PDA

View Full Version : What is the Unreal Tournament Franchise?

acid_trip
10-17-2007, 11:48 PM
I thought this would be a neat idea to see others feedback on the Unreal series and where it is now. If you could contribute by answering the questions below it would be satisfying. (Please use format provided.)

Unreal Tournament
What do you like most about UT 99?
What did you dislike the most?
One thing you personally wish you could have changed?

Unreal Tournament 2003
What do you like most about UT2003?

Unreal Tournament 2004
What do you like most about UT2004?

Unreal Tournament 3
What do you like most so far about UT3?
What do you dislike the most?

I feel they are all different games and I think it would be enjoyable for me and others to read what people feel the Unreal franchise is to them. Unreal seems to be always changing as time goes by for the better and to others the worse.

(Also I hoped the title of the thread would pull some people in ;))

stoker6
10-17-2007, 11:51 PM
Purdi colerz ya got there.

isp_of_doom
10-18-2007, 12:02 AM
always nice when the first reply is so very very helpful isn't it?

UT
Most like - Original weapons (flyable nuke, etc)
Most dislike - At the time I found the gameplay ok, nothing great though. I prefered Q3. Nowerdays what would I change? The AI. Its dated by todays standards. - understandably.
One thing I would have changed... - graphics?

UT200x - (not so hardcore to differentiate between '03 and '04)
Like most - Some maps were great, Graphics were good in their time.
Dislike most - default bot count was awful, x1.5 and it was ok
One thing I'd have changed - The damage weapons did. I want every weapon to be able to do a HS instant kill. Also the minigun spread annoyed me (having played CS for a long time). I like to be able to control the spread. (ie, if you're crouching and still the minigun should be deadly accurate)

UT3
Like most - gameplay's great. very nice mix there. Top notch FX/visuals (I'm sure they'll get dated though... aaah, inevitability)
Dislike most - (based on the demo), I'm not convinced the vehicles are right yet, or to up it a different way, I'm not sure they're being implemented right yet. To qualify that - DM-HeatRay rules, vCTF-Suspense isn't quite there.
What I'd change... hmmm... my specs :) Again, the weapon spread thing. Maybe make the flak cannon more accurate when crouched and still?!! Who knows, might f@@@ up gameplay, but a mutator would be good.

Hope thats what you wanted.

h4mx0r
10-18-2007, 04:01 AM
Unreal Tournament
What do you like most about UT 99? Operation Overlord. The assault missions in general were quite fun.
What did you dislike the most? Domination mode. Most annoying gametype ever, especially when dealing with bots. Oh sure, I'd beat it, but it would feel like a stretched match.
One thing you personally wish you could have changed? Add more chainsaws. I swear to god, I've only seen it like twice.

Unreal Tournament 2003
What do you like most about UT2003? did not play
What did you dislike the most? did not play
One thing you personally wish you could have changed? did not play

Unreal Tournament 2004
What do you like most about UT2004? Fast, Furious, Deadly. Onslaught mode took a while to like, but I eventually did. Also loved the quality of the AI and overall UI design.
What did you dislike the most? The stupid challenges the bot teams would send me in SP. Stop pestering me with your useless 1v1 duels. In multiplayer, stop using RPG addons.
One thing you personally wish you could have changed? Made Bombing Run mode more prominent. It's like basketball/football on crack with guns!

Unreal Tournament 3
What do you like most so far about UT3? Sexy.
What do you dislike the most? Exceeds my computer requirements by a dual core for smooth play.
One thing you personally wish you could have changed? Change the link gun model. It reminds me of eggplants.

da ghost
10-18-2007, 04:25 AM
Unreal Tournament
I liked the assault missions in UT99. They felt very visceral and alive, especially when the attacking team is trying to break through the defending team.
I didn't like the slow and clumsy movement.
One thing I'd change about it is to balance the weapons better.

Unreal Tournament 2
Graceful movement and the HEEEEEAAAADSHOTs :)
The vehicles in ONS coulda used some balancing.
I'd fix the netcode so that it would not be so weak to packet loss.

Unreal Tournament 3
Everything seems pretty much balanced. Jumpboots feel really nice to use and are fun.
Vehicles feel more realistic, but not as fun.
UT3 is aimed at a more realistic experience, but i'm not sure if it will be as fun as UT2 was. I'd like to see more options as far as mouse sens and keybinds are concerned, but the final version may yet deliver.

oceaN[nova]
10-18-2007, 04:31 AM
Unreal Tournament
Didnt play UT
What do you like most about UT 99?
Didnt play UT
Didnt play UT
Didnt play UT

Unreal Tournament 2003
What do you like most about UT2003?
Boostjump definetly
Minigun lockdown I guess
Minigun lockdown

Unreal Tournament 2004
What do you like most about UT2004?
Shock rifle or something
Deletion of boostjump
Boostjump in

Unreal Tournament 3
What do you like most so far about UT3?
Stinger
What do you dislike the most?
Cramped slow movement
Movement (dodgejump, return of boostjump), lightning gun instead of sniper