PDA

View Full Version : Idea's for new map for GOW

las_faiz
07-25-2007, 11:44 PM
Sorry for making a thread. Actually its my first thread ever.

Guys please post map ideas and debate about maps here

Anyways I had this idea for a new map. I hate the shotgun mania on this game. So I create a map where there is less shotgun battles more strategy
In this map theres an old house where one of the team is trapped inside. The entrance for the house is blocked so no one can go outside or can come inside. There are several windows for the battle. One team is trapped inside and the other team fires from outside. There are 2 snipers, 1 hammerburst, 2 grenades and few smoke tags inside and outside the house except outside there is a boom shot too. Every round the trapped team is switched. I think this map will bring a lot of strategy to the game rather then shotgun bashing. i have no experince what so ever with map editor. So if someone can implement this an make this map would be really cool.

Guys give your thoughts about this idea if this is any good. I have couple more ideas for later

Darth Axel 007
07-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Sorry for making a thread. Actually its my first thread ever.

Anyways I had this idea for a new map. I hate the shotgun mania on this game. So I create a map where there is less shotgun battles more strategy
In this map theres an old house where one of the team is trapped inside. The entrance for the house is blocked so no one can go outside or can come inside. There are several windows for the battle. One team is trapped inside and the other team fires from outside. There are 2 snipers, 1 hammerburst, 2 grenades and few smoke tags inside and outside the house except outside there is a boom shot too. Every round the trapped team is switched. I think this map will bring a lot of strategy to the game rather then shotgun bashing. i have no experince what so ever with map editor. So if someone can implement this an make this map would be really cool.

Guys give your thoughts about this idea if this is any good. I have couple more ideas for later

Having only windows on the side of the house kind of limits the strategy part since you're only aloud to shoot through them. Plus what's stopping the team inside the house the entire round.

Plus all the multiplayer maps in gears weren't built around shotgun battles. The shotgun was just way overused and way overpowered so everyone uses them as their primary weapon everywhere. Try playing only with the lancer on any map.

A gears map, well any shooter game map, has to be balanced completely and gives the user a sense of freedom. Your map doesn't give much freedom or navigation to the users trapped inside the house. Also there's nothing to fight for like the boomshot or sniper in Gridlock. While trying to avoid something like the torque in Canals.

You have a good idea and are on the right track, but work on the things I mentioned.

WoolyPower
07-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Axel is right, it's a nice idea, but people inside (or outside) could just find a safe spot knowing the other team can't hit them and play it out for a draw. That would get kinda old kinda fast.

PHX Punisher
07-26-2007, 08:04 AM
It would be better if there was a way for each team to get on the inside and outside of the house.

WoolyPower
07-26-2007, 10:27 AM
It would be better if there was a way for each team to get on the inside and outside of the house.

A time lock on big ass doors perhaps?

las_faiz
07-26-2007, 10:37 AM
A time lock on the entrance would be a good idea.

Whisper13
07-26-2007, 12:20 PM
The multi-player arenas need more choke points and blind corridors. More concealment options like dark shadows, craters you can duck into and jump out of or semi hidden overlooks you can climb up to and quickly bail out of.
Any good stronghold needs at least one option to flank it. Inversely if you're hold up in said stronghold and want to flank the enemy at your gates, a back door with a path that dumps you out on their 6 would be great. I have lost count of how many times an enemy has doubled back to their respawn point and hold up in it. I get tired of the same corner battle with the same ending. Wait them out or toss a grenade and rush in. I understand the need for a protected little nook for a team to respawn and regroup, but there could be a back door with a one way drop down exit. There could also be a loud kickable door that has to be kicked several time to get in from outside. This would give the home team time to duck out if they wanted or reposition to fight the flankers. "We got company."

More low angle lighting. There are some spots in the arenas where you can see an enemy's shadow from way around a corner, but they can't see your shadow at all, because of the lighting angle. This rocks, if you are quick enough to exploit it. What if the position of the sun and other lighting changed at each restart? Then the location of concealing shadows and the approach angle of blind corners would change. More shadows. Come on people, there's like an entire hour of the camp game with dark shadows and killer krill. "Swim away!!" None of these elements are well used in the original multi-player arenas. Ok, so maybe some sharpshooter is hiding in said shadow and no one is good enough to follow the air tracer back to his or her position. So, what if hidden spots expired as revealing lighting flickered randimly? What if snipers expired as krill swooped down into the shadows randomly? "It'll be dark soon and those things'll be commin' out... and then its game over man, game over!"

