PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Suggestion: Mine

SquallWindblade
01-13-2007, 04:59 PM
I was scrolling through the Gears of War weapons lists, and I realized that there was one thing missing: an Anti-Personnel Trap. I wasn't sure how to approach the balancing and suggested damage ratios, but after some conversation with one of my gaming friends, we came up with the following:

The Laser APT

If you were to pick up the 2-Pack of Laser APTs, they would replace your grenade, be it smoke, or frag. There is a very good reason for this, and you will see soon.

The R Trigger would be used to set the bomb, which would take approximately .5 seconds longer than a standard weapon pickup, leaving a character setting the APT vulnerable to attack, and then the B button would arm the weapon, giving the user ample time to get away from the weapon. Once the arming button has been pressed, a single beep similar to that of the grenade would be heard, and 1.5 seconds later, the weapon would be armed.

This function is important, as it leaves a window of opportunity. If the person who laid the APT were to be killed before the weapon were armed, it would automatically detonate in 3 seconds. If it is not armed for 10 seconds after placement, the weapon would automatically arm.

Once armed, the weapon cloaks. This is why the smoke or frag would have to be replaced with the APT. A smoke, when it goes off, would reveal a laser dome around the APT, allowing a user the following options: Shoot it with any weapon other than the Shotgun, and it will simply detonate, or throw a grenade next to it, and watch them both go off, in an explosion that would ignore friendly fire, since it would effectively be two explosions at once.

It would not only give a neat feature to the smoke grenade, but it would give a solid reason to keep the smoke over the frag, thus making it a good balancing weapon.

Any foe (or yourself, of course) inside the approximately 2 (in-game) feet circle of explosive death would be dead. Any character in two more feet would receive minor damage and a standard 1.2 second stun. I estimated the ranges, but it would function like a Torque Bow arrow explosion, rather than a full-on grenade.

Feel free to help me adjust numbers, or give me feedback on what you think. Keep in mind that with the APT equipped and in the ready, you are totally vulnerable, thus the reason it is such a powerful explosion. Shooting the weapon while it is being placed would also result in a firey death, as well.

Feedback is greatly appreciated, and I'd be more than happy to clarify any of the specifics on the APT. Have a great day everyone!

ViRUS 85
01-13-2007, 05:28 PM
Its a good idea but I don't like it just because it promotes camping.

SquallWindblade
01-13-2007, 09:11 PM
You think so? I really didn't consider that point. Well, if there were only one mine, rather than two... would that help?

I didn't think the range of the mine would be enough to encompass an entire doorway, but rather it would stop people from picking up certain weapons (I know a lot of people who wanted to put it on the grenade tags) and protect those players who can't stop grenade taggers even 1% of the time.

Also, the length of the arming time and the length of the placement time were as such that it would be used in a location with no one there -- yet.

Imagine the map War Machine. If the location of the mine pickup was between the tomb and the back wall, a player could rush that mine, put it on the torque bow, and get back to help his buddies take the sniper.

How might it be altered to help with the pace of the game?

X UNTAMED X
01-13-2007, 09:33 PM
When someone is chasing you, just throw a frag right in front of you or off the wall so it can bounce back and kill the person. Takes skill and luck but it works.

Crossfire889
01-13-2007, 10:51 PM
not to be a flamer but i think that it would cause a lot of people to camp for example if your on gridlock you could just put a mine in the hallway where the hammerburst is and you'd be pretty much unstoppable unless 2 people rush you mabey if you could shoot it and explode it then it would be fine, one more thing you should be able to see the laser

{SM}LeadSniper
01-13-2007, 11:31 PM
ill say this its well thought out. though if they did implement it it would only be able to be used in player matches which could rise to some funny shinaigans. (thinks on the sheer explosion of having a whole street in gridlock littered with them and all causing each other setting off.)

chsirish73
01-13-2007, 11:38 PM
i really dont think camping is that big of an issue in gears because its so easy to get behind people in the game, and because of the range he is talking about you would have to be pretty close to it for you to be killed or injured.

SquallWindblade
01-13-2007, 11:59 PM
This is good feedback, please, by all means, keep it coming!

