PDA

View Full Version : No mods in Gears of War PC?? EPIC please respond

armagon917
10-21-2007, 11:43 PM
I read this on computer and videogames Gears of War hands on. Fist off here's the link to the article.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=173980

Towards the bottom this is said.

"Gears of War will also ship with an editor, although don't expect to completely overhaul the game with a new mod, as the utility has been tailored for creating your own multiplayer maps - the PC-from-the-ground-up title Unreal Tournament III is Epic's flagship mod-maker."

This is a huge problem for me as I hated the gameplay for Unreal Tournament III in the beta demo and don't plan on making any custom content for it if the game turns out like I think it will. So my only other option was Gears of War for PC. I've already started assets and put in a bunch of time making high resolution models to create normal maps which is a hell of a lot of work.

So according to this we can't make a Capture the Flag mod, or regular Deathmatch mod? Now I am concerned, will I even be able to make 100 percent custom maps with my own content. Static meshes, textures everything. Thats what I want to do. There is no good reason to have UT3 be your only Mod making game. Why would EPIC do this if its true? If it is and I can't get custom work into Gears of War then I will never buy another game from EPIC. This is coming from a gamer who followed them and bought all their games since UT99. I bought an xbxox 360 for Gears of War. A regular xbox for Unreal Championship 2 as well. EPIC please respond!

This will kill the mod community for Gears of War. I don't like UT3 and was waiting for it for years in anticipation and now what I consider the only option for me to use Unreal Engine 3 is being gutted/locked out so people can't make new gametypes and the ability to make custom maps with your own content is now in question.

Please clarify or I will have to cancel my Gears of War PC preorder, I already cancelled my UT3 preorder. I seriously hope this isn't true and EPIC needs to come out and adress this and set the record straight. As an aspiring game designer/game artist this is very bad for me and many other people in the mod community, If this is true mod makers will freak out on you EPIC and it won't be pretty. PLEASE RESPOND!!!!!

Taffer
10-22-2007, 12:06 AM
I am also very confused about how much we will be able to do with the editor for Gears of War, but I am pretty sure CTF mods (and thus deathmatch mods) will be possible.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22198.html

"...People can now take all the assets that we used to build the game, and start creating your own environments, and start sharing them on the PC. And people playing competitively making great multiplayer arenas, maybe singleplayer content, maybe CTF mods, things like that. Who knows what they're going to do."

Although this was quite a while ago.

brdempsey69
10-22-2007, 02:19 AM
It would be quite fool-hearted to not have a full featured editor and be able to bring custom content into the game.

That's a loss for everybody to restrict what type of custom content can be brought into the game.

If I look back over the history of the Unreal Engine, I go back to an Unreal Engine 1 game called Deus Ex and it wasn't restricted as to what could be brought into it and there was a couple of great mods made for it --RedSun 2020 and Zodiac.

So, as armagon917 stated, please don't put a noose on the editor and bringing custom content into the game, its a loss for everybody.

Kronos
10-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Well I personally love the gameplay of UT3.

Anyway I'm sure ya'll be able to make mini mods on GoW PC, but if your into making something closer to a total conversion mod, UT3 will be the game. I think what they'll end up doing is disabling alot of current UnrealScript features, nothing more.

I understand why they're doing this and I think its for a good reason.

Balroch
10-22-2007, 11:23 AM
i agree on the matter as long as i can just bring in new character models ill be happy as anything.

mycatfield
10-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Well I personally love the gameplay of UT3.
...I understand why they're doing this and I think its for a good reason.

I didn't see any reason listed as to why they are doing this, and I'm having trouble coming up with a good reason on my own, so please ellaborate. If it's just to force the mod community to focus on one game, that seems kinda contrary to the spirit of mod-making to begin with...which is supposed to put the power of creative choice in the peoples' hands.

I also have BIG plans to make a Gears of War TC mod, and have been in pre-production on that for some time now. This statement really throws a wrench in the works, because while I was planning on doing some asset sharing with a similarly themed UT3 mod, my main design focus is on Gears. I want to create a 3rd person cover shooter, not a FPS. And unless Epic is going to ship UT3 with full support for the Gears cover shooter mechanics, moveset, and camera system, my plans are screwed. Modding UT3 from scratch to become Gears of War is way too much work to seriously undertake.