Put some random hazards in the arenas. Aftershocks that crack trenches into the ground. Collapsing catwalk, falling water tower, blue ice or whatever. The krill would be cool. There are some other menacing little beasties that could randomly pop out and chase down the point leader. "Why won't you die?"

What if you could jump down an emergence hole you revealed by tossing a grenade onto a crack in the concrete. Then you might come up in one of any number of locations; simply by tossing a grenade ahead of you to blow open an overhead exit. What if a manhole cover could be lifted to gain access to the sewer and an exit accessed going topside from under another. "Supplies!"

The same hole could be blown through a cracked wall, for a temporary walk-thru hole that collapses after a short time. If the locations of said cracks changed randomly at each restart it could be unpredictable. What if there were hidden corridors. "How did you get here so quickly?" "Secret passages!" Multi-kick Kickable doors in several of the arenas, yeah! Blastable doors that can be blown down on the kicker, (from the other side) before they kick the second time. Kickable double doors that allow two men rushing at once! Kickable doors that only open 6 inches on the first kick, just enough to shoot through. "You wanna eat? Eat this!!" Maybe they only kick it once and toss in a grenade. "Special delivery!"

Glitchers have been killing themselves by the thousands to find new places to kung fu flip and force mount up on to walls buildings and any thing that gives them an overlook. This really sucks for all noobs who can't and hardliners who simply will not. Then people get angry and others get booted or start their own little club. Is it really too much to ask for a ladder?! Give us vertical access! Second and third floors, rooftops that actually overlook lower decks, dark basements, sewers and catwalks would be a great start. Adding more floors would naturally separate players more and support long range strategy. It also gives short range rushers more options to outmaneuver and flank. There could be spots where the floor creaks and bullets will penetrate it, holes that can be shot through and distinctive footsteps for catwalks and sewers. Just so long ranger's have a little warning some of the time, but not all the time. "Nine meters. Eight." "Can't be. That's inside the room!"

More dynamic cover please. That is; destructible, movable and even mountable cover. Cover that we can push in front of a door to block an exit. Cover that we can push over to crush an enemy who crouches behind it. Cover that I can mount while it rolls cuz my teammate is pushin' and I only have a few seconds more to shoot cuz it's about to explode from all the bullets that are raining on it! "Yeah Baby!"

Deadly Fire! Growing fires that result from explosive weapons and explodable objects. Just like the propane canisters from the campaign game, fire could be used to light your way through dark areas or corridors.

Some of this is rehashed from an earlier post, but it's all relevant.

I wonder if the engine and code could support some cause and effect kills similar to what we have seen in the campaign? Stuff like shooting an exploding object to kill the enemy behind it. Or pushing a burning car down a hill at an enemy stronghold.

There's always the classic chandelier shot down on your head. Several objects could be used in this way. Like pushing a gargoyle off a ledge or something. Splat! I dunno... A few funny ways to kill'em might be worth exploring.

How about an arena with an inclined slope or two. What if an arena had a serious thunderstorm with harmful striking lightning? I do want to add that any random blind hazards should not kill instantly, rather they should just hurt or stun you and maybe give away your position. It would seriously suck to enter a ranked match and get taken out by a chunk of falling blue ice. lol

jgibo1
07-27-2007, 12:29 PM
How about one or two entrances to house and house is on fire. Team has 1 minute to get out before door is unlocked. Team outside has 1 minute to get inside before cloud cover allows for the hammer of dawn to be used by people inside. Then after the one minute you are either fighting your way out of house or trying to prevent them from coming out and dieing inside. But if you have to worry about hammer of dawn then you try to get inside to finish them off. Team inside either trys to keep them out or kill them with hammer of dawn or goes outside to finish the fight.

Whisper13
07-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Expiring windows of opportunity. Time limits on safe strongholds. Good examples of arena environments that force movement and draw players into confrontation.

Whisper13
07-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Hey Las faiz, if you want to play the long range angle, then train your team to support you. Have a teammate stay and cover your ass. Send the others downrange to draw fire and expose the enemy, forcing them into short range tactics. Once they make contact, have them fall back into your line of sight and keep the enemy in your field of fire. Tell them to take cover on the blind side or lateral to your position, but always just inside your field of fire. This should prompt the enemy to cross your field of fire. You will need to be one quick AR son of a gun, cuz your bird dogs don't have long before the enemy flanks them for a crossfire or regroups for a mob rush. The second you see the entire enemy team unleash your last dog. Shoot first for the fast downs and tell your team not to kill exposed downs. The downed man traps will help to keep your targets in sight. After an enemy team is killed in this way a few times, they either use a two man fire team to engage the bait while the other two hunt you down, or learn to stay out of your field of fire. Repositioning and hiding your wingman with a good view of your flanks will help.

