not good for a game interface. It's great if you're a hardcore gamer, but drop into the casual gamers and they find themselves confused.

Wrong. I was a casual gamer at the time of UT99's release and I loved UWindows.

ValKor01
11-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Ive not been too bothered by the UT3 UI, ive always said i could live with it knowing ill be too busy playing the game to look at the UI. After seeing those pics you have there i hope you can put that UI into the game as id love to get a UI like that in UT3. I cant remember the old UT UI.... yet another hint that i should go reinstall it... Im bored and looking forward to getting UT3, the damn UT manual just turns up in a drawer in the kitchen and in perfect condition (its amazing the spec requirements you needed back then *64mb ram recommended* lol) and now you've got me struggling to remember the UT menu! damn you! lol

*goes off to install UT* hmmm i wonder if i have 605mb (recommended) Hard disk space :p

EDIT:

*sigh*

Running vista and got an error while installing... BOOO!

KewlAzMe
11-16-2007, 02:22 PM
I don't know why they don't just make it XML based... similar to how the dashboard menus are done for Xbox modding.. this way people can make their own custom menus with as many or as few commands that they want in the menus. Just link the command to the actual value in the ini file.

Would also make it super easy for Mod teams to make custom menus for their mods.

I must state idea this again.... Can a custom menu be done to work like this? This would solve everyone's problems.

Simply set xml like:

<Menu>
<Menu1 Name="Main Menu">
<Item name="SinglePlayer" setting="UTGame.StartSinglePlay">
<Item name="Multiplayer" setting="UTGame.StartMultiPlay">
</Menu1>
<Menu2 Name="Advanced Settings">
<Item name="Texture Detail" setting="UTGame.LevelDetailBlahblah">
<Item name="AntiAlias" setting="UTGame.bAntiAlias">
<Item name="Bloom" setting="UTGame.bUseBloom">
</Menu2>
</Menu>

Then people could change it around how they want it, and show as many or as few choices in any menu they want.

Ozz_of_war
11-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Reality check? There is a lot you're gonna have to learn first. It isn't the same as making a UI for 2k4.

I have actually made some progress, but it took 2 days of digging around just to really get started - and there are still potential roadblocks I have to figure out.

i said it wrong. im going to try to make a better visual layout for it. i really dont know the coding part that much. So it will be nice after i show everyone my layout idea get with someone that knows the coding part to work with me :D i have something cool already my friends think is pretty awesome

traumatism
11-17-2007, 08:30 AM
by all means Ozz, give us a look. ideas are very welcome in here.

im just happy to see all the comments given and input on what people want from this. this is after all a community based project to suit peoples needs and what not. any one else with photoshop talents or visual ideas, please give your input.

the visual style is not presently fixed to what we have. we are looking for more ideas, heck if it can be done then i wouldnt mind creating different styles to fit the needs of the user. however like felerian said. if epic decides to change the menu for the better and everyone likes it then we may have no need to continue although i would like to just to have something under my belt for future use in job applications.

please keep the comments and ideas coming guys. it is much apreciated and you will be credited when we impliment the ideas we can.

woooo
11-17-2007, 12:47 PM
They Should Make The Ui Look Like Their Website !!!

Hedge-o-Matic
11-17-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm looking forward to a Meta-UI, to help me organize and juggle between all of the competing user interfaces the community is apparently going to make. Maybe some sort of meta-mutator, like Map Mixer, called User Interface Mixer...

The next Make Something Unreal contest should include a User Interface category.

JaFO
11-17-2007, 04:46 PM
I must state idea this again.... Can a custom menu be done to work like this? This would solve everyone's problems.

Simply set xml like:

<Menu>
<Menu1 Name="Main Menu">
<Item name="SinglePlayer" setting="UTGame.StartSinglePlay">
<Item name="Multiplayer" setting="UTGame.StartMultiPlay">
</Menu1>
<Menu2 Name="Advanced Settings">
<Item name="Texture Detail" setting="UTGame.LevelDetailBlahblah">
<Item name="AntiAlias" setting="UTGame.bAntiAlias">
<Item name="Bloom" setting="UTGame.bUseBloom">
</Menu2>
</Menu>

Then people could change it around how they want it, and show as many or as few choices in any menu they want.
Unless UT3 suddenly understands XML I doubt it's going to happen.
However ther demo-code already hints that various elements in the GUI already are classes that can be configured (there's slider-elements for example).

Also consider that in the past (UT2kx) total conversions have been able to change the GUI. So in essence a GUI-mod would be a TC that doesn't have a new gametype.
// ---

Considering that even Microsoft has a guideline for their .Net apps practically says "pop ups are bad" (they've added a special page-based form in .Net v3.5 just to get rid of such nonsense) I'd say that a UWindows-interface would be something no professional GUI-designer would dare to use in a modern application.
Practically anything is task-based or at the very least context-sensitive (just look at Vista / Office 2007).