EPIC, please say it ain't so. Gears of War is the closest thing to my ideal gameplay template that I've seen in years, if not ever. Put the power of this fantasticly well-balanced mechanic in the peoples' hands and watch what amazing innovations come out of it. UT3 is fine, and amazing mods will roll in for it. But the Gears audience is looking for a different experience, and I believe that both mod-communities can flourish while feeding each other, especially with asset and knowledge sharing across the same engine.

Uchiha_Itachi
10-22-2007, 02:20 PM
well they don't want the mod community change the essence of the game.
You see, they give you the tools(almost all) to mod whatever you want for the unreal engine. however making new game modes like ctf, a battlefieldish game mode or whatever isn't what they allow us to do, simply because it would make the game totally worthless. Just think about it, unreal tournament 3 and gears of war use the same engine, you can make whole games if they'd give us 100% acces to all tools.

armagon917
10-22-2007, 02:28 PM
I didn't see any reason listed as to why they are doing this, and I'm having trouble coming up with a good reason on my own, so please ellaborate. If it's just to force the mod community to focus on one game, that seems kinda contrary to the spirit of mod-making to begin with...which is supposed to put the power of creative choice in the peoples' hands.

I also have BIG plans to make a Gears of War TC mod, and have been in pre-production on that for some time now. This statement really throws a wrench in the works, because while I was planning on doing some asset sharing with a similarly themed UT3 mod, my main design focus is on Gears. I want to create a 3rd person cover shooter, not a FPS. And unless Epic is going to ship UT3 with full support for the Gears cover shooter mechanics, moveset, and camera system, my plans are screwed. Modding UT3 from scratch to become Gears of War is way too much work to seriously undertake.

EPIC, please say it ain't so. Gears of War is the closest thing to my ideal gameplay template that I've seen in years, if not ever. Put the power of this fantasticly well-balanced mechanic in the peoples' hands and watch what amazing innovations come out of it. UT3 is fine, and amazing mods will roll in for it. But the Gears audience is looking for a different experience, and I believe that both mod-communities can flourish while feeding each other, especially with asset and knowledge sharing across the same engine.

Sounds like we are in the same boat. I'm choosing Gears of War because I believe the gameplay is much better then UT3. This isn't a UT3 thread and I'm glad you like the new UT Kronos. (star trek fan?) I would make a map in UT3 but its hard to be passionate about a map for a game in which you hate the core gameplay.

Whats scary about this is we both have already gone into pre production and now there are doubts about what the editor will be capable of. Its the mod makers who are your future level designers, environmental artists, and game designers. This isn't just a terrible thing for people making mods. Its terrible for people buying Gears of War for PC as there may be a mod for it that takes off like CounterStrike or Rocket Arena. It hurts the game and the industry as a whole. EPIC please clear this up.

armagon917
10-22-2007, 02:33 PM
well they don't want the mod community change the essence of the game.
You see, they give you the tools(almost all) to mod whatever you want for the unreal engine. however making new game modes like ctf, a battlefieldish game mode or whatever isn't what they allow us to do, simply because it would make the game totally worthless. Just think about it, unreal tournament 3 and gears of war use the same engine, you can make whole games if they'd give us 100% acces to all tools.

Capture the Flag for Gears of War would be awesome, how would that screw up the game? Nobody is forcing you to download or play the mod. BUT its there for people who want to play it. The mod community is what keeps many online games refreshing. You have it backwards. All the normal game modes and maps will still be there. Its not like the core game will be completely different because that remains untouched. What mods and a full toolset allow you to do is make an optinal game mode like CTF or DM along with all the other game modes. Its optional so how can it screw up the game?

UPDATE, http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=578461&page=2

What?! Uchiha_Itachi so its okay to mod the game if its something you like???

Check out that link post 11

Kronos
10-22-2007, 08:08 PM
You can create a 3rd person cover based shooter in UT3, your mod doesnt by any means have to be a first person shooter.

mycatfield
10-22-2007, 08:15 PM
You can create a 3rd person cover based shooter in UT3, your mod doesnt by any means have to be a first person shooter.

I have no doubt that this will be possible. My point is that it's an unneccessary and HUGE amount of work to undertake to compensate for the fact that I can't mod Gears of War. I'm looking to do something as a fun hobby, with the skillset of an artist. I'm not looking for the biggest possible workload I can take on, in fact, I want the opposite. Gears represents the closest thing to my target experience, therefore it is my desired starting point. Having to mod another game to first get to Gears' level is way beyond what I would consider taking on.