Perhaps a level designed to better support such tactics would be more fun for you. Overlooks set on opposite sides of a huge field of fire with several breaks in the cover. There could be something up high that blocks the sniper's view from aiming high enough to kill the other sniper.

You find a sniper rifle right at the exit of your start point. You grab cover at the edge of a cliff overlooking a massive expanse. Several stalactites hang from the ceiling, protecting the enemies tiny cave high on the far side of the mammoth cavern. On the left a waterfall of imulsion empties into the river that bisects the floor below. It's eerie glow casts dark shadows behind the cover on the cavern floor. Your targets could rush from shadow to shadow behind the boulders and stalagmites. They could only be seen easily as they approach the glowing river, but there is a choke point. They will be totally exposed on the rock-archway bridge. Now the teams don't just blindly rush across the floor of the massive cavern. There is also a high cliff running along the wall from the enemy's cave to a ramp behind the waterfall. If they come along the cliff there is only intermittent cover and the waterfall of imulsion is translucent. The cliff is brightly lit as it passes behind the waterfall, so you could see them for sure. It looks like that ramp dumps them at a roll off ledge giving them one way access to this side of the river, but it's still quite a long open run across the cavern floor to your exit ramp. You wonder where the narrow passageway in the back of your start point goes? You send Dom to check it out as you watch for enemy approach. Kim and Carmine take the ramp to the right, down to the cavern floor planning to post up at the foot of the bridge. You see the enemy come down their exit ramp and take cover on their side. You count three, but one is headed into the small cave on the far lower right, where the river flows out of the cavern. Dom shouts over the com, "This dark little passage leads to a raging river of imulsion!" "It looks like I can roll off this overhanging ledge to get across, but I won't be able to come back!", he adds. You answer quickly with, "Do it, cuz you can follow that river upstream to flank the enemy, but one of them is commin' at ya'. Right now!" The enemy sniper has started to fire on your bird dogs. The cover down near the bridge is mostly round so the can't blind fire at the two enemies that are rushing the bridge. They quickly switch to cover just away from the bridge but it's lateral to the river. So now they can blind fire at the bridge from either flank, but only one of them is hidden by a dark shadow. The enemy sniper quickly capitalizes on this by shooting Carmine in the head! Kim tosses two grenades onto the bridge, downing one and sending back the other. Suddenly there is an explosion in the cave where the river drains out. "Blasted his a$$!", Dom sings out. The other rusher opens up on Kim from across the river. You were hoping to use the downed Locust on the bridge as a trap for the other, but now that Kim is under fire from the sniper too, you kill him for the psych effect. It works! The sniper has started to run high for the waterfall and you take a shot, but he dodges it with a roll behind cover! Ssshank! Boom! "Son of a! Now he's got a Torque Bow!", Kim shouts as he runs for the cover at the foot of the bridge. Looking down you see Dom haulin' A$$ outa' the cave and Boom! "You betta' run!", Dom shouts as he takes a boom-shot at the Locust rusher, from behind. The rusher was just breaking into a run and Dom's boom didn't down him. You zoom in on the sniper's last position and notice he's gone! Quickly you start scanning across the high cliff along the left wall until you see a head! Just before you fire, the dead sniper shoots Kim for a down. You kill the sniper with a head shot, at considerable range. Sshank! Boom! Dom didn't see the Locust hiding in the dark shadow behind the large stalagmite. Dom did get a really good view of the fireball when Dom exploded. Shank! Boom! Shank! Boom! The locust is shooting at the downed Kim. Why is he missing? He's trying to draw you out, or just bring the match to a draw. You scan for him but he must be hiding in the shadows. Shank! Boom! This time you see the arrow fly and shoot into the center of the shadow. With a quick shot he rolls and runs. A quick active reload and you zoom in to see him sliding into cover. As the active expires you decide to take the fight to him. A quick roadie run for the nearest shadow on the cavern floor, puts you down in it. You peek around to see the enemy run behind a big boulder. He's going to shoot from the shadows again. You aim head high at the shadow of that boulder and wait. You know that from this low angle the silhouette of a shaded figure can be seen set against the lit background of a nearby object. The shaded figure slides around the boulder and you fire! Head shot. Cog wins.