Besides ... UWindows was hideously slow when you had a few skins/models installed. It was the #1 reason for my original bot-editor.
The current GUI does a better job on a wide variety of resolutions (especially the higher resolutions), which is something that caused serious problems for the old UWindows-interface in the past (dialogs got ridiculously tiny).

KewlAzMe
11-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Unless UT3 suddenly understands XML I doubt it's going to happen.
However ther demo-code already hints that various elements in the GUI already are classes that can be configured (there's slider-elements for example).

Actually in the user UTGame.ini file, there are these settings:

[UTGame.UTUIDataStore_MenuItems]
ElementProviderTypes=(ProviderTag="MainMenu",ProviderClassName="UTGame.UTUIDataProvider_MainMenuItems")
ElementProviderTypes=(ProviderTag="Settings",ProviderClassName="UTGame.UTUIDataProvider_SettingsMenuItem")
ElementProviderTypes=(ProviderTag="MultiplayerMenu",ProviderClassName="UTGame.UTUIDataProvider_MultiplayerMenuItem")
ElementProviderTypes=(ProviderTag="CommunityMenu",ProviderClassName="UTGame.UTUIDataProvider_CommunityMenuItem")
ElementProviderTypes=(ProviderTag="SettingsMenu",ProviderClassName="UTGame.UTUIDataProvider_SettingsMenuItem")
ElementProviderTypes=(ProviderTag="GameModes",ProviderClassName="UTGame.UTUIDataProvider_GameModeInfo")
ElementProviderTypes=(ProviderTag="Maps",ProviderClassName="UTGame.UTUIDataProvider_MapInfo")
ElementProviderTypes=(ProviderTag="MidGameMenu",ProviderClassName="UTGame.UTUIDataProvider_MidGameMenu")
ElementProviderTypes=(ProviderTag="Mutators",ProviderClassName="UTGame.UTUIDataProvider_Mutator")
ElementProviderTypes=(ProviderTag="Weapons",ProviderClassName="UTGame.UTUIDataProvider_Weapon")
ElementProviderTypes=(ProviderTag="DropDownWeapons",ProviderClassName="UTGame.UTUIDataProvider_Weapon")
ElementProviderTypes=(ProviderTag="DemoFiles",ProviderClassName="UTGame.UTUIDataProvider_DemoFile")

These can be changed around and they do affect the way the menu's work. So I'd say start looking at those provider classes and you could probably add to it.

Loeder
11-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Great !!! to the Threadstarter and modteam, please make an option where you can choose your own background/wallpaper, other then that looks perfect, much like the extremely usefull ut99 UI.

kudos make it happen!

Ozz_of_war
11-17-2007, 09:37 PM
They Should Make The Ui Look Like Their Website !!!

i second that

Hellcat
11-17-2007, 10:22 PM
I have just to wait to the 20th at least - that's when the special edition gets released and that's the one I wanna grab :D
Gotta check how much the game allows the GUI to be changed.... an external "mainmenu" could work, but I'd preffer an "in game" one, since you mostly would have the problem of how to get back into the menu after a match *lol*
Not to mention using the gfx engine for the menu....

Game/Server browser (external) is easy.

Comments: Until now this is more or less just concept work because were not 100% sure if UT3 will allow us to re-do the UI, as in UT2kx it was forbidden to do so.

And yet it had be done - to a certain degree ;)

Felerian01
11-17-2007, 10:39 PM
And yet it had be done - to a certain degree ;)

in 2k4 you could make complete UI in beginning... then epic removed this possibility.... so we will have to wait and see.

Hellcat
11-18-2007, 06:54 AM
There's a way around everything.
Even the first attempts in 2kx haven't been "officialy supported" by the game, more like hacked in....
Damn, hope it's the 20th soon, that I can grab my copy....

JaFO
11-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Actually in the user UTGame.ini file, there are these settings:

[UTGame.UTUIDataStore_MenuItems]

These can be changed around and they do affect the way the menu's work. So I'd say start looking at those provider classes and you could probably add to it.
That's exactly what I was referring to. The names like "ProviderClassName" make me think that it is pretty 'easy' compared to last time.
In fact I'd guess that the difficult part in building a new menu-structure will be the layout. With a windows-based application I'd be estimating at least 1 day per screen/dialog depending on the complexity.