Like I said, unless Epic includes the full Gears moveset and cover system with UT3, I'm screwed in this respect.

USRangerJohn
10-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Well honestly I think EPIC will release it in a full version with maybe a few strings attached. Im sure they wont mind watching Marcus Fenix run around a starship in space or send him into a rain forest. Im sure EPIC would give you guys a full version to go crazy with im just thinking that they just dont want you to change the core features of the game(which I heard some people mentioned doing). Like they might not want you to remove the AR and tweak the cover system or Roadie run. However making CTF, S&D, Deathmatch doesnt seem like a huge problem or something EPIC would try to stop.

sarge mat
10-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Important Question

Does this mean i would not be able to do a singleplayer mod as thats what i am planning for my FMP. Its hard to tell from the details.

Sb27441
10-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Wait a minute...the answer is staring us in the face.

Why would Epic create a forum titled "User Maps & Mods" if no mods were possible?

brdempsey69
10-24-2007, 12:17 AM
^^Very good point and excellent observation.

For what it's worth you can check out this interview with CliffyB and the article was posted on October 4. The video is right in the middle of the page.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/824/824946p1.html

Kronos
10-24-2007, 01:39 AM
Like I said, you will probably be able to create mini mods such as CTF, but not total conversion mods such as Red Orchestra.

mycatfield
10-24-2007, 12:51 PM
brdempsey: thanks for the link, there was good info in the IGN article.

Total Conversion is what I'm hoping for...based on the interviews and media that have been released so far, it's hard to say whether or not it will be possible. I guess we'll have to wait and see if anything further comes out of EPIC on the subject.

Toaster
10-25-2007, 08:04 PM
It appears they are sending mix messages. I found this at:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/gearsofwar/news.html?sid=6180407&mode=previews

"Epic will ship the exact same toolset that it used to create the game, along with all of the content used to build the game, so fans can experiment, tinker, and create their own unique levels and mods."

In the past Epic has been fairly good about supporting the MOD community. I hope they wouldn't back out on that now. But I wouldn't worry too much. So far, more articles than NOT indicate that the full Unreal editor will be included with the game.

jansoft88
10-26-2007, 12:41 PM
In an interview at Gametrailers.com, Cliffy B said that the game will ship with the latest version of Unreal Engine 3 with all the tools. And he also said that he is very excited to see what the modding community may come up with for Gears of War (he was particularly excited about seeing a CTF mod for Gears). So yes .. the game does support mods.

sarge mat
10-26-2007, 02:51 PM
i really dont see why it would not ship with the full tool.

einer
10-28-2007, 02:29 AM
...If it is and I can't get custom work into Gears of War then I will never buy another game from EPIC...

Epic be afraid, be very afraid :D lmao.

Sb27441
10-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Taken from WorthPlaying's October preview:

By giving players Kismet and all of the other tools and assets used to design Gears, Epic hopes to simplify the process of creating mods so that more players can contribute to the community.

Yes, there will be mods. It seems likely that the reason Epic has not responded to this topic is that the answer is blindingly obvious.

mycatfield
10-30-2007, 02:28 AM
The original concern was based on this quote from a recent article about PC Gears of War: "Gears of War will also ship with an editor, although don't expect to completely overhaul the game with a new mod, as the utility has been tailored for creating your own multiplayer maps - the PC-from-the-ground-up title Unreal Tournament III is Epic's flagship mod-maker."

What this implies is that Epic will not be allowing complete mod access to the game like they are with Unreal 3. That is what we are hoping to get clarification on.

So no, the answer is not blindingly obvious, it is clouded by contradictory statements. I hope Gears will allow full mod access, and can't see any reason why it shouldn't, but going off of this statement, I am led to believe that mods will be allowed within tighter restrictions than Unreal 3 mods will be. If that's the case, it would be great if EPIC could post what those restrictions are.

bendybus
10-30-2007, 03:16 PM
I FOR ONE definitely want to see if there's a mod sdk for the pc version...clear this up please EPIC?

Darkcrow
10-30-2007, 06:48 PM
I FOR ONE definitely want to see if there's a mod sdk for the pc version...clear this up please EPIC?

