PDA

View Full Version : GoW Editor Problems

iservealot
11-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Hello,

I have been working with Unreal 3 for sometime now, and it's great to see that GoW ships with a recent Engine build.

However, with that said, I have noticed that the editor crashes quite a lot. It also seems to be very slow and unresponsive at times. Is this a problem with drivers, or is the editor just buggy?

SideNote: I've wanted to create realtime reflected water for sometime now, and it's finally possible with this engine build. Here is a screen grab of a simple real time reflected water shader I made last night

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1082/waterrefflectjh0.jpg
I've also managed to get my physics gun code to compile and that big bright cube lookn thing is real time cloth, that tears. :)

KIWIDOGGIE
11-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Your on vista?, Try updateing your drivers, Disableing UAC, Turn off anything that is hogging memory. That normaly fixes stuff.

feldy3d
11-07-2007, 08:51 PM
what kinda of system are you running on?

iservealot
11-07-2007, 09:12 PM
I could not get the game to run on Vista. I am in XP

My computer Specs are:
AMD 6000+
Nvidia 8800 GTS 640MB
2 Gigs Kingston Hyper-X DDR 2 800

CiS
11-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Im sure it cant crash more than the UT99 editor :mad:

3Deeing
11-07-2007, 11:56 PM
It's crashed 4x with me, in the past hour or so.

Usually crashes while browsing the Generic Browser.

I have 2gb of RAM, would upgrade to 4gb or 8gb, but does UnrealEd have a 64-bit version so it can utilize more than 3gb of RAM? :)

flip5577
11-08-2007, 12:34 AM
That water looks great so far. Can you post a Jpeg of your Material Editor node setup for me to decipher?

Larry Charles

CrysAk
11-08-2007, 08:39 AM
theres alot of unwritten rules when it comes to the editor, common sense sorts allot of them out though (if you have previous exp with modelin/unreal), if you think.. ok maybe this wont work.. it probably wont :P

trail and error will be the only thing that can sort that out for you though, just make sure you make everything as clean as pos, should keep crashes to a minimum

3Deeing
11-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Apparently all my crashes might be due to my RAM being filled up.

I was watching the RAM/PF usage, and when it went to 2.04gb, it crashed. Is there a pagefile/cache setting in the editor?

Edit:
Nevermind, it just crashed again, with about 512 RAM left. :( Maybe a memory leak in the vram?

iservealot
11-08-2007, 05:14 PM
I think that the crashing does have something to do with memory usage. I have 2 gigs of ram, and apparently that might not be enough.

It's also worth noting that GoW loads up a bunch of packages on editor start up.

iservealot
11-08-2007, 05:23 PM
That water looks great so far. Can you post a Jpeg of your Material Editor node setup for me to decipher?

Larry Charles

Sure, here is a screen grab of it.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/274/watermaterialsetupun4.jpg

Sorry its hard to see. The yellow thing you see in the viewport is a reflection bleeding through from the level. It reflects as expected in game.

flip5577
11-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Well thats not simple at all...

How long did it take to produce that effect?

iservealot
11-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Probably about 20-30 min to set the entire scene up, including the material, mesh, SceneCaputreActor and world.

One you spend some time with Unreal 3, you will notice that the material is not really that complex.

deezignfreek
11-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Here's what I did to make it work. I don't know if this will be the same for everyone. My first install, on the Gears splash screen that comes up, I hadn't clicked on "More Options". Do that and select to install the editor. Then I did the following.

I have Vista. I went into Windows Explorer, and selected the following: (C>Program Files>Microsoft Games> Gears of War> and then selected the "Binaries" folder. In it was the Startup file. It's an .exe file. I right clicked on it, and chose "Create Shortcut". It says, "Windows cannot create a shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead?". Select "Yes". Then I right clicked on that shortcut>chose properties, and in the open box beside where it says "Target", I now have: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Gears of War\Binaries\WarGame-G4WLive.exe" editor. If you installed it somewhere else than the C, it won't look like that. It does take a while for the (Unreal) Editor for Gears to come up.