I see two basic problems at this time :
= making the interface scale well on multiple resolutions (you need to go as low as 640x480 and as high as 1600x1200 and probably the odd wide-screen resolutions like 1440 x 900 as well)

= no visual designer available ... which means that you need to sketch and document every single screen before even trying to write code.

iycgtptyarvg
11-18-2007, 02:36 PM
I would really like to see the new GUI be able to start an Instant Action match within 1 screen.
Now we have to do this:
1. Click on 'Instant Action'
2. Click on the gametype
3. Click the map
4. Click next
5. Change the settings
6. Click next / start game
7. Click Ok

This is rediculous and would preferably be reduced to:
1. Click gametype in the 'Instant Action' menu
2. Set the settings (which are remembered between games!)
3. Click Start game button

Felerian01
11-18-2007, 07:19 PM
I would really like to see the new GUI be able to start an Instant Action match within 1 screen.
Now we have to do this:
1. Click on 'Instant Action'
2. Click on the gametype
3. Click the map
4. Click next
5. Change the settings
6. Click next / start game
7. Click Ok

This is rediculous and would preferably be reduced to:
1. Click gametype in the 'Instant Action' menu
2. Set the settings (which are remembered between games!)
3. Click Start game button

you are speaking from my heart and soul... exactly this is what we want to achive :)

simply removing the "consolish" from UT3

GG-Xtreme
11-18-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't like UWindows at all. Throw in an option for UT2k4-styled menus and I'll give you some praise.

faultymoose
11-19-2007, 07:58 AM
Keep the same visual design as the current menu - it's hawt - but the functionality you suggest? Yes please!

AniMuS
11-19-2007, 01:50 PM
the Xenocide one is great!

Hellcat
11-19-2007, 05:18 PM
Well, count me in for a project like this :)
I could also do some GFX stuff....

Looks like this is the very thing I'll dig myself in to, after finally getting my copy and watching some of the video tuts *lol* ;)

The most important thing is, if you replace the menu by changing the according lines in the .INI, are you still able to connect to servers? That was the main issue in 2kx, the server considered you cheating due to replacing core game stuff....

JaFO
11-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Well, count me in for a project like this :)
I could also do some GFX stuff....

Looks like this is the very thing I'll dig myself in to, after finally getting my copy and watching some of the video tuts *lol* ;)

The most important thing is, if you replace the menu by changing the according lines in the .INI, are you still able to connect to servers? That was the main issue in 2kx, the server considered you cheating due to replacing core game stuff....
I'm pretty sure that will happen, because a menu-change = a total conversion with no alternate gametypes/rules.
Your best bet might be to treat it as a TC ... then servers that allow a modified menu can be found quickly and it will be easier to set guidelines/rules for what 'can' and 'cannot' be modified by users.

Felerian01
11-20-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm pretty sure that will happen, because a menu-change = a total conversion with no alternate gametypes/rules.
Your best bet might be to treat it as a TC ... then servers that allow a modified menu can be found quickly and it will be easier to set guidelines/rules for what 'can' and 'cannot' be modified by users.

but thats jerky...

i dont want people to set up servers in the internet "allowing" me to use my user interface or not...

i deside what userinterface i want... and not a few hundred server admins.

NiteX
11-20-2007, 06:19 PM
All of those are awesome I fully support this GUI overhaul.

]NIN[
11-20-2007, 06:31 PM
I loved the original UT interface, everything about it was spot on. I hated the UT2k3/2k4 interface & the UT3 ui is even worse atm.
So anything going back to the original windows style menu's is an awsome move. If it could be exactly like the original UT menu's with a possible facelift that would be perfect for me :)

NiteX
11-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned but please keep in mind different color schemes. I really dislike the red color of the current menu blue, grey, anything besides that red and white.

Sidesh0w
11-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Just posting here to say:
THIS THREAD OWNZ

Sypros
11-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Posting in an EPIC thread...

That looks simply amazing, epic better uses this because they will prolly fail again. No fate, after all the rape they did to my game.

Keep going, stuff like this will save the community.

Wowbagger
11-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Add a History tab that shows the 10 last servers youve visited.

Looks awesome :tup:

ZDragon
11-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Absolutely awesome, kinda UT'99 style. EPIC, plz do this! OP knows definitely more about making a nice UI than the guy who designed those ****ty menus in UT3. I mean, did you ever hear any player say that they preferred the UT3 menus over any other UT menus? Hell no!

AdenTallon
11-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Just wanted to chime in a show support. Really looking forward to this.

sekazi
11-21-2007, 09:31 PM
It would be great if epic could do this and then include a option for the console type menu so they do not have to force the uwindow on people who do not want it.

btw I want Uwindows. Its far superior imo.

Badmagic
11-22-2007, 08:00 AM
I have deliberately been away from the forums and stopped reading pretty much anything to do with the game since about a week or so after the beta demo launch.

I come back now the week it’s due to ship (UK) and find pretty much everything that many people were making noises about has either not been changed or simply ignored?

Tagging the thread so I can get the repaired menus when they are done.

Psykomanius
11-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Oh boy. oh boy.
If this one come out, you will save me from insanity :-P
We need this one !!!

Major A Payne
11-22-2007, 08:55 AM
im not really sure what to think about it...
i want to play UT3... but i only will buy it with a proper menu and gamebrowser.

So i have two options.
Start making my own or wait 6 months until "maybe" Epic releases a menu that suits me more.

