PDA

View Full Version : Adrenaline

OakCoast
02-17-2007, 12:01 AM
will the adrenaline system be similar to UT2K4?

Hsoolien
02-17-2007, 12:12 AM
As I understand, there isn't going to be adrenaline o_O

Krawler
02-17-2007, 12:59 AM
would be cool to give players abilities if they reach goals like "flak monkey" and such... because right now.... alls we get is a cool announcement, would be neat if they gave a "prize" but than again, that would give the better players even more power.

Jake-SF
02-17-2007, 01:34 AM
that would give the better players even more power.

And that is exactly why we don't want that.

UnrealGrrl
02-17-2007, 01:42 AM
announcements are cool, giant pills are so 70s ;)

make adrenaline / relics an addon or mutator, but not default...

Kronos
02-17-2007, 01:43 AM
First of all I'd like to see rewards for every weapon. Second of all I think they otta just change the names to all "weapon name Whore", such as Flak Whore, SHockWhore ect. And when you get one of them like flakwhore, instead of rewarding u with somthing, you are instead limited to only using that weapon, making all other weapons unavaible for the match. HAHAH
Thus making people who whore weapons not wanting to whore.

MOHAHAHA

Kold_
02-17-2007, 02:42 AM
I'd like to see an icon next to your name on the scoreboard when you get the special weapon rewards.

Ultron
02-17-2007, 03:43 AM
I'd like to see an icon next to your name on the scoreboard when you get the special weapon rewards.

Ah, you see, that'll be called the wh0reboard, too.... ;)

sledGe
02-17-2007, 05:02 AM

lol are you only playing games for collecting Medals "look how big is mine".

The only announcement that should be added for you kidz is "Statsmonkey" which will result in an permanent Ban! :mad:

Molgan
02-17-2007, 05:44 AM
First of all I'd like to see rewards for every weapon. Second of all I think they otta just change the names to all "weapon name Whore", such as Flak Whore, SHockWhore ect. And when you get one of them like flakwhore, instead of rewarding u with somthing, you are instead limited to only using that weapon, making all other weapons unavaible for the match. HAHAH
Thus making people who whore weapons not wanting to whore.

MOHAHAHA
Best idea in the history of these boards. :)

rsgs92
02-17-2007, 05:48 AM
Why do you say there would not be any adrenaline. It is that what helped me win the capture the flag matches.

Nietzsche
02-17-2007, 05:59 AM
Why do you say there would not be any adrenaline. It is that what helped me win the capture the flag matches.

Because the world has moved on.

rsgs92
02-17-2007, 10:29 AM
welcome back neitzsche. Old habits die hard and great features too but no problem it's not gonna bring a immense difference to the game if it is there or not, would it?

Mort_Q
02-17-2007, 12:00 PM
I don't mind the idea of Adrenaline... an earned power-up is cool... I just HATE the name.

Call it something else. Lose the pill motif. Make it a mutator.

Boksha
02-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Pretty much everything about adrenaline was flawed if you ask me.
Giving additional powers to whoever is winning is a bad idea. Making it useless unless you reach a certain amount, at which point you can only use ALL of it at once is a bad idea. Having completely unbalanced combos is a bad idea. Having it activate with a certain keycombo was a VERY bad idea, especially when coupled with the other problems.
If they manage to fix those problems I wouldn't mind seeing it make a return, but I'm very happy to see UT2004-style adrenaline go even if we don't get something else in return.

DagnyTaggart
02-20-2007, 06:21 AM
I want a message to come across the screen when someone gets 3 kills in a row with the pulse rifle/link gun that says, "<Player> likes flaming green penis."

Hickeroar
02-20-2007, 11:19 AM
I think they should do away with adrenaline and go with a more traditional approach like UT had. Invisibility was a pickup, etc. They could make a speed pickup as well. Berserk and so-on. Basically Relics....

FliccC
02-20-2007, 12:07 PM

Thats the reason Adrenaline is usually turned off on every decent server.