I think a cavern would be cool. It could be massive and enemies could still find each other with a spotter up high. The arena border wouldn't need any exterior graphics for background and kung fu flipping out wouldn't be an issue. You don't need to put walls between players to have a good long range game. You just need a long range arena. Good concealing cover separated by long runs across exposed ground will help. A choke point with no close by blind fire options will still encourage rushers. One good option to flank the sniper can't hurt. A sniper can always reposition if flanked. A power weapon like the Boom Shot could be put near an overlook to give a flanker a decent chance. If Dom had popped smoke and rushed the enemy overlook he might have blasted a lucky shot. The sniper could have Shot you instead of Kim. Your bird dogs could have rushed the bridge if Dom got the sniper. An earth quake could have completely exposed the snipers. A good arena needs to have several tactical options. Do you really want to fight the battle of the Alamo over and over.

I suppose two houses with a small village in the middle would work for your idea. A river with a bridge, and lots of space to run from cover to cover. Where have I seen that before?

Marcus1537
07-29-2007, 01:09 PM
ya know i was thinking about something i saw this thread about how anex sucks. well i had this idea about a stronghold defend gametype except people can get in to the bulding and well it would be locust vs cog the cog defends and locust atacks and the idea is that either the locust are npcs set at hardcore deficult level or the locust are are actual players and they have a crazy fast respawn and cog can't respawn. ofcourse there would be a timer of how long you have to defend. Idk just a thought give me your thoughts plz thanks

Marcus1537

Cole Train 101
07-29-2007, 02:23 PM
There should be a map online where you go through the city ( kind of like the first act)

Clarion Commander
07-29-2007, 07:53 PM
There should be a map online where you go through the city ( kind of like the first act)

About every place in the campain has a mp map that resembles it...

Embry Square (the city) - Old Bones and Gridlock
Ephyra - Raven Down
Imulsion Mines - Process
Conservatory - Garden
Adam's house - Mansion
Adam's stairs (lol) - Escalation
Tyro Station/The Train - Tyro Station :cool:
Area around Lethia Imulsion Factory - Bullet Marsh (i think)

lol did i miss any?

Darth Axel 007
07-29-2007, 08:05 PM
About every place in the campain has a mp map that resembles it...

Embry Square (the city) - Old Bones and Gridlock
Ephyra - Raven Down
Imulsion Mines - Process
Conservatory - Garden
Adam's house - Mansion
Adam's stairs (lol) - Escalation
Tyro Station/The Train - Tyro Station :cool:
Area around Lethia Imulsion Factory - Bullet Marsh (i think)

lol did i miss any?

Canals
Clocktower
Fuel Depot
Mausoleum
Subway
War Machine

Fatal Sh0t
07-30-2007, 02:29 AM
I always wanted a Jungle like map, with a time setting around midnight.

It was start out as 2 large wooden "camp sites" at each side of the map.

O = Camp site.

| = End of map.

_ = acts as a spacebar, ignore it.

|____O____|
|_________|
|_________|
|_________|
|_________|
|____O____|

of course, it's a relatively large map, with MANY obstacles between these two buildings.

Each camp starts out with you spawning in a rundown house made of wood, parcially ruined by age.

Each camp site has a sniper, with half ammo, which is next to a dead, and decayed cog body in a corner. Accompanied by a boltok.

When leaving the building, it is a campsite, and is circled by a wooden fence, and has a entrace/exit.

There is also an alternative route out of the camp, which is a large, dug whole which will bring you to a random position in the jungle.

The jungle is drenched in trees, which makes the other base on the other side of the map invisible.

On each side of the map, these is a tower, this tower is huge, it towers over the trees of the jungle, well most, and provides a great view for sniping, but once again, you can be sniped too, there is one on each side.

These towers are position further away from which you were spawned.

In the middle of the map is a rundown, ruined, on fire, base. large, and mostly made of wood, it contains a elevated troika, which can spin all the way around, making it so it can fire at each spawn.