Epic already stated that they will ship GoW with an editor, just like UT3.

awakeningfromobliv
10-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Gears of War PC Unreal Editor
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/15905

mycatfield
10-31-2007, 06:58 PM
Awesome link, thanks! It doesn't say you can do anything, mod-wise, but it does look fun and easy to use!

chinese_lover
10-31-2007, 10:52 PM
its looks pretty good,
i wanna be able to mod and bring my models from 3ds max in the game,
only thing i wanna really know,
does anyone know this yet,
Thanks,Chris

little update i found on the gearsofwar.com
http://gearsofwar.com/News/Gears_PC.htm
New game editor. The game will also feature the all-new game editor, guaranteeing new user-generated content in the future. The Gears of War community will be able to tap their endless creative potential to develop an unlimited number of user-created levels through complete access to the Unreal Editor. Players can now import custom artwork into the engine, create particle systems, scripted encounters, cinematics, and more.

Aappleyard
11-01-2007, 09:30 AM
From what i understand . you can make mods just not as complex as you possibly can on UTIII.

But i just want to make some maps.

Think its possable to make a MP map and put NPC's into it?

Sb27441
11-01-2007, 01:38 PM
The Epic employee mentions mods briefly. They are made using the Kismet scripting tool, apparently.

There is full support for custom single-player campaigns.

chinese_lover
11-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Brief IRC Chat with Jim Brown on Gears PC from the staff at beyondunreal.com,
microsoft just has to be difficult on the whole editor after reading this interview,
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=191120
http://www.beyondunreal.com/content/articles/210_1.php

BlkBullet23
11-03-2007, 03:13 AM
Gears of War PC Unreal Editor
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/15905

Thats looks very cool and easy to use. Making levels should be a breeze. :D
Now I realy gotta get a new pc.:eek:

Xendance
11-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Thats looks very cool and easy to use. Making levels should be a breeze. :D
Now I realy gotta get a new pc.:eek:

Well it's fast if you use the original assets, but if you want to make your own models, textures, anything, it'll take time.

BlkBullet23
11-04-2007, 01:05 AM
Well it's fast if you use the original assets, but if you want to make your own models, textures, anything, it'll take time.

:D If I had a new computer and all the materiel I needed. I'll learn and build a badass level. I've wanted to build games like everyone when they were kids and I, still do. :)
I already got the concept art part down. Now I just need to learn how to use 3d software so I can build stuff. :D

I got plenty of time. ;)

Aectotek
11-04-2007, 06:16 AM
Now I just need to learn how to use 3d software

piece of cake:D ... especially building high poly characters with 2,000,000 polygons or more

chinese_lover
11-04-2007, 05:53 PM
i already have some buildings made ready to import into it,
cant wait to pick this up in a couple days,
now since circuitcity has it for $39.99 on sale this week,
cant beat that price,
Chris

Talon15
11-04-2007, 10:05 PM
I don't think you guys fully comprehend the power of Kismet. I've looked at it and worked with it in RoboBlitz, and let's just say you will most likely be able to build any game mode you want with that tool.

What that interview meant was that we won't be able to access the code of the game to make mutators and Total Conversions, like you can with UT3.

mycatfield
11-04-2007, 11:51 PM
What that interview meant was that we won't be able to access the code of the game to make mutators and Total Conversions, like you can with UT3.
Right then, that's my concern! I'd like to do a Gears TC mod. So based on your understanding of it, what exactly will be allowed...
-swapping in new character models?
-Adding or modifying the Gears moveset?
-Making new weapons?
-Creating and importing new terrain models?

And what is a mutator?

Thanks for the info!

Talon15
11-05-2007, 01:03 AM
I'm not sure about the models. Frankly, it'd be tough to match the quality of Epic's work to begin with, so that might not be the smartest idea.

I'm not quite sure what you would want to do by modifying the moveset? What's the point man? Gears of War is a great game as is. It's a much more solid, a much more tighter experience than UT3 could ever hope to be, that's Epic's reason for only allowing you access to the map editor and not UScript. They don't want the community changing things that affect the core gameplay.

I doubt you could create new weapons, a lot of that is done using UScript, so no.

Terrain is done in the editor, not using a modeling program, so no worries on that, :)

mycatfield
11-05-2007, 02:18 AM
I'm not sure about the models. Frankly, it'd be tough to match the quality of Epic's work to begin with, so that might not be the smartest idea....I'm not quite sure what you would want to do by modifying the moveset? What's the point man?
Thanks for the concern. I'm a professional 3d modeler, so I'm not worried about the quality bar. It's at the same place it is for my job, and I've been working on the models for some time now. Besides, fear of hitting a quality bar is not a legitimate concern, in my opinion. Just keep working on things until they're done. It's a hobby, no time constraints. The sky's the limit.