No reason to put Adrenaline on the server anyway. Maybe in TAM but for TDM and especially CTF it is a bad idea in my opinion.

rsgs92
02-20-2007, 12:47 PM
I think they should do away with adrenaline and go with a more traditional approach like UT had. Invisibility was a pickup, etc. They could make a speed pickup as well. Berserk and so-on. Basically Relics....

Having relics would crowd the map. Be a distraction while in the midst of a bloddy battle. HAving them in unaccesible places is pointless too cause the reward of getting such a thing does not balance it out to getting to a nearly unreachable place.

Dua1ity
02-20-2007, 01:04 PM
would be cool to give players abilities if they reach goals like "flak monkey" and such... because right now.... alls we get is a cool announcement

I always thought it was "Black monkey" :eek:

EntropicLqd
02-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Having relics would crowd the map. Be a distraction while in the midst of a bloddy battle...
Did you ever play with the UT Relics mutator?

Very distracting but an utter blast. Nothing like covering the FC with the vengance relic ... highly distracting when that thing appeared :D

While not reccomended for clan matches and the like they were great fun.

Righteous_Slayer
02-20-2007, 02:17 PM
It seems to me that adrenaline is more appropriate for single player. Similar to the idea of limit breaks in most FF games, I think adrenaline should be more interactive instead of just pressing up four times. the instant kill combos from UC2 were a good feature and I think something like that should be brought into ut3. However I'd like to make it clear that I do not support this idea for multiplayer. The idea of special abilities is quite and unbalanced one. That is why it would work better in single player. For instance if there were boss battles, or just enemies that were tougher, some kind of adrenaline activated power up would be cool to give you the edge you need. But all the leet haxors in multiplayer definitely don't need that extra edge.

Ward
02-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Although I'm not very pr0 adrenaline, I must say I do like your idea.

Mort_Q
02-20-2007, 03:06 PM
It seems to me that adrenaline is more appropriate for single player. Similar to the idea of limit breaks in most FF games, I think adrenaline should be more interactive instead of just pressing up four times. the instant kill combos from UC2 were a good feature and I think something like that should be brought into ut3. However I'd like to make it clear that I do not support this idea for multiplayer. The idea of special abilities is quite and unbalanced one. That is why it would work better in single player. For instance if there were boss battles, or just enemies that were tougher, some kind of adrenaline activated power up would be cool to give you the edge you need. But all the leet haxors in multiplayer definitely don't need that extra edge.

Well said.

hilo_
02-20-2007, 03:22 PM
I don't mind the idea of Adrenaline... an earned power-up is cool... I just HATE the name.

Call it something else. Lose the pill motif. Make it a mutator.

From the perspective of the mapper, making adrenaline a mutator would be annoying.. mappers would have to place "potential" adrenaline pickups, which may or may not be used at all. Having a variable item placement would further complicate balancing the map.

Overall I say either have it in every map or leave it out of the game completely, having it as a mutator just over complicates things.

Mort_Q
02-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Overall I say either have it in every map or leave it out of the game completely, having it as a mutator just over complicates things.

Then I say... leave it out.

hilo_
02-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Then I say... leave it out.

I agree :)

My point was that it would be better to have it fully integrated into the game than added in as a mutator (if leaving it out of the game was out of the question) because of issues I raised. Personally I'm glad it's out.

Boksha
02-21-2007, 10:46 AM
From the perspective of the mapper, making adrenaline a mutator would be annoying.. mappers would have to place "potential" adrenaline pickups, which may or may not be used at all. Having a variable item placement would further complicate balancing the map. How is that different from our current situation?

Mort_Q
02-21-2007, 12:12 PM
If adrenaline wasn't in maps, then a mutator to add them would need to use some sort of existing map actor (or whatever they're called) to know where to be placed.

Relics used pathnodes. Functional, but not very pretty. Adrenaline could use health vials, or something...

... again, I'm not that concerned... I won't really miss it.

JaFO
02-21-2007, 01:34 PM
And that is exactly why we don't want that.

Perhaps we should remove all pickups since only the 'best' players can get them while the rest has to make do with just the default-weapon ... :rolleyes:

ie : if you really want a game that does not 'reward' the 'best' player with items then you should chose a pure class-based game that does not have any pickups of any kind.