More detail about the base. It is once again circled by a wooden fence, with some of it in flames, the middle of the base, it's a LARGE stone base, which has been ruined from weather, and other causes. When you walk into this base, from each side, you are giving a stairway, with a limited amount of lights, making it very dim, which will lead you to a basement, this basement contains shelves, that will hold <two> torque bows, and many peices of cover, when in a heavy fire fight. But there is ONE more stair case, which will bring you even further down, very deep, it is a very silent state, and will bring you to a large room, with ruined, flipped, on fire, tables. one of these tables contains a boomshot, which will be hard to find, on you first adventure in the map. The walls are decorated with ruined pictures of cog leaders, shelves with ripped, and parcially ruined books. Also the walls are also vaguely decorated, and ruined.

The amount of lighting down here (The base) is VERY small. Which makes it hard to see enemies.

Aside from that, the jungle it self has many pathways, with 2 pairs of frag grenades placed randomly in the jungle, and another boom shot, which is next to another dead cog body, leaning on a tree.

Weather: Night, maybe rainy (Another bullet marsh? I hope not.)

Zeronos
07-30-2007, 04:18 AM
ya know i was thinking about something i saw this thread about how anex sucks. well i had this idea about a stronghold defend gametype except people can get in to the bulding and well it would be locust vs cog the cog defends and locust atacks and the idea is that either the locust are npcs set at hardcore deficult level or the locust are are actual players and they have a crazy fast respawn and cog can't respawn. ofcourse there would be a timer of how long you have to defend. Idk just a thought give me your thoughts plz thanks

Marcus1537
I was thinking the same thing, maybe something like in act 4 where you have to protect the house, with NPCs set at hardcore with actual players, and the locusts have to break down the door and go in and kill the COG, while COG defends thee house for 7 mins, the house has a stair that goes up to the 2nd level, bottom level on each side has a hole that COG can shoot through Locusts can not jump through it, top level has 2 giant holes that COG can shoot through, COG gets 2 snipers plus Torque Bow with 4 ammo crates, and grenades, Locusts gets 2 hammerbursts 1 snipe and 1 Torque, I was thinking maybe a Boomshot spawns at the the Locust spawn like 3 min into the game then they can use it to blow down the door. respawns for Locusts and theres a timer on how long to defend or on Locust the timer is how much time left to kill all COG. This could be a game type for a level like mansion.
(sorry my english sucks)

USRangerJohn
07-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Add a snow map! Snow would kick ass.

Cole Train 101
07-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Clarion Commander I meant going through houses. And I knew somebody will say what you said

Whisper13
07-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Add a snow map! Snow would kick a$$.

Yes, a snow covered arena in a near blinding blizzard, with a few underground passages and collapsing silos. USRangerJohn, you have already written the concept for a basic model. This arena could resemble Thunder Base from The Three Fires. If it's design was based on a pre-self destruct version, there would be allot of Thunder under ground. With the snow covered surface used to flank enemies from above. Snipers could fire from the upper catwalks of missile silos and wretches or a berserker could randomly chase players out of the bunkers.

An arena modeled after a destroyed Thunder Base could use entrances to the collapsed bunker as strongholds or start points. One or two intact bunker tunnels could allow flanking from below. The trenches and craters created by the collapse would allow for cover and movement. Shattered remains of the surface structures could provide corners and doorways. Long runs of snowy terrain from cover to cover, would be fun for rushing flankers and snipers. Strong gusts of thick blizzard could reduce visibility for brief moments, to allow flankers to reposition. If the gust is too short, a rusher could be caught in the open.

Great Idea!

Cole Train 101
07-30-2007, 12:34 PM
well the snow maps better show footprints an sh'it. gotta make it realistic??

Whisper13
07-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Look I see foot prints! Lets go get this guy. Boom! Crap, we walked into an ambush!

You could be the guy who left those footprints for an unsuspecting victim to follow.

"I see dead people."

Seriously cool idea.

Whisper13
07-30-2007, 01:03 PM
How about shallow hidden trenches filled with snow that comes up to your eyeballs. There could also be holes hidden by ice and snow, that drop down into tunnels. "Enough with the falling down already!", Dom griped.

Imagine patches of ice with limited traction. Long icicles coming down into corridors with cracked ceilings, hanging over sheets of ice on the floor.

"Look at the ice on the floor at the intersection ahead!", Noob announces. A shadow reveals an enemy approaching from the intersecting corridor. Running for the ice Noob boasts, "Watch me pull off this slide by shooting!" As he hits the ice, his angle rotates to fire and he aims his Boom Shot. Tink tink tink, a grenade lands in his path as he slides into the intersection. Noob unloads as he slides past the corner, "Yeah I got that/". /Boom! Noob explodes.