Mhh... i think i will start working on it.
If epic is faster and the menu is good enough, i still can stop.
If it still is sh!t i will keep on working on it.

Or what you think?

In my own view, this menu layout originally posted would prove to be more user friendly. Its a well known fact that almost every UI thats been edited or remade tends to be of better quality than the original, or even a remake that the dev team themselves do. Thats why alot of time they tend to hardcode much, so that editings cant take place.

I look forward to this release, but please can we remember to include all the base set of options plus some enhancements.

KewlAzMe
11-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Look I agree that the menu needs work.. but this thread is getting a bit out of control... like someone mentioned a few pages back.... we are spending a lot of time whining over something that you use maybe once of twice for less than a minute.

The game is what you spend your time on, not the 3-7 clicks it takes to join the game.

Epic has commented that they know the UI needs work.... let them give it a shot.

Shut the hell up and play the damn game.

Sypros
11-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Look I agree that the menu needs work.. but this thread is getting a bit out of control... like someone mentioned a few pages back.... we are spending a lot of time whining over something that you use maybe once of twice for less than a minute.

The game is what you spend your time on, not the 3-7 clicks it takes to join the game.

Epic has commented that they know the UI needs work.... let them give it a shot.

You clearly are clueless.

Its not because of its format but because of the loads of options that arent there. You clearly play this game casualy thats your full right but some us wish to go harder on it and that requires some advanced options. This UI will not open up allot of new options because the commands are simply not known or unable to be reached, so in that aspect your right that we should not look at how long it takes to navigate true the whole thing but play the whole thing. After all epic themselfs will be the ones that will do the harder stuff .

NiteX
11-22-2007, 09:24 PM

It's because of people like you that we have a damn console ported menu to begin with. Thanks for encourageing crap. Great job!

decoy26517
11-22-2007, 10:18 PM
It's because of people like you that we have a damn console ported menu to begin with. Thanks for encourageing crap. Great job!

/win

On another note, has anyone been able to find out how to import our own custom images/UIs? UTgame.ini seems to have the most menu options but I really do not know how to make sense of it all :(

Patarak
11-22-2007, 10:33 PM

While I really didn't think that the UI was that bad, and that I could live with it, you really are encouraging crap. Arn't players allowed to register their dissapointment? If you don't have a problem with it, that is fine. But don't force others to pretend to like it as much as you do.

Wanker.

KewlAzMe
11-22-2007, 10:35 PM

lol i was owned

I never said I liked it.. nor did I say this thread wasn't needed.. but it was done being needed after the 3rd page when Epic finally said they would try to fix it. The point was made... now let it die. Instead we got every n00b who just got the game coming here saying the same sh!t
"Ya great idea the menu sucks, I can't believe Epic released this"
"Ya agree"
"ya the menu sucks.. it needs work"
"Ya this menu is crap.. someone should say something"

It's just a bunch of retards that read the first post and then reply without reading the rest to see that it is already being addressed... so its the same damn post over and over.. enough *****ing.. go play

decoy26517
11-22-2007, 10:56 PM
but it was done being needed after the 3rd page when Epic finally said they would try to fix it.

Well yeah people did spam the "great idea", "blah blah blah" thing alot, but it is really important to figure out how to change the Menus not only to improve on it, but also for total conversion moders who want to do a bit more with the engine.

Crotale
11-23-2007, 02:56 AM
Well yeah people did spam the "great idea", "blah blah blah" thing alot, but it is really important to figure out how to change the Menus not only to improve on it, but also for total conversion moders who want to do a bit more with the engine.There is this little tool called "Unreal Editor" that comes with the retail game...

Shifted
11-23-2007, 04:04 PM
great job uwindows looks good

Cuddles
11-23-2007, 04:58 PM

Imo this is the best backround for UT3s menu, classic. Maby abit darker, but still worn out look, to fit the Necris theme and a big Unreal U logo in the middle...............

Badmagic
11-23-2007, 05:07 PM
lol i was owned

I never said I liked it.. nor did I say this thread wasn't needed.. but it was done being needed after the 3rd page when Epic finally said they would try to fix it. The point was made... now let it die. Instead we got every n00b who just got the game coming here saying the same sh!t
"Ya great idea the menu sucks, I can't believe Epic released this"
"Ya agree"
"ya the menu sucks.. it needs work"
"Ya this menu is crap.. someone should say something"

It's just a bunch of retards that read the first post and then reply without reading the rest to see that it is already being addressed... so its the same damn post over and over.. enough *****ing.. go play

Some of us don’t have the blind faith in EPIC that you’re displaying or do you expect people to just trust they will return the functionality that people are looking for on faith?

I would rather the guys that are working on this project continued as until EPIC do release a "fix" it means nothing when they say they will look at the menus.