And remember, when you're talking to modders, you're talking to people who love the base games, but see ways they'd like to tweak things to make a slightly or drastically different experience than the base game offers. I love Gears of War, have played through it on the xbox, and have played a whole lot of multiplayer. I don't want to make a mod that "fixes" Gears, because I don't think it's broken. But put in the context of the Total Conversion mod I want to create, there are some changes that I need to make to the moveset. Namely, expanding the melee options a bit.

At the least, I need to be able to do player model and weapon swaps. Most games in the past 10 years have allowed mods of these types.

I'm still wondering what a mutator is exactly.

Thanks!

Talon15
11-05-2007, 11:33 AM
I don't think new player models are in the cards. I could be wrong.

I know what modding is, I've been modding since UT99. That being said, I don't think Epic wants to see 'drastically' different gameplay coming out of a GoW mod, a game that was originally a 360 exclusive and has a rather large fanbase dedicated to the way the core gameplay mechanics work. While the inevitable GoW golf mod would be cool, until I know exactly the scope and scale of what you plan on doing, I probably can't help you with answers.

Splam
11-06-2007, 05:18 AM
I'm not buying this game unless I can mod it to some extent, and that's for sure. Not trying to threaten epic, hehe :P But the fact that without modifications, such as new weapons, vehicles, models, etc the replay value will for sure not be more then 20 hours, for me atleast. While if new weapons and such were constantly added, the replay value could easily jump to 200+ hours. I'm picky with high budget computer games, they've got to have loads of replay value or I don't even bother with them. One of the problems I found with gears of war was a lack of weapons, making it very repetetive.

An interesting simple mod would for example be damage conversions, only taking two or three shots to kill. Could prove to completely change the gameplay in gears of war. Or what about a health bar?

I really hope that if a mod editor isn't included, it will be cracked. For example, Battlefield 1942 never included a mod editor, however people managed to crack open their archives and access the content. Later an unofficial plugin for their model file format was cracked, and their code was easily accessible in notepad (after extracted from their RFA archives). Battlefield 1942 was never ment to be modded, but after people cracked the file formats they created such mods as desert combat, which became nearly as popular as the core game. Without these modifications, battlefield 2 might not have existed as it does today. If gears doesn't include a mod editor, it NEEDS to be cracked.

CrysAk
11-06-2007, 08:05 AM
they probably removed the capability to fully mod the Unreal engine in GoW so that the modding community doesnt get split between GoW and UT3, moving all the heavy modders over to UT3 keeps it all compatible, youl probably still be able to make custom wpns/models for GoW, but TC mods i can see why thay would disable it, limiting it only to UT3

good mvoe imo

there will still be custom maps for GoW so dont see much fo an issue

Talon15
11-06-2007, 11:53 AM
they probably removed the capability to fully mod the Unreal engine in GoW so that the modding community doesnt get split between GoW and UT3, moving all the heavy modders over to UT3 keeps it all compatible, youl probably still be able to make custom wpns/models for GoW, but TC mods i can see why thay would disable it, limiting it only to UT3

good mvoe imo

there will still be custom maps for GoW so dont see much fo an issue

I agree, that's basically what I said.

CrysAk
11-06-2007, 11:58 AM
I agree, that's basically what I said.

sorry for repost if thats the case lol, i think i read about 3 posts then just hit reply with my feedback, great minds think alike ;)

mycatfield
11-06-2007, 12:01 PM

I can see the validity in that idea. That's why my favorite solution would be to restrict GoW mods, but allow the GoW content to be ported to Unreal.
That way someone can make a Gears of Unreal mod, hopefully with support from EPIC with the code side. And we'll all be one big happy Unreal modding community....so happy together....:-)

Is the game out today?? I'm going to pick up Call of Duty 4, but am hoping to get Gears PC as well.

Talon15
11-07-2007, 02:03 AM
sorry for repost if thats the case lol, i think i read about 3 posts then just hit reply with my feedback, great minds think alike ;)

Haha np, it's a pet peeve of mine but its a pretty unrealistic thing to expect of someone, :P

And I'm picking up my copy tomorrow morning, woot. See you on the flip side! :D I bought and beat CoD4 today, that was fantastic, but the MP was even better. Should be a keeper for a long time to come. Hope the same of Gears.

sarge mat
11-07-2007, 12:39 PM
just got my copy today and i know this is a dumb question but "where the hell do you find the launcher for Unreal ED?". I just can not find it. lol

brdolan
11-07-2007, 12:39 PM
So can you import models and new animation new with this editor or not?