Cole Train 101
07-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Look I see foot prints! Lets go get this guy. Boom! Crap, we walked into an ambush! Yeah cool idea.

I asked for foot prints to make it more realistic dumbass. when you walk in snow you see your foot prints

Whisper13
07-30-2007, 04:55 PM
I asked for foot prints to make it more realistic dumbass. when you walk in snow you see your foot prints

Relax:rolleyes:, I wasn't being sarcastic. Footprints really are a cool idea.
Cool for more than one reason. One being that they look more realistic, and another being that they can be useful.

There are many realistic environmental details that gamers dismiss as just cool looking or cool sounding. A closer examination of such details can reveal useful tactical advantages. Leaning to exploit these little details that others overlook, can give you an edge that still falls within the realm of fair play.
I can appreciate the eye candy, but sometimes it can be more than meets the eye. Don't you agree?

Cole Train 101
07-30-2007, 06:01 PM
my bad whisper

I have a bad temper

Whisper13
07-30-2007, 06:30 PM
my bad whisper

I have a bad temper

As the onslaught of Locust close in on their position, Whisper13 takes cover next to Cole Train 101 and growls, "Good, use it!"

xXGearHunterXx420
07-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Hm what about a very wooded and hidden maps that really makes it easier to plan and exacute ambushes I also think in the G.O.W. 2 that if they add a map like that, that they should also let you customize your armor in multiplayer that would do great for camuflouge dont you think

USRangerJohn
07-30-2007, 07:28 PM
Well Bullet marsh is exactly the map I asked for after I got gears. I asked for a battle in the woods with a base on one side. Its not exactly like what I requested but close enough. Anyway a snow map would be cool. Especially if you base it off of thunder base.

xXGearHunterXx420
07-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Dude seriosly that would kick A$$ and I liked bullet marsh and gave me alot of what I wanted but when I say wooded area I saw more of darker gridderer map with dead cogs eveywhere a lot more trees and maybe like one huge base you know what I'm saying

Spunky Lemon
07-31-2007, 07:28 AM
I think somthing that makes a good game is the jumping value it gives you when you are scared. Getting scared and panicing gets the blood pumping, adrenalin flowing. The best scary places we see in the movies are in our own homes. What would get you more pumped and excited than not knowing if someones hiding in the bedroom closet? Even more, that someone ready to kill, and chainsaw you in half.
I think a good idea for a map would be in a neighborhood. Several houses on either side of the street, some cracked wide open, many rooms and hiding places. What's more blood rushing than not knowing what's in the dark narrow hallway?
Some houses caved into large Locus holes, some on fire, and some houses cramped, barracaded by home owners to defend against locus attack. Some two story houses with open windows for sniping.
The streets would be partially clean of debree for a large battle in the middle, the street very dark. "What was that just now?" Someone would say as a shadow passed over the street from one house to another.

FZ NEMESIS
07-31-2007, 10:12 AM
would be nice to see sniper towers where the only way to access them is to scale up a ladder

Whisper13
07-31-2007, 11:10 AM
Hm what about a very wooded and hidden maps that really makes it easier to plan and exacute ambushes I also think in the G.O.W. 2 that if they add a map like that, that they should also let you customize your armor in multiplayer that would do great for camuflouge dont you think

A better forest map would be a helluv'a lotta' fun! A full moon on the horizon casts nightshade on the dark side of massive redwoods. Revealing moonbeams peer between the trees. Fireflies twinkle in the mist that hangs overhead. A starry night sky can be seen far above the treetops. An owl shrieks to break the calm of crickets and a babbling brook. Craters, foxholes and a few fallen trees show scars of a long forgotten battle. Corrals of shrubs and ferns hide weapons and ammo. Footpaths lead across the terrain. The landscape is a winding mix of rocky ridges and dark valleys. They stair-step and cut into a gradual incline, at the foot of a mountain. A trek up the rocky slope provides an overlook into the dimly lit forest. Only scattered boulders and long tree shadows provide concealment above the tree line. A mountain stream flows into a canyon that snakes through the trees. Narrow footbridges cross canyons and connect ridge-lines, overlooking footpaths below. The start points are set on opposite ends in the forest, with the mountain on one flank. Your team can run the high ground or creep through the low forest valleys. A thin blanket of pine needles muffles your footsteps, unless you snap a twig or kick a rock off a ledge. A sniper on the mountain side could only see you walking out of the shadows, on a ridge-line. So, flanking and ambushes would be best down on the footpaths in the valleys and canyons.