They were apparently fixing the FOV problems that were being brought up for discussion and locked/deleated for months prior to release until the more recent public beta demo when the volume of people talking about it made it harder to lock/delete discussions on it, as with the inteface, once it is corrected then and only then it will be case closed.

decoy26517
11-23-2007, 05:11 PM
There is this little tool called "Unreal Editor" that comes with the retail game...

Unreal Editor allows the changing of the menus? I thought it was only for levels. Where in the editor does it allow you to change the menus?

GoodAndy
11-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Just messing around.
http://newkinddesigns.com/crap/uwindows/ut3_menu_preview1.jpg

Unreal Editor allows the changing of the menus? I thought it was only for levels. Where in the editor does it allow you to change the menus?

Epic has mention that we will have much more control over the UI this time around. I don't know where they said it, sorry. But I have been going through files and it doesn't look like it would be all THAT hard.

KewlAzMe
11-23-2007, 06:48 PM
@GoodAndy..

Is that a Start menu ala WinXp? Click on the "U" and it opens up like windows?

That technically wouldn't be bad.

GoodAndy
11-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Actually that is just me using Photoshop, but that was the idea. If you press escape, you get the little background with that button. Click on the button (or maybe press the Windows key?) and it slides open with a sweet sound effect (like a chopping sound or maybe the sound you hear when you navigate through menus in the current UT3 UI). Mainly I was just playing around with what I've seen to make a better bar at the top (which didn't turn out good) and to touch up a few problems in the graphics. (I sure did use the parenthesis a lot.)

Or maybe you press escape during gameplay and it pauses the gameplay, fades it to a red color (but still displaying the game so you can hop back in and still know where you are), with the horizontal menu up at the top.

Tides
11-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Epic screwed up so bad and left us with a seemingly console grade menu system and this one looks EXACTLY how they should of done it. I absolutely HATE clicking through a bunch of different screens that have to LOAD. What a disappointment...

I hope this comes to fruition!

[YS]Alienz
11-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Oh wow...the third one that keeps the moving 3D background of the default menu but puts the Uwindows in...now THAT would be something impressive to have.
Ya pull this off and the game is PERFECT.

Modulus
11-25-2007, 01:28 AM
Brilliant... Just brilliant.

Any way to add a list of who's playing in any specific server?

This could be big... Maybe we can get Epic to include it in a patch.

Hellcat
11-27-2007, 04:10 AM
Is anyone actually working on this already, or is this still just brainstroming?

Hyperforce
11-27-2007, 08:44 AM
If you go into Design Mode on the Beta Demo UI (ie Ctrl-Alt-D etc...), you can see that it has pretty much the same components as the UT2Kx UI (with some additions). I think as far as modding the UI goes, you should remove any idea of re-implementing a uWindows interface for the moment and stick to basically relaying out the current UI in terms of pages and controls so it resembles more of the UT2K4 layout. A lot of complicated stuff requires native coding in C++ and that's just gonna cause problems. (Bersy is right!)

For example, they've stuck that red band across the middle of the Config Pages and limited all the controls to a list there, so when the number of controls goes past the bottom of the red band, then you get the fun game of scrolling through options. Yuck! IMO the video options screen should have all controls visible at once. See UT2K4 Display Options Page.

Obviously a major issue that can't be forgotten is screen resolution. Too many badly laid out options get borked on lower resolutions. This is probably a MAJOR reason why we have ended up with a UI that looks a lot like it does! - with regards to the fact that it needs to run on a console. You shouldn't underestimate the problems of varying Screen Resolutions!

If you are going to attempt a UI redesign then you should keep it simple at the moment. Just use the space a lot more wisely and keep away from second guessing the user (eg "Are you sure you want to start the games", or "Are you sure you want to quit the game?") Navigating around the options should not be as complicated and it shouldn't be as easy to get lost.

I agree, try to make it like the ut2004 user interface, it was easy to navigate and made my life so much easier. I personally don't like the original UT UI layout. I just wish for the ut2004 layouts to come back :)

Deific
11-28-2007, 11:33 PM
I rather look at the quake 1 UI than that, looks like you did it in paint

IzaFly
11-29-2007, 12:16 AM
He could have used poop brown for all I care.

Point is, it is eons better than what Epic gave us.

When is this UI coming out? :)

Hellcat
11-29-2007, 12:21 AM
When is this UI coming out? :)

My key question is still standing:

Is anyone actually working on this already, or is this still just brainstroming?

If noone is already working on it, I might pick it up.
Gotta check how to change the UI at all first tho....

ArPharazon
11-29-2007, 01:47 AM
but thats jerky...

i dont want people to set up servers in the internet "allowing" me to use my user interface or not...

i deside what userinterface i want... and not a few hundred server admins.

I seriously doubt that EPIC will allow modified UI's in standard gameplay anyway because this is one of the ways to load a uscript based cheat - but if they do, then it will most likely be up to the server admin to allow it (or not) similar to the way in which custom voice & skin packs are enabled - i.e. it would have to be loaded on the server to be 'allowed' on the client.