// ---
I've always like the chaotic/unpredictable nature of extra's like Relics and Adrenaline. It's another welcome tool in the arsenal.

It's not distracting in battle at all... and if it is then either you've got very little focus on the task at hand or your enemy was better at making you lose focus by using the stuff.

Of course it wasn't perfect, but what is at first release ?
I think there were only two problems :
- mixing pickups with automatic adrenaline rewards
Only one should have been chosen with pickups bringing it closer to the classic powerups in style while keeping the tactical nature of the system in place. The auto-reward-system could have been used in the sp-campaign to give the player an edge over his enemies.

- (hidden) key-combo's
It's not an adventure/puzzle but a combat-sim so any feature should be taught to the player (by the game/tutorials/manual) instead of discovered by accident. You simply can not rely on a community to distribute the information as it is too tempting to turn it into an insider-only secret (which is what happened to dodge-jumping).

The 100-limit and balance-issues could have been solved by using the amount of adrenaline as a means of setting parameters like the duration and strength of the effect.

// ---
I think the arcade-racer Burnout has the best example of an adrenaline-like system that works without making the 'best' player unstoppable.

Perhaps that is the real flaw of the adrenaline-rules. It wasn't integrated into the game as well as it could/should have been. It feels like a mutator that was written by a few outsiders ... IT isn't bad, but it never feels quite right whenever you use it.

FragMagnet
02-21-2007, 06:18 PM
> I think the arcade-racer Burnout has the best example of an adrenaline-like
> system that works without making the 'best' player unstoppable.

Are you referring to 'boost'?

IMO adreneline was a gimmicky idea that felt like an afterthought and - as many people pointed out - clashed with the mood and theme that is UT.

The relics were a blast though. I only play for enjoyment (not competition) so I didn't view them as unfair. I think, however, they would lose their appeal if they were on every map, every game style, all the time.

JaFO
02-22-2007, 02:17 PM
yup ... the boost-feature. I think it was at its best in Burnout 3. The latter sequels kind of made the same mistake that almost any 'reward'-system inevitably makes : it became too easy to acquire that it ceased to be a reward.

I think that it only clashed with the mood/theme of UT because it didn't really feel like you were being rewarded for anything in particular. That is one thing that Burnout did right. It always highlighted whatever it was that you were being rewarded for (ie : dangerous driving).

In UT there was no feedback at all except the 'adrenaline full'-notification. That also made it feel like it wasn't part of the game at all.

The entire game is based on over-the-top almost cartoon-like violence that is quite literally unreal. So why would we have to worry about whether or not an adrenaline-system fits the style ?

Consider what the 'double kill'/headshot-announcements add to UT in terms of flavour. Why would an actual reward like adrenaline be at odds with the setting ?
IMHO it wouldn't have to be at odds. In fact I am surprised that they didn't try it earlier ...

4n71r14d
01-04-2008, 08:44 AM
From the perspective of the mapper, making adrenaline a mutator would be annoying.. mappers would have to place "potential" adrenaline pickups, which may or may not be used at all. Having a variable item placement would further complicate balancing the map.

From the perspective of a mapper, its NOT annoying making adrenaline mutator.. the idea is simple just its when u kill someonez u get 'x' % of all the 100% adrenaline and that's all. ;)

like in 2k4 u can configure :
- %adrernaline% / kills
- combo duration time
- [x] select to replace health vial with adrenaline pickups...

of course you cannot use combos with a xbox/ps3 pad.......

Mike888
01-04-2008, 08:47 AM
leveling up is addicting. you can see this with games such as WoW, cod4, bf2, etc.

I think ut should implement the same type of thing. Unlock some taunts, characters, etc, as the player increases in rank.

sigh, all these things should have been added =/

4n71r14d
01-04-2008, 08:50 AM
leveling up is addicting. you can see this with games such as WoW, cod4, bf2, etc.

I think ut should implement the same type of thing. Unlock some taunts, characters, etc, as the player increases in rank.

sigh, all these things should have been added =/

all we have todo is wait for a RPG mutator like in 2k4 but adrenaline is tactically very important ina CTF game

wish they make it$.