Federbeast
01-14-2007, 01:17 AM
I think the only thing I'd add would be that the mine beeps regularly so that you know it's in the general area and can throw a smoke grenade accordingly.

wonkers
01-14-2007, 02:15 PM
#1. Gears of war is run and gun.
#2. Can't be used in multiplayer. For so many reason.
#3. Why add more weapons to this game? They are making a GOW2.
#4. What is the counter to this weapon again?
#5. If it was truly a good idea it would allready be in the game or will come out in GOW2.

Enough said.

SquallWindblade
01-14-2007, 02:28 PM
#1 Gears of War is a strategic 3rd person shooter like Paintball.
#2 Designed specifically for multiplayer.
#3 Because variety = good. Sequels are nice, but updates are better.
#4 The extreme vulnerability of the weapon, the small range, the fact that you can't carry other grenades
#5 You're right, and that's why Epic didn't take out the host names.

snl25
01-14-2007, 02:31 PM
I actually like this idea, and promotes more strategy then just running around looking behind every corner. Instead one person would have to toss smoke grenades to check if any of those Laser APT's were set. Any map that had that weapon set would promote a lot more strategy. I see so many people not taking cover and just running about. This would force them to get behind something and plan their next move, rather then the "let's rush them" and die scenario I get from a lot of teams.

Good idea! I like it.

SquallWindblade
01-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Thank you Snl, I'm glad you saw that too.

I can take constructive criticism of the design of the weapon, but like everything else, tweaks and such would be needed. Perhaps Epic may see the feedback and take what they think are the best ideas, and for that, I properly say this:

This thread is the property of Epic Games, INC.

EDIT:

Okay, so here is the current list of changes to the mine:

1. The mine is no longer invisible, it would show up as a distortion, about the size of Carmine's head, to provide a bit of balance for those who wouldn't want to carry a smoke tag with them.

2. The range would be decreased to 1.5 feet. Skilled trappers would still be able to block a whole doorway, but not quite as easy to do since you'd have to be standing in the doorway to do it.

L33t2thdoc
01-15-2007, 10:01 AM
not to be a flamer but i think that it would cause a lot of people to camp for example if your on gridlock you could just put a mine in the hallway where the hammerburst is and you'd be pretty much unstoppable unless 2 people rush you mabey if you could shoot it and explode it then it would be fine, one more thing you should be able to see the laser

Two problems, the sniper rifle and grenades. Otherwise you'd be snug as a bug.

Black RL
01-15-2007, 10:16 AM
They should include a FLAME THROWER in the next game! :D

SquallWindblade
01-15-2007, 01:02 PM
If you could see the laser at all times, the mine would never stop anyone. The full range of the explosion would be outlined, not just the mine.

As I said in my edit, it should be visible, but not readily visible. If you could see the light distortion field that it would make when it cloaks, then perhaps it would be more fair.

The only way the laser range is visible is if you throw a smoke grenade. This is good balance as well because most people throw smoke into doorways (See: Front Door of the Mansion) and that is also where most people would set the mine.

To say the weapon isn't powerful would be stupid, however, power =/= cheapness. I'd like people to seriously consider the mine and see what strategy it has to offer.

Hickeroar
01-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Weapon changes in published games are a VERY bad idea. It won't happen. Maybe GOW 2 will take some of the suggestions under advisement, but in this game, you had better get used to exactly what they give you, and nothing more.

SquallWindblade
01-15-2007, 06:29 PM
You're right, and that's why they didn't mention adding the Metalstorm to the game, or that they were considering and kept confirming that weapons are very possible.

Nemisis680
01-15-2007, 06:57 PM
#1. Gears of war is run and gun.
#2. Can't be used in multiplayer. For so many reason.
#3. Why add more weapons to this game? They are making a GOW2.
#4. What is the counter to this weapon again?
#5. If it was truly a good idea it would allready be in the game or will come out in GOW2.

Enough said.

ummm answer to #4

it would be good if they made it noticeable like flashing red or some **** then you just shoot it from a distance and bamm there you go

SquallWindblade
01-15-2007, 07:54 PM
If you would read the posts, you'd figure out that the counters are numerous.