I think something that makes a good game is the jumping value it gives you when you are scared. Getting scared and panicing gets the blood pumping, adrenalin flowing. The best scary places we see in the movies are in our own homes. What would get you more pumped and excited than not knowing if someones hiding in the bedroom closet? Even more, that someone ready to kill, and chainsaw you in half.
I think a good idea for a map would be in a neighborhood. Several houses on either side of the street, some cracked wide open, many rooms and hiding places. What's more blood rushing than not knowing what's in the dark narrow hallway?
Some houses caved into large Locus holes, some on fire, and some houses cramped, barracaded by home owners to defend against locus attack. Some two story houses with open windows for sniping.
The streets would be partially clean of debree for a large battle in the middle, the street very dark. "What was that just now?" Someone would say as a shadow passed over the street from one house to another.

Yeah, and a squashed tricycle next to a little doll in the front yard. Exiting footprints in blood on the doorstep of a kicked in door. Remnants of a family dinner rotting on the table and remnants of the family rotting on the floor. Creepy. As you enter the living room, you kick a severed hand. Look closer. It has something in it's grasp. It's gripping an XBox 360 controller. Sickness! I like it.

Kronos
07-31-2007, 11:57 AM
I have three maps in mind that I'll start building when I get the time.
The first one is a very nice, large, outdoor map. This map will contain alot of dead tall trees, lots of tall dead grass, and lots of broken down shed's/old homes. The map will be taking place during the day and it'll be alot larger then any of the stock Gears of War maps.

The second map I had in mind was a giant bathroom map, similar to the ones in UT, but this one I'll hopefully succeed in shaping it more towards GoW play style then UT.

Last but not least my 3rd map I had in mind, and this is ultimately the one I'd really like to take advantage with Unreal Kismet. The map will be based on a D-Day Omaha(correct me if I spelled that wrong) beach style of play, where one team charges up the beach while the other defends.

You will most likly be able to disable shotguns on the PC version for a server. If for some reason you cant, you can certainly do it through the UnrealED for a map.

xXGearHunterXx420
07-31-2007, 12:00 PM
Although I have seen tat being done before you have great idea with the bathroom thing but maybe should change up the beach one alittle

Kronos
07-31-2007, 12:03 PM
Yea, most likly the charging team is going to have alot more deaths, hopefully with unreal kismet I'll be able to increase the death ammount on the charging team, so they can die multiple times until they get up the beach.

At anyrate, no matter what I do, it'll definitly be its own gametype style, considering the circumstances.

xXGearHunterXx420
07-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Yeah that would make it alot better and more fun to play

Whisper13
07-31-2007, 12:24 PM
Yea, most likly the charging team is going to have alot more deaths, hopefully with unreal kismet I'll be able to increase the death ammount on the charging team, so they can die multiple times until they get up the beach.

At anyrate, no matter what I do, it'll definitly be its own gametype style, considering the circumstances.

If boomshots and torquebows were put behind cover on the beach, offensive teams would have better odds. The barricades and sand dunes could be staggered to give multiple approach options. If the defenders have any triokas, then a beached landing craft could have a well armored chaingun.

Sounds fun.

xXGearHunterXx420
07-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Hm thats a good idea never thought of that

Whisper13
07-31-2007, 01:52 PM
Hm thats a good idea never thought of that

Yeah, just study the beginning of Saving Private Ryan. Its a very good example of offensive movement in this situation. They were totaly exposed until they made it to the sand dunes, except for an ocasional belgian gate.
Read the page at this address for "belgian gate". http://www.specwarnet.net/americas/NCDU.htm

Kronos
07-31-2007, 02:04 PM
Yea I figured for the D-Day map I'm building I'll relocate the spawn on the offensive team once they make it up the beach to the entrence of the trenches.
But it aint guna be a walk in the park to get up the beach, I plan on having lots of weapons fire from machine guns and explosions, from both player controlled and AI controlled weapons/turrets.

The offensive team will most likly have many different variety for there weapons aswell.

Whisper13
07-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Where do I sign up!:eek:

Whisper13
08-01-2007, 01:59 PM

In this map theres an old house where one of the team is trapped inside. The entrance for the house is blocked so no one can go outside or can come inside. There are several windows for the battle. One team is trapped inside and the other team fires from outside. There are 2 snipers, 1 hammerburst, 2 grenades and few smoke tags inside and outside the house except outside there is a boom shot too. Every round the trapped team is switched. I think this map will bring a lot of strategy to the game rather then shotgun bashing. i have no experience what so ever with map editor. So if someone can implement this and make this map would be really cool.