Additionally, anticheats usually check for modified UI's too, so expect a lot of players to be kick / banned for it - even if the UI is "clean".

We should just keep the pressure on EPIC until they finally give us the UI improvements that we want.

On this note: The underlying gui framework is certainly flexible enough to accomodate all 3 UI styles, so EPIC, please give us the option to choose:

- 0=UT3 "new" style [default],
- 1=UT2k3/4 "old" style, and
- 2=UWindows style (for the oldskool UT players).

People could then choose whichever style they preferred and there would be much less complaints :)

Ancient
11-29-2007, 02:34 AM
You sir, are a genious...in the common sense way...the way whoever designed the UT3 interface obviously isn't. I hate to attack someones work directly, but damn it really is terrible, even for a console.
God bless you, or whoever else might bring these plans to fruition so that I can really love UT again.

threeonefive
11-29-2007, 09:48 AM
so when will this be done?

Ultron
11-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Nobody's started on it yet. I think everyone is waiting to see how the current menu will be changed before anyone spends any time and effort on this.

threeonefive
11-29-2007, 06:02 PM
good idea hopefully the UI is complete changed in incoming patches :O

Evilbones
11-29-2007, 08:01 PM
They look loads better than what we have at the moment ^^. And yeh, don't worry about what some people say, I think uWindows will do fine. And lets face it, its very unlikely that EPIC will change the current UI in the near future, or at all.. They have the consoles to deal with, if they had any more input or changes they would have said something by now.

CaptainZap
11-30-2007, 03:12 PM
They have the consoles to deal with, if they had any more input or changes they would have said something by now.

That seems to be the problem.... They don't say ANYTHING.. At most, they delete the comments/threads. :(

NiteX
11-30-2007, 04:24 PM
I truly believe the only way Epic will completely redo the menu is if they release a expansion pack or whole new game like they did with 2003/2004. Other than that all they will do is add more options and try to make it slightly more simple.

Aniukha
11-30-2007, 05:26 PM
OMG, amazing UI... definatly need this!!!... maybe epic might read this post and see how many people like it and decide to re-do it like that. :D... or if not,allow you to continue. If im right, use are trying to recreate it to be like the original UT UI... ??... awsome!!! :D always wanted that back...

threeonefive
11-30-2007, 05:40 PM
i just wish they'd take away te video in the background...it's unnessacary and kills your frames :(

UDstudent
11-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Yup, please!

Interestingly enough, if you google 'unreal engine 3' and scroll almost all the way down, you will find the following.....

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/screens/2k4ServerBrowser.jpg

God forbid the ut3 browser was on there, they probably wouldn't sell much of the engine license ;)

God I miss that browser ;(

KewlAzMe
12-01-2007, 01:00 AM
make the menu like Tomb Raider Anniversay.

Slokop
12-01-2007, 05:28 AM
What, are you blind ? The last one looks pretty darn good to me. And it looks a hell of a lot more functional than the UI we have now.

To Felerian01 and crew, please ignore all the naysayers and carry on with this, because if you are successful, a lot of people will be very grateful.

I fully endorse the above statement. The pictures I see for the new ui are simply superb, it will bring back the old UT'99 functionality.

I would like to see that a user can change the theme of the buttons and background and/or wallpaper like on a desktop environment. And yes I would make mine like UT'99 because of nostalgic feelings, YES I ADMIT IT. :D

casake
12-01-2007, 06:08 AM
i'd give my first born for that UI tbh :p
coz im really getting annoyed by the standard one

BuFFY
12-01-2007, 06:28 AM
The UI can be changed! Just looked at the source.
Dunno if the game will handle it though.

Hellcat
12-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Anyone figured out how exactely to change the UI actually?
What to edit and how to give it to the game?
I haven't really looked at it so far, so if someone already got some answers that would be pretty cool 8-)

UTFrontEnd.ut3 seems to hold it all, got still to check the exported .uc's yet....
Only explored it in UEd so far, already found a few things.... but not the actual UI screens....

[EDIT]
Well, OK, found the .UC's (I think), now I just gotta understand what they do, and how to do something else *lol*

[EDIT2]
HAH! Found the UI scenes as well....
Now I gotta figure out for TWO things how they work.... *lol*

....that has time till tomorrow I think, I'm off for now....
*shutsdownpc*

BigPapa0702
12-01-2007, 08:27 AM
The new interface looks pretty freaking good to me its a lot better than the one thats used now but ya you guys need to suck it up anf give us uwindows

Kry-Vin
12-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Frankly the UI is one of the main big problems with UT3, if gave us options and styles to choose from then it would seriously improve the quality of the game. I don't know whats taking them so long to acknowledge and fix it like.

ShocKWav3
12-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Has any actual progress been made on this modification? It's nice and all to post some concept screens, but have you figured anything out yet? I'd love to see UWindows make a return, but I haven't seen any kind of proof of concept yet.

