PDA

View Full Version : Creating maps for UT3

-SHARKGUN-
10-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Well... Hey guys, I'm new to the map editing scene.. and I wanted to ask you a couple of questions:

1. How long did it take to really get into the UT2k4 map maker?

2. I want to recreate two maps from a PS2 game, I made a lot of photos... Is there a possibility to import these into the UT3 editor and to use them as textures?

3. I want to build these for PS3, so my question is, is the UT3 editor for free? Or do I have to get the PC version as well, in order to make maps for the PS3?

4. Is there aynthing I, as a beginner, have to pay attention to when trying to create a proper map?

Thanks in advance ^_^

DGUnreal
10-07-2007, 11:44 AM
1. A year to really get into it. I created my first UT99 map Octagon after sitting with UEd for about two hours. The map itself took weeks to make of course

2. They will import if they are power-of-two size and .bmp or .tga etc.

3. The editor is free, but you will need a PC to use it.

4. UT3 is different than UT2004 in many ways, but there is lots of info on the Unreal Wiki (http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki) and UDN2 (http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/WebHome.html). UDN3 will be open after UT3 ships.

-SHARKGUN-
10-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Ok thanks.

Uhm regarding point 3, I do have a dual core cpu and 1 GB dualchannel ram and a Geforce 7600... Could my PC handle it? The Editing I mean.. not playing the game.

Edit:

This is one of the maps I want to recreate... It's called Subway... Can u tell me how much time u would've needed if you rebuilt this map in UT2k4?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lRcXmJDdSus

Edit: How long did it take to fully create a map in 2k4?

DGUnreal
10-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Yes, your PC will handle UnrealEd.
I do not know if UT3 PS3 ships with the editor though, I don't know if Epic has stated this, so I am not sure if you need the PC version as well. But you don't pay extra for the editor when you buy the PC game.

The time to rebuild will depend on how many of the custom objects you want as StaticMeshes and what level of detail you want. A good map with plenty of detailed custom meshes for UT2004 will on average take one to three months. With UT3 it can take as much as four times longer if you are creating Detail Meshes to get the NormalMaps.

-SHARKGUN-
10-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Woah, this sounds quite complicated XD

Well... I really want to make these maps on my own... thats why I ask all these questions ^^

Uhm... I heard the Collector's Edition's got an extra disc that includes a guide for the UT3 Editor, is that right? Have you heard of that before?

Edit:

I read that you use tools like 3ds max and others... which tools are the best for doing all of this stuff?

Molgan
10-07-2007, 01:13 PM
This is one of the maps I want to recreate... It's called Subway... Can u tell me how much time u would've needed if you rebuilt this map in UT2k4?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lRcXmJDdSus

What DG said, but if you are new to map making add a couple of weeks or months to just get familiar with the proggies, tools and such.

(In regard to that youtube clip: OMG that game looked boring, are people seriously playing crap like that? Horrible..)

Simeon
10-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Well... Hey guys, I'm new to the map editing scene.. and I wanted to ask you a couple of questions:

1. How long did it take to really get into the UT2k4 map maker?

I had the Special Edition of UT2004 which had video tutorials.. they were quite helpful. Getting into the editor isn't that hard, I find UnrealEd easy to work with.

2. I want to recreate two maps from a PS2 game, I made a lot of photos... Is there a possibility to import these into the UT3 editor and to use them as textures?

You could save photos in the right format and then convert them to the format that UnrealEd 4 wants. But I don't expect that to result in high quality textures.

4. Is there aynthing I, as a beginner, have to pay attention to when trying to create a proper map?

Don't release your first maps; they won't be good enough. Try to get the basics right first, like good flow and good item placement, and then gradually work on your visual skills.

-SHARKGUN-
10-07-2007, 01:42 PM
What DG said, but if you are new to map making add a couple of weeks or months to just get familiar with the proggies, tools and such.

(In regard to that youtube clip: OMG that game looked boring, are people seriously playing crap like that? Horrible..)

lol it looked boring because these noobs aren't good players.. this game is so damn intense when you play with the right ppl, like me ^^

And they played an one-shot-kill (instagib in UT) - match... that makes it even worse XD

DGUnreal
10-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Woah, this sounds quite complicated XD

Well... I really want to make these maps on my own... thats why I ask all these questions ^^

Uhm... I heard the Collector's Edition's got an extra disc that includes a guide for the UT3 Editor, is that right? Have you heard of that before?