CrysAk
11-07-2007, 12:49 PM
if you cant find it try making a shortcut to teh .exe of the game then

goto the properties, find its target path and add " editor" to the end (witha space bettwen ".exe and editor"

CrysAk
11-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Haha np, it's a pet peeve of mine but its a pretty unrealistic thing to expect of someone, :P

And I'm picking up my copy tomorrow morning, woot. See you on the flip side! :D I bought and beat CoD4 today, that was fantastic, but the MP was even better. Should be a keeper for a long time to come. Hope the same of Gears.

haha ^^

im picking up my final bits for my new PC (sli 8800gt 512) tomorow , gears get released her on friday so will be a bit late to the party :( lol

good to hear aboput COD4, planning on picking up a few games when the machiens up and running, lots of good games being release this and next month :D

Splam
11-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Now that gears of war is released, CAN SOMEONE PLEASE UPDATE US? I need to know this before I go buy the game.

brdolan
11-08-2007, 02:23 AM
Can someone please answer the question?

Lee Perry
11-08-2007, 10:32 AM
The editor is the same one we made the game in, everything we were able to do, a modder could in theory do as well with the same tools.

iservealot
11-08-2007, 05:32 PM
The editor is the same one we made the game in, everything we were able to do, a modder could in theory do as well with the same tools.

With the exception of native code, right?

Splam
11-08-2007, 05:45 PM

Your answer isn't very clear. For all we know, you could be referring to maps only.
So the question remains,
Is gears of war modding capable of everything that UT3 modding can? Not referring to maps, but total conversions.

brdolan
11-08-2007, 05:47 PM

Can I model something in 3dsmax and bring it into the game?

How abot new animations?

chinese_lover
11-08-2007, 05:49 PM
did you not see my post up of my building i made in 3dsmax and textured in photoshop,
put into the editor,
yes it can be done,
this editor is full out blown thing,
you can model something and bring it into the game,
http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=583497

Splam
11-08-2007, 05:51 PM
did you not see my post up of my building i made in 3dsmax and textured in photoshop,
put into the editor,
yes it can be done,

Well of course you can bring static buildings ingame. But can you bring a moving and shooting t34 ingame?

chinese_lover
11-08-2007, 05:53 PM
i will have to try that out sometime,
just havent got around to it,
we need to start a thread about what you can and cant bring in the editor,
i think it would help alot of people around here,
anyone else agree with me,

KIWIDOGGIE
11-08-2007, 06:14 PM
We cant bring halo bipeds in the editor :'(

brdolan
11-08-2007, 11:36 PM
put into the editor,
yes it can be done,

No I didn't see it. How about animation?

3Deeing
11-09-2007, 12:00 AM
No one WANTS a Halo biped anyway, lol. :p

But yes, you can create your own models, textures, etc. Basically, everything. :)

Splam
11-09-2007, 03:34 AM
No one WANTS a Halo biped anyway, lol. :p

But yes, you can create your own models, textures, etc. Basically, everything. :)

We're not interested in what models or textures we can bring in. We're interested in what's codeable. Can we bring in a new gun and make it shoot 5.56mm ammo? Until I see a screenshot of a new weapon or something I don't think I'll buy the game. A static model ingame won't make me buy it.

Lee Perry
11-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Its an Unreal Editor the same as we've released for every other Epic product in the past. It will import animations, set up ragdoll constraints, build levels, apply materials, create kismet scripts for your maps to do things like triggers or movers, import and trigger audio... it's what we built the game in.

Just like every other editor we've ever shipped though, if you're trying to make a full new "product" like Red Orchestra or something, you're going to need someone who can work in unreal script for menus, weapon implementation, creating pawn actors to spawn, and such.

mycatfield
11-09-2007, 02:28 PM
That's excellent!! Thanks for responding Lee.

Our concern was that some of the features were not going to be allowed for Gears, especially when it comes to doing something like a Red Orchestra total conversion. From your answer, it sounds like that's no longer a worry, as Gears is equally mod-able to Unreal 3.

brdempsey69
11-09-2007, 03:34 PM
That's excellent!! Thanks for responding Lee.

Our concern was that some of the features were not going to be allowed for Gears, especially when it comes to doing something like a Red Orchestra total conversion. From your answer, it sounds like that's no longer a worry, as Gears is equally mod-able to Unreal 3.