Hellcat
12-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Has any actual progress been made on this modification? It's nice and all to post some concept screens, but have you figured anything out yet? I'd love to see UWindows make a return, but I haven't seen any kind of proof of concept yet.
I am currently trying to figure out how those UI scenes work....
No promises tho....

Next problem will be to make it in a way that does not prevent you from playing on public servers due to "manipulated game files" kicks....

[YS]Alienz
12-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Hmm...hope you guys figure it out

Xzodus
12-01-2007, 08:30 PM
The interface UT3 has right now should be given to the console weenies, I say this modified interface is efficient, looks good, and it is simple like the old UT99' game (which I assume they took inspiration off of). Good job!

Kankipappa
12-04-2007, 06:03 AM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/Bvran/Preview%20UT%20III/00UTIIICrotale.jpg

This kind of background pic would be good, no? =)

Btw, in the ut1 you could either select to hide or show the background image. So when you had it disabled, pressing ESC just freezed singleplayer action, and on online you could still see action going on while you would be tuning with the settings by the "floating windows menus". Starting the game up without background image "on", it would show "unreal tournament logo" map on the background. :p

I hope that kind of thing would get in the menu, if it's buildable..

KewlAzMe
12-04-2007, 07:03 AM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/Bvran/Preview%20UT%20III/00UTIIICrotale.jpg

This kind of background pic would be good, no? =)

Damn Impressive! Very Nice!

dirkduncan
12-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Damn Impressive! Very Nice!

it's crotale's, pm him to give credits. you should check out the wallpaper thread he made :P there's some real good stuff there...

f00dl3
12-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Since Epic Games is most likely paying Gamespy to use their product, I doubt they will be taking the gamespy element out of the game anytime soon. It would likely be breaching their contract.

Leo Natan
12-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Make a menu like in Stranglehold, where you have an action scene in the background, paused (or slo-moed to death), and each menu change shows you different part of the scene.

Sure, it's consoley, but I liked it very much.

RevanRA
12-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Man. This would be cool. :D

Anyways, relating kind of to the subject. My menu and messages look weird.

Some words not complete and a lot of messages colored with the shadow, but half the word is the shadow. It's weird. Drivers are all updated. Graphics card supports it. Just a general text error.

Would this mod kind of fix those problems while also adding new stuff suggested? Not to sound dumb or anything. I know what mods are so I am not completely in the dark... I'm just wondering if this would help out with the text graphics error. :confused:

oddvorbis
12-04-2007, 09:35 PM
This would make this game so much better..

Dark[NSF]
12-04-2007, 09:55 PM
this thread is GREAT SUCCESS!

but seriously the pc version needs a new menu, UT3 console style menus DO NOT work with mouse and keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

General.Jung
12-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Hello Forum,

;25146476']this thread is GREAT SUCCESS!

but seriously the pc version needs a new menu, UT3 console style menus DO NOT work with mouse and keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree, EPIC should implement this. So they have more time for other upgrades. Will your release a beta version to allow us to give you some feedback.

Nacrana
12-09-2007, 09:10 AM
When its done? :P

IzaFly
12-10-2007, 10:37 PM
11,000+ views.

Will this be created?

xTwist~of~Lemonx
12-10-2007, 10:54 PM
11,000+ views.

Will this be created?

What? It already is created. Just open up one of those photoshopped images, close your eyes and imagine that it actually does something. :)

Hellcat
12-11-2007, 05:39 AM
I already dug myself into it.
I already know where the UI is and how it works....

Only problem is, I can't re-save the mapfile where's it all in (UEd gives me some strange errors).
The plan was to modify the existing UI, so far I'd need to completely rebuild *everything* - I'm way to lazy for that *lol*

Once I can resave "UTFrontEnd.ut3" under a new name, it's almost done....

Modulus
12-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Can you make a copy of the file in windows explorer and rename it? Work on it until you're done, rename it to UTFrontEnd.ut3 and replace the old version?

Maximum_Jason
12-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Man, the UI should have been like this from the start, Great Concept Work Guys!

Hellcat
12-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Can you make a copy of the file in windows explorer and rename it? Work on it until you're done, rename it to UTFrontEnd.ut3 and replace the old version?
Unfortunately no, any attempt to save the file fails. No matter if it's "save" (to the original file) or "save as...".

Insidious1
12-13-2007, 04:16 AM
Please Please Please finish this...... It looks great and much more usable than the current one.. I was a big fan of UT99 and its interface was great.. Thanks a million for the hard work guys!

Maximum_Jason
12-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Hey I had one idea.

Have you guys thought of perhaps an "All-in-one" window design?
What I mean by this is;

Something like a merge between an Excel document, and Firefox.

So you would have one master window (or just the one master screen in general) with tabs representing different menu function's. Once a tab is clicked, the rest of the screen area would have all the option's displayed for that function.