It's a distorted cloak, so it's visible.
Shooting it from a distance will blow it up.
Shooting it while they're trying to lay it blows the guy up.
The range isn't all that big, meaning strategic placement.
Smoke grenades reveal THE ENTIRE RANGE, revealing the weapon and everything around it!

Nemisis680
01-15-2007, 09:05 PM
well if it blows up in there hand if they shoot it welll there problem hide it behind a car so when they take cover boom

SquallWindblade
01-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Is that really a bad thing though? It would be awesome if you were having an intense firefight and you went to take cover and BOOM!

Grubscratcher
01-16-2007, 05:31 AM
I think I get to say it!

WORST. IDEA. EVER!

Right? not to flame or anything

Omega360x
01-16-2007, 07:03 AM
I was scrolling through the Gears of War weapons lists, and I realized that there was one thing missing: an Anti-Personnel Trap. I wasn't sure how to approach the balancing and suggested damage ratios, but after some conversation with one of my gaming friends, we came up with the following:

The Laser APT

If you were to pick up the 2-Pack of Laser APTs, they would replace your grenade, be it smoke, or frag. There is a very good reason for this, and you will see soon.

The R Trigger would be used to set the bomb, which would take approximately .5 seconds longer than a standard weapon pickup, leaving a character setting the APT vulnerable to attack, and then the B button would arm the weapon, giving the user ample time to get away from the weapon. Once the arming button has been pressed, a single beep similar to that of the grenade would be heard, and 1.5 seconds later, the weapon would be armed.

This function is important, as it leaves a window of opportunity. If the person who laid the APT were to be killed before the weapon were armed, it would automatically detonate in 3 seconds. If it is not armed for 10 seconds after placement, the weapon would automatically arm.

Once armed, the weapon cloaks. This is why the smoke or frag would have to be replaced with the APT. A smoke, when it goes off, would reveal a laser dome around the APT, allowing a user the following options: Shoot it with any weapon other than the Shotgun, and it will simply detonate, or throw a grenade next to it, and watch them both go off, in an explosion that would ignore friendly fire, since it would effectively be two explosions at once.

It would not only give a neat feature to the smoke grenade, but it would give a solid reason to keep the smoke over the frag, thus making it a good balancing weapon.

Any foe (or yourself, of course) inside the approximately 2 (in-game) feet circle of explosive death would be dead. Any character in two more feet would receive minor damage and a standard 1.2 second stun. I estimated the ranges, but it would function like a Torque Bow arrow explosion, rather than a full-on grenade.

Feel free to help me adjust numbers, or give me feedback on what you think. Keep in mind that with the APT equipped and in the ready, you are totally vulnerable, thus the reason it is such a powerful explosion. Shooting the weapon while it is being placed would also result in a firey death, as well.

Feedback is greatly appreciated, and I'd be more than happy to clarify any of the specifics on the APT. Have a great day everyone!

Good idea...but

The mines would not cloak, you could disarm mines by shooting them and only 1 mine per clan/team could be placed at any given time.

Also, the mine must be sticky so you can throw it anywhere on a wall or ceiling or object (not players).

SquallWindblade
01-16-2007, 10:30 AM
If they didn't cloak, no one would ever die by a mine. Except for maybe the guy who posted my post from when he wanted the shotgun to have a chainsaw.

If it's a distorted cloak, it would be difficult to see, but possible, and the only weapon that can't break it is the shotgun, because it forces players to somewhat disarm themselves if they want to break it.

Throwing it on a wall or ceiling or object is useless with a two-foot range.

1 mine per clan/team is silly, considering that the mine would be a weapon pickup and you'd only get 2 per pickup. Why not just let it be two?

I know people hate weapons that might actually kill them, but, please, for the sake of balance, remember that if it isn't deadly, it's useless.

SquallWindblade
01-16-2007, 04:36 PM
bump zig for great justice!

BTW, I know you think you're all cool by using my rainbow "Worst. Idea. Ever!" but you're not. You still had a really crappy idea.