PDA

View Full Version : Sharp Shadows..

MrSilent
11-12-2007, 11:35 AM
I was just wondering how to go about getting quite sharp shadows.

Ive built a big room with 1 singular lightsource and the shadows kinda dissapear.

Any thoughts?...

Thanks in advance guys ;)

MrSilent
11-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Ok, A bit of playing around and I managed to get some results I was looking for, so I thought id share how I got around it with the rest of you (experienced mappers will probably laugh :p)

Highlight a surface and Right click and go to surface properties (or select all surfaces first then go to the properties)
Now under lighting select an appropriate Lightmap resolution (I think 32 is the default).
Ive added a screen to show you the different lightmap resolution results.

In the past whenever ive used an editor the higher the lightmap the sharper the result, but it seems like the lowest number is the best quality/longer build times.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/9fda30b626.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

Would love to hear some feedback and see if anyone else has any optimizing tips or tricks up thier sleeves. :)

Take Care.

NeoNautica
11-13-2007, 12:04 AM
Use lower density light maps in areas with complex lighting and where the player will be right on top of or in front of it. As objects get further away from the player use higher density lightmaps since most people won't notice a difference (but they will notice a performance hit if you're using 2 density light maps everywhere!). I recommend changing the light maps towards the end of the map making process since it does cause such a huge leap in build times.

MrSilent
11-13-2007, 12:38 AM
yeah man, definitely.
It makes me wonder if this is one of the reasons the maps are split up into different bsps.
I couldnt imagen building the entire level over and over again.

NeoNautica
11-13-2007, 12:47 AM
For any large game level you have to constantly stream in and out data. No point in having the beginning loaded when you're at the end or anything you can't see.

The game maps all have a SP_xxx_P, which I believe is the parent map since everything is loaded when you open it (assuming the editor doesn't crash). Beyond that each map has a little different streaming method. Probably due to the workflow of whichever level designer worked on it.

If Lee sees this: Is it possible to build everything in a parent file then select mesh and easily put it in a sub map? Or maybe a better question would be "What is a good workflow for making streaming maps?"

Widunder
11-16-2007, 06:34 PM
I selected all the surfaces in my map and changed the lightmap to 2. But it didn't do that much of a difference. Any tips on how I can make the lighting look even better?

Before:
http://student.gamemaker.nu/~marham050/stuff/GearsMap.JPG

After:
http://student.gamemaker.nu/~marham050/stuff/GearsMap_2.JPG

alto
11-17-2007, 02:43 AM
Arew you using a skylight? If you are, try a point light.

Widunder
11-17-2007, 07:50 AM
Arew you using a skylight? If you are, try a point light.

I have several Point Lights and a skylight, I've tried all kinds of light combinations, with and without a skylight and/or point ligts. I'm clueless what to do to make the lighting look good =(

ts_falcon
11-17-2007, 04:08 PM
try using a directional light, it will help simulate the sun, and use a skylight with a super low value of something like 0.0025

CrysAk
11-17-2007, 04:48 PM
only use lower lightmaps if you want a high detail shadow to be visible.

im not sure what the differnce in performance is with lots of highres (low number) light maps vs 1 dynamic light, mightbe interesting if someone tested this

the _P map is correct, (stands for persistant (as in.. always loaded) and from here you can stream in all the other levels (not restricted to this level though for streaming in others but thats goin off topic)

i have a high end machine and soe of the _P levels crash mine so i have no idea why that is. possibly a bug or maybe epic jsut had one ***** of a PC lol

you shouldnt need to worry about multiple levels / streaming for multiplayer levels but for single playere levels (esp large ones or if you have a team working ont he level at the same time) _P maps are a good idea, being able to show/hide sections at a time lowering the stress on your PC (and eyes...)

CrysAk
11-17-2007, 04:51 PM
I have several Point Lights and a skylight, I've tried all kinds of light combinations, with and without a skylight and/or point ligts. I'm clueless what to do to make the lighting look good =(

in the example you provided, high res lightmaps are usless and wont show any visual improvment

try adding some point lights in that cast shadws and youl start to see the difference

-=¤willhaven¤=-
11-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Use high resolution BSP lightmaps sparingly. They'll add a lot of texture memory very quickly if you aren't careful.

The numbering scheme makes sense if you look at what it really does. At 32 (default), for every 32 units of world space, you get 1 pixel of lightmap data. At 4, for every 4 units of world space, you get 1 pixel of lightmap data.

You can also get huge savings by finding large dark areas and disabling lighting entirely, or lowering the lightmap resolution to the highest (65536).

phant00m
11-18-2007, 05:42 AM
I haven't really looked into the editor yet, but if ur setting a lightmap to "2", you will have to render ur own lightmap right? Because he can't use something that isn't there..

Rendering your own lightmaps on custom made 3dmax models is also working very will :o used to do that in UT2k4 a lot, was the only good way to get heavy shadows and straight edges on the shadows without affecting performance..