So for example:

Click the multiplayer tab, and you would have you server browser on one side, and the rest could be you connection settings, player settings (not including the model setup) and nick settings all on one screen, with a button to goto the player model setup at the bottom.

I'm not a photoshop guru so I doubt i'd be able to generate an example but, does this sound like a viable option to you guys?

savov
12-15-2007, 11:36 AM
It looks realy good. Cant w8 for release.
Will be released soon? :confused:

Solidus187
12-16-2007, 10:01 AM
this one looks awesome
http://felerian01.de/download/UBrowser3bS.JPG

where did you get that high resolution UT3 logo from??
i would love to make myself a simple wallpaper of just that big logo and a black background

Hellcat
12-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Check the textures in the UI packages, there's plenty of highres stuff in there :)

Sharpshotoo7
12-16-2007, 08:45 PM
i love it reminds me of UT99 but on steroids :D

NiteX
12-20-2007, 12:08 AM
It's sad to say this but by time we could figure this out I can see Epic throwing out an expansion pack or something completely remaking the menu just because of all the complaints. Hopefully if they do throw out something like a 2004 it's free and adds double the game modes and maps.

revel911
12-24-2007, 05:35 PM
But what happens if they don't? Then we are also stuck with the useless junk that exist now. I still would like to see someone make this.

Rehevkor
12-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Given how poor the game's sales have been, I will be very surprised if there's any significant update from this point on. Midway obviously didn't want to spend money on it in the first place (no advertising) so I don't see them funding any major updates.

username2109863423
12-26-2007, 02:18 AM
God, oh god, please fix the UI.

NightEye
12-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Given how poor the game's sales have been, I will be very surprised if there's any significant update from this point on. Midway obviously didn't want to spend money on it in the first place (no advertising) so I don't see them funding any major updates.

Which is why I hop someone here can at least save us from the bad UI.

With a few things fixed thought, could it help increase sales?

NightEye
01-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Any news at all on this? Is it dead and I just have wishful thinking.

SLGDon
01-02-2008, 06:56 PM
is it almost out?

D-Hunter
01-02-2008, 07:15 PM
TBH, I don't really like UWindows, but I'll give this a try since I'm already sick of the current menus.

Psykomanius
01-03-2008, 08:19 AM
When can i download it ? :D:rolleyes:

Grim
01-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Dont think this one is happening any time soon

Solid Snake
01-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Hi guys, I've actually been working on UWindow2... sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread. Will make another thread later.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/SolidSnakeNZ/UWindow2_050108.jpg

Pivot_xyz
01-06-2008, 03:41 PM
OMFG im so gonna LOVE YOU if you make it possible...

and im all for you for hijacking this thread

Phoenix86
01-06-2008, 04:23 PM
someone freakin make it

kthnx :)

Alan3002
01-07-2008, 01:03 PM
keep up the good work on this mod and ill definitly download it :D

c0nting3ncy
01-08-2008, 02:19 AM
Way to go Solid Snake, give the community what it wants!

bL1nK
02-22-2008, 04:18 AM
is this project dead?

ChaseMachine
02-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Looks really sharp, I look forward to seeing if this works or not :)

hysobe
02-23-2008, 09:24 PM
cmon this is vital for ut3 ;p =)

Sourpuss
02-24-2008, 01:05 AM
Looks like a good idea for Patch 3.

DR SE7EN
02-24-2008, 01:51 AM
hey snake is that your name in UT2k4?

sometimes mine is grayfox

XD

BullDozer
03-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Hi Solid Snake.
Good to see you around.
Good work, appreciate it and hope you realy make this one

PS. thx again for that small ASE converter

BullDozer

deepdarkblack
03-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Looks amazing!!!

Crotale
03-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi all. Here is a link to Snake's blog. http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=174377

Green_Day_584
03-08-2008, 12:26 AM
sorry... i like the one we have as default (as console oriented as it is :mad:).
it's just... cool. the rollover effect, its clean simplicity with no clutter.

but i will follow this project. if it can get any better than it already looks, i will consider it :cool:

oakz
03-22-2008, 04:47 AM
We need this!!

D-Hunter
03-22-2008, 11:39 AM
At this point I've come to like UWindows, being that I'm getting extremely tired of the more complicated version of the UT2004 interface.

oakz
04-05-2008, 12:59 PM
How is the process going?

S.H.O.K.K.
04-21-2008, 04:22 AM
seems to be dead... too... :(

Kankipappa
06-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Nope, still alive. But seems he's too lazy to update it to here, so check it out on this forum: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=174377&page=8

Edit: Well ok, dunno if it's the same dude on here so prolly this one is dead.. But that one is still alive and looking good. :)

Solid Snake
06-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Hey guys, sorry, I'm not with the same group of people who run this project. I try to maintain updates between here and Beyondunreal.

I also try to maintain the same page here, http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=597635&page=7 as well. As posts are becoming shorter and shorter, its easy to update both forums now.