After further consideration and some recent siege scenario game play, I think this could be very much fun.

If you think back to defending the Fenix estate, you may recall that the Locust gain entry to the house by using an explosive tipped battering ram. If this tool were available to the assault team and it could be used on the front and back door, we could have an awesome arena here.

Maybe there could be a basement/cellar entrance as well.

If the team under siege suddenly had to switch to fighting rushers and bleszerkers, it would give every one a chance to play their kind of game.

Long range, short range and all the tactics in between.

If you want this map to bring a lot of strategy to the game, then it needs an attainable objective and several tactical options to attack and defend it.

What would be the point of defending the house if there was no chance the enemy could get in?

What would be the point of assaulting the house if you could not get in?

If the front door had a time lock, the defending team could just set up an ambush at the door and wait it out.

Knowing the front door had a time lock, the assault team could stay under cover until it opens.

One entry way means the same choke point every time, with no options to flank.

Think about it and make some suggestions people.

I recall a level from the Call of Duty series, in which you play as Russians defending a house from every angle.
Running from window to window, chasing flankers and responding to new threats, was a hell of alotta' fun!

Taffer
08-08-2007, 02:28 PM
I had this random idea come into my head from seemingly out of nowhere, so apologies in advance if it sounds disjointed or confusing.

Anyway I was thinking about how to enforce more cooperative play on the players. So I began looking at different actions that would require more than one person to accomplish.

For example, imagine an area of the map where there is relatively no cover, except for a large destroyed car. Now, one player can opt to push this car by themselves, but it would move much faster the more players are pushing it. This encourages players to help eachother out to accomplish similar goals.

Another idea is to have a wall that players can only climb with the help from another player. Example: Player 1 lifts Player 2 up so he can mantle onto the higher ground, then Player 2 pulls Player 1 up. It'd probably be good to have this happen all as one animation, otherwise if Player 2 is a jackass they would end up leaving Player 1 behind.

Another idea is to have the tram from the Lethal Dusk chapter, where one player has to turn the wheel, but they will need other players to cover them as they approach the enemy base in the tram.

I'll work more on encorporating these ideas into a map concept, but I just wanted to get feedback on the idea itself of enforcing cooperation (although not making it impossible incase you have fewer players).

Whisper13
08-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Thats a great idea! Cooperative ways to surmount greater obstacles would make team work really pay off. How about obstacles so heavy that they can only be moved by two players. Such objects could be pushed over to reveal a new corridor or block an entrance.

USRangerJohn
08-13-2007, 11:42 AM
You know I just had a great idea for a map. Why not make a Gears of War map like Blood Gultch or Beaver Creek from Halo. You give the Coalition a base and the Locust a base and have them battle in the middle. It would be fun especially if you put power weapons in the middle.

Whisper13
08-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Overlooks for snipers, power weapons to counter with and tight corridors for close arms fighting. This could work really well. A map firmly rooted in the basics would really round out the selection. Nice.

LordDirk
08-14-2007, 02:28 AM
I think that a city street level would be awesome as well as a close corridor factory level. That's about it for now. hah, you'd think I of all people would have more ideas ;)

bluedeath117
08-14-2007, 02:52 PM
One with trap doors with retches in them

< Profess >
09-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Something that makes more use of Troika machineguns.

Like a map themed/based on the Indoor battles with them in Act 1.
With plenty of MG nests.

Lots of flanking potential, and cover to do so, forcing a bit of tactical play from the weapons domminearing effect.

something like team one spawn is near the troikas and team 2's from just beyond them, so it rotates the attack/defend setup.

a layout like tyro station, but onesided with Troikas on one side, and longshots/torques on the other, lots of cover.

---

Infact that aside the area where carmine dies would be good if the teams started inside the building, either side of the Troika.

mmmpeaches9
09-06-2007, 04:11 PM
axel sounds like a cool idea.:D

KILLTHEIF
09-06-2007, 09:15 PM
The Beserker mod while 2 teams battle2 berkers will spawn in the middle and go out and kill anyone they see(Besides each others)

Phayte
06-04-2008, 11:32 AM
i made a minigame along those lines, its a maze, but ALL the walls are breakable, and you cant see the beserker when its on the other side of a wall, but it can sure as hell hear you