I read that you use tools like 3ds max and others... which tools are the best for doing all of this stuff?

UE3 is quite complicated, but you can still start off with the basics.
Create some simple CSG/BSP based maps, just rooms with lights and textures at first, mess around with the Editor for a few weeks and get used to how it works, open up other maps and see how they do stuff. There are many tutorials on the Internet if you search. Some of the better ones are from Hourences and Angel_Mapper, plus I have more advanced tutorials and info on my web site.
UT3 tutorials should be showing up after it ships, plus the UDN3 will become public, and 3DBuzz has a bunch of videos and a couple of books coming out.

CE comes with a bunch of 3DBuzz tutorials AFAIK.
I've seen some of them already.

The best tools are not always the cheapest tools. ;)
And there are a lot of free or really inexpensive ones out there, so if you don't have the cash to buy the high-end stuff, there is no reason to pirate a copy.
Check out the free/inexpensive ones like MayaPLE or Blender for 3D, CrazyBump or ATI or NVidia tools for NormalMaps, Gimp or Irfanview or PaintShopPro for graphics/textures, etc.
If you have the cash, 3DS Max (my preferred) or Maya, ZBrush, Adobe PhotoShop or Corel PhotoPaint, etc.

See this other Epic UT3 thread on tools (http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=577717).

-SHARKGUN-
10-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Oh Oh Oh! I have another important question:

Can I just replace the flag with this bag?

Pic1 (http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9503/aufnahme387pe9.jpg)
Pic2 (http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/894/aufnahme388wg8.jpg)
Pic3 (http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/3193/aufnahme389jr3.jpg)

Molgan
10-07-2007, 02:24 PM
The answer to all your questions is: "Yes you can do everything, some things are just a bit harder": ;]

-SHARKGUN-
10-07-2007, 03:35 PM
XD I know... but is it difficult to replace the flag from Capture The Flag with an object that I created in, e.g. 3ds max?

DGUnreal
10-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Subclass it and use your own mesh. Reasonably easy to do for most static style objects. If it is a SkeletalMesh then you need to learn about animations.

cydonian
10-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Subclass it and use your own mesh. Reasonably easy to do for most static style objects. If it is a SkeletalMesh then you need to learn about animations.

Hey DG are you using the Roboblitz UE3 editor for your DM-DG-Thunder map?

DGUnreal
10-08-2007, 03:39 AM
Hey DG are you using the Roboblitz UE3 editor for your DM-DG-Thunder map?

No, that was created with the Unreal Engine 3 Licensee copy about a year and a half ago. It is really old and simple and I should replace it with something new.
All of the UE3 work I have done so far is for game studios so I don't have rights to display any on my site due to NDA's etc., but I should be able to put some of my own updated UE3 work on there soon.

Linemapper
10-09-2007, 01:19 PM
I've been working with the Roboblitz editor, which is an early version of the UnrealEd 4.0. A lot is changed from UEd 3.0 though and UEd doesn't work with textures anymore, but materials. You can add lots of effects to it, as heightmaps and normalmaps, making 2d images look 3d. The Generic Browser is also changed, making it easier to find static meshes (preview) and materials. The coolest thing is the Kismet technology, which is a visual scripting environment. You can simply have an object selected on the scene, enter Kismet and start creating actions and events for it. The Matinee is used for more than cutscenes now; you control movers with it too! Yes, now you can actually see how a mover behaves in the editor.
That, plus tons more. I can't wait until november.

cydonian
10-09-2007, 01:46 PM
you've convinced me. I just picked up Roboblitz. will be digging into the editor tonight. thanks for the info

Loz Hippy
10-09-2007, 02:27 PM
A lot is changed from UEd 3.0 though and UEd doesn't work with textures anymore, but materials.

I guess you can still import custom textures ( but they'll be called materials and/or made into materials). Is that right? :confused:

Kronos
10-09-2007, 04:39 PM
I guess you can still import custom textures ( but they'll be called materials and/or made into materials). Is that right? :confused:

No and yes. You can import custom textures but they'll remain a texture in UnrealED until you make a material for it within UnrealED.

-SHARKGUN-
10-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Uhm, how can I increase the gravity in the entire level? So that ppl can't jump... Does anyone know?

Loz Hippy
10-09-2007, 05:51 PM
No and yes. You can import custom textures but they'll remain a texture in UnrealED until you make a material for it within UnrealED.

Ok cheers :)