Keep us posted on the progress of the mod you are planning, as you mentioned earlier. I will be looking forward to giving it a try.

And thanks, Lee Perry, for stepping up to plate and settling the issue. This really opens a world of possibilities for GOW expansion.

angusm
11-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks huge Lee for clearin this up.

Ryan
11-09-2007, 05:14 PM
hehe, looks like people took that one little sentance from that computerandvideogames article waaay too far and overanalyzed it. The unreal editor has never had a "make mod button"'; it is the program that allows you to interface code with content. If you have talented scripters/coders on your team, you should be able to do whatever. There is just no "make mod" button or game creation wizard like some people seem to be expecting :) If you can't code or script, you will be 'stuck' with kismet... and matinee.... and the super crazy animation blending tree tool, and the physics tool, etc etc. Those tools right there are enough for most people to play with, and you can prototype virtually anything in kismet alone, but don't expect it to be able to produce network friendly mods that radically change gameplay without some coding.

There is also no "make art" button, although we always joke about that :) If there was, we wouldn't need artists hehe.

CrysAk
11-09-2007, 05:20 PM
guess thats cleared up then ^^ fun stuff :D

hmg762556
11-09-2007, 07:13 PM
I still feel like we're getting mixed messages from Epic.
Check out this interview with Jim Brown - http://www.beyondunreal.com/content/articles/210_1.php

So, will we have access to Unrealscript and the source code or not?

loud
11-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Just like every other editor we've ever shipped though, if you're trying to make a full new "product" like Red Orchestra or something, you're going to need someone who can work in unreal script for menus, weapon implementation, creating pawn actors to spawn, and such.

Great! So where IS the uc script source? :)

Masterz1337
11-14-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks Lee!

COGG1138
11-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Im getting a bit confused here. Perhaps the real question can be like this:
If I create my own uscript and write a ton of lines for my mod (new gameplay/weapon/player(pawn?)/menus), will I be able to COMPILE it for GoW ???
Cause Ive seen people talking about uscript source code, but that could be something thats not really needed to compile the code for GoW mods?

-Ive just seen a tutorial where a guy says, that you cannot add a new PAWN to the game without the (uscript?) source code? Pawn means a player or NPC, right? So it could also mean a new weapon/vehicle/etc... Now Im confused even more.... :(

skullKrusher101
11-28-2007, 10:22 PM
I agree, we need a straight answer from epic, cause ive seen in multiple interviews from epic that there is no unreal script support for gears.

so epic, please respond and clear this up.

1) is there unrealscript support for gear PC
2) how do you compile it.

skullKrusher101
11-29-2007, 01:13 PM
well I ran a test last nite to see if there was a gear unreal script compiler and there is.

if you bring upa dos prompt in your gears directory and type the exename (its something long like gearsofwargamr4windows or something) folloed by the word make the compiler executes.

so thats exename make
your supposed to include the name of a script file to compile after make of course, but I just wanted to see if it was in there.

So it IS in there. The question is will GOW support anything made in it. And if so why havnt we heard anything about it. I mean it explicitly says in the UDN site that GOW has 0 unreal script support. ANd there have been interviews where epic employees have gone in depth about WHY there is no unreal script support in GOW. But there is a compiler. And Lee here hinted that there is support. So which is it.

Someone should run a simple test to change a menu item or something simple just to see if it works.

COGG1138
11-29-2007, 05:52 PM
see this over at UT3 section:
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?p=25095288
it may give you guys who know unrealed a hint...

-oh, and I wouldnt be afraid of the mutator stuff. GoW may not support that, but it may be "custom scripts" friendly (and maybe even TC friendly after all?).

skullKrusher101
11-29-2007, 06:26 PM
yea im gonna try some of that when i get home tonite and see if anything works. Ill just use UT3 as a guide.

skullKrusher101
11-29-2007, 11:18 PM
well ive done all the blind testing im willing to do on this. Yes there is a gears uscript compiler, can it do anything? who knows.

in the gears equivilant of the UTEditor.ini where you have to add you mod name in so the compiler will pick it up there is no mod section. If you manualy add it, that does nothing.

There is an export all scripts option in the actor class browser just like in UT3. However it doesnt do anything.

So off hand it looks like epic cut those options out while leaving the basic structure in as to not have to redesign it all.

So it appears there is no Uscript support afterall. That is a shame.